• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey everyone! Today we’ll continue on the native americans that we talked about last week. Last week we covered the migratory mechanics and how they will change. Of course though several nations in North America won’t be migratory and the ones who are can settle down.

I covered a bit that government reforms will be how native americans reform between their different stages. In total there will be 5 categories, which might not sound like a lot but natives will gain at start reform progress quite slowly and the point is for them to reach the end quite quickly by building up. So let’s cover the different government reforms that will be available.

1600171031234.png

The first two categories of government reforms have some modifiers to them, however there are some unusual ones here. In the first tier under the Chiefdom reform you have the Tribal Development Growth modifier. This modifier increases how much of tribal development you gain each month, regardless if you are migratory or settled. We’ll get to how that’s used for settled tribes. The other interesting modifier is the Oral Tradition reform in the second tier which gives you more reform progress growth, a quite helpful one if you intend to go all the way down to the last reforms.

After those two levels of reforms you will be presented with the option to settle down (if you are migratory). This will enable you to take direct control of the tribal land to grow in and build up your tribe.

1600171502868.png

Once settled you get the option to modernize through a European sponsor. Just like before you will adopt the sponsor's government type and it will make you adopt the institutions that the Europeans have. However if you don’t want to do that you have another option. If you wait just another level of reform you can pick what you want yourself.

1600171801922.png

Now if you have somehow stayed migratory the entire way to the end here, you get a special choice to become nomads of the great plains, essentially adopting the lifestyle of the Commanche after European contact.

1600171862984.png

Here’s a list of all the reforms. Keep in mind things are not final and values given here might change!

Base Reform
  • 0.1 Monthly Reform Progress Growth
  • -25% Land Maintenance Modifier
  • -1 Diplomatic Upkeep
  • -50% Institution Spread
Tier 1
  • Chiefdom Reform: 0.05 Tribal Development Growth
  • Federation Reform: 20% Manpower Modifier
  • Clan Council Reform: -33% Stability Cost modifier
Tier 2
  • Martial Tradition Reform: 10% Infantry Combat Ability
  • Oral Tradition Reform: 10% Reform Progress Growth
Tier 3
  • War Band Reform: 15% Land Forcelimit
  • Settle Down Reform: Stops being migratory
Tier 4
  • Codified Power Reform: -2 National Unrest
  • Trading with Foreigners Reform: Will reform off a European
Tier 5
  • Become Monarchy
  • Become Republic
  • Become Theocracy
  • Become Horde

Next up I want to cover buildings. You can build these already as migratory and they’ll move with you as you migrate, but their main use will be by settled tribes that will have more buildings to build. Mainly it’s the old buildings redone and rebalanced a bit but you’ll see some interesting effects to some of these, letting you build up your reform progress gain and tribal development gain as well. Just as with reforms these values are very much work in progress.

Unique Buildings - 200 ducats
  • Fortified House: 10 Land Forcelimit
  • Cermonial Pit: -50% Advisor Cost & +0.2 Reform Progress
  • Sweat Lodge: 1 Diplomatic Reputation
Expensive Buildings - 200 Ducats
  • Palisade: 1 Fort Level
  • Irrigation: 0.05 Tribal Development Growth
Normal Buildings - 100 Ducats
  • Earthwork: 25% Defensiveness
  • Storehouse: 50% Production Efficiency
  • Longhouse: 0.1 Reform Progress Gain
  • Great Trail: 50% Manpower Modifier
  • Three Sisters Field: 50% Trade Goods modifier

Now you’ve seen how you become a settled tribe, so let’s talk about what you do once you’ve become one. As settled you no longer get tribal development from being migratory, i.e you no longer cause devastation and passively gain tribal development. You instead need to build irrigation in provinces held directly by you to grow your tribe. Though you don’t migrate anymore, this development still resides in your capital.

1600172454837.png

That is until you decide to settle it into one of the provinces that is considered your tribal land. This will make the land directly owned by you and up to 10 developments will be moved there. This action costs 50 diplomatic monarch points. You can also decide to settle some development into an already settled province if you so want to, same mechanics apply.

1600172708069.png

Once a province is settled the Europeans can’t just simply colonise it anymore as they could with tribal land and the only way for you to lose control of that now is through a war.

It’s through settling your tribal land, subjugating other tribes while warding off the Europeans that you will grow your nation. All the while dealing with this you invest your resources to develop these provinces so that you can eventually reform and create a nation in the image you want.

I hope you enjoyed the dev diary today. Next one we’ll be covering new federation mechanics & the setup of North America. Cya then!

Will native American armies be able to move through tribal lands in war?

What about European armies fighting them?

Tribal land does not prevent any kind of movement, it does not require mil access since it is a loose ownership of land

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is a good improvement, but frankly I've felt that colonization in the Americas has needed a major overhaul for a long while since it's incredibly ahistoric and not terribly fun for the colonizers or the natives of the Americas. Instead of colonists grabbing land turning it into defined chunks just like in Europe, I'd like to see some sort of more fluid system of European claims based around plantation type resource extraction settlements (sugar, tobacco, etc...) that only start to solidify into "settled" territory later in the game. This would replicate the dynamic where the European explorers would claim vast swathes of land for their monarch, but actual mass settlement into areas not part of the highly developed Aztec or Incan lands didn't really kick off until the 1600's/1700's... and even as late as the 1700s the main focus was around controlling the sugar producing islands in the Caribbean. It'd also prevent the prime mover factor, where the first to colonize the coastline cuts everyone off.

On the native side, contact with Europeans should trigger a disaster representing the Eurasian disease package that historically did a ton of damage to them. It should be easier for the natives to build themselves up pre-contact, but this disaster would be hard to survive and reduce development significantly, weakening the native states and giving the colonizers an opening to take over. It'd be nice if the Europeans could also interact with rebellions in the Aztec and Incan nations more dynamically to represent the historic dynamics of how Cortez and Pizzaro were largely supported by native rebellions and used them to take over the empires. As it is now, it's far too easy and quick for a player to "westernize" as a native state. Giving the natives a disaster to survive before they can start Westernizing could be a more fun mechanic for the player than just "accumulate mana and find a Euro neighbor to reform off of."

Slow down how fast colonizers turn the Americas into just another Europe, add some challenge to Native states advancing, and make the mechanics more historical and colonization could be a heck of a lot more fun and dynamic than it currently is for both the colonizing states and native american states.

• 45Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
oh okay - I was confused first - but it seems as there are some unique ways to play and decide there now and that is nice.

Are there some general region specific missions and events planed? I would really love to get some north american tribe events about the tribe life, migration, settlement and illness and confusion when the europeans discover and settle. An event about the first gunpowder and an eventchain about the horses and gunpowder would be nice as well. And the possibility to adopt them - as well as the christianity as it was in reality. This also would be a great flavor addition for the coloniser if he gets an eventmessage, that the tribe X decided to follow his faith (or a punishemnt or forced religion cb against the tribe if chosed not to change religion)
Events for the midgame and lategame could also be about the conflicts between settlers and tribes etc.

Reactions:
So, if nomadic tribes become hordes, does that mean that they get to use horde unity / get named as "Khanate" / trigger the "Unguarded Nomadic Frontier" disaster for the EOC? Or it's just a similar government?
Also, now that tier 4 has a reform that requires to neighbor europeans, and AI takes reforms immediately, how does the AI manage it? Are we going to only see AI horde tribes in NA if europeans colonize there too late?
Hoping to see the changes made to federations next week. Thanks for the content!

• 5Like
Reactions:
What happens to tribal land if you reform into a horde? Do you annex it like you do when you trade with foreigners or do you lose it? What happens to your tribal development as a horde?

Maybe jumping the gun, but do these changes affect the way that Mesoamerican and Andean countries reform?

Good stuff, @Groogy ! Excited to see the changes to federations!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any unique flavour for the NA steppe nomads?

• 6Like
Reactions:
I think the cost of the buildings are too high, 200 ducats is a mountain for a North american tribe

Most of the reform are useless for a NA tribe, I think a vast majority of players will choose the tribal growth to quickly resist to euopeans not stability cost or unrest

Do not take my remarks too negatively, I'm Very exited by this content, I want them to be fun to play

• 13Like
Reactions:
Very good job, I like how natives are being integrated in general mechanics of the game like government reform paths, not being arbitrarily blocked of embrace a institution and I like how they will remain a tribe for some time when interacting with europeans.
I like that this fixes mesoamerica and andes too, the AI can't reform his religion but now they can embrace institutions if they survive for enough time to the institution naturally spread in their borders, seeing a mesoamerican or andean tag survive late game and be the only place in the world with 0 institutions is very weird.

I am not a fan of instantly granting all neighbours instituion after a tier 4 reform but I suppose that it should give a good bonus.
When you become a horde with a native american tag is really necessary change your units to horde units? It will remain using native models right?

Maybe would be interesting if when you add tribal lands to your tribe, you first must defeat one (just one) revolt of the generic natives in the uncolonized provinces, I don't known if this would be hard to implement but maybe this would cause the player to think better in what provinces add to his tribal lands first (prefering provinces with less ferocity and less generic natives).

Reactions:
This is a good improvement, but frankly I've felt that colonization in the Americas has needed a major overhaul for a long while since it's incredibly ahistoric and not terribly fun for the colonizers or the natives of the Americas. Instead of colonists grabbing land turning it into defined chunks just like in Europe, I'd like to see some sort of more fluid system of European claims based around plantation type resource extraction settlements (sugar, tobacco, etc...) that only start to solidify into "settled" territory later in the game. This would replicate the dynamic where the European explorers would claim vast swathes of land for their monarch, but actual mass settlement into areas not part of the highly developed Aztec or Incan lands didn't really kick off until the 1600's/1700's... and even as late as the 1700s the main focus was around controlling the sugar producing islands in the Caribbean. It'd also prevent the prime mover factor, where the first to colonize the coastline cuts everyone off.

On the native side, contact with Europeans should trigger a disaster representing the Eurasian disease package that historically did a ton of damage to them. It should be easier for the natives to build themselves up pre-contact, but this disaster would be hard to survive and reduce development significantly, weakening the native states and giving the colonizers an opening to take over. It'd be nice if the Europeans could also interact with rebellions in the Aztec and Incan nations more dynamically to represent the historic dynamics of how Cortez and Pizzaro were largely supported by native rebellions and used them to take over the empires. As it is now, it's far too easy and quick for a player to "westernize" as a native state. Giving the natives a disaster to survive before they can start Westernizing could be a more fun mechanic for the player than just "accumulate mana and find a Euro neighbor to reform off of."

Slow down how fast colonizers turn the Americas into just another Europe, add some challenge to Native states advancing, and make the mechanics more historical and colonization could be a heck of a lot more fun and dynamic than it currently is for both the colonizing states and native american states.

Unfortunately you're not gonna get anything close to that in this strange SEA update that also includes North American natives. Paradox don't overhaul existing game mechanics in their updates following DLCs. The best you're gonna get is new missions, reforms or content tacked onto existing game mechanisms + a paid unit model pack. Better off waiting for EU5 for something like that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This looks good but I'm kinda confused. What will be of the Native advancements? They're gone for good, I imagine?

Yepp gone for good, since you get bonuses from reform progress instead which you can by investing money build up faster.

• 9Like
Reactions:
I don't like every country having a steppe nomad rule. Not every country should adopt the steppe nomads, as not every country can have a tribal federation. Some restrictions must come. I'm tired of seeing the nonsense countries transition from tribal to nomad rule. For example, Anatolian principalities do not have access to nomadic rule, states that have nothing to do with nomadism have access to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: