• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #90 - Splendid Scandinavia

As most of the team enjoys the summer, I thought I’d try to write a couple of smaller rogue Dev Diaries to get us through the summer. I will mostly discuss smaller additions, rather than the big sweeping features in these Diaries.

For the first one, it seems the vikings have pillaged a cartographer and found some more defined maps of their own homes, of all things.

We will start with the most important of the viking Kingdoms, Norway. What is that? What do you mean Norway stopped being a Kingdom in the late Middle Ages? Sounds like Swedish and Danish propaganda to me, they are just jealous of our mountainous glory.

Clipboard01.png

The previous map of Norway always had certain issues with the western coast being quite the slog to move through, and the Kingdom feeling split by the mountain range. With a bit more definition to it, as well as a way to move between the two parts, we have found the region to be a lot more interesting of a place to hang out. In mainland Norway, 6 New Provinces and 2 New Duchies have been added.

Clipboard02.png

Far to the north-west, Iceland has been updated a little bit as well. We have increased the province count from 2 to 4, though knowing that Iceland was far from the most populated of places, we have made sure that they haven’t gotten too strong.

Clipboard03.png

In Sweden, we have increased the definition of southern Sweden somewhat, breaking up some of the provinces to try to show the relevance of the Geatish areas. This should hopefully help somewhat in rivaling the powerhouse of Uppland. 6 New Provinces and 1 New Duchy have been added in Sweden.

Clipboard04.png

And finally, in Denmark we have new pathway across the islands and added Lolland as its own island. Both Jylland and Holstein has been split up and reorganised somewhat, to increase the definition of these areas and show their relevance in the era. In all, there has been 5 New Provinces added and 2 New Duchies.

We hope these changes to Scandinavia will be an interesting addition to all of the updates made to Pagans in Holy Fury, and make certain parts of the region a better experience. Next week, we will take a look down south, towards the changes around the Alps.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Oh this is great! There are so many previously landless dynasties that now can make the Scandinavian internal politics way more interesting. Not to mention Iceland and the possibility to model the Age of the Sturlungs. Welcome changes!

Thanks for that DD! I really hate periods where no DD is coming out, so maybe keep it up? I'm just so addicted to your games and DD that every day of the week I'm waiting for different DD, when it does not come out I feel bad :(

While this will affect my beloved Icelands 'two bald men fighting over a comb' scenario, it will certainly add some more chaos to the best tiny corner of a huge map ever.

Do my eyes deceive me or am I seeing some hints of a change to the Pomerania Saxony region given the 769 start?

Is Gotland now a dejure duchy ?

Gotland has indeed been turned into a DeJure Duchy, and .. Well .. As Holstein and Mecklenburg has been reorganised slightly, we added Duchy of Rügen as well, based on the Principality of Rügen :D There is also some minor changes around the Bremen region :eek:

While this will affect my beloved Icelands 'two bald men fighting over a comb' scenario, it will certainly add some more chaos to the best tiny corner of a huge map ever.

I guess it would be "four bald men fighting over a comb" these days? :eek:

Last edited:
Forget how the old saying goes - ANY news is good news !

Nice to see that Iceland is getting the Sardinian treatment - more provinces equals more fun !

Note that this is the last DevDiary before vacations start. Until they are over we will not post any diaries, or post them very sporadically. We will resume the normal schedule on the 10th of August.
As most of the team enjoys the summer, I thought I’d try to write a couple of smaller rogue Dev Diaries to get us through the summer. I will mostly discuss smaller additions, rather than the big sweeping features in these Diaries.

When the cat's away, the mice will play :) Thanks for helping us through the summer ;)

Looking at all these beautiful map improvements, I have great hopes for an Iberian and North African update!

Good to see updates to the map. I am curious if the Germanic holy sites are moved at all?

The Norwegian one (Temple of Mære) has been moved from Naumadal to Nidaros. As I moved Nidaros and Naumadal further north, to fix the borders of these two provinces, it made sense to move Mære to Nidaros as that is the province best fitting.

Next week, we will take a look down south, towards the changes around the Alps.

Alps? There are no pagans there in within CK2 timeline, if I am not mistaken.
But nevermind, after all Catholic is also a main part of Holy Fury.

(By the way, I am truly looking forward to new provinces in West Africa)

Well, I read in wikipedia that Norse didn't settle in Iceland until A.D. 874, before that year there were only Irish monks there. So will the history of Iceland be fixed to make it more "historical" ?