• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of August 2016

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It is definitely a game of staying power, as this saturday we celebrate the 3 year anniversary of the release. I’m back from paternity leave, so now I’m here, and will do most of the development diaries for this expansion. Next week I’ll be at gamescom, where our plans is to reveal it all, so Jake will be writing next week development diary, as after all, the show must go on.

We have one vision for this patch and expansion, and that is to breakthru and make the organisational aspects of your country more interesting. In the june diary about ruler personalities we avoided talking about the empty spot at the court screen, but here goes.

In the next expansion, your king will get a queen. A queen is obviously named Consort or a government-specific name if you have a ruling Queen.

You have a chance to get a queen at any time you sign a royal marriage, and she will then be of the dynasty of the country of origin. There is also the chance of getting a queen of a local minor noble dynasty if you gain a heir without a current queen.

eu4_106.jpg

And when another one bites the dust, and you previously would have ended up with a regency, your queen will now head up the regency instead. In some governments this is not possible though, as they won’t allow it due to other mechanics, like the Dutch Republic or Iqta.

The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits. If another nation gets a queen from your nation, they will be viewing you slightly more favorably.

Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it. A Queen Regent will allow you do declare wars like normal during a regency.

Now, its time the play the game….

Reactions:
If your reigning queen dies and leaves you in a regency, will the 'Prince Consort' take over and allow you to declare wars? If the queen feature is paid, does that mean that declaring war in a regency is paid also?

Reactions:
I don't understand this sentence. Seems to have wonky sentence structure or maybe there's simply a word missing or something?

The Queens legitimacy will be chosen out of three other legitmacies. So if she's from Saxony for example.

Saxony has 70 legitimacy
Your nation has 85 legitimacy
Your heir has 90 legitimacy

She will take the highest of those three values, in this case 90 from your heir.

Reactions:
The legitimacy when a queen is the highest of either the current heir, current legitimacy and the country she originated from.

One of the benefits of having a queen is that you will know in advance which stats you will get, and a personality which may give benefits.
Is there anyone can tell me this in more easy way? I can't understand this..

For second part, I can understand the meaning of sentence, but can't understand the way it will be represented to the game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That looks awesome!

I would have loved to see the Queen's stats also matter outside of regencies. That could help mitigate bad rulers for example.

Reactions:
Same of you may say its a scandal the way the mechanics have worked since the release of original EU3, and have put us under pressure to change it.
Now that's an understatement!

Reactions:
You might want to check the spelling in the dev diary again, there's a same in there that should be some and a few sentences are difficult to follow.

That being said.

AWESOME!!!! YES!!! FIST BUMB! YEAH!

I don't know how you do it but you just keep piling up good changes and additions on top of good changes and additions in this expansion. absolutely fantastic. Not being ***ed when your ruler dies and you get a regency for 10+ years is awesome.

I'm curious to see if this mechanic (now or in the future) will expand the personal Union game a little bit. Does having a queen (or mother of your ruler) from a certain country increase the chance of getting a PU with that country? That would sound like a good and logical addition.

Reactions:
That looks awesome!

I would have loved to see the Queen's stats also matter outside of regencies.

There are some events related to consorts that relate to things like this :)

Reactions:
By the way, did I miss what the icon between the government tab and diplomacy tab (the little roman temple or something?) is and what the pie charts next to the rulers are for? (I don't have mare nostrum, might be that I missed something there)

Is there anyone can tell me this in more easy way? I can't understand this..

For second part, I can understand the meaning of sentence, but can't understand the way it will be represented to the game.

The first part was explained in a previous comment above, here it is:

The Queens legitimacy will be chosen out of three other legitmacies. So if she's from Saxony for example.

Saxony has 70 legitimacy
Your nation has 85 legitimacy
Your heir has 90 legitimacy

She will take the highest of those three values, in this case 90 from your heir.

As for the second part: Just like every ruler has stats and a personality (ruler personalities will be introduced in the new DLC), the queen will also have stats and a personality. And since the queen becomes your regent if your ruler dies, you will know what kind of regency council you will get beforehand.

Is that austrian army/manpower the 1444 base one? Because it's increased by 25% from 1.17. Is it because of the great power status? Or are there more changes to the army coming?

It's not just the manpower pool. Currently, Austria starts with 37k men in the field and 51k manpower. This Austria has 55k men in the field and 72k manpower

Reactions:
It's a killer-Queen feature.
Guaranteed to blow your mind. ;)

Reactions:
It's not just the manpower pool. Currently, Austria starts with 37k men in the field and 51k manpower. This Austria has 55k men in the field and 72k manpower

I was playing on higher difficulty and tagged around to find a king without a queen.

Reactions: