• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 12th of March 2019

Let’s talk about Germany. Before I begin, I’d like you all to spare a few minutes to examine the image below:

nightmare.png

As you may be aware this is a screenshot of the glorious, beautiful, and ambitious EU4 mod ‘Voltaire’s Nightmare’. I’d like to assure you all that we are not going to implement this or anything like this in vanilla EU4.

So what are we going to do? Well for one thing we’re going to continue to rely on abstractions such as the existence of a country called “Switzerland” in 1444 rather than a multitude of semi-independent cantons. “Accuracy”, beyond a certain point, ceases to be relevant or else Voltaire’s Nightmare becomes the standard. Good design, rather than “accuracy”, is what should guide us here.

On that note, I’ve devised a few design guidelines that will advise the way we plan out the region, some of which I’ll share with you now. Bear in mind that these are guidelines and not hard rules; there will likely be the occasional exception.
  • Provinces owned by free cities should be approximately Frankfurt-sized. This creates extra space, as well as a visual distinction between Free Cities and other OPM’s.
  • All other provinces should be noticeably larger than Free City provinces. This sets a limit to how far we should split up the region.

• A development increase in Germany in to be expected, but we should aim to keep it under control. Germany should not be dramatically more developed in the European update compared to 1.28

• We should specifically avoid increasing the starting development of majors like Austria, Burgundy, and Bohemia.

• It is more acceptable for “new” development to be added to weaker and/or new tags

• It can be tempting to split tags up for the sake of “accuracy”, but keep in mind that we still want a mix of large, small, and medium powers. Consider the impact on the balance of power.

• Adding new tags designed to begin as vassals is sometimes desirable, but starting liberty desire should be kept under 50%. If this cannot be achieved without disproportionately buffing the development of the overlord, it is better not to have the vassal.

• Avoid adding independent OPM’s. There are literally hundreds of OPM’s that we could but definitely should not add to the game. New OPM’s should be restricted to Free Cities or else have a very good reason to exist.

• Avoid non-contiguous country borders. This is messy for a variety of reasons, including military access.

• Provinces adjacencies should be clearly visible, always more than a few pixels. Likewise avoid ‘four corners’ style adjacencies where possible.

• It should look good. Think about aesthetics in terms of province borders, states, historical borders, etc.
I’ll skip the nostalgic retrospective today and get right into the gritty details. Let’s take a look at southern Germany:

southgermany.png

Bavaria is looking rather monolithic in 1.28, but it was not so historically. Divided between several Duchies most notably based in Munich, Landshut, and Ingolstadt, the Wittelsbach dynasty is at odds with itself in 1444. Bavaria wouldn’t be united until 1503, when Albrecht IV instituted primogeniture. There were also other independent polities in Bavaria such as the Bishopric of Passau and the Free City of Regensburg. We’re going to have to decide how many Bavarian states are going to exist in 1444, but we are determined for the answer to be “more”. Overall the region’s total development seems a little lackluster compared to the likes of Austria and Bohemia, so expect to see it boosted by comparison.

Looking to the west, there is the potential for more Free Cities in Swabia, as well as splitting the large province of Wurttemberg. Switzerland is trickier. We certainly don’t want to represent each province as a nation, but the fact is that the Swiss Confederacy wasn’t as large in 1444 as we currently present it. Graubünden for instance, later unified under the Three Leagues, had yet to be incorporated. We certainly want to add a province, and very possibly also a tag, for the city of Geneva. Geneva in 1444 was a somewhat unwilling subject of Savoy, and would eventually secure its liberation through entry into the Swiss Confederacy. We're also thinking about how we want to represent that rather unique "government" of the Confederacy, but more on that much later. The passes through the Alps could also use some work; we feel that there ought to be a connection between Savoia and Piedmont, while the pass between Piedmont and Wallis seems less necessary.

northgermany.png

And here’s northern Germany. As I noted in my design guidelines, there’s a temptation to overboard splitting up e.g. Saxony and Brunswick into many small duchies. In this region I think we should resist this urge for the sake of maintaining a mix of countries of different power levels within the HRE. Saxony for instance shall likely remain united. There are however candidates for splitting and potential new tags that could be added to the region. Pomerania and Silesia are both good candidates for division. Luneburg, Verden, and Magdeburg could potentially be elevated from OPM status. New OPM’s such as the Free City of Nordhausen are also possibilities. We’ll be carefully considering which provinces and countries merit inclusion and how they each fit into our overall goals for the region.

Moving on to the Low Countries, this is a region that has seen a lot of iteration over the course of EU4’s history. There is very little that can still be done without over-inflating its province density and risking an excessive reduction in the development of each province. That said, some changes we’re considering include an additional province in Flanders, splitting up Brabant, and adding the province of Julich (though we’re not quite sure how Julich is going to work). The Friesland/Utrecht border is something often complained about and will likely be revised in some way, though the solution probably will not be to add a new province. I’ve also seen suggestions for adding Frisian culture along parts of the coast, which is something we’re considering.

I hope that I’ve been able to give you some insight into the way we think about map changes, and once again I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Germany and the HRE. This concludes our series of dev diaries on the upcoming map changes. Next week you’ll be hearing from me again, but this time on the subject of mission trees.

Last edited:
Oh and make Prussia blue.

It has been a long time since I heard the call for Prussian Blue Prussia. If I understood correctly, Johan is the one that always nixed the idea. I guess this is the first time that Germany has been revisited with Jake, a non-Swede, in charge of EU4. @DDRJake, don't disappoint us, you know that Prussia should always have been Prussian blue from the start.

I'd love to get an independent Osnabrück. It is my hometown and it was never part of Münster (actually there is even some rivaling). Also it got historical importance through the ratification of the peace of westphalia. Another interesting historical fact is that it was the only bishopric that had both religions, protestantism and catholicism, peacefully as its official religions.

Some ideas:
  • I'd love to see Kulmbach as a province, the upper lands of the Hohenzollern principalities in Franconia. If new OPMs are undesired, there could be a new tag for the Burgraviate of Nuremburg that covers what used to be Ansbach and Kulmbach. "Kulmbach" is in my opinion the better name than "Bayreuth" because the Margraves didn't move to Bayreuth until 1604.
  • If and only if it's possible to balance it, the Ruhr area definitely needs more coal.
  • The County of Lippe should be added, or at least its province. It isn't the result of divisions and can't be subsumed under any other tag, but existed all the time until 1947.
  • The Free City of Cologne, since it was one of the biggest cities in Germany. The most important city of the electorate was Bonn.
  • Mainz should be splitted up.
  • What I am a bit afraid of is the state cap if new states are added since you can't become a kingdom in the HRE if you're not an electorate.
  • Also, as it has been mentioned, please review Poland in respect of the Prussian / German expansion. At the moment, Kalisz becomes "Gnesen" if conquered by a German tag and Gniezno stays Gniezno. The Prussian lands can impossibly develop in a historic way. Actually, the western parts were under the rule of the Polish King and the eastern parts were under the rule of a Duke who was a vassal of the King. In EU4, it always turns out almost the other way around: Danzig becomes a vassal and the Teutonic Order disappears devided between Lithuania, Poland and Danzig.

Bohemia should get at least one additional state - moravia - perhaps with moravian culture

This could be done. Moravia ingame is actually smaller than it really was/is. Bohemian provinces cover a part of it. It would be reasonable to make the two Moravians provinces extend a bit to the west and add a third Znojmo province to allow for three states within Bohemia. Additionaly, Kladsko, which is now part of Silesia, should be part of Hradec province in the EU4 timeframe.

Maybe a new region of czechoslovakia? with Silesia included (it belonged longest to Bohemia)
No, not really. That would be very ahistorical, language was the only major tie between Bohemia and Upper Hungary. Culture, administration and trade in Bohemia were influenced by the HRE, whereas nowadays Slovakia was influenced by, well, Hungarian systems. The last time Czechs and Slovaks were part of a single political entity was over 6 centuries before the EU4 start date. Silesia was heavily affected by German colonization too and culturally wasn't actually that close even to Bohemia, yet alone Slovakia. Panslavism appeared only in the 19th century.

Oh and plz add Hussite faith same as you did with Anglican faith

That would be a bit of a stretch. The moderate branch of Hussitism that was the dominant denomination in 1444 and Bohemia actually recognised papal primacy and was initially legitimized by the pope as well. It didn't aim to fully separate itself from the Church, that sentiment returned only when protestantism emerged. It would be hard to justify it as a separate religion.

Last edited:
The Alsace tag itself is the Prince-Bishopric of Strassburg, which would make the inclusion of the free city alongside that sort of tricky.
The Free City then, obviously.

Just in case you didn't know (but from your formulation "there is the potential for more Free Cities in Swabia, as well as splitting the large province of Wurttemberg" I guess you do) splitting up Württemberg into W.-Stuttgart and W.-Urach is quite an accurrate option for the 15th century. (google: Nürtinger Vertrag/treaty of Nürtingen). If you want to add something special to those opms, they could start with the same dynasty or a RM and/or even with a "reuniting" event "Münsinger Vertrag", if the relation of the two is good around 50 years ingame. encouraging players to play *tallish* and cooperative. Stuttgart could start with more development than Urach, but Urach could have the better trade good. Since Calw is part of the W.-Urach, cloth would be plausible. So thats just the point of a local in terms of historical accuracy. Sadliy I have no idea how this plays into balancing or good game design.

Considering Reichsstädte, there were some in the region but (even if not considering a splitting of Württemberg and an addition of Konstanz, which I think is a good idea) you can't add them all. Too many tags, that woud be too small on the map. 1, max 2 could be an enrichment to the game. As interesting as the complicated decentralised history of Württemberg might be, EU4 covers the world and this region just seems to small to cover every detail of it.

Someone suggested a swabian tag, which tickles my patriotism. It's not accurate at all and there already is a (historically questionable but from game design understandable) unity in form of the swabian culture, which ingame even extends to Baden xD. If you want to have formable nations in the region, I'd suggest Württemberg (If you take my upper suggestion of the Münsiger Vertrag) and/or Königreich Württemberg (to rise the government level) even though the latter was founded in 1806.

A taboo on exclaves within the HRE is strange, too. We already have quite some (Austria, Provence, Cologne, etc.), what's wrong with that.

I can't and won't agree that aesthetics is more important than accuracy. The most accurate map, the better. I'm not asking for the map from 'Voltaire's Nightmare' though, that would be unnecessary. But I'd really prefer to have as many states as possible to make the best political recreation of the HRE.

Ehhh, I'm concerned about the addition of any new provinces for places like the Benelux and Germany... Adding more provinces = more AE.
Unless the dev of said provinces was reduced, but if that were to occur, it would be like conquering the steppe hordes instead of large built up cities...

Let's just... I dunno, stop? At this rate, we'll be able to take 2 provinces from the Benelux in a war before half of the HRE says "yano what, Austria? I don't like this Hesse fella so much. How about we make him commit not alive?"

And this would actually be really historical. As large land grabs really did nto happen in central europe. Also I hope they revisit Iberia after total lackluster failure Golden Century was even in map changes.

Geneva was called the protestant Rome and I think deserves some love. Farel and Calvin both preached in Geneva. Geneva grew a lot also because it took religious refugees from France at that time. For the economical part, Geneva played an important role after the middle age as a commercial, banking and industrial centre (watches were a big part of industries). and Savoy failed to conquer geneva in 1602 and people celebrate it by eating a cooking pot made from chocolat with fake vegetable inside and it's super cute.

I feel like Confederacies shouldn't be a unique govt but instead a mechanic any nation can theoretically use to group up with others. Like, say... Iroquois and Huron Confederacies, Aq Qoyunlu and so on. It would be like an alliance, but even more entwined and near impossible to casually fall apart like alliances tend to do.

I kinda don't see why Silesia should be split into multiple tags, if Saxony is to be kept in one piece. It could use more provicnes though (the game files already contain notes on them from Trin Tragula anyway), and Kladsko should be part of Bohemia in 1444. Making Lusatia(s) a separate releasable/vassal tag would make more sense IMHO.

By the way, right now there are only two unreleased nations in the German part of the HRE. Thuringia and Meissen. Thuringia used to exist in 1444 prior to Art of War and its current province is very large, yet still comparably small to rest of Saxony, so I don't see why it couldn't start as a vassal to Saxony for example. Meissen is weird, because under realistic circumstances it cannot even be spawned and lacks any cores, which doesn't make much sense, given that it was integrated deeper into Saxony only a few years before the start date. Maybe a core would do it justice?
Problem is that Meissen is Saxony, Saxony is Meissen in eu4 1444 time period because Meissen inherited Saxony and claimed their name.

You're talking about adding a lot of new "free cities" does that mean you will also be increasing the free city cap for the HRE? Or will these new free cities be free cities in name only? Or will some old free cities be losing their status?