• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of April 2019

Good day and welcome to this week's Development Diary for EU4. Last week, programming maestro and wine connoisseur @MatRopert gave some insight into the technical debt that we have been and continue to be working on for EU4. Today, I'm going to continue probing at some quality of life suggestions.

Quality of Life will be a large focus of our expansion and update this year. In a couple of previous dev diaries, I talked about some of the QoL suggestions from the forums here. Today, I want to share some that have come up internally. Many people here at PDX HQ play EU4 regularly, and as you've surely seen, many compete in our in-house dev clash. As such, when it was heard that the EU4 team were going to be tackling QoL issues in a big way, many came forward with their own suggestions.

As has been said before, issues being listed here is not a guarantee that that they will be in the upcoming release.

"Take-as-much-money-as-possible-without-exceeding-warscore"

It fills my heart with glee that one of the first things we got internally was a demand to make taking all of someone's money easier. I think we've all been there when you've defeated your opponent, draw up the land you wish to take, then ask for a generous amount of their money, but the money you ask is too much, so begins the dainty process of clicking the - button on money. It doesn't help that the tooltip covers the acceptance chance.

We could well add a button for "as much as possible" where it takes money up to the point where it will still be accepted, or add a ctrl-click function for this. Either way, the frustration here is clear to see and remove, and since it's about taking money, it speaks dearly to me.

"Fully annex country option in peacedeals"

Another peace deal suggestion internally, and I'm sure it's been mentioned on the forums as well. Back in the day, the full annex option was the only way to annex a nation. Since then, the rules for taking land in a peace deal have been eased up, but it means that if you wish to annex a 20 province nation in the late game, that's a lot of clicking. Restoring the ability to 1-click select all provinces would be a welcome break to many mice.

"Core all button"

Speaks for itself. Much as the action of slamming that coring button for every province is empowering, a core-all button in the stability tab would be a welcome addition.

"Fix the Truce Timers not following their tooltips. Truces frequently end months before advertised, or claim they are over when you still get a stab hit for DOWing"

This strays into the realm of a bug, but none the less it lowers the quality of one's life. There's likely a bit of elbow grease needed in making the truces more robust so that you can have confidence in the tooltipped date for when they end, but it's high on the priority list to look into.

"Make age visible on Generals/Admirals"

EUIV is a game about nations rather than individuals, leading to the focus being on instruments of state over fleshing out people. To that end, generals themselves are purposely void in humanizing properties. With that said, it is very easy to forget which general and admiral was hired when, as their potential imminent death is definitely of importance to the player. Some general indicate of age, length of service or even death likelihood as advisors have is a reasonable addition.

"Click on core of a country in a province -> highlight all their cores"

Figuring out which nation to subjugate and which lands to take can often come down to who still stakes a firm core on them, including annexed nations. The highlighting feature on provinces was introduced alongside Rule Britannia, and this is a prime candidate for where we can add such a thing.

These QoL features (and many more) stand alongside those that we have been receiving from the forums, and remain a strong focus of this year's expansion and accompanying update. once our lengthy period of tech debt work is done and dusted, we look forward to sharing with you what we develop, as it comes. I know many are disappointed that we aren't showing off new features, map work and the like for the upcoming expansion and update, but the tech debt that we take care of today, paves the way for said development.

I would love to see a notification about available Papal Actions, like that one that Protestants have.

That's fair! Surely you have more of these based off the many well formatted ideas that have been transmitted in the suggestion forum but it's certainly showcasing a good start.

I'm eagerly waiting for an upcoming dev diary with some comments on game design and game balance, with corruption, TCs, conversion, endgame tags, etc. ;)
That discussion needs to happen.

how about we're able to control our vassals/PU's more?

im thinking mostly our PU's, shouldnt we be able to influence their troops/Ideas/development/Tech/HowBigArmy etcetc

That would make my "how on earth isn't that in the game, yet?" list much shorter :D

I'd also like to see more things QoL changes regarding colonies, especially ones that make the map pretty for example:

- colonies should be limited to expansion in their region (perhaps add events and liberty desire for them wanting to expand further as was the case with the Thirteen Colonies wanting to expand west)
- colonies don't switch colour when you form a different tag (not sure if a bug, but my Holland colonies didn't become orange upon forming the Netherlands)
- Western Amazon and that basin in California (forgot name) wastelands don't get coloured when colonies follow the borders of the regions
- Subjects' colonies don't integrate into your colonies (I know people like the extra merchants, but I prefer prettier borders)
- colonies also no longer convert religion and culture for some reason
- colonies should always have the primary culture and religion of the overlord (noticed that when I expelled Catholic Francien to Louisiana, the CN had that culture and religion, possibly because of where the capital spawned)

Please add "Detach special units" Button working similar like "Detarch mercenaries". Sometimes its important to split your special units or take em out of the fighting stack beacuse they disapear like mercs and you dont want to tank extra resources to hire them back.

"Core all button"

Speaks for itself. Much as the action of slamming that coring button for every province is empowering, a core-all button in the stability tab would be a welcome addition.

It would be great if this included the option to only core everything that gives you overextension, otherwise you couldn't properly use it when you have stated provinces you want to core later. And while you are at it, could you also add an "convert all button", since converting is much more annoying than coring? It could maybe include the option to set a maximum of money you want to spend on converting so you don't bankrupt yourself.

Can we have an option to annex colonial nations? Or have an option of creating/not creating them in decisions?

Other thing is we need some more modifiers for coverment reform points like innovation/tech or something like that tied in to that. Otherwise it is impossible to get them when you blob a lot.

Good day and welcome to this week's Development Diary for EU4. Last week, programming maestro and wine connoisseur @MatRopert gave some insight into the technical debt that we have been and continue to be working on for EU4. Today, I'm going to continue probing at some quality of life suggestions.

Quality of Life will be a large focus of our expansion and update this year. In a couple of previous dev diaries, I talked about some of the QoL suggestions from the forums here. Today, I want to share some that have come up internally. Many people here at PDX HQ play EU4 regularly, and as you've surely seen, many compete in our in-house dev clash. As such, when it was heard that the EU4 team were going to be tackling QoL issues in a big way, many came forward with their own suggestions.

As has been said before, issues being listed here is not a guarantee that that they will be in the upcoming release.

"Take-as-much-money-as-possible-without-exceeding-warscore"

It fills my heart with glee that one of the first things we got internally was a demand to make taking all of someone's money easier. I think we've all been there when you've defeated your opponent, draw up the land you wish to take, then ask for a generous amount of their money, but the money you ask is too much, so begins the dainty process of clicking the - button on money. It doesn't help that the tooltip covers the acceptance chance.

We could well add a button for "as much as possible" where it takes money up to the point where it will still be accepted, or add a ctrl-click function for this. Either way, the frustration here is clear to see and remove, and since it's about taking money, it speaks dearly to me.

"Fully annex country option in peacedeals"

Another peace deal suggestion internally, and I'm sure it's been mentioned on the forums as well. Back in the day, the full annex option was the only way to annex a nation. Since then, the rules for taking land in a peace deal have been eased up, but it means that if you wish to annex a 20 province nation in the late game, that's a lot of clicking. Restoring the ability to 1-click select all provinces would be a welcome break to many mice.

"Core all button"

"Fix the Truce Timers not following their tooltips. Truces frequently end months before advertised, or claim they are over when you still get a stab hit for DOWing"

This strays into the realm of a bug, but none the less it lowers the quality of one's life. There's likely a bit of elbow grease needed in making the truces more robust so that you can have confidence in the tooltipped date for when they end, but it's high on the priority list to look into.

"Make age visible on Generals/Admirals"

EUIV is a game about nations rather than individuals, leading to the focus being on instruments of state over fleshing out people. To that end, generals themselves are purposely void in humanizing properties. With that said, it is very easy to forget which general and admiral was hired when, as their potential imminent death is definitely of importance to the player. Some general indicate of age, length of service or even death likelihood as advisors have is a reasonable addition.

"Click on core of a country in a province -> highlight all their cores"

Figuring out which nation to subjugate and which lands to take can often come down to who still stakes a firm core on them, including annexed nations. The highlighting feature on provinces was introduced alongside Rule Britannia, and this is a prime candidate for where we can add such a thing.

These QoL features (and many more) stand alongside those that we have been receiving from the forums, and remain a strong focus of this year's expansion and accompanying update. once our lengthy period of tech debt work is done and dusted, we look forward to sharing with you what we develop, as it comes. I know many are disappointed that we aren't showing off new features, map work and the like for the upcoming expansion and update, but the tech debt that we take care of today, paves the way for said development.

Could we please have some sort of AI weighted decision when it comes to colonization?
I have played this game hundreds of times and never once saw Castille in Central America or Portugal in Brazil.
Portugal seens to always go for the Caribbean and Castille always goes for Brazil.
If I play Portugal and rush Brazil before Castille, they will just colonize Africa instead. Castille colonized like 70% of the uncolonized land in eu4 and yet they seem to never EVER colonize any historical land in the game.
Brittain also seems to always hit Central and South America, but never North America.

Also, this shouldn't come off as a surprise since literally every player predicted this before 1.28, but Portugal always, ALWAYS, without Exception, gets to the two uncolonized Canary Islands before Castille, often leading to Castille going for Arguim or Cape Verde instead.

Its almost as if the AI is hard coded to colonize ahistorical lands.

This ruins my quality of life far more than anything else.

In addition to the "annex all" and "max money" as peace options, could you add "all claimed provinces", "all own cores" and an option to control-click on a province on a map to demand that entire state?

Furthermore, for estates it would be a major QoL to see the actual (non-capped) autonomy if you hover over the number with the mouse. It's kind of relevant to know whether revoking a province would put it at 25% or 49.5% autonomy, though currently there's no way to tell. It would also be useful when deciding whether to turn territories into states and if they should be full-cored thereafter.

Just showing chance of leaders’ death would be better than showing their age.

Not all decisions have received the Rule Britannia highlight feature yet. I know for a fact the Zoroastrian decisions do not use it, but there may be more. It's a minor thing, but please make sure it's consistent! It's very appreciated.

For other changes, perhaps the launcher could indicate if a mod modifies checksum? As it stands, minor things such as map color will modify checksum, so having some transparency on which of your mods is preventing you from getting achievements would be welcome.

Not really QoL, but are there any chances obscure religions receive some attention? Judaism or Zoroastrian understandably lack flavor and power, but I feel like this is a missed opportunity. At the least, Jewish nations should be able to form Israel. The code is there from the CK2 converter, it could be ported over!