• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of March 2018

Good day all. We're a mere week away from 1.25 England Update going live and the Rule Britannia Immersion Pack setting sail with it. There's not much left to cover in our dev diaries, so today we will simply be covering the 10 Achievements which will be available in 1.25.

achievement_home_and_away.jpg
Home and Away
: As Wales hold Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Rome, Paris and London.

achievement_sun_invasion.jpg
Sun Invasion
: Own and have cores on Tepeacac, Mexico, Tullucan and Huastec as the Madyas.

achievement_sleepless_in_seattle.jpg
Sleepless in Seattle
: Have your capital in 2485 (Chehalis) and own 10 Coffee producing provinces.

achievement_philippine_tiger.jpg
Philippine Tiger
: Recreate the Chola Empire as Cebu.

achievement_empire_of_mann.jpg
Empire of Mann
: As Mann, conquer all Islands in the world.

achievement_dude_where_s_my_boat.jpg
Dude, Where’s my boat?
- Capture 20 boats with the Boarding Naval Doctrine

achievement_bright_spark.jpg
Bright Spark
: Have 50 Innovativeness

achievement_anglophile.jpg
Anglophile
: Complete all English and British Missions

achievement_industrial_powerhouse.jpg
Industrial Powerhouse
: Have 10 Furnaces built in your nation.

achievement_chop_chop.jpg
Chop Chop
- Have 6 different consorts with one monarch.

Next week we will likely be releasing our Dev Diary a day early, to share our full Patchnotes ahead of the March 20th Release. See you then!

Hmm, this is a fairly sparse Dev Diary from me, jarringly so. Let me bulk it out at the end for my own sanity by plugging that since it's Tuesday, we will be streaming Session 2 of the Rule Britannia Dev Clash. Decide who to root for by looking here:

Last edited:
I would be more concerned by what we have seen of the standard mission trees in the dev clash. Many things seem to have disappeared, most notably the temporary missions for +1 diprep. Those were immensely valuable to get alliances as minors, you could force them to spawn by completing a mission when you're overextended to get "Reduce overextension", and there seems to be no similar way of consistently getting extra dip rep.
Do you confirm @DDRJake ?

Many things seem to have disappeared, most notably the temporary missions for +1 diprep. Those were immensely valuable to get alliances as minors, you could force them to spawn by completing a mission when you're overextended to get "Reduce overextension", and there seems to be no similar way of consistently getting extra dip rep.

The generic repeating missions were done away with in favour of standard missions with much meatier, longer lasting rewards.

Chop Chop? Brutal!

Never change PDX, never change.

The generic repeating missions were done away with in favour of standard missions with much meatier, longer lasting rewards.

I have seen one or two of the "meatier, longer lasting rewards" and they were not that impressive compared to before.

I meant 25 years of -10% discount on maintenance and -15% recruitment time while you are at forcelimit? I saw the bonus in one of the stream and I sincerely hope this doesn't go live as it is.

Some certain tag can't even wing that at the beginning and need to delay taking it at least until they have a solid income going. If anything I might actually on purpose delay taking it, if playing an Europe tag, until religious league to take full benefit of the recruit time even at the expensive of other mission down the tree.

Forgetting the fact that, 100 regiment with -10% less maintenance yield more impressive return on ducat as opposite to 6 regiment with -10% less maintenance especially if you are going over the forcelimit in the former case.

View attachment 345443 Sun Invasion: Own and have cores on Tepeacac, Mexico, Tullucan and Huastec as the Madyas.

Missed opportunity to name it the Sunrise Invasion. ;)

I'm going to miss those Colonize x missions. They really helped early game colonization. :(

This may be beside the point, but I am certain you are aware that "the island of cows and green views" had a population of 2 million people in 1700 which is, incidentally, just as much as Portugal (the European part, not the empire) at that time? By 1800, Ireland's population had in fact increased to 5.2 million (and would explode even further up to 8 million by 1840), while Portugal's population was 2.9 million (the much smaller growth in the 18th century of course being, to a certain extent, due to the Lisbon earthquake, so basing the comparison on the numbers in 1800 is a little unfair towards Portugal).
You might want to read up on certain events in the 19th century (featuring Evil Albion and a little guy called Phytophthora infestans) which led to Ireland's image of a sparsely populated, green idyll of leprechauns and folk-singers. That image certainly was not correct (or, to be exact, even less correct) before the 1840s.

Yes, I know that population is not supposed to be the sole factor for the distribution of provinces, but it helps to put things into perspective a little; I, for one, would love an "Iberia" patch with new events, missions, features and possibly provinces for Portugal, Castille and Aragon, however this argument about Ireland being a complete backwater is a little questionable, to say the least.
you have right, but this is not enough to justify this dlc, when there are other areas in the game veri underrated like aragon or castille (much more than SIR, or UK or china), because spain is not touched since the begining of the game (i only remember a patch where new provinces where added, and nothing else). For this reason, Spain is weaker thand other zones and this is notable in mid and late game (and now whit this dlc is going to be de death of Spain, whit France in land and UK in the seas). i say this because i think that spain, historically, deserves more attention than they have now.

And please pleaseeee, Its better use "Spain" pacth and no "iberia". Iberia is the name of greeks and is no historically exact and its no appear in the imperial idea of Spain, heiress of Rome

I was hoping to see the possibility to form the United Kingdom in someway with this DLC (I know it may not have been in this time period but Germany, Italy, Japan, and etc.. aren't supposed to be in the time period either and yet here they are).

you have right, but this is not enough to justify this dlc, when there are other areas in the game veri underrated like aragon or castille (much more than SIR, or UK or china), because spain is not touched since the begining of the game (i only remember a patch where new provinces where added, and nothing else). For this reason, Spain is weaker thand other zones and this is notable in mid and late game (and now whit this dlc is going to be de death of Spain, whit France in land and UK in the seas). i say this because i think that spain, historically, deserves more attention than they have now.
Well, the El Dorado DLC mostly modelled Spanish stuff - treasure fleets, conquistadors hunting for the seven cities of gold, Treaty of Tordesillas, so it is not quite true that nothing was ever added for Spain. Some focus on Iberia proper still would be great, though.

And please pleaseeee, Its better use "Spain" pacth and no "iberia". Iberia is the name of greeks and is no historically exact and its no appear in the imperial idea of Spain, heiress of Rome
I consciously used "Iberia" because I would like to see some love for Portugal, too :) Perhaps one "Spain" patch to go along with the expansion, and subsequently a "Portugal" free patch with events/other stuff for Portugal?

Well, the El Dorado DLC mostly modelled Spanish stuff - treasure fleets, conquistadors hunting for the seven cities of gold, Treaty of Tordesillas, so it is not quite true that nothing was ever added for Spain. Some focus on Iberia proper still would be great, though.

I consciously used "Iberia" because I would like to see some love for Portugal, too :) Perhaps one "Spain" patch to go along with the expansion, and subsequently a "Portugal" free patch with events/other stuff for Portugal?
Yes, el dorado is "something with spanish ambientation" but is not dedicated to spain (treaty of tordesillas is for all catholics countris, spain and portugal dont have exclusivity). Conquistadores, citiys of gold etc can be recluted and explored for all the nation equally.

About the terms "iberia" or "spain", when i used spain, this includes portugal. How you well know, the imperial idea of "Spain" includes all the countris/kingdoms of the peninsula. The kings of portugal in the past get angry about the Reyes Catolicos, that also have the name of "kings of spain", because the king of portugal "is a king of spain too". My loved sons of portugal deserve a godd treatment too.

Iberia and spain meaning the same thing, but Spain is mor acurate historcally. Thanks for yout attention and thanks for the polite answer

Do you know what the Treaty of Tordesillas is about? It's nothing like it was implemented ingame.
Yes, el dorado is "something with spanish ambientation" but is not dedicated to spain (treaty of tordesillas is for all catholics countris, spain and portugal dont have exclusivity). Conquistadores, citiys of gold etc can be recluted and explored for all the nation equally.

About the terms "iberia" or "spain", when i used spain, this includes portugal. How you well know, the imperial idea of "Spain" includes all the countris/kingdoms of the peninsula. The kings of portugal in the past get angry about the Reyes Catolicos, that also have the name of "kings of spain", because the king of portugal "is a king of spain too". My loved sons of portugal deserve a godd treatment too.

Iberia and spain meaning the same thing, but Spain is mor acurate historcally. Thanks for yout attention and thanks for the polite answer
It's not just that Portugal kings got angry just because they were kings in the "theoretical" Spain. It also meant that any king titling himself "king of Spain" was also laying a claim to Portugal. Same with Ferdinand I of Castille naming himself "Imperator totus Hispaniae".

Submit a bug report ;)