• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of August 2016

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It is definitely a game of staying power, as this saturday we celebrate the 3 year anniversary of the release. I’m back from paternity leave, so now I’m here, and will do most of the development diaries for this expansion. Next week I’ll be at gamescom, where our plans is to reveal it all, so Jake will be writing next week development diary, as after all, the show must go on.

We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting. In the june diary about ruler personalities we avoided talking about the empty spot at the court screen, but here goes.

In the next expansion, your king will get a queen. A queen is obviously named Consort or a government-specific name if you have a ruling Queen.

You have a chance to get a queen at any time you sign a royal marriage, and she will then be of the dynasty of the country of origin. There is also the chance of getting a queen of a local minor noble dynasty if you gain a heir without a current queen.

eu4_106.jpg

And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead. In some governments this is not possible though, as they won’t allow it due to other mechanics, like the Dutch Republic or Iqta.

The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Johan and welcome back :D. This queen feature definitely sounds good - added depth in government and royal marriages. Looking forward to the next DD, and what you're planning to reveal at Gamescom (please be Vicky 3, please by Vicky 3......).

Reactions:
Reactions:
I like it. :)

Will you change some of the Women in History events to account for this feature?

Will consorts affect PU chances?

Reactions:
In the current build of the game, it only allows the user to see the king/queen and their heirs (one children at a time).
Will there be plans to allow us to see more of the family tree, but not in great detail like Crusader King two.

Does this mean you guys have reworked on how the succession works, If so, how much?

What if your wife/husband country of origin is no more, what does that mean for your wife/husband?

With your spouts, will we get events that could change our gameplay like scandal in the bedroom?

Reactions:
Happy anniversary! great new feature.
A few questions,
I take it that royal marriages now last until the consort dies?
Does it matter if the consort/regent is related to the underage heir? 2nd wife/consort will still become regent of the heir produced from the ruler's first marriage?
Any events to differentiate between a ruling regent and a regular ruler?
No consort at death, usual regency council? any council events?
What about heir spouses, no spouse/consort until they take over?

Now I really want ruler portraits, after the Indian and Asian advisor portraits are done.

Reactions:
How much more work before you guys can give us a released date?

I'm hungry for new EU4 content

Yes, finally no more war-block during regencies. I don't care if the price of the DLC is my first born, I have waited for this for so long.

I also liked the other stuff. How will this interact with PU-mechanics and dynasties? Will the heir always inherit the father's dynasty?

I also liked the other stuff. How will this interact with PU-mechanics and dynasties? Will the heir always inherit the father's dynasty?

The heir inherits the rulers dynasty. If the ruler is the father then the heir inherits his dynasty.

Reactions:
Will you change some of the Women in History events to account for this feature?

Some have been changed a bit but in general if they allowed you to get a new ruler they still will.

Reactions:
Can't wait for that first bug that will somehow allow a homosexual mariage.
Imagine! Legitimtae 15th century homosexual monarchs.
#ProgressiveParadox :)

Reactions:
Wow. Never expected that to change. I think that's a great change for the better. Is it completely random whether you get a spouse from any given Royal Marriage, or is there any way to influence it?

I was thinking about it recently, how a lot of people (including myself, at times) have asked for more stuff to do during peace, and I now think it's better to focus on ways to let you be at war more often, as that's really the main focus of the game. I think Condotierri are a good step towards it, and I think this is another step in the right direction; more ways to get involved in lots of frequent smaller wars as opposed to fewer, larger ones.

By the way, did I miss what the icon between the government tab and diplomacy tab (the little roman temple or something?) is and what the pie charts next to the rulers are for? (I don't have mare nostrum, might be that I missed something there)
The new icon has something to do with running your country (laws, I think? It might have been mentioned in an earlier diary). I don't think we know what the pie charts represent. I don't have Mare Nostrum either (darn economy), but I don't think it has anything to do with them.

Reactions:
By the way, did I miss what the icon between the government tab and diplomacy tab (the little roman temple or something?) is and what the pie charts next to the rulers are for? (I don't have mare nostrum, might be that I missed something there)
That's the new government tab [old one is now court tab**].
The pie-charts are for the new ruler traits.

**Check the wiki for the latest DDs [main page] if you want to see some screenshots.