• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of March 2018

Good day all. We're a mere week away from 1.25 England Update going live and the Rule Britannia Immersion Pack setting sail with it. There's not much left to cover in our dev diaries, so today we will simply be covering the 10 Achievements which will be available in 1.25.

achievement_home_and_away.jpg
Home and Away
: As Wales hold Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Rome, Paris and London.

achievement_sun_invasion.jpg
Sun Invasion
: Own and have cores on Tepeacac, Mexico, Tullucan and Huastec as the Madyas.

achievement_sleepless_in_seattle.jpg
Sleepless in Seattle
: Have your capital in 2485 (Chehalis) and own 10 Coffee producing provinces.

achievement_philippine_tiger.jpg
Philippine Tiger
: Recreate the Chola Empire as Cebu.

achievement_empire_of_mann.jpg
Empire of Mann
: As Mann, conquer all Islands in the world.

achievement_dude_where_s_my_boat.jpg
Dude, Where’s my boat?
- Capture 20 boats with the Boarding Naval Doctrine

achievement_bright_spark.jpg
Bright Spark
: Have 50 Innovativeness

achievement_anglophile.jpg
Anglophile
: Complete all English and British Missions

achievement_industrial_powerhouse.jpg
Industrial Powerhouse
: Have 10 Furnaces built in your nation.

achievement_chop_chop.jpg
Chop Chop
- Have 6 different consorts with one monarch.

Next week we will likely be releasing our Dev Diary a day early, to share our full Patchnotes ahead of the March 20th Release. See you then!

Hmm, this is a fairly sparse Dev Diary from me, jarringly so. Let me bulk it out at the end for my own sanity by plugging that since it's Tuesday, we will be streaming Session 2 of the Rule Britannia Dev Clash. Decide who to root for by looking here:

Last edited:
Yeah, owning provinces on continents should be banned in Manx achievement.

You'd end up playing much the same game, I think, but just getting rid of the mainland provinces at the end. Which sort of then ruins the campaign. For example, I did the Abu Bakr's Ambition achievement recently, but my Colombia Colonial Nation based in Panama had his capital technically in North America, so I had to 'lose' a war and give up multiple of his provinces, which definitely made sure I wasn't going to continue the run after getting the achievement...

No matter the achievement, you always play the same game. It is called Europa Universalis 4. Such conditions will, at least, give people a more original idea of how to play that campaign, while making more experienced player at least 1 more condition that requires more player actions than their regular world conquest. Not to say WC's are easy or do not require much actions, but diversity is the spice of life, or so they say :D

I feel this is missing a highlander themed achievement. Something like "by 1536, own new york, convert it to highlander culture, and have a Frankien ruler on the throne."

No matter the achievement, you always play the same game. It is called Europa Universalis 4. Such conditions will, at least, give people a more original idea of how to play that campaign, while making more experienced player at least 1 more condition that requires more player actions than their regular world conquest. Not to say WC's are easy or do not require much actions, but diversity is the spice of life, or so they say :D

The achievement is already doing what you want it to do, which is to suggest an original idea for a campaign. Which is why I think it's a good one. It's just that adding your extra requirement doesn't really change anything about that. Which is, obviously, what I meant by saying it won't change your game much. Use the word campaign, or run, instead, fine.

All I was saying is, to consider the potential of the suggested extra requirement to diminish your campaign by requiring you to eventually find gamey ways of satisfying the achievement. In fact, it might be a consideration the devs made to not include it. Just something to consider, no need to deliberately misunderstand me.

Empire of Mann: As Mann, conquer all Islands in the world.

Some Chinese players may describe this achievement as "Moe-izng the whole world."

In China (Especially in Hong Kong), Mann is known as “萌” (Pronunciation: Méng). This character can also mean Moe. (Actually the same character or "kanji" as Japanese "萌え")

I don't think anyone would enjoy losing an Empire of Mann run because they randomly inherit the throne of an OPM in mainland Europe.

It can always be sold off to someone else. Also can be circumvented by not diplomarrying anyone :)
In my opinion, it is such unobvious decisions, as trying to prevent inheriting random countries, that give a particular achievement its flavour.

An achievement added in order to make one useless naval doctrine see one use in one game per player. I'd rather see the doctrine removed, but now it will stay forever for the sake of this achievement.
Florry on his stream said about one nation in Asia that it is op, as they have 30% extra chance for capturing a ship. So it goes quite opposite to your claim that says: 'useless doctrine'. Well, let say I believe in Florry!

Florry on his stream said about one nation in Asia that it is op, as they have 30% extra chance for capturing a ship. So it goes quite opposite to your claim that says: 'useless doctrine'. Well, let say I believe in Florry!
This doesn't quite help if your fleet gets crushed though.

@DDRJake I heard owners of Purple Phoenix and Rule Britannia will get more missions for Byzantium and Britain region respectively.
But i don't heard nothing about expanded mission tree for owners of Third Rome. So what about it?

I hope I am not asking a repeating questions. But i noticed in the dev clash Hungary was able to declare war at the start of the game instead of having to wait the usual 10-15 years due to regency with hunyadi regent. Has this changed in the 1.25 update?

I hope I am not asking a repeating questions. But i noticed in the dev clash Hungary was able to declare war at the start of the game instead of having to wait the usual 10-15 years due to regency with hunyadi regent. Has this changed in the 1.25 update?
Yes, Hunyadi starts as a ruler now... though I wish his title remained as “Regent”

Yes, Hunyadi is now a King proper instead of a regent, so Hungary can declare wars. @DDRJake confirmed this during the first(?) episode. Although from the Dev stream it does appear that Ladislaus von Habsburg is still the heir (so I suppose the event will still fire in early 1455 when Ladislaus comes of age).