• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #126 - Modding Activities

Hello and welcome to the 126th CK3 Dev Diary. I’m Matthew, one of the programmers on the team, and today we’re going to be covering changes to modding support coming alongside Tours and Tournaments as well as how modding activities themselves can work.

Activity Modding​

Activities are fully moddable, and as I mentioned in prior dev diaries they are composed of a variety of options and phases, where a phase is made up of a type and a location.

There are a lot of scripting options in activities so I’m going to also attach our info file on them for a more detailed overview. For this dev diary I’m just going to cover a handful of the bigger things.

Options​

Options are one of the more simple things, they are grouped into categories with different options which can be shown and picked, and it is scripted which is default. This default picking is a trigger so that different defaults can be set for different people; in vanilla we use this to make Hajj the default for Muslims, so they go on that first.
01 - activity options.PNG

Additionally, every option can forcefully add characters to the entourage of the host and invited guests, it will pick from their court characters and allows a weight for selecting them and a maximum to pick from for player and AI.
These invited characters also get an invite order, which I’ll cover in more depth shortly.
02 - entourage.PNG

Lastly one option category can be set as the “special” category, this option will be picked first when planning an activity. In vanilla we use this for the special activity types like which type of Tour you are going on. It is fed into many triggers and scripted values in the activity setup for checking.

Phases​

Setting up phases can be quite complicated, mainly centering around how the location of them should be picked.

You can think of there being two types of phases: Predefined and Pickable.

Predefined phases are always present and not removable, they can be selected either by the script picking a location or automatically set to the first or last phase.

For example, in a Tour the final phase is “Journey Home” is predefined and has a scripted selection of always taking you to your capital province, so you return home.
03 - phases.PNG

For pickable phases the player instead selects a province themselves, phases can be repeatedly picked and have a max limit so you cannot go on a Tour to visit every vassal.

Every phase also has an order in which it happens, for a simple activity like a feast where all phases are predefined this just controls the order they happen. In more complicated activities where the player can pick things the order becomes more complicated, it will respect the order you script but also if the order is matching it will be the last one the player picked.

To take Tours as an example again in the above image you can see order is set to 2, and for the pickable phases where you visit different vassals the order is set to 1.
So that means the Journey Home is always at the very end of everything, and for the vassal stops whichever you the player picked last will be towards the end of your journey.

Special Guests​

Special guests can be selected in two ways, either a trigger which you then pick from all invited characters who match it, or they can be automatically filled by an effect. This allows weddings to automatically set the bride and groom whereas in a feast you can pick your honorary guest.
04 - special guest.PNG

05 - special guest trigger.PNG

Additionally, as you may have spotted special guests can be required or not, if required then the activity will not be plannable without them and if they decline then it will be invalidated.

Invite Rules​

Every activity has multiple invite rules which control who can be invited, these rules are reusable and can be shared among different activities and are defined in their own files.

On its own an invite rule is just an effect which adds character to a list, how you get those characters from the host is up to you really.
06 - invite rules.PNG

When an activity decides to use those invite rules it can decide if the rule should be enabled by default and more importantly what order the invite rule should be applied. This comes into play when the invite rules are adding more characters than your activity can support, it will try to invite characters based on the order and later less important characters will be skipped.
07 - invite order.PNG

Special guests are always invited first since the activity to some degree revolves around them. Equally those you manually invite via interaction will be put to the front of the invite list.

Intents​

Like invite rules our intents are defined in their own files and can be reused by different activities. The default intent for hosts and guests is defined per activity, the player and AI will pick their own specific one from there.

Every intent can optionally have a target character and they are scripted similarly to interaction targets. One thing to keep in mind when modding intents is the AI target usage; since every invited character is a target, you should make liberal use of the AI target filtering we provide and put maximus on potentially very large groups of people.
08 - intents.PNG

Plugin Widgets​

Due to the nature of activities wanting to display special information, and in the case of Tournaments basically showing its entire own window, we came up with a system of allowing the activity script to define what plugin widgets it would like inserted into the main window.
09 - plugin widgets.PNG

The format of these is that the left-hand side refers to the name of the plugin widget and the name of the file it will be in, similar to the event window widgets, all of which are found under the gui/activity_window_widgets directory.

The right-hand side refers to the name of the widget in the main activity window they should be inserted under. We’ve got a few that we use already in vanilla but mods can expand and add more places they insert widgets and use custom widgets for their own activity information.

Leveled Traits​

As shown off in some earlier dev diaries we now have leveled traits built into the game instead of needing to be handled purely in script.

Script wise they are very simple; any trait can define one or more tracks and what XP thresholds needs to be met for modifiers to apply. The modifiers are stacking so you always get the rewards of previous levels on top of them.

Any trait can be made into a leveled trait, for now we’ve done it to lifestyle traits where you can level them up. But we may apply this in the future to other things!
10 - trait tracks.PNG

Currently unused in vanilla, we’ve also added it so the trait XP can degrade over time which I am sure mods will be able to put to good use. The below will make the XP degrade by 5 every month, but only to a minimum of 20 so you don’t lose all your hard-earned XP.
11 - trait degredation.PNG

Alongside this rework we also went through and added more documentation to traits and combined some properties that could never coexist and now give better errors.

Database Scopes​

One larger rework that will be a work in progress over the next few patches is that now database types can be registered as scope types.

I’ve reworked our backend to support this better now and still keep things safe, mainly by disallowing effects to be run on these database scopes since they are not modifiable. So now for example traits and activity types are scopes which can be saved and used in script.

Currently the support is mostly in its bare minimum state, but in future patches I plan to make a variety of database types into scopes. This should hopefully improve mod compatibility and reduce down script duplication of manually checking over every single trait by hand.

Coming in the next release after Tours and Tournaments I’ve made traits fully integrated into this for both triggers and effects, so you could look for a random opposite trait of someone and then add it to your character for example.

For Tours and Tournaments, we’ve mostly used this in the activity system to support alerts better, so instead of having a hard coded alert about activities you can host we can just check them like normal script.
12 - database scopes.PNG

So modders reading this: I’d love to know what types you’d like added as scopes and what triggers and effects that take database keys you’d like to see take scopes. I’ve already got traits done for a future patch, so I am interested in others I can do!

Data Models​

I’ve reworked the backend of how data models work, which now allows us to in gui script dynamically get sub-sections of a datamodel as well as set a datacontext to a specific item in the data model.

For example, you can now limit a datamodel to the first three people:
Code:
datamodel = "[DataModelFirst( ActivityWindow.GetCharacters, '(int32)3' )]"

Or you can get the skip the first few of them:
Code:
datamodel = "[DataModelSkipFirst( ActivityWindow.GetCharacters, '(int32)3' )]"

There also exists a “Last” version of these which gets/skips the end and DataModelSubSpan which lets you do both an offset and desired size.

Using datacontext_from_model you can also get a specific item, oftentimes this will be the very first one so you can show the top scoring character, or first completed intent etc.
13 - datacontext model.PNG

The index can also be dynamic so you can save a value in script and then get that character out of your data model.

Conditional Scope Change​

As some of you eagle eyed people might have spotted, or if you’ve modded Vicky and see they released with our change first, is the new conditional scope change operator ?=.

Normally when you change to a scope you will get errors if it does not exist, but in many cases you know that the thing may not be set in which case you don’t want an error but to fail the trigger.
The previous way of doing that is to add an exists trigger on the line above every time as that then returns false if they are not around, but that could be quite cumbersome.

Now you can combine that together so instead of loads of extra typing it's just one convenient ? being involved!
14 - conditional scope change.PNG

This also works for scope comparisons where it will return false if the left-hand side does not exist. When used in effects it will just skip running the effects in that scope change if the scope doesn’t exist.

And lastly as a little sneak peek of the patch notes here is the user modding section!

###################
# User Modding
###################
- Added character modifier, Men-at-arms Counter Resistance
- Rename hidden_effect_new_artifact to hidden_effect_new_object
- Add GetBaronyNameExplicitly and GetBaronyNameExplicitlyNoTooltip to provinces to get the barony even if it's the capital.
- Add building_slot_add modifier for holdings.
- Add prowess_no_portrait trigger.
- Add trait modifiers based on faith doctrine parameters, analogous to culture
- Added defines for simple text glow formats
- Adds the hostile_county_attrition_raiding to modify the hostile county attrition of raiding armies. Will apply from both commanders and owners of armies. This IGNORES the regular lower limit of 10%, such that hostile county attrition for raiding armies can be reduced to 0. Go forth, land vikings! Pillage! Rule!
- Adds the movement_speed_land_raiding to modify the speed of raiding armies moving over land. Will apply from both commanders and owners of armies.
- Consistently use reference for triggered background/textures instead of sometimes duplicating with event_background.
- Custom loc can now have the "all" type which lets it match to any scope type.
- Interactions can now also set a cooldown on all other interactions in the same category via the 'category_cooldown' and 'category_cooldown_against_recipient' properties
- Make province GetName and GetNameNoTooltip both return the county if capital.
- Remove 'goto' field from 'send_interface_message' and 'send_interface_toast'
- Remove GUI support for 'PlayerMessageItem' members 'GetGotoProvince', 'HasGotoProvince', and 'OnGoto'
- Remove the add_building_slot effect, only use the new building_slot_add modifier.
- Rework how open_view and open_view_data handle additional script provided data, the view_message field has been renamed to data and can be used in either of those effects it will now pass the additional data to the specific interface it is opening which will use it as appropriate.
- The 'duel' script effect can now use multiple skills at once, averaging their value. Up to six skills can be compared.
- Add diarchy_succession_character script list builder
- Add effect change_diarchy_type
- Add effect set_diarch
- add trigger is_diarchy_successor
- Per modder request, added some instructions (and a small correction) to on_actions.info to help newbie modders just getting started
- Per modder request, added standardised cultural parameters for raiding overland and overseas to increase mod interoperability. Also made it easier to add dynasty modifiers, house modifiers, & cultural innovations that unlock raiding (either according to standard restrictions for non-tribals or, optionally, without restrictions)
- Per modder request, replaced almost all instances of has_government with government_has_flag (and added relevant flags to each government type) to allow for easy hooking in of additional government types to vanilla content & systems, as well as better mod interoperability
- Add function [Army.GetArmyStatusTooltip]
- Introduce [Army.GetArmyStatusOutlinerIcon]
- Renamed [Army.GetArmyStatusIcon] to [Army.GetArmyStatusIllustration].
- add change_diarchy_power_level effect
- add diarchy_has_parameter trigger
- add diarchy_power_level trigger
- add set_diarchy_power_level effect
- Converted tribal imprisonment block to use a government flag for marginally higher mod compatibility
- Added 'memory_creation_date', 'memory_end_date' and 'memory_age_years' triggers for Character Memories.
- Add HasCharacterFlag datafunction for characters
- Added IsDateAfter promote that takes a date and a target date.
- Added IsDateBefore promote that takes a date and a target date.
- Added IsDateBetween promote that takes a target date, a start time and an end time.
- Added IsDateToday promote that takes a date.
- Added GetDateAsTotalDays promote for Dates
- Added promote HasFlag to the (Player) MessageType in order to allow specializations for message appearances.
- Added effect start_travel_plan, which opens the travel planning window for the player and can take multiple (optional) input parameters like destination(s), companion(s), events/on_actions, et al.
- New `*_neighboring_province` list can be used to efficiently get adjacent provinces in script
- New `*_army_in_location` list can be used to quickly find armies in a province
- The "Settings" window doesn't pop up anymore when reloading localization data
- New expand auto-complete mode for console: Toggle via `settings` -> Tools -> Console auto-complete mode
- Can kick out existing councillor "nicely" by using `remove_existing_councillor = yes` in `assign_councillor_type` effect
- Interactions targetting artifacts can now directly open up a specific artifact
- You can now actually generate a 'lowborn' character from character templates (`dynasty = none` is now correctly honored)
- The PdxData data_binding 'macro' system now supported for mods too
- You can attach character portrait assets to the root of a 3D entities via `at_root_of_entity` (same config location as `shared_pose_entity` / `node`)
- New 'scope exists' script operator "?=" added, so we don't have to write "exist = bla bla = { stuff }" thousands of times and can just do “bla ?= { stuff }”
- Scope exists operator `bla ?= {}` in effects will not execute effects inside scope if the scope `bla` does not exist
- Added new 'ransomed' artifact history state
- `set_location` effect now has `stick_to_location = yes` if you want to pin down someone’s default location to be different from their capital or court

Attachments

• ToTo Modding.zip
    102,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 39Like
  • 26Love
Reactions:
- Custom loc can now have the "all" type which lets it match to any scope type.

That's one of the biggest changes for me personally. Custom entities - any modded "thing" that's not a variant of an in-game thing like schools, knightly orders, offmap Mesoamerican city-states - can now properly have their own naming logic without so much duplication or awkwardly scoping from a relevant title or character.

• 1Like
Reactions:
- Adds the hostile_county_attrition_raiding to modify the hostile county attrition of raiding armies. Will apply from both commanders and owners of armies. This IGNORES the regular lower limit of 10%, such that hostile county attrition for raiding armies can be reduced to 0. Go forth, land vikings! Pillage! Rule!

Excellent. I always have the urge to raid Jerusalem and other landlocked locations of interest (when I have the manpower), but the attrition hits like a truck.

Now I can dive even further into hostile territory in the reckless pursuit of shiny artifacts and less shiny but no less collectable nobles.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Very nice that every aspect of the activity can be modded. Some talented modders will definitely do very creative things with this.
As one of the people for whom these lines of codes could as well have been some sort of secret language, I'm a tiny bit disappointed we didn't see some achievements or some titbits like new loading screen art.
But I guess, we don't have to wait much longer anymore. As always, thanks for your hard work and I'm very hyped for May 11th!

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
If I am reading this correctly, then I can now just save a trait in a scope and check if a character has an opposing trait to that? If so, then this will make my work *a lot* easier, because I don't need a giant table of all the personality traits and their opposites anymore when trying to give a character a new personality trait. :)

Other interesting things that I would like to save in this way:
-> Events. Right now, I just give the event-id as a parameter to a scripted effect and do "trigger_event = <namespace>.$ID$" inside it. This gets the job done, but if I had the choice, I would like to like to have events in scopes.
-> Relations. I don't know if making it into a scope is the best way to go about it, but I would like to attach data to relations. If possible, I would also like a performant way to get a list of characters who have a one-sided relation with a particular character, specifically "Who has crush on this character?".

I would also like to reiterate a feature request for officially supporting single event replacement. If would help a lot with compatibility between different event- and bugfix-mods.

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Good to know. Thanks for the dev diary.

• 2Like
Reactions:
- Per modder request, replaced almost all instances of has_government with government_has_flag (and added relevant flags to each government type) to allow for easy hooking in of additional government types to vanilla content & systems, as well as better mod interoperability
Yes yes yes! But please do the same with faith doctrines. I tried to split gender equality doctrine into separate doctrines for council, titles and so on, but found that you use has_doctrine everywhere instead of has_doctrine_parameter.
And this doctrine parameters don't even work (for me at least):
Code:
men_can_have_multiple_spouses = yes
men_can_have_consorts = yes
women_can_have_multiple_spouses = yes
women_can_have_consorts = yes
- `set_location` effect now
Was there such an effect before?

Also when will we get full language and feature specification? Wiki is incomplete, .info files feel like they are just sticknotes for Paradox programmers who already know how the game works.
Would be nice to have typed parameters for scripted effects and triggers, and also powerful string and date manipulation effects similar to functions found in Javascript or Python.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
This is a great DD for modders.

Also, please do one more thing.
Can't you add a trigger to check if other mods are loaded?
Is it possible to create a trigger that checks the mod name (or ID), for example "loaded_mod = { Elder Kings 2 }" ?
I've always struggled with compatibility when I was making some mods and wish there was a trigger like this.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I’d love to know what types you’d like added as scopes
Marriages. I really want to mod them that is why I ask about marriages in every DD. I don't know how grand weddings are implemented but I would like to see something like:
Code:
create_marriage = {
    root = <character>
    root_matchmaker = <character>
    spouse = <character>
    spouse_matchmaker = <character>
}

random_marriage = {
    limit = { phase = betrothal }
    save_scope_as = marriage
}

scope:marriage ?= {
    confirm = yes # from now on only "divorce" effect can be used
    cancel = yes # no "former spouse" status as you have with "divorce = yes"
    cancel = { reason = <reason> }
    set_date = <date> # new date
    set_date = { date = <date> reason = <reason> }
    delay_for = {
        years = <number>
        months = <number>
        days = <number>
        reason = <reason>
    }
}
Of cource there can probably be race conditions when two events try to modify the same marriage.
It should support marriages where characters marry multiple characters at once.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I have no idea what any of this means...but I like it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Looks great and flexible. I asked a question about this on the tournaments diary but it ended sandwiched between two dev responses so I think it could have been buried. Would it be possible to set certain events for tournaments or activities to specific terrain. Such as rowing or climbing in tournaments for coastal or mountain terrain or fishing/whaling for a hunt activity on coastal or sea tiles?

• 5Like
Reactions: