• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of March 2018

Good day all. We're a mere week away from 1.25 England Update going live and the Rule Britannia Immersion Pack setting sail with it. There's not much left to cover in our dev diaries, so today we will simply be covering the 10 Achievements which will be available in 1.25.

achievement_home_and_away.jpg
Home and Away
: As Wales hold Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Rome, Paris and London.

achievement_sun_invasion.jpg
Sun Invasion
: Own and have cores on Tepeacac, Mexico, Tullucan and Huastec as the Madyas.

achievement_sleepless_in_seattle.jpg
Sleepless in Seattle
: Have your capital in 2485 (Chehalis) and own 10 Coffee producing provinces.

achievement_philippine_tiger.jpg
Philippine Tiger
: Recreate the Chola Empire as Cebu.

achievement_empire_of_mann.jpg
Empire of Mann
: As Mann, conquer all Islands in the world.

achievement_dude_where_s_my_boat.jpg
Dude, Where’s my boat?
- Capture 20 boats with the Boarding Naval Doctrine

achievement_bright_spark.jpg
Bright Spark
: Have 50 Innovativeness

achievement_anglophile.jpg
Anglophile
: Complete all English and British Missions

achievement_industrial_powerhouse.jpg
Industrial Powerhouse
: Have 10 Furnaces built in your nation.

achievement_chop_chop.jpg
Chop Chop
- Have 6 different consorts with one monarch.

Next week we will likely be releasing our Dev Diary a day early, to share our full Patchnotes ahead of the March 20th Release. See you then!

Hmm, this is a fairly sparse Dev Diary from me, jarringly so. Let me bulk it out at the end for my own sanity by plugging that since it's Tuesday, we will be streaming Session 2 of the Rule Britannia Dev Clash. Decide who to root for by looking here:

Last edited:
well i'll probably pass the dlc(despite i won't host games anymore), coal is kinda joke not real content for eu4, innovativness seems fine, but the only content england got is naval doctrine bonus button (but they also got +1 manuver more in ideas, and they were unbalanced unkillable on the sea multiplayer even before this DLC so it shouldn't be the way to flavor england), and well anglicanism, this one is fine. But new english ideas are mixed and weird. Third rome was criticized as "making your russia op for bucks", u prevented this with amazing mission mechanic u are going to add(and because it's free i hope it will be expanded hard in next dlcs), sadly with this one england didn't get much to highlight it's empire ambitions. And i am confused because missions system alone would be enough to convince me to buy this dlc, but paid content ? Nah.

An achievement added in order to make one useless naval doctrine see one use in one game per player. I'd rather see the doctrine removed, but now it will stay forever for the sake of this achievement.

I'm a bit disappointed. Achievements seem like such an easy way to immensely increase replayability value, but we get so little of them, about half of which require the DLC... and some of those seem like stuff you would just get without trying if you're playing a full campaign as a competent player.

That being said: the Empire of Mann achievement is exactly the kind of achievement I like to see: worthy of a whole unique campaign and sufficiently challenging without being just another 'world conquest' stand-in.

Yes, that was my exact feeling. Except that Empire of Mann is just another of those "blob as an OPM" achievement. But it's better than nothing.

Yes, that was my exact feeling. Except that Empire of Mann is just another of those "blob as an OPM" achievement. But it's better than nothing.

That's true, but I don't necessarily mind those, although I do think we have enough of these that are basically: 'as a small nation next to the Ottomans, survive'. I quite like playing OPM's for the initial challenge, and although I would like to see some achievements to motivate me into revisiting the bigger nations that you start out playing when you first pick up the game, at least Multiplayer gives me some reason to play those nations anyway.

I highly prefer OPMs achievement who only require to paint a portion of the map, like Manipur or Dahomey. Conquering half the world is repetitive and removes the flavour of the region. But yes, at least this one is not near Ottomans.

For the Mann achievement, what counts as an island?

Jake just answered:
"Island" here is defined as a land province without a land connection to Stockholm, Panama or Guugu. There are also highlights on provinces you need for achievements in 1.25

View attachment 345777

Mildly disappointed you didn't throw this achievement in there:

Kilt Them All
As Scotland conquer all metal producing provinces. And put in a picture of a head banging Scotsman. :D

Empire of Mann achievement would also be WAY more fun, if owning (or making a subject own) ONLY island provinces was one of the conditions. Otherwise, this is but a slightly reskined TTM

You'd end up playing much the same game, I think, but just getting rid of the mainland provinces at the end. Which sort of then ruins the campaign. For example, I did the Abu Bakr's Ambition achievement recently, but my Colombia Colonial Nation based in Panama had his capital technically in North America, so I had to 'lose' a war and give up multiple of his provinces, which definitely made sure I wasn't going to continue the run after getting the achievement...