• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Developer Diary | Joint Focus Tree

Hej hei folks! Carlo here, and I’m super excited to present this new feature, probably the first to be made with multiplayer in mind. Just remember that this is all work in progress so you’ll definitely see stuff that will change for release.

Let me start with a hypothetical scenario:

You and your friends decide to play a co-op campaign of Hearts of Iron. You get your healthy snacks and drinks, jump into a voice chat and load the game, hoping to play as Monarchist Poland. There’s one problem though, one of your friends wants to play as monarchist Lithuania, and hopes to annex Poland and the other Baltic nations. If this has happened to you, then you’ll love the Joint Focus Tree. Actually I’m sure you’ll love it even if it hasn’t.

As nations that start the game disadvantaged against the big majors, a lot of minors rely on absorbing the countries around them to be able to compete. This happens with the Baltics, China, South America and importantly for us, the Nordic countries. We’re hoping the Joint Focus Tree will solve this by giving you and your friends the opportunity to collaborate with your neighbors and make your faction be more powerful than the sum of its parts, so you can take the fight to the Majors and win, TOGETHER!
1. Joint Focus Trees Combined.jpg

But what is it? Well it’s a shared focus tree that Nordics will have in addition to the country’s normal focus tree, but when you start it you create a special faction where anyone can complete focuses in it, and they will complete in every relevant country, giving effects to all Nordic members of the faction.
2. Form Alliance Tooltip.jpg

Let’s take “Joint Military Exercises" as a very basic example. If Norway completes it, it’ll get 80 Army Experience and 2 75% Land Doctrine bonuses, but because it’s a Joint Focus, it will give 60 Army Experience and 2 50% Land Doctrine bonuses to every other Nordic in the faction.
3. Joint Military Exercises.jpg

The best part is that then another country, say, Denmark, can complete any focus that requires it while Norway does another focus, Joint or otherwise. You’re all working together and strengthening each other.
20. Multiple focuses.jpg

Other focuses give the Originator (The player that completed the focus) a special National Spirit that makes it the leader in that certain area, and because the requirements are pretty high, you will have to coordinate with your friends so each country specializes in one area to continue spreading the benefits around.
4. Northern Navies.jpg

Now that I’ve explained the basic concept, let me describe how Arms Against Tyranny’s Joint Focus Tree will work:

If you’re playing as any of the Nordic countries and you’re not a puppet, you’ll eventually have the option of forming one of the three factions planned for this:

The Nordic Council: The Nordic democracies have joined forces to defend their political systems and to eradicate autocracy and oppression abroad (There’s currently an actual Nordic Council in real life, though with a different aim). They will use their resources and expertise to focus on quality over quantity, and manufacturing technologically advanced equipment, while still providing for their people.
5. Nordic Council Tree.png

The Northern People’s Union: The peoples of the North united against fascism and capitalism in Europe and beyond. Every worker that’s not making the tools of communism at home must take up arms and fight abroad. Expect superior numbers in both personnel and materiel
6. Northern People’s Union.png

And finally, the Kalmar League: A mirror of the historical Kalmar Union, the monarchies and dictatorships of Scandinavia and Finland call upon their shared past to bring forth their common goal of domination, through armed conflict and conquest. By any means necessary.
7. Kalmar League.png

As you can see, many of the icons, names and effects will change depending on which one fits your country’s current politics. Credit goes to Marie for her excellent art, there was a lot of back and forth to establish a unique visual identity for each faction, and they are some of my favorite focus icons in Hearts of Iron. Here’s some highlights
8. Some focus icons.jpg

And you probably noticed the title background for these is different from normal ones, so stay tuned and we’ll talk about them and how you can change them yourself through modding.
9. TItle.jpg

Let us continue then. The JFT has 7 different branches: Airforce, Navy, Army, Civilian Production, Research, Military Production and, right in the middle, a political branch that will let you unlock institutions that improve and further customize your faction.
10. Political Branch.jpg
For example, in the Communist faction, after establishing the Northern Federation, the faction’s National Spirit improves, and then you get something I call Capstone Selectors.

11. Capstone Selector.jpg

When someone completes it, it will unlock 4 extra focuses at the end of the relevant branch. The first choice in the NPU is between the Army and Civilian Industry, and if we choose the Army one, 4 new focuses will appear at the end of the army branch, giving you an extra advantage on that area, and letting you adapt to the situation.
12. Army Capstone.jpg

After that you can upgrade your faction again, and then you get another capstone choice, this time between Research and military production. Every one of these factions has 4 different configurations, depending on what you need, and how involved you want to be with it.
13. Research Capstone.jpg

Before we finish, I want to show you what are those focuses before the one that lets you form the Joint Alliance. These are simple old shared focuses that all Nordics will have access to. They are meant to represent how they all helped each other in the period, while avoiding all out war with their neighbor’s aggressors. The best examples are Sweden, Norway and Denmark secretly sending volunteers and equipment to Finland to fend off the Soviet Union, and Sweden’s surreptitious support for Norwegian and Danish liberation against Germany. Of course with these focuses and decisions you’ll be able to go further than that and join them in their struggle, or even join their enemies and gain territory yourself.
14. shared tree.jpg

Let’s dive in.

Reaching Out to Our Neighbors starts the decision category, and from the get go gives the option to promote Nordic Unity, letting you improve their opinion of you, especially handy if you want to form the Joint Faction with the AI.
15. Promote Nordic Unity.jpg

Then you can go for Industrial Cooperation, which unlocks decisions to improve your economy and the economy of a neighbor in equal terms, if you go the other route, Leverage Nordic Investments, you can invest in other Nordics and ask them to invest in your, always with better terms for the initiator, but they’ll still get something out of it.

16. Invest Decision.jpg

Mutual Guarantees is… Well… Mutual Guarantees. But Strengthen Ties is another useful one if you want to do the Joint Focus Tree, it not only makes your countries like each other more, but you’ll trade some party popularity, so if you’re communist, and they’re democratic, they will get some communism, and you’ll get some democracy, as a treat.
17. Strengthen Ties.jpg

It concludes in the focus to form the alliance, but I want to draw your attention to the focuses on the sides. One has the name of the expansion (Mostly) and the other one is the Nordic March. They both let you send volunteers more easily and give you bonuses for combat but their goals are very different.
18. support focuses.jpg

The TAAT focus unlocks several decisions that let you expand volunteer capacity, make it easier to send lend lease and even join the war, provided you’ve been involved in it enough participation in it. Every time you or any other Nordic helps them, the conflict scale increases, and the higher it is, the more likely your participation will go up, until your neighbor’s enemy sees you as a threat and attacks you too! It will be a balancing act for you to help your neighbors and not get invaded in the process.
19. support decisions.jpg

And that’s it! This is how we plan to make the nations in this expansion work together more than ever, and introduce a new vessel for cool alt history. Obviously there’s tons more details that I didn’t include, but you can always ask me and I’ll try to answer where and when possible. Don’t forget to stay tuned for the next one of these, where Arheo will show you some diverse cool things!

• 57Like
  • 20Love
Reactions:
Reserved for Developer Replies

CarloPDX's replies
Oh wow equestria at war riverland reference
I don't know what you're talking about tbh?
Will the joint focus mechanic be DLC locked or will it be part of the patch? As in, will it be available to modders?
It will be available to modders. And for now at least, the mechanic itself is not DLC locked, but this focus tree requires Arms Against Tyranny
Glad to see some coop support! Can you share any more about what the requirements are to access these joint focus trees? Will every nation need to be a player to access it?
In this case it will be that you are not a puppet of another country, and having the right ideologies for each one. The AI will be able to join if they so wish, as always depending on conditions.
This looks awesome! Haven't finished reading yet but would this new system that allows for joint/simultaneous focus perhaps be useable (by PDX, Modders, or otherwise) to allow two players to play one country in diverging paths?

Namely I've long wanted a way to play the Spanish Civil War as a 1v1 in multiplayer, and this style of joint focuses might allow for that (if I understand how it works correctly)
Under the hood, there's nothing stopping you from doing that, the focuses simply have a trigger that gets evaluated to check which countries are valid as part of the joint tree. In theory you could make a Joint Focus Tree accessible to all the countries in the world for example. Of course how we use it in the future will depend on the content we make, but modders can do all kinds of new things with it
I don't play multiplayer, but I can see how such users might enjoy it, since co-op multiplayer is more popular than competitive.

Please, please, please can we have a game rule to turn this on/off separately from the other AAT content? Or maybe allow us a choice between the AI being permitted:
  • Any Joint Nordic Faction
  • Nordic Council only
  • Nordic People's Union only
  • Kalmar Union only
  • No Nordic faction
Because I can see people wanting to have a slightly ahistorical game (allowing the historical countries to take focuses in a different order or The Netherlands to turn Fascist) without suddenly having a Scandinavian superpower appear.

And I suspect it will be a superpower: having national army/navy/air force bonuses and factional ones is surely going to make insane modifier stacking possible. I suspect that will be popular in multiplayer.

A small punctuation suggestion: A Nordic People's Union is a union of all the Nordic people. I understand why it was chosen: it is a reference to Communist states with sames such as the People's Republic of Albania. But that means a republic controlled by the Albanian people. In this case, there will still be three countries in this faction, and therefore three peoples. So it should be called the Nordic Peoples' Union.

You have explained To Arms against Tyranny. What does the Nordic March NF do, please?
Right now, I have it so the AI will never start the Joint Focus tree. They can accept if you invite them, but they won't start it. This is because this is primarily for multiplayer, and otherwise, it should start only by player initiative.

Regarding the communist faction name, it's called the Northern People's Union, just as a reference of their geographical location and being a united people based on that.

Nordic March will have similar decisions, but helping the invader instead of the Nordic
Joint Focus will change name and img by ideology but it will still give same effects right?
and what will happen if you change ideology or become puppet when you're in the faction?
last it need you and your friend in same ideology or not?
The "Institution" focuses in the middle will give different effects since they upgrade the faction's Dynamic Modifiers based on what the faction specializes in, the rest will do the same effects, at least for now.

If you change ideology or become puppeted you will lose access to the tree and whatever NS you gained from it but you keep any factories, techs or manpower, etc you've gained

Yes, they need to be the same ideology, except for the Kalmar League, you can JOIN it as fascist but you can't start it
Maybe it's only me, but that 2nd shared focus tree raises some question:

1. Do I understand correctly that everyone can only do one focus at a time? Normal focus tree *or* joined?
2. What happens if another country is already doing a focus in the shared tree? Does the UI tell me, does it block the focus for me...or can I "join" them in doing it, speeding up the process?
3. Given that often countries finish focii the same day, how fast/aggressive does the AI make a choice in the shared tree? Mainly asking because those trees do seem to include exclusive focii...and I assume the rule here is that who first comes decides, correctly?

---

And the I stumbled over a strange graphic mixture in the very first pic, when I enlarged it as far as possible...

View attachment 1008283
1. Yes, you can only do one at a time so you will need to choose what's best for the moment. I expect this to be specially useful late game.

2. You can see the flag of a country doing a Joint Focus, and you cannot select it, or any focus that requires it until it's completed, but you can start any other Joint Focus as long as nobody is working on that one either.

3. AI will not touch mutually exclusive focuses
Wow the new icons look so great !

Maybe this question will be answered in the future DD about modding but I would like to know how the game will determine which countries have access to a given JFT. Do they need to be part of a specific faction ? Is it a closed list of countries ? Or are the conditions more scriptable (eg being located on a certain continent, having a specific ideology or having a specific National Idea) ?
It's a trigger, whatever countries meet that trigger will have access to it. Of course you'll still need to have a shared focus at the start, but other than that, you could just make every single country part of the JFT if you want.
Maybe it's only me, but that 2nd shared focus tree raises some question:

1. Do I understand correctly that everyone can only do one focus at a time? Normal focus tree *or* joined?
2. What happens if another country is already doing a focus in the shared tree? Does the UI tell me, does it block the focus for me...or can I "join" them in doing it, speeding up the process?
3. Given that often countries finish focii the same day, how fast/aggressive does the AI make a choice in the shared tree? Mainly asking because those trees do seem to include exclusive focii...and I assume the rule here is that who first comes decides, correctly?

---

And the I stumbled over a strange graphic mixture in the very first pic, when I enlarged it as far as possible...

View attachment 1008283
Oh and the picture was just me trying to show all trees kinda overlapping each other, it doesn't look as good or obvious as I hoped lol
The modding diary is always my most anticipated due to my modderness. Though, the release of NSB was exciting when the patchnotes also included a whole heap of modding features not even discussed in the modding diary!
It will arrive in not to long, but still more features to show <3
Is it possible that such focus sharing contents will be added outside of Nordic countries in the long-run? for example, Warlords in China.
This is a new tool in our arsenal, and if the content makes sense, we might use it in the future
Katten any word on scripted loc being fixed for advisor descs? :eyes:
Every time someone mentions scripted loc for advisor descriptions we lower the prio in the Jira ticket :p
Could two Joint Focus Trees be active at once? For example if both Norway and Denmark go monarchist, but Sweden and Finland stay democratic, could both sides access there respective JFTs?
In its current implementation, no. There can only be one instance of each Joint Focus Tree, otherwise the code and scripting under the hood would get too complicated. You can however have as many different joint focus trees actives as far as I'm aware (If there was more than one JFT).

C0RAX's replies
Grahhhhh! We need to know how to mod these before release so there can be day one mods!!!
there will be a future modding dev diary with details on the new scripting syntax.

Reactions:
Will we get a general trait rework someday?

I've noticed that certain generals who are historically bad like kulik and Sebastiano Visconti Prasca are reasonably good at the game thanks to the inflexible strategist trait, while historically good generals like fedor von bock aren't that good because of the harsh leader trait.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Will the joint focus mechanic be DLC locked or will it be part of the patch? As in, will it be available to modders?
It will be available to modders. And for now at least, the mechanic itself is not DLC locked, but this focus tree requires Arms Against Tyranny

• 14Like
Reactions:
as you mention about South American China and Baltic state have same situation on geological map if that means they receive this type of extra decision trees in upcoming patch ?

• 6Like
Reactions:
I don't know what you're talking about tbh?
Equestria at War's River Coalition (a faction) has a shared focus tree, which everyone has access to. It works pretty much exactly like this.

Federation.png

However, it's very cool to see a way of implementing it better! Right now it uses a bunch of bypasses and checks on allied nations.

• 8Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Glad to see some coop support! Can you share any more about what the requirements are to access these joint focus trees? Will every nation need to be a player to access it?
In this case it will be that you are not a puppet of another country, and having the right ideologies for each one. The AI will be able to join if they so wish, as always depending on conditions.

Reactions:
This looks awesome! Haven't finished reading yet but would this new system that allows for joint/simultaneous focus perhaps be useable (by PDX, Modders, or otherwise) to allow two players to play one country in diverging paths?

Namely I've long wanted a way to play the Spanish Civil War as a 1v1 in multiplayer, and this style of joint focuses might allow for that (if I understand how it works correctly)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hey folks, I really am enjoying these nordic updates for the new DLC, as well as all of the new modding goodies we've seen so far.

I'm wondering there is any chance you have seen this? I posted it a while ago, and would really appreciate a reply. I'm a dev on the Kaiserreich mod.
Basically scripted localisation does not work for advisor descriptions, despite it working completely fine for national spirit descs.
Any chance you could make it so it works for advisor descs too please?

• 1Like
Reactions:

Under the hood, there's nothing stopping you from doing that, the focuses simply have a trigger that gets evaluated to check which countries are valid as part of the joint tree. In theory you could make a Joint Focus Tree accessible to all the countries in the world for example. Of course how we use it in the future will depend on the content we make, but modders can do all kinds of new things with it

Reactions:
I don't play multiplayer, but I can see how such users might enjoy it, since co-op multiplayer is more popular than competitive.

Please, please, please can we have a game rule to turn this on/off separately from the other AAT content? Or maybe allow us a choice between the AI being permitted:
  • Any Joint Nordic Faction
  • Nordic Council only
  • Nordic People's Union only
  • Kalmar Union only
  • No Nordic faction
Because I can see people wanting to have a slightly ahistorical game (allowing the historical countries to take focuses in a different order or The Netherlands to turn Fascist) without suddenly having a Scandinavian superpower appear.

And I suspect it will be a superpower: having national army/navy/air force bonuses and factional ones is surely going to make insane modifier stacking possible. I suspect that will be popular in multiplayer.

A small punctuation suggestion: A Nordic People's Union is a union of all the Nordic people. I understand why it was chosen: it is a reference to Communist states with sames such as the People's Republic of Albania. But that means a republic controlled by the Albanian people. In this case, there will still be three countries in this faction, and therefore three peoples. So it should be called the Nordic Peoples' Union.

One has the name of the expansion (Mostly) and the other one is the Nordic March. They both let you send volunteers more easily and give you bonuses for combat but their goals are very different.
You have explained To Arms against Tyranny. What does the Nordic March NF do, please?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Joint Focus will change name and img by ideology but it will still give same effects right?
and what will happen if you change ideology or become puppet when you're in the faction?
last it need you and your friend in same ideology or not?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wow the new icons look so great !

Maybe this question will be answered in the future DD about modding but I would like to know how the game will determine which countries have access to a given JFT. Do they need to be part of a specific faction ? Is it a closed list of countries ? Or are the conditions more scriptable (eg being located on a certain continent, having a specific ideology or having a specific National Idea) ?

• 3Like
Reactions: