• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 10th of January 2017

Hello everyone and welcome to the first development diary for Europa Universalis IV in the year of 2017!

Since the last development diary, we have tweaked the amount of splendor you get, so that you get less splendor, and there is now a bigger choice of which abilities you want in the era.

Today we’ll delve into the Age of Reformation, which lasts from 1530 until 1620.

Rules
Religious Rules are valid. (Previously before 1650)
Counts Feud, French Wars of Religion & Religious Turmoil, can only happen in this Age.

Objectives
  1. Embrace protestantism or reformed as your state religion.
  2. Humanism or Religious Ideagroup full.
  3. Convert ten provinces of a different religion..
  4. Gain at least 5 colonial nations.
  5. Own all provinces of your culturegroup.
  6. Gain trade-bonus in spice or chinaware or silk
  7. Forceconvert another nation.

Abilities
  • +50% Institution Spread from True Faith
  • 30% cheaper culture conversion
  • Gain 0.3 Prestige from each development converted to your religion
  • 50% cheaper enforcing religion through war.
  • Placed Merchants grants +20 Trade Power instead of +2.
  • Allow Edict “Religion Enforced” : Religious Centers have 50% less chance of picking provinces in that state.
  • 20% of ship power propagate.
  • Spain - 30% less shock_damage_received.
  • Mughals - 50% cheaper artillery
  • Poland: +1 legitimacy
  • Persia: 30% Less reinforce cost.
eu4_2.png

Next week we will delve into the Age of Absolutism, and the new Absolutism mechanic which will be part of the free 1.20 patch...

Reactions:
Will the AI actively pursue these objectives?

In other words will there be a lot of religious/humanist idea group picking, converting, and switching between areas to colonise (to get the 5 CNs)?

Reactions:
Please fix the Ironman savegame bug. :(

Reactions:
I like it, but was hoping for a few reworks relating to criticisms of the last one, like no special treatment for some countries and not others. For instance, why would you give the Mughals special treatment? In the thousands of hours that I played EU4, I've never seen the AI form the Mughals. I'd like to think that the AI was tweaked to be more able at it, but I somehow doubt it, and I still think it's a waste. I was also hoping for more tangible mechanics, like razing, to make the Ages system a bigger deal in terms of gameplay. Lastly, the +50% Institution Spread from True Faith seems imba next to the other generic bonuses, which aren't really practical.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Cool. I have one question regarding how many abilities one can expect to snatch-up:
Have you already got some idea of the splendor cost for the abilities?

If I recall, you got 3 splendor per month per fulfilled objective. But now you get less.
Interesting is of course the ratio between the income and cost.

Religious Rules are valid. (Previously before 1650)
So they now end in 1620?

Seems sad that if you are to change them from 1650 you aren't making it dynamic when religion loses it's big importance.

Reactions:
  • Allow Edict “Religion Enforced” : Religious Centers have 50% less chance of picking provinces in that state.
The "meat" of this DD - new "edict" mechanics.

Also: so many new effects. Just think of the possibilities!!!

Reactions:
So you're saying that Korea gets the culture-group splendor automatically just from their starting provinces god paradox so imba obvious bias terrible mechanic /s

The bonuses look interesting, although I'm not convinced on the prestige from converting one. If I'm a big converting power like Spain, I feel like I won't need it, and if I'm a smaller nation that could benefit more, I won't have access to enough provinces to use it. Could be nice to counter the -100 prestige for religious conversion though.

The "meat" of this DD - new "edict" mechanics.

Also: so many new effects. Just think of the possibilities!!!

It was mentioned on Twitter a while ago. There was one mentioned for the previous age too: "Feudal De Jure Law" or something like that?

Reactions:
Reactions:
'Joining the Reformation' doesn't sound like any sort of accomplishment, it's just pressing a button. Also, I'm not sure why players need an explicit incentive to take Religious or Humanist on top of the considerable advantages they already confer in a period of religious turmoil.

The other objectives look OK though.

Reactions:
Can these boundaries be dynamically triggered, rather than merely fixed dates?

That would be really awesome like the end off this period could be when the 30 years war has been fought and all the religious distasters have happened. Depending on what the new absolutism mechanic Will be something related to that Will trigger the next age etc.

Reactions:
'Joining the Reformation' doesn't sound like any sort of accomplishment, it's just pressing a button. Also, I'm not sure why players need an explicit incentive to take Religious or Humanist on top of the considerable advantages they already confer in a period of religious turmoil.

The other objectives look OK though.

They are already much used idea groups so i see it more like a bonus :D

Those fixed dates ( 1530-1620) feels *very* railroady, imo. I hope they will not remain like this.

Reactions: