• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!

I know you probably want more info about the upcoming expansion, but we’ll have to keep a lid on it for the time being. Instead I’m going to give you some information about how we work. Our current team consist of me, Doomdark, 4 programmers (and one of those started last Thursday), 3 scripters, 1 designer, 2 artists and 4 QA. On top of this the talented people from Paradox South are working on a content pack and there is also sound and music in production.

The core team is using a subset of the SCRUM methodology and a lot of focus is put on working more closely with QA than before in order to keep quality as high as possible. Our sprints are 3 weeks, and the final week has a focus on fixing bugs (old and new). Nearing the Gold Master (this is the version of the game we will release), we stop developing new features and focus fully on bug fixing and balancing. Since the Gold Master milestone date and the actual release date usually are a couple of weeks apart, we keep working on bugs and minor improvements for the first patch until the release (and beyond). In some cases (like with Horse Lords) the first patch is released the same day as the expansion, but sometimes it’s better to wait for the initial feedback before releasing a patch. As someone in QA noted for Horse Lords: one day after the release the players have tested the game several more hours than the QA team has done during the development of the expansion.

A tidbit of extra info about the expansion: the changes that go into the patch will fundamentally change how a portion of the game is played.

upload_2015-10-6_14-2-5.png

They've done three every year since the game was released and they could handle it. Their not so good performances of last year(RoI being a buggy mess on release and Charlemagne coming with broken features like viceroyalties, then they promised us not only bugfixing but also a new dlc which broke the game for Christmas AI couldn't raise levies) as a sign of CK2 ending it's production cycle. HL and governments looked like they were going to save this game but now I don't know what to believe. Dev diaries until Christmas probably mean a new year release. We might not be getting even two DLC's this year.

I hope horse lords isn't considered balanced and is still being looked at. No ai can beat nomads and keep declaring wars they can't win as they only check the Khagans horse/bs op retinues whichever you call them. Then there WoL which I just stopped using. I think I could live with ck2 getting one or 2 dlcs then that's it.

They've done three every year since the game was released and they could handle it. Their not so good performances of last year(RoI being a buggy mess on release and Charlemagne coming with broken features like viceroyalties, then they promised us not only bugfixing but also a new dlc which broke the game for Christmas AI couldn't raise levies) as a sign of CK2 ending it's production cycle. HL and governments looked like they were going to save this game but now I don't know what to believe. Dev diaries until Christmas probably mean a new year release. We might not be getting even two DLC's this year.
and that is a bad thing? they have a small team and like they said they are working even closer with quality assurance to make sure that the games come out in the best shape they can make them, I say take your time and make sure these last few DLC (I think there are suppose to only be two more) will help CK2 evolve into its final perfect form, so that no one even talks about needing a CK3 for years

Reactions:

Ah i understand. Three per year is no sacrosanct rule, especially as it was mentioned not to do minor expansion DLCs
as Legacy orRome, SonsofAbraham or Way of Life anymore, if i recall correctly.
I don't see the end being nigh yet.

I heard Wencks 12th Army is on its way to save us all from doom. ;)

Reactions:
Well usually a DLC gets released after the last Devdiary and it would make sense releasing then me thinks.
Unless of course, you refer to the possibility of releasing one DLC before christmas and the second then, while doing devdiaries during that time.
If so, why didn't you simply say that ?
tongue.gif
Well last year they did state that there would be 3 ck2 dlcs this year, if we assume that still might be true then that means that they'll have to release two dlcs before christmas. It seems unlikely but not impossible.
And I did not say that because I don't really belive it, but stating as fact that "they have said the next dlc will be out in december" is just plain wrong, it''s treating your own interpretations as fact.

I hope the "fundamental change" is to PLOTTING, as that's still a bit on the weak side... really, if that were fixed, the game would be about as good as anybody could ask for.

Reactions:
Well last year they did state that there would be 3 ck2 dlcs this year, if we assume that still might be true then that means that they'll have to release two dlcs before christmas. It seems unlikely but not impossible.
And I did not say that because I don't really belive it, but stating as fact that "they have said the next dlc will be out in december" is just plain wrong, it''s treating your own interpretations as fact.

You could have mentioned it as a possibility. No crime in doing so. :)
I agree that the statement was misleading as "promised us" is compared to "we will..", as that is only a declaration of intent, not a promise.
Then again it is a quite likely presumption that a DLC will be out.
Not necessarily the next though, true, nor definitely in december.

Good, now we have that out of our way.
cool.gif

PACTS !

Reactions:
Reactions:
How have no one said this yet

Pacta sunt servanda!

Though really if it does not apply it would add more dpth to the system, perhaps not fulfilling a pact would give others a cb on you called Pacta sunt servanda.

Reactions:
They have mentioned how big the team is and for me it is a good sign to have great expansion :)

So this DD is not empty I really appreciate their hard work.

Btw they said 3 dlcs or 3 expansions this year? ;) unit and music packs are also dlcs :p

Reactions:
You can safely assume that we won't release two more expansions this year.
The dev diaries won't contain all that much about the expansion (or the patch released at the same time), until we're closer to announcing anything official.
If that bothers you, then feel free to consider these as non-dd:s and just random posts from the dev team. We won't take offense ;)

Are there topics that people would like us to have for these dd:s? If it's not related to the expansion/patch, we might consider putting it in.

Reactions:
You can safely assume that we won't release two more expansions this year.
The dev diaries won't contain all that much about the expansion (or the patch released at the same time), until we're closer to announcing anything official.
If that bothers you, then feel free to consider these as non-dd:s and just random posts from the dev team. We won't take offense ;)

Are there topics that people would like us to have for these dd:s? If it's not related to the expansion/patch, we might consider putting it in.
I'd be interested in hearing about how you guys decide what to focus on for any given DLC, and what to hold off for later.

Reactions:

Birken, hopefully I speak for the vast majority of CK2 fans when I say: Thank you for the hard work that you do, and thank you for posting these DDs and taking the time to participate in the forums in general. We appreciate it. I look forward to whatever you choose to post about in the DDs.

Reactions: