• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary 4 - Surviving Cold Waves By Stirling

Hey guys,

Last time Boian Spasov of Haemimont (Blizzard_Haemimont), Eternal Designer, Second of his Name and Protector of Game Mechanics, promised you guys a Dev Diary that will be… mysterious. And while that Dev Diary indeed is being crafted as we speak - we’d like to wet your appetite with one in-between. And this one is about Cold Waves, their consequences and how you can protect yourself. The game is called Surviving Mars, after all, not Takin’ A Sunday Stroll On Mars.

So class, please have a seat and let’s get started. This information may well save your life one day.

What can we expect when hit by a Cold Wave?

-owkOd734wDbFvQKuvTbIcq7wqCK_5WoWK7xZ0e_1GRS93TSpZ2CnlEUws89Tk_GxvwCszVUNMO721OP_WumjudXcwb4RUtKjLVtE6D4h2R0v5fkj9o6XLhbrO9Po5EYoSxpMBH3

While we don’t want to completely ‘spoil the surprise’ by talking in-depth about all of the disasters that could decimate your beautiful colony, you may safely assume that the environment on Mars is a harsh mistress. Sure, them rocks and that red sand may be looking pretty peaceful, beautiful even. But don’t be fooled. All of a sudden your Sensor Towers may be reporting an incoming Cold Wave that freezes everything in its path, turning the Red Planet white from extreme frost.

And what then?

LmL3d9atQAfgq-MGn_x-BOycO4LZHFpyTY1_3zm-CM-CsbNLL-D_A_LfpXD5AtbNG_D5yJczw-FOTMO2a7InmoH4SQeL-QEHBIuQUnsKPPfOtuWROcDLVPYMiUbqUbs775Hbw1oQ

Water storages will freeze, power consumption will skyrocket, and before you know it, your logistics will break down one building after the other. Worst of all - if a building stops working during a Cold Wave it will freeze solid, meaning that it can be repaired only when heated or after the cold wave is over. No water? Say goodbye to your crops. No power? Watch your Colonists freeze while your entire resource network shuts down, preventing the production of fuel, the extraction of metal and living on Mars altogether. Let it go far enough, and your Oxygen-producing Moxies might shut down. No water, no air and no power. You’re finished. Or well, your Colonists are at least.

The point is - a Disaster may be the catalyst that triggers a chain of events that end with critical failures jeopardizing your entire colony. And we don’t want that, do we?

So how do I protect myself?

jTdHQ7NrHTPV0lXDstGOavFi3YH_UTMOvUWL7EK0jWyZ9MMWu0QfbeH8RUtUIHqCXDWQ3E6I-Lt4iEqC9OWL4-USxDWZU7dD58V6WLa-mll326ZTGSvCbMl8UQdIpJp0cE3CQtIO

I wanted to begin this paragraph with the words ‘fear not’. However, that would be lying to you. You should be very afraid and prepare accordingly.

Regarding the Cold Wave, your issues will probably centre around two connected things: power shortage due to your generators not keeping up with the increased demand, and draining of batteries if not enough energy is stored. Running out of power is of course potentially deadly.

You can counter this by placing Subsurface Heaters close to your most important buildings and the hungriest clusters of power consumers. That will heat up the area around the machine, letting your primary power supply continue working at normal capacity. Be wary though - the Subsurface Heater needs a lot of water to function, and as we know, water is not a resource readily available on Mars. There is one other hitch in this plan - the Subsurface Heater has to be researched first and is not readily available at the start of the game, so you will have to survive at least the first few Cold Waves without it.

Without the handy heater option or extreme overproduction of power, prioritizing critical buildings is your best course of action. Be ready to shut down facilities that are non-vital to conserve for example power or water. Just beware - as mentioned before, any building that stops working for a while during a Cold Wave will freeze, thus becoming unavailable until the end of the disaster. Choose wisely depending on what you have stored and be careful to keep your most critical resources flowing.

You see where this is going. In order to be Surviving Mars, you’ll need to have contingency plans in place, build a sturdy infrastructure and be clever about your resources. And above all - always anticipate the worst.

Would you like to know more?

The next Dev Diary will again be written by Boian Spasov himself. It will hit pretty soon so keep an eye out. You could also sign-up at survivingmars.com if you haven’t already. If you do that you’ll receive exclusive news updates and of course a number of other goodies in-game. Be sure to check it out!

All the best,

Stirling (Sebastian Forsström - Product Marketing Manager for Surviving Mars, or as Candyalien said, last stream...the guy who is in charge of the money!)

Thanks for the acronym! :)

Surviving Mars is more hardcore. There is no game over, but there are consequences to you losing your colonists. Such as number of people willing to come to your colony from Earth dwindling :)

Yours for the cheap price of 10,000 mars bucks or 0.426 terran bucks

Thats good to hear. Will there be a hardcore mode? I assume there will be also a sandbox where you can turn off disasters etc?

Yours for the cheap price of 10,000 mars bucks or 0.426 terran bucks

Thats good to hear. Will there be a hardcore mode? I assume there will be also a sandbox where you can turn off disasters etc?

You will be able to set your own challenge rating by choosing Mission Sponsors, where to land and what kind of a Mission Commander you are.
So for example, you might choose an area which is completely flat and with an abundance of resources, or you can choose a rocky area with scarce resources, a mission sponsor with less perks, and an area with much higher chances of disasters hitting. These things will impact your difficulty rating massively.

how would you ever build one much less repair it when it "springs a leak".

In nearly 60 year of space travel, pressure vessel failure has caused a grand total of zero fatally dangerous problems. Even the Soyuz 11 problem was caused by valve failure, not by pressure vessel failure.

@AG_Wittmann
The construction of a polymer that stops radiation isn't some mysterious, mythical challenge. The primary requirements to stop radiation are hydrogen atoms and local magnetic fields. We aren't exactly talking exotic physics! And many martian designers think even that is unnecessary, the Mars Direct idea for example simply concluded that the level of radiation exposure was acceptable and didn't need any additional mitigation. The reason that modern space colonization ideas revolve around subsurface habitats isn't because that's the only way, it's because that's the way that seems to be most practical given our currently available technology.

Technology changes! If you told Apollo era engineers that you wanted a reusable, monocoque design for an interplanetary spacecraft, they would tell you it was wildly impractical. In the modern era, where aluminium-titanium alloys and carbon fiber are readily available, such designs are a matter of course. If you said 20 years ago that 3D printing should allow for a million dollar heavy rocket engine you would draw exactly the same sort of dismissive attitude that is on display here. Today, the plans to manufacture such engines are being criticized for their timidity!

My best guess for what is happening in the game is that they have developed a polymer with a high hydrogen content that is capable of sustaining a low level electric field without very much resistance. The low level field could produce the very localized magnetic charge that you need and the "waste" energy from this electricity would be used to heat the dome. I have about as much idea of how they manufacture this polymer as someone in the 1970s understands how to understand thin-film solar panels. And such a polymer is about as impossible as thin-film solar panels.

Excuse me but I don't understand, you are makin a colony on old Mars so you should be more prepared for the freeze. Even Anno 2205 on arctic maps has heat zones made by structures.
But don't quote me here, I need more info before saying anything else.

EDIT: It will have a casual mode for dumbs like myself?

In nearly 60 year of space travel, pressure vessel failure has caused a grand total of zero fatally dangerous problems. Even the Soyuz 11 problem was caused by valve failure, not by pressure vessel failure.

@AG_Wittmann
The construction of a polymer that stops radiation isn't some mysterious, mythical challenge. The primary requirements to stop radiation are hydrogen atoms and local magnetic fields. We aren't exactly talking exotic physics! And many martian designers think even that is unnecessary, the Mars Direct idea for example simply concluded that the level of radiation exposure was acceptable and didn't need any additional mitigation. The reason that modern space colonization ideas revolve around subsurface habitats isn't because that's the only way, it's because that's the way that seems to be most practical given our currently available technology.

Hello,

you can stop this radiation with a layer of water or soil, why waste precious energy for it?

Hello,

you can stop this radiation with a layer of water or soil, why waste precious energy for it?

If energy use (solar power) allows you to use tents and modular buildings instead of costly digging and underground supports (as well as a lot more planning where you can build) then it'd probably end up cheaper.

Water would be a lot more costly than energy anyway, and as for soil layers, you would probably be a fairly thick layer = lots of digging.

So if I wanted to shoot at something I'm now only a bit iffy about the strange weather phenomena. I'd sort of prefer it if it was just some kind of very long day/night cycle..?

(I think Mars has too little atmosphere to be able to get a random cold spell, but I might be wrong there too)

The average temperature on Mars is -55c so you better hope your colonies are well insulated from the start, with lows of around -130c at the poles in aphelion winter. Like on Earth, the expected temperature has got a lot more to do with whether you situated your colony on the equator or nearer to the poles and what season you are in (with the martian year being nearly 2 earth years long) and whether the planet is near perihelion or aphelion. All of these things are completely predictable. The size and duration of the dust storms that sometimes arise at perihelion are not, which would affect the amount of sunlight and surface temperature, but no worse than being at aphelion. So if you have a colony designed to endure aphelion winter at their location, nothing should really be worse than that.

Hello,

Because tunneling machines are heavy and cargo space is not unlimited.

The average temperature on Mars is -55c so you better hope your colonies are well insulated from the start

Well the air density is extremely low so they are.

You dont need a tunneling machine, you will need only a bulldozer or shovels, create some holes, put your building in this hole and use the excavated soil as coating above, like a sunken building. So you got your protective layer again the radiation and coldness.

This bubbles are so idiotic too, one hole and the whole breathable air will be gone.

G
You dont need a tunneling machine, you will need only a bulldozer or shovels, create some holes, put your building in this hole and use the excavated soil as coating above, like a sunken building. So you got your protective layer again the radiation and coldness.

This bubbles are so idiotic too, one hole and the whole breathable air will be gone.
Radiation protection only. The temp of the dirt is -55C, it doesn’t get magically warmer 10 m under, just like the earth. I would guess you need to bore straight down 100-200 meters to get noticeably warmer. Stable temp of the near surface dirt here on earth is closer to +12C, so we don’t even notice the energy needed to keep our house temp 8 degrees warmer.

So, you are right boring is not an option, you still need a constant heat source to keep the dirt near your underground building warm enough. Sun collectors or some nice radioactive heat sources will do just fine.

They already told us the bubbles were an artistic decision to evoke styles and dreams of mars colonies of the past... from a time before we realized that we need to be constantly under shielding if we were to do this thing for real. Granted polypropylene and water are two of the best radiation shields in existence (the hydrogen is what does the protecting), so I’m sure we can find a cold-tolerant, hydrogen-rich AND transparent plastic that could build a dome if we really wanted to.

Edit - And my post looks too much like a “yes but...” type post. My apologies. I am just being a stickler, pointing out you aren’t getting protection from the cold by going down. Depending on relative soil conduction and thermal radiation rates, you might be better off isolating from that wicked cold underneath.

That dome just might be a sphere. :)

Awesome, while I was composing my edit to this post on my phone, my computer YouTube page serves up Surviving Mars release date commercial. Awesome sauce!

Release date is March 15th, woohoo!

Last edited:
Why do Subsurface Heaters consume water? If you want to heat something, you need power.... And power hungry buildings should produce waste heat, keeping themselves heated as long as they run.

Why do Subsurface Heaters consume water? If you want to heat something, you need power.... And power hungry buildings should produce waste heat, keeping themselves heated as long as they run.

Exactly what happen in anno 2205: "Due to the extreme temperature the arctic population can only live next to buildings producing high amounts of heat, namely production buildings and power plants. As a result arctic settlements are always a mix of housing and industrial buildings. "

http://anno2205.wikia.com/wiki/Arctic

I will definitely try the game when it comes out and I am optimistic, but does anyone know how this would compare to something like Aven Colony? That game was okay but the management could be too much like Banished, and it felt way too repetitive and the story elements were flat (and the plot was pretty bad). I just like the idea of the devs trying all the competition to make sure the game avoids all the pitfall and that we have a winner.

It would be cool if you could unlock stuff if you played the game well at higher difficulty levels. For example:

Maybe you could unlock a special research skill that is only available when you build a successful colony for 100 Sols with a 200% difficulty bonus. Playing with at 250+% difficulty unlocks two unique research skills. Three skills if you play with a 300% difficulty level and unique looking vehicles or drones.

Last edited: