• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #44 - Battles

16_9 (9).jpg

Ave and welcome to another Dev Diary! Today I will be talking about how Battles work and what their consequences are. If you haven't already, I suggest you first read through the dev diary on Fronts and get acquainted with the concepts explained there.

Let's start off with a somewhat updated version of the Front panel. Do note that this is all still very much WIP and not all values are hooked in, balanced or polished. For example at the moment there are a lot more deaths in battles than there should be.

Who could’ve seen this war coming?

DD44 01.png

In order for a battle to happen one side must have at least one General with an Advance order. Once this happens an advancement meter will slowly start to fill up and once it’s full a new battle will be launched. Various factors can increase or decrease the time it takes.

When the battle is created a sequence of actions unfolds before the fighting begins. All of these are in script and can be tweaked by mods as desired.
  • The attacker picks their leading General
  • The defender picks their leading General
  • The battle province is determined along the frontline
  • The attacker determines the number of units they can bring
  • The defender determines the number of units they can bring
  • Both sides selects their units
While there can be several Generals on the Front, only one is selected for each side in a Battle. They are not limited to selecting their own units and so may borrow additional ones from other Generals or the local Garrisons.

In addition each side randomizes a Battle Condition which provides bonuses (or penalties) to their units similar to Combat Tactics in Hearts of Iron 4. Unlike HOI4 though these are fixed for the duration of the battle. For example a General with the Engineer trait has a higher chance of selecting the “Dug In” Battle Condition which provides defensive modifiers.

Königgrätz anyone?
DD44 02.png

Now the shooting (and dying) finally starts! The battle takes place over a number of rounds and will continue until one side is either wiped out or retreats. The round sequence is roughly as follows:
  • Each side determines how many fighting-capable men it still has
  • Each side inflicts casualties on the other side
  • Each side attempts to recover wounded casualties
  • Each side also suffers morale damage according to casualties
  • If one side is wiped or retreats, the battle ends

Units have two primary combat values: Offense is used when attacking and Defense is used when defending. It is wise to plan ahead and specialize your armies for the war you are planning to fight. There are of course a whole bunch of additional modifiers used in conjunction with battles.

Crack open the fortress of Liège!
DD44 03.png

Casualties are determined by both sheer numbers and the relative combat stats between the two sides. For example a numerically inferior force equipped with more modern weapons may still emerge victorious against a larger foe.

When a side takes casualties it is randomly distributed amongst its units with some caveats.
Each unit has a majority culture depending on the pops in its barracks and casualties are applied roughly in proportion to unit culture. So with 4 French/1 Flemish units fighting on the same side the French will take roughly 80% of the casualties.

Not all pops who take casualties will end up dead though. A portion of these may instead end up as Dependents of other pops. After a long bloody war a nation may thus end up with a large number of wounded war-veterans who need to be supported by the rest of the population. In the long term this may be a cause of unrest and financial strain on the economy.

Morale damage is inflicted in proportion to the casualties and will slowly recover over time outside of battles presuming the units are in good supply.

One step closer to Unification
DD44 04.png

After the battle is over two things will happen:

A number of provinces are Captured depending on how decisive the victory was, unit characteristics, Generals, etc. This will alter the frontline and the winner will occupy those provinces until retaken or the end of the war.
A victorious defender will only take back land that was previously lost to the enemy while a victorious attacker will push into enemy land and take control of more provinces owing to their aggressive posture.

Devastation is also inflicted on the State in which the battle was fought. Large, brutal battles waged with modern weaponry will increase the devastation caused. It reduces infrastructure and building throughput, increases mortality and causes emigration. These effects persist after the war and will take quite some time to recover.

That’s it for this week! Next week we switch over to the political battlefield and discuss Elections! *ducks back into the trenches*

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 237Like
  • 29Love
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
"All of these are in script and can be tweaked by mods as desired."
So... could a mod create a UI to allow a player to make some or all of these choices instead of having the AI do it hidden away from play view or input?
Why would you want to ruin battles by adding fiddly bits just for the sake of adding fiddly bits that don't actually add any gameplay value?

• 2Haha
Reactions:
"casualties are applied roughly in proportion to unit culture"

Shouldn't that possibly be effected by accepted culture/etc? Like, wasn't what position you had in the army and where you were placed on the battlefield often a big determiner of your likelyhood of survival? I don't know exactly how it effects things or what nuance to take, but it seems likely to me that it might not be a even split?

• 14Like
Reactions:
Interesting. But i think only me playing it will tell me if i really like it.
I'd love some visual representation of the battle though. The artillery on the border is nice, but maybe some small soldiers? (It would be a waste if you didn't show off the awesome uniforms of the period!)

