• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of January 2021

Hello and Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. 2020 was an interesting year to say the least, but now we are in 2021, and the Tinto team is now fully up to speed with working on the new expansion. Today we’ll focus on some new aspects related to Heirs, Regencies and Estates.

First of all, one change for heirs and their legitimacy is that it will start a fair bit lower on average, and slowly increase over time as the heir grows older. Having high prestige increases it faster. Please note that corruption in your court increases it, as there is nothing screaming legitimate future King as much as a few sacks of gold in your pocket.

Secondly, with this new expansion, we have removed the regency councils, and instead replaced them by Estate Regencies.

Instead, a Regent will be generated from your most powerful estate. This will further increase the power of that estate, which might also give you a specific benefit or not.

eu4_18.png

Please note however that this does not replace consort regencies - consorts will still take priority over an estate-led regency

Thirdly, we are adding the option for extending a regency. Extending a regency reduces legitimacy by 10, and extends the current regency with another 5 years. Of course, the claim of the heir continues to increase. While a regency has some drawbacks, this can be very beneficial, if your heir is an imbecile, and your regency council is not entire incompetent.

Lest we forget, we have also changed so that you are no longer constantly losing legitimacy the longer you have a regency, but instead its an increase in stability cost.

We are also adding a fair bit more interesting events that occur when you are in a regency, all to add more interesting flavor to the experience, not to mention interesting situations.

As you may have noticed, this is one of the shorter development diaries, even if it gives you some new features, but next week, we’ll return to an interesting look at some more american nations and their content.

• 157Like
  • 24Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Any chance that you will introduce an option for the regent to be a ruler of another nation, creating a temporary union? I can think of using such a mechanism to more properly reflect the division of Austria.

Not planned.. with how the codestructure works regarding monarchs, heirs and unions, I'd go "could try, but thats would add a few weeks of crazy bugs to fix, and probably some we never discover internally, but some of the community will see day 1 and will crucify us for".

So no, I don't think its something we'd add at this point.

• 25Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Did I understand this correctly? Corruption has now gained an upside? Finally, I knew corruption was the way to go!

The original idea was that corruption should not only be bad, it should be a bit of a trade off.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Also, are these events universal or some of them are designed for specific nations (like Hungary with Hunyadi or Russia with Boris Godunov)?

there already exists an event for Hunyadi becoming ruler of Hungary.

Some of the Hungarian events I kind of know by heart, even if its a long time since release.. When we made the original events, I made the ones for Venice, Mamelukes and Hungary.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
there already exists an event for Hunyadi becoming ruler of Hungary.

Some of the Hungarian events I kind of know by heart, even if its a long time since release.. When we made the original events, I made the ones for Venice, Mamelukes and Hungary.

But Godunov is left behind, although he is mentioned is one of Russian events.

Reactions:
Please implement a basic dynastic element. I appreciate it's not CK2/3. But the entire period was filled with dynastic conflicts based on which children were married to whom.

That would be cool, but its entirely outside the scope of EU4.

• 1Like
Reactions:
On a somewhat unrelated note: why aren't dev diaries sticky?

Its because I've noticed that making something sticky means people ignore it.

• 31Haha
  • 7Like
Reactions:
While I guess its okay to have some actually meaningful changes to important game mechanics, I really hope that next diaries - as mentioned in todays diary - will again focus on adding more nations with mission trees in remote areas.

And while North America natives seem like a good idea, I am also looking forward to some changes to North Sentinel Island natives - along with unique ideas, events and mission trees.

What about governments with factions?

I think the only monarchy with factions in vanilla is Celestial Empire if you don't own Mandate of Heaven, but this is relevant for mods as well.

One day I hope we have enough time to kill the faction system with fire and salt its remains forever.

That day is not today :(

• 27Haha
  • 12Like
Reactions:
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Is it possible for a regent to have a different culture and/or religion than the primary one? For example, if a regent becomes from the dhimmi, could they possibly be a Greek Orthodox instead of a Turkish Sunni?

they will most likely be primary culture, and state religion, as the estates themselves do not know anything else.

EDIT: talked to the programmer, we'll add that it will pick religion/culture from a random province you have with the christian religion group for the dhimmi

Last edited:
  • 27Love
  • 15Like
Reactions:
One day I hope we have enough time to kill the faction system with fire and salt its remains forever.

That day is not today :(

I welcome that day.
What’s your reason not to translate the factions in the new estate system? Was the new faction system too experimental at the time or were it time constraints, maybe something else entirely?

• 4Like
Reactions:
yes, all estates are considered.
Have you considered creating a privilege that would give an estate a preference for regency?
I was thinking of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, where the Interrex ruling between the death of one monarch and the election of another was by law the Primate of Poland (Archbishop of Gniezno).

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 17Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
As you may have noticed, this is one of the shorter development diaries, even if it gives you some new features, but next week, we’ll return to an interesting look at some more american nations and their content.

I mean I prefer this kind of diary, what I care about is gameplay mechanics, mission trees are just boring.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I like to see the Regency getting attention.

however I think the stability systems well out of date, I think a stability equilibrium would make far more sense than solid up down, giving players time to counter act effects rather than being hit with instantaneous rebels which frankly is just annoying and unrealistic.

stability should have a similar mechanism to the estates.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Good morning,great DD.For the estates regencies feature,how it will work for modders who create custom estates.Do you have to define regencies through a template or can you script complete events for your own custom estates?
Thanks for any replies about this.

1.Nice changes but I think it'd be better if estate regencies'd be more tied with adm/dip/mil so if you have nobility regency their stats should be higher in mil category i.e. 3/0/5
nobility regency.png
2.Idk if it was discussed (haven't found anything in forums) but if you are a war leader and your ally has more war participation % for half year/year or longer then why is the player still allowed to dictate peace terms if he only i.e. has 5% war participation score? Would it be game wise to change it this way or'd it be exploited?
war participation score.png