• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey everyone! Today we’ll continue on the native americans that we talked about last week. Last week we covered the migratory mechanics and how they will change. Of course though several nations in North America won’t be migratory and the ones who are can settle down.

I covered a bit that government reforms will be how native americans reform between their different stages. In total there will be 5 categories, which might not sound like a lot but natives will gain at start reform progress quite slowly and the point is for them to reach the end quite quickly by building up. So let’s cover the different government reforms that will be available.

1600171031234.png

The first two categories of government reforms have some modifiers to them, however there are some unusual ones here. In the first tier under the Chiefdom reform you have the Tribal Development Growth modifier. This modifier increases how much of tribal development you gain each month, regardless if you are migratory or settled. We’ll get to how that’s used for settled tribes. The other interesting modifier is the Oral Tradition reform in the second tier which gives you more reform progress growth, a quite helpful one if you intend to go all the way down to the last reforms.

After those two levels of reforms you will be presented with the option to settle down (if you are migratory). This will enable you to take direct control of the tribal land to grow in and build up your tribe.

1600171502868.png

Once settled you get the option to modernize through a European sponsor. Just like before you will adopt the sponsor's government type and it will make you adopt the institutions that the Europeans have. However if you don’t want to do that you have another option. If you wait just another level of reform you can pick what you want yourself.

1600171801922.png

Now if you have somehow stayed migratory the entire way to the end here, you get a special choice to become nomads of the great plains, essentially adopting the lifestyle of the Commanche after European contact.

1600171862984.png

Here’s a list of all the reforms. Keep in mind things are not final and values given here might change!

Base Reform
  • 0.1 Monthly Reform Progress Growth
  • -25% Land Maintenance Modifier
  • -1 Diplomatic Upkeep
  • -50% Institution Spread
Tier 1
  • Chiefdom Reform: 0.05 Tribal Development Growth
  • Federation Reform: 20% Manpower Modifier
  • Clan Council Reform: -33% Stability Cost modifier
Tier 2
  • Martial Tradition Reform: 10% Infantry Combat Ability
  • Oral Tradition Reform: 10% Reform Progress Growth
Tier 3
  • War Band Reform: 15% Land Forcelimit
  • Settle Down Reform: Stops being migratory
Tier 4
  • Codified Power Reform: -2 National Unrest
  • Trading with Foreigners Reform: Will reform off a European
Tier 5
  • Become Monarchy
  • Become Republic
  • Become Theocracy
  • Become Horde

Next up I want to cover buildings. You can build these already as migratory and they’ll move with you as you migrate, but their main use will be by settled tribes that will have more buildings to build. Mainly it’s the old buildings redone and rebalanced a bit but you’ll see some interesting effects to some of these, letting you build up your reform progress gain and tribal development gain as well. Just as with reforms these values are very much work in progress.

Unique Buildings - 200 ducats
  • Fortified House: 10 Land Forcelimit
  • Cermonial Pit: -50% Advisor Cost & +0.2 Reform Progress
  • Sweat Lodge: 1 Diplomatic Reputation
Expensive Buildings - 200 Ducats
  • Palisade: 1 Fort Level
  • Irrigation: 0.05 Tribal Development Growth
Normal Buildings - 100 Ducats
  • Earthwork: 25% Defensiveness
  • Storehouse: 50% Production Efficiency
  • Longhouse: 0.1 Reform Progress Gain
  • Great Trail: 50% Manpower Modifier
  • Three Sisters Field: 50% Trade Goods modifier

Now you’ve seen how you become a settled tribe, so let’s talk about what you do once you’ve become one. As settled you no longer get tribal development from being migratory, i.e you no longer cause devastation and passively gain tribal development. You instead need to build irrigation in provinces held directly by you to grow your tribe. Though you don’t migrate anymore, this development still resides in your capital.

1600172454837.png

That is until you decide to settle it into one of the provinces that is considered your tribal land. This will make the land directly owned by you and up to 10 developments will be moved there. This action costs 50 diplomatic monarch points. You can also decide to settle some development into an already settled province if you so want to, same mechanics apply.

1600172708069.png

Once a province is settled the Europeans can’t just simply colonise it anymore as they could with tribal land and the only way for you to lose control of that now is through a war.

It’s through settling your tribal land, subjugating other tribes while warding off the Europeans that you will grow your nation. All the while dealing with this you invest your resources to develop these provinces so that you can eventually reform and create a nation in the image you want.

I hope you enjoyed the dev diary today. Next one we’ll be covering new federation mechanics & the setup of North America. Cya then!

I'm still a bit confused on why you need tribal territory. What are the benefits of having a big tribal territory?

While migratory, you can migrate within it cheaply compared to if you go outside, you also get CB's to defend it if other tribes move into them causing devastation for you. When you finally do become settled you can only settle provinces that belong to your tribe.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Interesting further developments on last week's reveal of tribal land; one thing id like to pick groogy's brains over is whether retroactively would you be able to reverse the `settling down` reform and return to a nomadic lifestyle if it suited your present needs more optimally?

Ei - After a period of time, I rethink my strategic position because the Europeans aren't being particularly friendly towards me in order to sponsor my reform after settling and would rather take the land i am on; would i be able to shed & pack up my development and try to move away?

Seperately, will some adherence to the 'American Dream' bookmark & DLC be taken into account tribal land also, as per reservation agreements as a rough basis? Some interesting opportunities for flavor could be found amongst these, especially if destruction of the Native tribes is/isn't nessecary, or a quick thinking Native American Player can stomp & raze over the US with the impunity of a alt-history setting to extend its playability for a achievement or something.

Interesting further developments on last week's reveal of tribal land; one thing id like to pick groogy's brains over is whether retroactively would you be able to reverse the `settling down` reform and return to a nomadic lifestyle if it suited your present needs more optimally?

Seperately, will some adherence to the 'American Dream' bookmark & DLC be taken into account tribal land also, as per reservation agreements as a rough basis? Some interesting opportunities for flavor could be found amongst these, especially if destruction of the Native tribes is/isn't nessecary, or a quick thinking Native American Player can stomp & raze over the US with the impunity of a alt-history setting to extend its playability for a achievment or something.

I've been thinking about it, but I am worried about the issues it is causing. I.e it would need to depopulate provinces now settled, etc and you'd have some development invested into those provinces that can't simply "vanish". So not sure how to make it work.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Doesn't this just encourage more wars to conquer these "tribal claims?" How does this stop rushing into North America by 1600?

If you choose to reform to non-tribal off of the Tier 5 reform instead of off a European, do you have to adopt institutions manually? Or do you get free embracement through some other means for help catching up?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Will some tribes start with more reforms than others, or will they all start at the same base level? I never liked the way (for example) the Shoshone and Chinook start with the exact same level of government.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Will some tribes start with more reforms than others, or will they all start at the same base level? I never liked the way (for example) the Shoshone and Chinook start with the exact same level of government.

Settled tribes will start with settled government reform, so yes they will be further along the reform tree at start

• 8Like
Reactions:
If you are already revisiting North America, is there any chance the random new world will get fixed? The trade flow is not showing up making trade steering extremely difficult. It has been in the game for over two years I think. This would be a perfect time to make RNW playable again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What will happen to Mesoamerica and the Andes? Will they get the same reforms as the NA natives? Will they get a unique set of reforms or will they be left as they are in the current update?

What's the typical speed you are aiming for to complete these reforms in? Already completed by the time Europeans arrive (like the South/Mesoamericans) or something you're still working on while Europeans have already arrived?

The latter would be more interesting for many reasons. One of which is that (if what you told me before is still the plan) migratory tribes will be much less likely to be full-annexed, which means they'll stick around a lot longer. (To be honest I was hoping for the ability to stay long-term migratory, rather than become a horde)

Also, is there any way to gain tribal land while settled, or is expansion as a settled tribe basically impossible? (You need to migrate into an uncolonised province to claim it, right?)

What's the typical speed you are aiming for to complete these reforms in? Already completed by the time Europeans arrive (like the South/Mesoamericans) or something you're still working on while Europeans have already arrived?

The latter would be more interesting for many reasons. One of which is that (if what you told me before is still the plan) migratory tribes will be much less likely to be full-annexed, which means they'll stick around a lot longer. (To be honest I was hoping for the ability to stay long-term migratory, rather than become a horde)

Also, is there any way to gain tribal land while settled, or is expansion as a settled tribe basically impossible? (You need to migrate into an uncolonised province to claim it, right?)

Speed should be that you would deal with this while Europeans are arriving, you can stay migratory and then just settle right before you convert into monarchy/republic/theocracy, since reforms aren't locked. And yes right now you can only expand tribal land while migratory. You can take tribal land off other tribes to expand. I am not sure if it will stay like this but for now that's how it works.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Very glad to see natives being revamped, particularly through sprucing up an old DLC rather than adding new buttons on top, but the westernisation option seems a bit lacklustre. You just press a button & are instantly reformed? I think it would be much more interesting as something like:

+1 monthly govt reform progress
+100% institution spread
Enables the old, nasty westernisation events, but with govt reform progress as the metric in place of westernisation progress
Locks you into the same final tier reform as the trading partner (e.g. if you're reforming off a monarchy, you must become a monarchy)

That way choosing to westernise gives you a big boost forwards, but doesn't fully skip you to the end and comes with drawbacks. Abandoning all of your previous traditions would (& should) be a traumatic process. The reform could also then be earlier in the tree as it just makes you progress quicker rather than instantly reforming.

Also, unrelated: have you considered adding a raiding mechanic for tribes & steppe hordes, similar to vikings in CK2? That would also give them more to do, plus let the hordes be more of a thorn in China's side.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If we settle some development in a tribal province, is this added to the base development of the province or does it replace that?
Added to

Reactions: