• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of August 2016

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It is definitely a game of staying power, as this saturday we celebrate the 3 year anniversary of the release. I’m back from paternity leave, so now I’m here, and will do most of the development diaries for this expansion. Next week I’ll be at gamescom, where our plans is to reveal it all, so Jake will be writing next week development diary, as after all, the show must go on.

We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting. In the june diary about ruler personalities we avoided talking about the empty spot at the court screen, but here goes.

In the next expansion, your king will get a queen. A queen is obviously named Consort or a government-specific name if you have a ruling Queen.

You have a chance to get a queen at any time you sign a royal marriage, and she will then be of the dynasty of the country of origin. There is also the chance of getting a queen of a local minor noble dynasty if you gain a heir without a current queen.

eu4_106.jpg

And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead. In some governments this is not possible though, as they won’t allow it due to other mechanics, like the Dutch Republic or Iqta.

The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….

Reactions:
Small change: please put Conquest CB at the top of the CB list. Many times on Iron Man I took wrong CB when I declared war on Rival.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Scaling the monarch power cost would change nothing to who has the dlc and quite a bit to who hasn't, imho already having the ability to control the kingdom during regency is a lot
I partially agree, and I am sorry for the late reply but I was on vacation this past week.

Obviously if we were to scale monarch power, then we would make it such that it only scales for those that have the DLC. Though it is still a bit of a messy affair. I think interpolating cohort ruler stats is the way to go; I think that, even though you are correct in saying that this change as it currently stands is good, we can make it even better. And why not?

Might have missed the answer: but could it happen that I marry the queen regent or female heir to a throne and thus trigger a PU?

Reactions:
I have a feeling this means Iqta will get something new too.
okay but... I don't see any reasons why Sultanates shouldn't have Queens though? For exmaple: At some points the Ottoman Empire was practically ruled by mothers. The mothers of the Sultan.
so I really don't understand this decision. What new mechanics could iqta get to disable a Queen taking over after your king says sayonara?

but tbh, I won't complain as long as I get, in the one or other way, this:

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

I asked this is another thread where it was more topical, but how will you handle things like Margaret of Anjou being the blood royal and producing heirs with her name or not giving up the crown when the regency has come to an end. You show a pick of MoA being the queen, and her son John Lancaster as her heir, which makes no sense. Regency should have ended we he turned 15.

I have a question and a suggestion:

Suggestion:
Declaring war with a queen under regency should cost some legitimacy. -5 legit against rivals, -10 for anything else. Its got some historical basis in that the queen regents who exercised alot of power made the heir kinda weak when he finally came to power. Nobles and courtiers would still be going to the queen to exert influence, then the queen would whisper to the king to do this or that.

Question
Does the queens dynasty do anything for Personal Unions?
This is like an area that make alot of sense because alot of the time kings would make a claim from their mothers side. And if the other nations king had a weak distant claim then lots of people might support the guy through the mothers line.

And you guys might want to rework PU's a bit. Getting a PU over a small nation is not a big deal since it takes forever to integrate and there is high risk of the PU breaking.