• 11Like
Reactions:
While there can be several Generals on the Front, only one is selected for each side in a Battle. They are not limited to selecting their own units and so may borrow additional ones from other Generals or the local Garrisons.

[...]

Now the shooting (and dying) finally starts! The battle takes place over a number of rounds and will continue until one side is either wiped out or retreats. The round sequence is roughly as follows:
  • Each side determines how many fighting-capable men it still has
  • Each side inflicts casualties on the other side
  • Each side attempts to recover wounded casualties
  • Each side also suffers morale damage according to casualties
  • If one side is wiped or retreats, the battle ends
Is there a reinforcement phase possible?

If I understand correctly, the units are determined at the start of the battle, but during the battle can the General borrow additional units or other Generals join an ongoing battle?

How long can a battle last? At the start of the XX century with all the changes in warfare, battles could last for months.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Deaths should be about 1/3 those of wounded casualties, not the other way around! That's been the general ratio throughout most of the history of warfare unless you're in a last stand situation!

• 4Like
Reactions:
A few questions

1. Borrowing from local garrisons make sense, but how does borrowing from other generals along a front work? On the Fronts DD it was said that fronts weren't split except by natural barriers (oceans, non-involved nations, etc.).
    1. With the US Civil war example, does this mean my general in along the Mississippi can borrow troops from Virginia? Am I required to have infrastructure to connect provinces to facilitate this or do they teleport around the front? What happens if there are battles in short succession along the front, what criteria prevents/allows for barrowing troops.
  2. Its not super clear from the DD but what does a player do outside of selecting generals? Are players determining the amount of troops to bring, or is that the AI (general)?

Somewhat worried that this may be overly passive mechanic from a player perspective.
I think it means you're going to have one general for the whole Union and one general for the whole Confederacy which is...lackluster to say the least. Not surprising when all your land war related decisions are 'advance / defend' - don't tell me about production methods and technology, those are economic / technology parts of the game!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Are there any plans of adding some soldier models on the frontline? On the inactive parts just sitting and waiting for action, and around battles fighting and dying? Or we'll only see wall of fire spreading a flag one way or another?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why would you want to ruin battles by adding fiddly bits just for the sake of adding fiddly bits that don't actually add any gameplay value?
1. More moddablity = better.
2. “Why would you want to add more gameplay options to a game.”

Does the game need player control of battles? Who knows. But why would it being an option ‘ruin’ literally anything. How is something being optional for people that want it an impact to people that don’t care about it at all?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Is it true that there is no possibility to build forts? Especially the strategic building of fortresses would be a good way to combine the vision of a war mechanic based on macro and micro decisions with the gameplay loop of investing in buildings. Fortresses would have the function of slowing down the march of an enemy, but could be countered by investing in more expensive siege artillery. Siege battles where a smaller garrison could tie up a lot of the enemy's troops for potentially a long time would add a new aspect to warfare. Fortresses were an important aspect of warfare in the Victorian 3 period. From the siege of Belfort in the Franco-Prussian War to the forts around Verdun.

• 3Like
Reactions:
So cultural discrimination won't influence the proportion of casualties?
In some military systems,discriminated PoP soldiers or soldiers from unincoporated states may be used as cannon fodder more often.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Deaths should be about 1/3 those of wounded casualties, not the other way around! That's been the general ratio throughout most of the history of warfare unless you're in a last stand situation!

So you completely ignored how he said death values are WIP?
I think it means you're going to have one general for the whole Union and one general for the whole Confederacy which is...lackluster to say the least. Not surprising when all your land war related decisions are 'advance / defend' - don't tell me about production methods and technology, those are economic / technology parts of the game!

Now you're just making things up

• 2Like
Reactions:
A few questions

1. Borrowing from local garrisons make sense, but how does borrowing from other generals along a front work? On the Fronts DD it was said that fronts weren't split except by natural barriers (oceans, non-involved nations, etc.).
    1. With the US Civil war example, does this mean my general in along the Mississippi can borrow troops from Virginia? Am I required to have infrastructure to connect provinces to facilitate this or do they teleport around the front? What happens if there are battles in short succession along the front, what criteria prevents/allows for barrowing troops.
The issue is that in previous DDs it's already been made clear that the troops don't actually exist in any 1 location at all. So situations like what you're describing would certainly happen unless there's some sort of mechanic preventing certain troops from being borrowed after fighting a battle in a certain region (but then at that point you've just recreated unit locations).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Could you show the Details tab? What information is there?
Does it show devastation? Weapons used? Battle conditions?

Also, are these blue/red bars just decorative? I thought they are progress bars but they don't change on any of the screenshots (unless this isn't implemented yet?)

1651165907114.png

• 1Like
Reactions: