• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #17: Post-Launch

Welcome to the first Age of Wonders 4 development diary since release. My name is Lennart Sas, game director / studio manager at Triumph. Today we’ll be reflecting on the launch, the reception and we are going to be looking forward to the big Dragon Dawn DLC and specifically the free Wyvern Update that accompanies it.

image__80_.jpg

Reflecting on the Launch​

Wow! What a launch. For us the Age of Wonders 4 launch has been a dream: both a critical and commercial success. Paradox put out a press release the game is the fastest selling in the series; selling 250k units day 4 of release. We are very grateful to all the people making this possible.

The launch has been a rollercoaster in other ways too of course; some may have seen the user reviews directly after release. This was primarily caused by people not being able to launch the game after purchasing. This was unfortunate and we started investigating and preparing a hot fix which alleviated some of the issue.

Luckily the user review score quickly climbed up in the hours after launch. Since then we have made a number of patches to improve stability and performance in the various platforms. We also got help from one of the graphic card manufacturers who fixed their driver.

We were happy to see the core premise of the game gaining massive traction. The faction creation and evolution plus all the new systems were widely embraced by fans but also appealed to a new audience. Of course we have also seen feedback and criticisms for a subsection of the fan base (that actually started as soon as we showed the route we were taking) that preferred a more traditional approach (to factions especially). In future updates we’ll keep on investing in faction content allowing both for more distinction in gameplay and growing the number of possible fantasies.

Modding is off to a promising start, with the Steam Workshop already having 285 mods at the time of writing. We see people adding in new content like creative additional Tomes but also making interesting adjustments to game flow. This is very inspiring to the team.

All in all the Age of Wonders 4 has had a very healthy start and we are looking forward to expanding the game with your feedback. Of course we have mapped out the DLCs for the coming year but we also expect to do a lot in the supporting patches and updates.

image__40_.jpg

The Wyvern Update and Dragon Dawn​

The Dragon Dawn Content Pack and the massive free Wyvern update that accompanies it are nearing completion. I can already say that the date may be closer than you think. We are on target to make this the fastest DLC / major patch release after launch for an AoW game.

20230426145714_1.jpg

The Wyvern Update​

The accompanying (free) Wyvern Update already has over 10 pages of patch notes. Here are some provisional highlights I can share with you: (thanks Jordi and Filip for summarizing this list!)

Faction Creation

We've added a Create Faction button which takes you directly into the Faction Creation Flow. You can create a new Faction from the ground up, edit an existing Faction or Generate a Random Ruler using the new Random Ruler Feature. We also added two new traits; one body and social traits.

Empire Development

The Empire Development Tree has been rebalanced. Early Skills will require more Accumulated Affinity and have an increased Imperium cost. Some Skills have been moved earlier/later and some are replaced with entirely new skills.

We've also addressed several issues with them, such as:
  • Wild expansion - Reduced chance of summoning a Greater animal from 60% to 20%, fixed a bug where it triggered on annexing ancient wonders or swapping provinces between cities.
  • Military Engineering - now grants work camp instead of Palisade walls, Outpost cost reduction reduced from 50% to 25%.
  • Knowledge Extraction - changed from 50 Knowledge per Hero level to 150 per Hero.

Souls

While several of the Tomes will be visited in this Update, Necromancy Tomes will have rebalanced Soul Economy. The following changes should result in a higher general soul income and the possibility to gain even more souls when investing in it.
  • All Necromancy Tomes: Change Soul Harvest income from 1/2/3/4/5 and 5 per hero level to 2/3/4/5/6 and 6 for each Hero.
  • Tome of Souls: Replace Soulbind Army: Sustained World Spell: Soul Collection: +6 Soul Income and 30 Gold upkeep.
  • Tome of Souls: Soul Fire changed from 10 Souls to 10 Mana.
  • Tome of Necromancy: Reduce Necromancer Soul cost from 50 Souls to 70 Gold and 25 Souls.
  • Tome of Great Transformation: Change the cost of Wightborn Transformation from 200 Souls to 300 Mana and 100 Souls.

Cavalry & Mounted Units

We've heard you loud and clear. You wanted more mounted units, so we have put several units on top of Horses, Wolf, Boars and the likes. The Mystic Spellbreaker, Hound Master and Wild Speaker units are now permanently mounted, while units like the Dark Pursuer, High Dawn Defender and Glade Runner will get mounts when paired with a Exotic Mount Trait.
These units will also be more easily recognized thanks to the new “Optional Cavalry” tag in the unit panel encyclopedia.

Quality of Life Improvements

But what have we done to make the player experience smoother? Well...
  • You now have the ability to disable the “Combat Action Camera”, giving full control to the Player. This should help with accessibility.
  • The “Show Location” button should now indicate way better where the corresponding event location resides. This now has an animated sequence so the Player can visually see where the location is relative to their current location.
  • Status Effects are now also displayed in the Unit Abilities panel. Here, you can see the number of stacks and duration of a status effect. They also include tooltips; so you don’t have to enter the Unit Panel anymore to determine what an effect does.
  • If you attack through an underground passage, the Reinforcement Rule is now disabled, so it’s always a 1 army vs 1 army battle
  • Added a Next and Previous button for the Hero Panel screen
  • Buttons for cycling through cities are now in a fixed position.

And of course a list of misc fixes

• Fixed issue where vassals that where player cities would not send attack armies or spawn patrolling stacks
  • Fixed issue where campaign specific personality traits could get automatically assigned to rulers.
  • Fixed issue where players would sometimes incorrectly receive alignment penalties for breaking treaties when war was declared on them, instead the war declaring player now receives the penalties.
  • Fixed an issue where the 5 turns delay for declaring war on a Free City would not be applied when vassalizing a city / having a vassal city.
  • Fixed issue where vassalizing a migrated city, that at any point in time used to be a free city, would revert the city back to the original race of the free city. Instead it will now generate a new free city as owner of the city.
  • Fixed magic victory spells losing their effect when reloading that game.
  • Outpost upkeep is now correctly removed when the outpost is converted to a city.
  • Fixed bug where Spider Webs were dealing double damage
  • Events are moddable.
  • And much more!

We understand that you want to get your hands on these fixes ASAP but we kindly ask for a little more patience as we verify the fixes. Our plan is to roll these things out on all platforms simultaneously.

The road further ahead​

We are just at the beginning for Age of Wonders 4 and look forward to expanding and improving the game longer than we have done any game in our history. Your feedback will be a major driving factor, as we strive for even greater immersion, replayability and fun!

Be the first to know when we have wrangled the dragon

Attachments

• 1685536079796.png
    1685536079796.png
    1,6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1685536079843.png
    1685536079843.png
    1,7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1685536079929.png
    1685536079929.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 64Like
  • 31Love
Reactions:
Leyrann

Yes, of course it all seemed to me. Your sarcasm, and the fact that you take the audacity to claim that the game is not created for PVP, and your calculations of the percentages of players playing PVP (I wonder where the data comes from?), and your position: prove to me that white is white, etc... Of course, you didn't mean any of this, but just asked a question.
Your "sheet" with a half-page verbiage is quite expected... I wonder if I tell you, for example, that with the help of the culture of darkness and vassals, you can endlessly abuse scientific glasses, this time - will you react more restrained or will you say again that the game is not broken and everyone who "complains" about the lack of balance simply does not understand anything about the mechanics of the game?

Reactions:
Lovely, but @FangirlCrazily can you guys have a look at the User Mod forum too and look into the feature requests? I know it may not feel like a priority, but a good modding community tends to be vital to the longevity of a game such as this - just take a look at how it has kept franchises such as Total War alive even though many of the series are very outdated.

They are all vital for a healthy modding community - especially going forward as currently.. There is a lot of stuff that simply causes incompatibilities in mods and that is a darn shame.
Hiya, thank you for the mention. Unfortunately our devs currently don't have the capacity to dedicate time to modding features, not because we don't think it's important, but because our team is simply too small and we're already stretched thin working on the base game. The most we can offer at the moment is the modding guide. We really appreciate the work the modding community has done so far and hope we don't come off as ungrateful. I'm very sorry about this.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the update!

I did want to know if Triumph has any thoughts about the current implementation of the Pantheon system and if there are any planned tweaks. It seems to be one of the more contentious aspects of the game at the moment, aside from maybe customizable races.

We do plan to explore more of the Pantheon system as we go along, but as it is a fairly complex system we don't necessarily plan to implement anything in the immediate future.

It's a bit concerning that there has yet to be any mention of the incredibly passive and non-threatening behaviour of the AI.
I know we can't expect details right now of course but can you say if Diplomacy/AI in general will get tweaks in the next patch?
Please do not neglect the AI. It may not be glamorous but it is what makes the game properly challenging (based on difficulty option) but also immersive (AI non sense immediately pulls you out of the game).

The devs are well aware of the feedback regarding AI. The issue is that it is quite complex to get right as we need to study how AI reacts in different scenarios and tweak accordingly. There isn't a quick fix for this unfortunately (we wish there was a "AI Brutality" lever we could just crank up) You can help us by letting us know if you see any irrational AI behavior here.

No mention of performance optimization or network stability for multiplayer either. Guessing it will remain Age of Reloads.

Also, did these guys really just show us the pictures of Dragon Dawn on the steam page. Come on bro. You guys are the source...
Performance optimisation is one of our foremost priorities right now. We have an Open Beta going on Steam where we regularly release fixes on some of the issues.

Also we're saving the new visuals for Dragon Dawn for the actual announcement :p

Exciting news!

QQ--Is anything being done in the Wyvern update to enhance the Underground-gameplay? As it stands, the underground map-generation is weird (putting lava right next to rivers--way to much space blocked by un-clearable bedrock), and there isn't nearly enough loot/other concrete benefits to make exploring the underground worth it.

This is something we are looking into. We want to identify what makes Underground gameplay unique and how we can further develop it such that the difference leads to compelling gameplay.

I would also agree that it's really sad they didn't mention the clear performance issues that happen mid to late game.
Tile improvements + Forests/Jungles really stutters the game. Wish there was a big optimization patch or simply a way to simply remove enviormental animations. Since it appears that most of the stutters comes from the engine loading 1-2 dozen animations all at once. Which it clearly struggles with...

Not to talk about Battles, where some battles are running fine, while other battle maps cause a massive FPS loss.
If by next major patch this hasn't been fixed, I will give the devs a clear and detailed bug report about this issue.
We would actually appreciate the bug report now! Really, because we rely on reports to identify and fix issues. Not all issues are reproducable on our end, so we want to see what specific actions you took to trigger the bug. Save files are invaluable for this. You can submit a bug report using the Bugs subforum.

The main downside for me, with regards to the race transformations is actually the graphics. I NEVER use Leafskin, and I try to avoid Supergrowth. Can we hav a button for turning off the graphics for the transformations, please????
We do see that this is a highly requested feature, and we agree it would be nice to have more customisation. This is something we are considering for the future.

Looks good - But one thing I am missing from the game is a more structured campaign. Are there any plans to implement a "old school" campaign in the future? :)
When we released Planetfall, we received a lot of feedback that most players preferred the unstructured parts of the game. Hence, as part of the core design of AOW4, we decided to focus on mini-campaigns (Story Realms) instead of a long form one. We do plan to continue developing the narrative through additional Story Realms in the DLCs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
We do see that this is a highly requested feature, and we agree it would be nice to have more customisation. This is something we are considering for the future.

As suggestion: how about making a pinned thread with suggestions you are taking into consideration and eventually want to have more input on. Or alternative, having a forums survey (is that possible with XenForo?) once in a while to see which suggestion is more or less well received? I am certain it can get activity, especially when using SurveyMonkey/Google forms and include Steam forums...

The devs are well aware of the feedback regarding AI. The issue is that it is quite complex to get right as we need to study how AI reacts in different scenarios and tweak accordingly. There isn't a quick fix for this unfortunately (we wish there was a "AI Brutality" lever we could just crank up) You can help us by letting us know if you see any irrational AI behavior here.

That one comment on Paradox forums I find most interesting. AI cannot siege when its armies are without heroes. Did anyone else notice that some AI ruler seemingly not having enough heroes in their roster?

Can you imagine a relation to the hero counter bug? We cannot see what the AI is building etc. etc. pp. So what if the AI is suffering from the same bug we players do, but unlike us they cannot workaround? And in worst case the AI over time runs out on a) usable heroes because of the hero cap bug b) resources aka gold due to the hero bug

That would explain why at some point the AI seemingly stops working.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hiya, thank you for the mention. Unfortunately our devs currently don't have the capacity to dedicate time to modding features, not because we don't think it's important, but because our team is simply too small and we're already stretched thin working on the base game. The most we can offer at the moment is the modding guide. We really appreciate the work the modding community has done so far and hope we don't come off as ungrateful. I'm very sorry about this.

I think all Modders understand that you're busy fixing the base game and that it comes first, but eventually, one can hope, you guys get to a point in which you can start fixing the.. Glaring issues there are with modding.
- Imagine you have 20 tome mods each adding a building and then having a production list with 1-20 greyed out buildings and you just want to find the Tier 3 Town Hall upgrade, it's not.. a great situation.
- No way to restrict which sectors an improvement can be build in.
- No way to add any new operation to the UI without also messing with the operationcontrollers or similar in vanilla files - again, big time incompatibility.
- Not being able to add scripts in combat (#SadFace no boss battles..)
- Lack of DataStoreTags and if you add them yourself - bam incompatibility big time with people modding vanilla units/buildings.
- Modded TML icons not functioning in the UI.

And those are just off the top of my head.. So yeah. Once the base game is in a good place. The AoW 4 community would probably really appreciate that QoL improvements to the modding scene.

Reactions:
Though you may very well be right, I think you’re a little too biased to say this, without it reflecting on credibility:

“The launch has been a rollercoaster in other ways too of course; some may have seen the user reviews directly after release. This was primarily caused by people not being able to launch the game after purchasing”

Legitimately not in a negative way, just saying, in this context I think it sounds too self serving. Even if true, I can’t help but muse that kind of sentiment would better be left unsaid. Just apologize for the rocky and start, talk about how you fixed it, how you’ll keep fixing it, then dive into cool upcoming features.

Loving the game. I hope some thoughtful work goes into ironing out some of the kinks and I’ll be on board for any dlc to come! Looking forward to draconians (they look great) and Druid. It’ll be tough waiting almost a year for the latter!