• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Bonus Development Diary - 5th of May 2017

Hi boys & girls.

I just had a few things that we've done recently, and which will come when we release 1.22, and that we wish to tell you about.

Press Sailors
First of all, we're adding a new subject interaction to those of you that owns Mare Nostrum, called Press Sailors. This can be done on colonial nations, and will give you 20% of their sailors immediately, if they have less than 50% liberty desire. Of course, This will increase that by 15%.

Speaking of colonies and liberty desire. Colonial Nations will no longer the liberty desire from relative power, but instead a bit more from highly tariffed they are.

eu4_37.png

Blockade Changes

We have also added some aspects to blockades in 1.22. Now blockades will increase devastation, just like sieges does, and blockades block devastation recovery in the same way.

Marches
As some of you have noticed, Marches tend to be heavily restricted in multiplayer campaigns, while being somewhat limited in singeplayer. For this, we've changed their limits from a flat 200 development cap to that they must have less than 25% development compared to their overlord. Send Offices have the same limitation as the march bonus now.

Aristocracy Tweaks
- Military Traditions moved to Second place in Aristocratic Ideas.
- The Aristocratic Idea Local Nobility now gives global autonomy and yearly absolutism.
- The Aristocratic Idea Serfdom increased to 33% Manpower from 25%.
- The Aristocratic Idea international Diplomacy now also gives +1 free leaders.
- The Aristocratic Idea noble Noble Resilience replaced with Noble Connections (+20% mercenary pool).
- Aristocratic Finisher is now +1 leader siege.

Buddhism has not been all that popular, so we're doing a small overhaul to it in 1.22.

Karma now gives +2 dip rep and 5% discipline for being in the middle, with +1 dip rep at high and +2.5% discipline at low, so there are no longer severe penalties for not being in middle.
You will no longer lose karma for taking your own cores, and the karma you lose for taking land is now scaled by your administrative efficiency. We have also added so that you gain karma by 0.1 per development that your missionaries convert.

Cheerio, and we're back on tuesday, when @Trin Tragula takes a look at some fun map changes we're doing...

Yeah I don't expect him to forget it, I'm just impatient right now.

But thanks anyways for the info;)
In case it wasn't clear I'm impatient too.:p

New provinces always makes me really excited.

That makes no sense to me, why hop on a ship if you know youll die like flies just from being on the ship, no less from bad weather or battles.

Attrition has to be just normal, naval battles have to be the ones that eat at sailors. Ship carries x sailors, they die as the ship gets destroyed, to repair you need to refill sailors at port, and repair the ship ofc. You only lose sailors from your counter at the top when you get a ship or repair a ship.

Why join the army if you know you'll die like flies just from being in the army, no less from bad weather or battles? Attrition has to be just normal, land battles have to be the ones that eat at manpower. Armies has x soldiers, they die as battles fought, to reinforce you need to refill manpower at fort, and reinforce the unit ofc. You only lower manpower from your counter at the top when you recruit a unit or reinforce a unit.

By the way, a lot of sailors at this time were press-ganged.

Last edited:
Why join the army if you know you'll die like flies just from being in the army, no less from bad weather or battles? Attrition has to be just normal, land battles have to be the ones that eat at manpower. Armies has x soldiers, they die as battles fought, to reinforce you need to refill manpower at fort, and reinforce the unit ofc. You only lower manpower from your counter at the top when you recruit a unit or reinforce a unit.

By the way, a lot of sailors at this time were press-ganged.

what the hell are you trying to mean, attrition in land represents crossing a jungle and falling to malaria or whatever, or crossing russia during winter, or trying to send 10 million people to danzig for 3 years and expect them to live off the land.

A ship crossing an ocean is a voyage, and always carries supplies for the voyage, 3% just for being on a ship is silly. Now if we mean the "time at sea" attrtion thats fine, as the sailors would obv die off once the food runs out. As such tying it to the ships own attrtion and repairs is expected, sine those mechanics were based on the sailors before they decided it should be a separate number.

What would new groups be about? Any ideas?
Philosophical ideas? When they add a better science and philosophy engine to the game (an aspect of the period that I feel is severely missing).
Oh and colonial conquest ideas, which takes certain war like aspects from expansion and exploration and dump it into one tree in military category.

This makes so much sense I don't understand this wasn't used in the first place. :(
Well I got to admit it's not my idea but it seems great so I thought I would repeat it.

Philosophical ideas? When they add a better science and philosophy engine to the game (an aspect of the period that I feel is severely missing).
Oh and colonial conquest ideas, which takes certain war like aspects from expansion and exploration and dump it into one tree in military category.

Well I got to admit it's not my idea but it seems great so I thought I would repeat it.
Exploitation Ideas (mil colonial ideas)
First Come, First Serve: +1 Colonist
Rule the Waves: Morale of Navies +10%
Cultured Elites: Liberty Desire in Subjects -10%
Colonial Garrisons: +10% Land Force Limit
World Wars: -5% Warscore provincial warscore cost, +5% Land and Naval Movement Speed
Global Outreach: +20% Improved Relations Modifier
Always Our's: Core Decay Time +10% (Your cores go away slower and other people's cores go away faster)
Finisher: +1 Leader without Upkeep

They don't have to be in that specific order but this is roughly what it could look like.

I do not think we need more ideagroups when several of the ones that are already in the game are a lot worse in almost all circumstances than others. When we get to the point where the groups that are in the game are all viable options we can think about new ones. For now make the terrible ones (like Naval or Expansion) more viable.

Exploitation Ideas (mil colonial ideas)
First Come, First Serve: +1 Colonist
Rule the Waves: Morale of Navies +10%
Cultured Elites: Liberty Desire in Subjects -10%
Colonial Garrisons: +10% Land Force Limit
World Wars: -5% Warscore provincial warscore cost, +5% Land and Naval Movement Speed
Global Outreach: +20% Improved Relations Modifier
Always Our's: Core Decay Time +10% (Your cores go away slower and other people's cores go away faster)
Finisher: +1 Leader without Upkeep

They don't have to be in that specific order but this is roughly what it could look like.
I really think that it ought not to come with a colonialist. There are a bit too many of those around anyway. Nah this should be a tree about subjugating primitives and taking colonies of other powers.
Actually little of what you suggest seems very colonial, it seem average stuff dressed up in colonial clothes. I'm thinking more along the lines of decreased warscore costs for provinces overseas as such. Perhaps one which grant a morale bonus to you colonial nations?

I do not think we need more ideagroups when several of the ones that are already in the game are a lot worse in almost all circumstances than others. When we get to the point where the groups that are in the game are all viable options we can think about new ones. For now make the terrible ones (like Naval or Expansion) more viable.

I agree that there has to be some sort of rebalancing for ideas but adding a new group of each type (plus Theocratic ideas for theocracies) could be what kickstarts that process.
I really think that it ought not to come with a colonialist. There are a bit too many of those around anyway. Nah this should be a tree about subjugating primitives and taking colonies of other powers.
Actually little of what you suggest seems very colonial, it seem average stuff dressed up in colonial clothes. I'm thinking more along the lines of decreased warscore costs for provinces overseas as such. Perhaps one which grant a morale bonus to you colonial nations?
I though about bonuses for your colonial nations but I thought that if they try to break free then they would be much harder to fight(though if you make it so that you AND your subjects got the bonuses then that would work). The colonist was there for the reason you said: faster colonization. It's a colonial idea group, so you're going to be making a large commitment by taking this over more popular idea mil groups (i.e. defensive, offensive, quantity), so that was to reinforce the point that this is a colonial group. I tried to valence historical colonial ideas (Rule the Waves, Colonial Garrisons) with what would be helpful to someone who wants a large colonial empire(Improve relations for colonizing east instead of west and maintaining colonial nations relations, liberty desire reduction to keep CN's in check, reduced core decay to retake CN's and lost lands). I would love to hear what ideas you'd put in that group because we both had very different ideas of what it would look like.

I agree that there has to be some sort of rebalancing for ideas but adding a new group of each type (plus Theocratic ideas for theocracies) could be what kickstarts that process.

I though about bonuses for your colonial nations but I thought that if they try to break free then they would be much harder to fight(though if you make it so that you AND your subjects got the bonuses then that would work). The colonist was there for the reason you said: faster colonization. It's a colonial idea group, so you're going to be making a large commitment by taking this over more popular idea mil groups (i.e. defensive, offensive, quantity), so that was to reinforce the point that this is a colonial group. I tried to valence historical colonial ideas (Rule the Waves, Colonial Garrisons) with what would be helpful to someone who wants a large colonial empire(Improve relations for colonizing east instead of west and maintaining colonial nations relations, liberty desire reduction to keep CN's in check, reduced core decay to retake CN's and lost lands). I would love to hear what ideas you'd put in that group because we both had very different ideas of what it would look like.
Actually that is kind of my point I think that colonial powers should break free, if you invest a more powerful military in them of course they'll be more likely to go their on way. It's a trade of.

Shame they are already moving on to a new expansion, there is still some stuff that needs tweaked from the last one :(

The only thing I hate about PDX is the fact that they balance their features after months. They DO balance and improve their old features, its just a shame that things like raiding coasts has still not been made very easy to do. You need to remember the dates you can go raiding and if you are one month late the AI will have stolen all your money and you'll have to wait another 10 years. I mean coem on PDX please just add a notification.

I don't understand the part about Colonial Nations. If the liberty desire is only triggered by high tariffs, then there will never be any independence war.
Seconded, it should be really hard to hold on to CNs in the revolutionary era.

Seconded, it should be really hard to hold on to CNs in the revolutionary era.
Maybe add a modifier that increases the Liberty desire in ALL subjects in the Revolutionary era?