• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #93 - Venetian Guile

Dev Diary #93 - Venetian Guile

Hello there!

We’re closing in on the end of July, and we are on to the fourth of the five Dev Diaries we are doing over summer. For this week, we are going to take a look at three of the five Special Crusades we are doing for Holy Fury. First of we are going to take a look at the reworked Shepherds’ Crusade, then on to the Children’s Crusade some of you might have seen in the PDXCon stream, and then finally to the Fourth Crusade events.

As always, keep in mind that things might be changed before the release of Holy Fury. For the Shepherds’ Crusade to be enabled you will have to own Sons of Abraham, and for the two other you will need the Holy Fury DLC.

Clipboard01.png

The Shepherds’ Crusade has been broken for quite a while, so we have ripped out the old events entirely, and rewritten the whole chain. With Holy Fury, a Shepherds’ Crusade has a chance to start a couple of years after a failed normal Crusade. It will start somewhere in Catholic Europe, and will usually target either a Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula, or Jerusalem.

As the Shepherds’ Crusade army moves across the map towards its location, it will start picking up soldiers along the way, potentially getting into conflict with the local lords, trying to kick out the Jews, or ask local Lords for aid in their Crusade.

Who knows, once in a blue moon they might actually manage to win!

Clipboard02.png

The Children’s Crusade is a special one-time event chain that can happen at any point after the Pope has announced the need to reclaim the Holy Land.

If Jerusalem is held by infidels, a landless child in Europe might decide to pick up arms and start his own little Crusade, gathering fellow Catholics and traveling all the way to the Holy Land.

image3.jpg

The Children’s Crusade will move from court to court, demanding troops and resources from local rulers, and gathering zealous commanders and disgruntled underage courtiers along the way.

As a ruler hosting the Children’s Crusade, you will be able to support or hinder their efforts, increasing the amount of troops and morale that they will receive once they reach Jerusalem, forcing their travel to a premature end, or, if you are feeling particularly virtuous, deciding to become their sponsor.

image1.jpg

Becoming a sponsor allows a ruler to follow this special Crusade more closely, to invest in it on multiple occasions during its travel, and actively join the Children as allies in the war against the infidels if they manage to reach the Holy Land.

image2.jpg

Once the Children reach their target, they will spawn an army whose strength, size and composition will change depending on how their travel went and declare war to the current holder of Jerusalem. In the unlikely chance that they succeed, the leader of the Crusade will take over, and convert and vassalize all the rulers in the area.

Clipboard02.png

As some of you saw, one of our pictures for the Steam page for Holy Fury, was the Crusade for Orthodox Thrace. In other words, a set of Fourth Crusade events. These events have a chance to happen at every Crusade, if the Byzantine Empire is alive and doing well, holding the core lands of Constantinople.

A set of narrative events will happen, where a claimant for the Byzantine Throne will leave the court of the Emperor, and find a Catholic Merchant Lord to support their claims. With enough gold and the potential for plunder ahead, the Catholics will be swayed to change the course for Constantinople.

Clipboard01.png

If the Catholics could come around, and actually win the Crusade against the Byzantines, there will not be a normal distribution of titles, but rather a special Fourth Crusade one.

First of, the Byzantine Empire will be no more. The old Emperor will relocate to any land outside of Thrace, if they had any, and get a temporary titular Empire title. The winner of the Crusade will receive the Latin Empire, taking the lands of Thrace, and a special bloodline.

Clipboard03.png

Clipboard04.png

The old direct vassals of the Byzantine Empire will be freed. Any ruler of Trebizond might be given the Kingdom of Trebizond title, and there might also be another ruler taking up the King tier title, to simulate the Despotate of Epirus.

After the fall of the old Empire, a new decision will open up for Christians of the Byzantine Culture group, to restore the old Byzantine Empire. If you hold all of the core lands around Constantinople, and have a lot of prestige, you can restore the Empire and start recreating the Byzantium of old. Well… At least if you can remove those pesky Latins from the rightful Greek lands of Thrace.

Clipboard05.png

And of course, rules has been added for all the different kind of Crusades, so people are free to enable or disable them as they want.

Clipboard01.png

That was all for this week! I hope you enjoyed reading about the rise and fall of- Wait… That’s wrong. The fall and rise of Byzantium, there we go!

Next week we will be talking about the Northern Crusade, and the Reconquista of Iberia. So I hope I’ll see of you for the final rogue Dev Diary of the summer!

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Greece losing a bit part of the land.
Andalusia destroyable by decision.
England now the biggest kingdom?
France is rather big too

Greece losing a bit part of the land.
Andalusia destroyable by decision.
England now the biggest kingdom?
Well England and Sweden are two huge kingdoms you can't cut down to size atleast not in the 1066+ start dates because they have been unitary kingdoms for like forever. That said Perhaps England should have fairly few holdings like Sweden does.

Well England and Sweden are two huge kingdoms you can't cut down to size atleast not in the 1066+ start dates because they have been unitary kingdoms for like forever. That said Perhaps England should have fairly few holdings like Sweden does.
England should be a lot weaker than it is in game. In real life England wasn't very powerful until after CK2s end date. It certainly couldn't match medieval powerhouses like France. But there are lots of areas that have more holdings than they should for gameplay reasons, Ireland, Arabia, Northern Germany, etc...

England should be a lot weaker than it is in game. In real life England wasn't very powerful until after CK2s end date. It certainly couldn't match medieval powerhouses like France. But there are lots of areas that have more holdings than they should for gameplay reasons, Ireland, Arabia, Northern Germany, etc...
Actually England was a backwater until way after the ck2 era. Francis Bacon is the one who starts to turn it around or maybe Elizabeth I (Or the prolonged period of relative peace under Elizabeth I and James I, in a time when the rest of Europe was in flames) In the ck2 end it's the hundred years war and the English kings were more powerful as Dukes in France than as kings in England.

The problems isn't really these areas being over represented but the more populous one being under represented.

Last edited:
So if the Byzantine Empire is retaken by a crusade and the Latin Empire is formed, wouldn't it be entirely awesome if the schism could be mended by a Catholic? If succesful this would convert all Orthodox characters into Catholic ones, just like the Byzantine mending of the schism but vice versa.

I've always liked the idea of a Latin mending of the schism, since CK2 revolves a lot around the western European world and therefore Catholics.

Besides, mending the schism from a catholic point of view would make Catholism a formidable bastion against the new pagan reformation mechanics.

Looking forward Iberian Ire DD.

And I forgot germany after 1066.
Could England be 2 or 3 kingdoms that can be united/created by decision like the kingdom of leon?

Could England be 2 or 3 kingdoms that can be united/created by decision like the kingdom of leon?
But Germany has no buiness being a united kingdom after the HRE is founded. Meanwhile England really do. Sure englad could be broken up but it's not really correct after 1066.

Just use these buttons in menu. You can start in any day in years 1066-1366.

hC9WCKH.jpg

Unless they're scripted events, PDX hasn't put in wars at any of the dates. So you can pick a date where the 1st Crusade hasn't started yet, and the next day the Crusade is over and the Kingdom of Jerusalem is already formed.

I want to know if there is going to be a new date where the scripted war has already started, like in 1066 where William has already declared war on England, or in 867 where there are the wars of the sons of Ragnar, or the Maygars against Bulgaria, etc.

England proper in the south and Northumbria/Cumbria in the north (Including Galloway and Lothian)?

My question is: will these new provinces mean new characters and title history, or is it purely a geographical change?

Actually England was a backwater until way after the ck2 era. Francis Bacon is the one who starts to turn it around or maybe Elizabeth I (Or the prolonged period of relative peace under Elizabeth I and James I, in a time when the rest of Europe was in flames) In the ck2 end it's the hundred years war and the English kings were more powerful as Dukes in France than as kings in England.

The problems isn't really these areas being over represented but the more populous one being under represented.

I have to disagree. Edward I was an internationally respected king, even being called in to moderate the dispute over the crown of Scotland (which he took advantage of) and tried to mediate the conflict between the Papacy, Sicily and Aragon. And there's the Hundred Years War which estabalished England as a military power. And I wouldn't call the Angevin Empire under Henry II a "backwater" considering that Henry II held all of England and TWO THIRDS of France. (Normandy, Anjou, and the Aquitane in it's entirety) In fact I'd call France the backwater until Phillip Augustus chipped away at the Angevin Empire starting with John Lackland.

France was very lucky to have Phillip Augustus appear as he did..any lesser king would have been overwhelmed by the likes of Henry II and Richard the Lion-Heart.

And I wouldn't call the Angevin Empire under Henry II a "backwater" considering that Henry II held all of England and TWO THIRDS of France. (Normandy, Anjou, and the Aquitane in it's entirety) In fact I'd call France the backwater until Phillip Augustus chipped away at the Angevin Empire starting with John Lackland.
England was a poor muddy little backwater. France was a medieval superpower with a massive population and incredible amounts of wealth thanks to its farmland.

Also the English kings controlling a bunch of France has more to do with them comong from France than England being powerful. The Hundred Years war wasn't between England and France. It was a French civil war where one of the sides included the English king and his private army.

But as said above the problem isn't with poor and underpopulated areas being overrepsented (except in a few cases like Ireland and Arabia) its the fact that the game considers a castle controlling a mountainy patch of land in Norway the same as one in Italy controlling rich farmland and market towns in terms of income and levies.

Last edited:
So if the Byzantine Empire is retaken by a crusade and the Latin Empire is formed, wouldn't it be entirely awesome if the schism could be mended by a Catholic? If succesful this would convert all Orthodox characters into Catholic ones, just like the Byzantine mending of the schism but vice versa.

I've always liked the idea of a Latin mending of the schism, since CK2 revolves a lot around the western European world and therefore Catholics.

Besides, mending the schism from a catholic point of view would make Catholism a formidable bastion against the new pagan reformation mechanics.
Yeah but that’s way too easy, say a fourth crusade type event hits 1333 Byzantium bam day one schism over, Byzantium destroyed. Why not just give Catholics the option to reunite it the way orthodoxs do. The fall of papal Rome isn’t enough to instantly convert the Catholics in England why would the fall of Byzantium make the Russians convert.

I have to disagree. Edward I was an internationally respected king, even being called in to moderate the dispute over the crown of Scotland (which he took advantage of) and tried to mediate the conflict between the Papacy, Sicily and Aragon. And there's the Hundred Years War which estabalished England as a military power. And I wouldn't call the Angevin Empire under Henry II a "backwater" considering that Henry II held all of England and TWO THIRDS of France. (Normandy, Anjou, and the Aquitane in it's entirety) In fact I'd call France the backwater until Phillip Augustus chipped away at the Angevin Empire starting with John Lackland.

France was very lucky to have Phillip Augustus appear as he did..any lesser king would have been overwhelmed by the likes of Henry II and Richard the Lion-Heart.
The Angevin empire was an empire because it held land in France, England was a backwater, Scotland was an even bigger backwater, heck Scotland was barely that, more like a frontier with a barely existing monarchy. The hundred years war was a civil war in France where one of the participants happened to be king of a small rain-soaked island no one cared about in addition to being a contender for the french throne. Notice that when the support in France for the English kings start to wane and the french get their act together and start acting like a unified kingdom again the British are expelled from french soil with startling speed.

England was a poor muddy little backwater. France was a medieval superpower with a massive population and incredible amounts of wealth thanks to its farmland.

Also the English kings controlling a bunch of France has more to do with them comong from France than England being powerful. The Hundred Years war wasn't between England and France. It was a French civil war where one of the sides included the English king and his private army.

But as said above the problem isn't with poor and underpopulated areas being overrepsented (except in a few cases like Ireland and Arabia) its the fact that the game considers a castle controlling a mountainy patch of land in Norway the same as one in Italy controlling rich farmland and market towns in terms of income and levies.

The Angevin empire was an empire because it held land in France, England was a backwater, Scotland was an even bigger backwater, heck Scotland was barely that, more like a frontier with a barely existing monarchy. The hundred years war was a civil war in France where one of the participants happened to be king of a small rain-soaked island no one cared about in addition to being a contender for the french throne. Notice that when the support in France for the English kings start to wane and the french get their act together and start acting like a unified kingdom again the British are expelled from french soil with startling speed.

The Armagnac-Burgundian civil war started in 1407 as a result of the murder of Louis of Orleans that's roughly 70 years after the traditional 1337 start of the Hundred Years War. For all their wealth and farmland, France's royal authority was remarkably weak and allowed powerful dukes to carry out private wars as the Armagnacs and Burgundians did. By the same token the weak royal authority also meant that the French king wasn't able to effectively collect taxes to foot the cost of the war until the emergence Charles V and Charles VII Charles VII would be the one responsible for bringing back Burgundy into the fold and eventually crush their ducal power.

The English had a distinct advantage in that their royal authority was much stronger in England than it was for the French King did in France. Plus the emergence of the longbow (which Edward I learned from painful experience in his Welsh wars) gave the English military superiority over the French knights until the emergence of cannon. And contrary to your statement, the English wasn't evicted with startling speed...the fact that England managed to hang on after the death of Henry V in 1422 until 1453 largely due to the efforts of the Duke of Bedford along with a collapse of royal authority in England that would eventually lead to the Wars of the Roses (it's those *darn* "overmighty lords" again)

I'd suggest Jonathan Sumption's seminal work on the Hundred Years War as a source..it IS the definite work on that period even though I've read Desmond, Allmand, Perroy and a few other's treatments of the war but it's Sumption's work that should be considered THE definite work on that subject. Perroy is pretty pro-French in it's bias while Allmand is quite pro-English. A warning...Sumption's work is five volumes long!

The Armagnac-Burgundian civil war started in 1407 as a result of the murder of Louis of Orleans that's roughly 70 years after the traditional 1337 start of the Hundred Years War. For all their wealth and farmland, France's royal authority was remarkably weak and allowed powerful dukes to carry out private wars as the Armagnacs and Burgundians did. By the same token the weak royal authority also meant that the French king wasn't able to effectively collect taxes to foot the cost of the war until the emergence Charles V and Charles VII Charles VII would be the one responsible for bringing back Burgundy into the fold and eventually crush their ducal power.

The English had a distinct advantage in that their royal authority was much stronger in England than it was for the French King did in France. Plus the emergence of the longbow (which Edward I learned from painful experience in his Welsh wars) gave the English military superiority over the French knights until the emergence of cannon. And contrary to your statement, the English wasn't evicted with startling speed...the fact that England managed to hang on after the death of Henry V in 1422 until 1453 largely due to the efforts of the Duke of Bedford along with a collapse of royal authority in England that would eventually lead to the Wars of the Roses (it's those *darn* "overmighty lords" again)

I'd suggest Jonathan Sumption's seminal work on the Hundred Years War as a source..it IS the definite work on that period even though I've read Desmond, Allmand, Perroy and a few other's treatments of the war but it's Sumption's work that should be considered THE definite work on that subject. Perroy is pretty pro-French in it's bias while Allmand is quite pro-English. A warning...Sumption's work is five volumes long!
First of again the reason the english could do as well as they did in the hundred years war was their holdings in France not their holdings in England and also the fractured nature of their enemies. And you overestimate the impact of the longbow. Yes it was part of the victory at agincort but not the only factor. There was also the uphill charge the muddy ground and the lack of strategy on the French side. All these effect helped boost the longbow.
And it was never used to such a devestating again after that.

And it was startling speed because the english went from holding nearly all of France to holding mere slivers on the coast in a a relative short time time after having fought so many wars there for more than a century.

As other have pointed out this wasn't a war between England and France it was a French civil war. There wasn't even a claimant the French could agree on until half way though he war.
As such you can't justify England high holding numbers by their success against France because that's not where England's strength lay. It may in them being united while their enemy fractured and a lot of "their enemy" siding with them.

Last edited:
England proper in the south and Northumbria/Cumbria in the north (Including Galloway and Lothian)?

Nah, the usual way of making someone more or less powerful is to add/delete counties from the du jure kingdom. Removing 3-4 counties from England would go a long way to nerfing them.

That being said, I usually don't see England as a problem unless it goes heathen/heretic (usually in the hands of the player). They'll be able to steamroll Scotland/Ireland regardless, and they don't seem to be a threat to the continental powers. Just don't see it as that big of a deal.

Dandalo strikes again!