• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 17th of April 2018

Good day and welcome. By the time you are reading this message, I will be long gone. This message should go live at 10am on Tuesday 17th April but I am writing this some days before. Having already snapped at several months of sustained subzero temperatures in this heathen place, I am taking to the skies and will be enjoying the blazing sun in Florida for a three week vacation. Know that if you do find me making posts here, it is as I am laying by a pool sipping a drink not out of thirst, but out of needing to actually cool down for the first time in half a year. In my stead, @Groogy will be more than happy to elaborate on the mechanical/design changes and @Trin Tragula will be on dev diary duty to talk about what he does best.

But the grim reality of Scandinavian life aside, let's look at our final in a three-parter dev diary on the Government Changes coming along. We've already elaborated how they work as well as Monarchy reforms in Part One, then checked out Republics in Part Two. Today we wrap up by checking out the remaining government types: Theocracies and Tribes.

Theocratic Reforms:

• Leadership
    • Clergy: 5% Tax Modifier
    • Monastic Order: -20% Fort Maintenance
    • (Papal States only) Pope: +1 Prestige, +1 Tolerance of True Faith
  • Internal vs External Mission
    • Internal Mission: +2 tolerance of true faith
    • External Mission: -20% Warscore against other religions
  • Divine Cause
    • Safeguard Holy Sites: +1 Prestige
    • Combat Heresy: 10% Morale
    • Expel heathens: 5% Development cost
  • Clergy in Administration
    • Subservient Administrators: +1 Free [HIDDENS] (almost missed this one)
    • Religious Administrators: -10% Stability cost
  • Secularise?
    • Maintain Religious Head of State: +10% Absolutism
    • (Muslim) Hereditary Religious Leadership: gain Feudal Theocracy abilities
    • Crown [Root.Monarch.GetName]: Turn into a monarchy, lose 2 reforms
    • Proclaim Republic, lose 2 reforms
Theocracies will be able to shape what sort of religious government hey wish to be and, instead of simply having the decision to secularize, can decide if they want to become a republic or Monarchy at the end of their reforms (keeping some of their reform progress that can be immediately used to pass Monarchy/Republic reforms) or double down on keeping a religious government. For owners of Cradle of Civilization, regular Sunni Theocracies will be able to adopt Feudal Theocracy mechanics as their final reform if preferred. For the likes of Ardabil, they will have a special starting reform which has these mechanics pre-unlocked.

Looking over to our friends the Tribal nations. We wanted to make the path from Tribal to settled nation more exciting than being an ADM sink and rail-roading of National Ideas. They are offered several choices of where to direct their nations.

Tribal Reforms:
  • Tribal Administration
    • Nomadic - Enables Steppe Nomad mechanics, all old nomad bonuses. only available for 1444 nomadic nations.
    • Federation - Enables Federation mechanics. - 5 years of separatism. Only available for the previously defined Tribal Federations.
    • Despotism: -10% Core Creation cost
    • Kingdom: +20% Vassal Income
  • Cultural Values
    • Martial Society: +15% Manpower
    • Civil Society: +5% Tax
  • Religion v secular
    • Religious Societies: -10% Stability cost
    • Lip-Service: -20% Land Maintenance Modifier
  • Modernization
    • Centralize Powers: +3 States, +10 Max Absolutism
    • Retain Tribal Hierarchy: -5% Core Creation Cost -5% Stability cost
  • REFORM:
    • Become Monarchy - Lose 4 Reforms, become Monarchy
    • Become Republic - Lose 4 reforms, become Republic
    • Become Theocracy - Lose 4 reforms, become Theocracy
    • Become Horde - Become Steppe Nomad. Use Nomadic mechanics.
All values seen are subject to balance changes and tweaking at this early stage of development and are expected to change. Despotism vs Kingdom, I'm looking at you.

With Tribes you are now given more control over how (and if you even wish to) reform your nation, complete with the ability to embrace horde life as a nation not blessed with Steppe Nomad mechanics in 1444, so once you have dominated West Africa as Dahomy and don't want any of those fancy styles of government that the arriving Europeans offer, you can go full horde and ride north razing everything into dust.

You will be able to see how close you are to your next reform straight from the main GUI, as we have re-positioned the Great Powers button to allow a button that opens your reforms. This button also fills up with green as you get closer to your next reform so you won't need to keep consulting the tab to check your progress.

Aq Qoyunlu Reforms.jpg

As is often the case, changes to a base system like this is going to be subject to iteration as we continue our work on 1.26 and its accompanying yet unannounced expansion, so do not be surprised when other changes to it are announced along the way. For now though, we will shift our attention in these dev diaries. Starting next week we will have some dev diaries on the map changes upcoming in 1.26. As always, map changes and new nations added are free additions to the game and are part of the upcoming Update. This will also reveal where we will be focusing on in this expansion. In the interest of teasing it though, I'll post some screenshots along the way.

River 1.jpg

We'll see you then!

Attachments

• government reforms for AKK.jpg
    government reforms for AKK.jpg
    124,2 KB · Views: 20.891
Will a government be able to have multiple unique reforms? I imagine things that introduce mechanics to the government likely won't overlap, and I'm not sure about how many unique reforms are not locked to the tier those mechanics are locked in, but I'm curious as to how wacky a government can be made.

Seems like with Theocracies and Tribals, at least if you stay Theocracy/Nomad you are actually done with the whole governmentreforms in midgame. That seems... kind of lackig, compared to monarchies and republics with much more steps involved.

I am not fully operational in the morning so I could be missing something, however even before my first coffee I can notice there must be some twisted logic behind expulsion of heathen reducing development cost(it misses "-" however I doubt it means it increases development cost since why would anyone opt for that.)

Expulsion of heathens means that you get rid of potential workforce, what's more you get rid of the workforce you could treat harsher and extort more income from. Since development is pretty much the potential province has for providing means for the government, expulsion of heathen is the opposite of developing. Even if this opens space for new settlers of proper faith, these settlers have to be brought and accomodated, what's actually increases the hassle. This reform should increase missionary strength instead.

I hope they’ll tackle multiple regions like they did with 1.23!

Excited!

The fact that there are 4 provinces visible with this river, and the photo is extremely zoomed in, this certainly seems more like HRE

Just remember that these could be NEW provinces, meaning the borders are reworked and could have many provinces, in areas that are usually more spread out province wise.

Can someone check terrain map mode in Mazovia? I think thats Wizna, Plock and Warszawa and Leczyca on the screenshot

Edit.
I think that Poland is the focus indeed. We didn't get any info about Elective Monarchy in dev diaries so I think they're being reworked

Last edited:
I hope the next Expansion will focus on the hre and on the internal affairs of countries. At tue Moment peace time is pretry boring.

Also in tue current Version you see that princes disappear one aftar an öfter. Thats pretry ahistoric. I hope they come up with something that keep the hre princes Alive. But in wenn they do pdx must also change the Reform process.

So steppe nomads is only avilable for 1444 hordes. But other nomads can reform to steppe horde and get the mechanics?
And what happens if a horde tag switches like forming manchu or golden horde.

Seems like with Theocracies and Tribals, at least if you stay Theocracy/Nomad you are actually done with the whole governmentreforms in midgame. That seems... kind of lackig, compared to monarchies and republics with much more steps involved.
I suppose that's intended? Theocracies are supposed to securalize and nomads to settle down

As is often the case, changes to a base system like this is going to be subject to iteration as we continue our work on 1.26 and its accompanying yet unannounced expansion, so do not be surprised when other changes to it are announced along the way. For now though, we will shift our attention in these dev diaries. Starting next week we will have some dev diaries on the map changes upcoming in 1.26. As always, map changes and new nations added are free additions to the game and are part of the upcoming Update. This will also reveal where we will be focusing on in this expansion. In the interest of teasing it though, I'll post some screenshots along the way.

View attachment 357287

We'll see you then!

Shadows normally point northwest, so the camera was probably rotated for this picture. I'm not familiar with the shape of the shadows, but could those be new models. :confused:

Edit: Oh, it's a tree. :oops:

Last edited:
Shouldn't you be required to at least own some steppe or steppe like land to form a horde? I think it is a cool idea that tribes can form hordes but let's say you're playing as a jungle tribe in Congo and suddenly out of nowhere you are horse nomads? Doesn't really make sense. But for circassians or an ambitious sibirian clan council or migratory american tribes I'm all for it.

Speaking of primitives, what'll happen to them?

EDIT:
And are you able to go full monastic order as say Augsburg or Münster, while the Teutons and knights might opt for staying regular bishoprics. IMO the starting reform should be pre-determined in several of the different government forms,

Last edited: