• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #12: Music

Creating the Age of Wonders 4 OST

This dev diary was contributed by Michiel van den Bos (@Michieldvbos), the composer of the Age of Wonders 4 soundtrack. He also composed for previous instalments in the Age of Wonders series as well as the Overlord series. His work was most recently featured in Age of Wonders: Planetfall.

MichielKick.jpg

Photo Credit: Michiel van den Bos

Listen to the Soundtrack Here:

Introduction

In the years of composing soundtracks for Age of Wonders games, there was always something at the forefront: Traditional orchestral sounds drenched in synths, either subtly or pronounced. This has been the norm since the original when, due to its Tracker origins, options were very limited and the mixing of those two elements was a matter of necessity rather than choice.

With Age of Wonders 4 the process of finding the right 'feel' was a slightly longer one. The initial run of songs contained a lot of traditional medieval folk instruments without much processing added, resulting in a much more in-your-face sound. This was by choice at first due to the aesthetic and setting of the game but that was soon decided to become grating for the player when listening to it for too long, though a few of these songs remain on the soundtrack.

As the preliminary phase of production went along, I started to add more processing to these instruments and reintroducing synths, though at a far more subdued level than in previous entries in the series.

The result is a soundtrack that definitely feels rooted in the Age of Wonders tradition, but with a style of its own that sets it apart and fits the setting of this iteration of the game.

Where Age of Wonders 3's soundtrack was a mixture of original work and remixes or re-imaginings of the original's songs, this one is predominantly comprised of completely new material with a few winks and nods to legacy songs, though very difficult to spot.

I'm very proud of what we've come up with and I hope you enjoy listening to it and playing the game along with it as much as I've enjoyed creating it.

For those interested, these were some of the main tools in my arsenal while making this soundtrack (some omitted due to limited use):
  • Cinematic Studio Strings (Cinematic Studio Series)
  • Spitfire Symphonic Strings (Spitfire Audio)
  • Spitfire Chamber Strings (Spitfire Audio)
  • Spitfire Solo Strings (Spitfire Audio)
  • Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds (Spitfire Audio)
  • Spitfire Percussion (Spitfire Audio)
  • Albion 1/ Masse/Contemporary Drama Toolkit /British Drama Toolkit (Spitfire)
  • Cinebrass (Cinesamples)
  • Cineperc (Cinesamples)
  • Damage 2 (Heavyocity)
  • Stormdrum 2 & 3 (EastWest)
  • Omnisphere 2.5 (Spectrasonics)
  • Rinascimento (Fluffy Audio)
  • Groth (Wavelet Audio)
  • ERA II / Forest Kingdom II (Eduardo Tarilonte/Best Service)

Liner Notes (Map and Frontend Songs only)

The Highlander (Main Title)

In stark contrast to other entries in the series, this track was written quite late in the development cycle whereas the main title songs for other games have been made early on. In this case, it fits because it's sort of the culmination of all the different styles incorporated in the map tunes. It's a laid back track that doesn't intrude too much while the player creates a character.

A Magnificent Vista

One of the earlier tracks referenced in my little writeup. A more in your face approach used in the early game. The tracks become more sprawling upon progress, but this is a nice, quite happy little song that fits the early game atmosphere.

A Settlement Rises

A breezy, easy going song in the tradition of the old March of the Halflings. A searing melody atop a bed of subtle orchestral short notes.

Darklands

Gloomy, atmospheric track with an emphasis on percussion. In pure van den Bos fashion it switches gears in the second half. I tried staying away from that for most of the soundtrack, but there are just times I can't help myself.

Dawn Sun
Another song composed in the early days of development but finished later on so it has a more sprawling feel to it. It's really quite beautiful and has no percussion at all.

Effortless Expansion
A long, mystical intro morphs into a song with a rather simple undercurrent and a lovely woodwind melody layered on top. More instruments are gradually introduced.

Fall Ascending
Totally my jam. Melancholy melodies that linger in my brain long after I'm done composing the track. One of my personal favorites.

Flourishment
Another track where the foundation dates from the early days of development but finished and touched up much later. It feels breezy and threatening at the same time with a nice crescendo building towards the end.

Mirage
Percussion heavy song that evokes an image of a large caravan making its way across the desert. After listening to it more often, it definitely ranks among my favorites for this game.

Morning Mist
Quite a heavy one conjuring a vision of lands enveloped in mist as viewed from a mountain top. This one builds subtly to a sweeping climax.

Our Work Shall Commence at Dawn
Getting up in the morning is always hard and this song evokes just that feeling, especially when you need to spend your day building roads and bridges. The second part of the song is more the labor part, whereas the intro feels like looking across vast plains in the cool morning air.

Return from Heartwood
Made in the later stages. Another one of my favorites and it subtly mixes melancholy with optimism. A very good example of how the solo instruments were processed to blend with the larger string sections.

Seizing the Day
Grandiose, expanding song that feels like the player is working towards a clear goal of domination.

Sovereignty
This one has undergone many changes since it was introduced at the beginning of the development. It's a droning, slowly building composition deeply rooted in Norwegian folk influences. It's your hero's theme song basically.

Sphere of Influence
Another folky, slowly expanding song signifying the growing reach of your rule. An earworm that definitely ranks among my favorites.

Sustained Growth
What starts out as a simple melody becomes ever grander. Dark, yet uplifting. Uneasy, yet carefree. Don't quite know how I managed it but it works. One of the more modern sounding songs on the soundtrack due to the percussion introduced in the second part.

Tales of Old
Aside from the occasional flourishes of symphonic splendor this is a very subtle song fitting most scenarios.

The Overlook
Another pretty little ditty that grows in intensity over its playtime. More precussive than most maptunes but still subtle enough to let the instruments breathe.

Tidecaster
Mystical and spacious, this has the feel of a combat track due to the fast percussion but it has been pulled back enough to let the song come into its own.

What Lies Beyond Those Hills
An early team favorite and probably my own personal favorite as well. This is one that sticks with you long after with a signature interlude that I love to incorporate in my songs if I have the opportunity to. I sometimes get some criticism for putting two songs in one, but sometimes it just works so well that I can't stop myself.

Whisper of the Gods
Just really damn pretty. Another personal favorite. A very subtle nod to two old classic are in here. It has a melody line I woke up with one morning and couldn't shake until I had laid it out in Cubase.

Stay Updated on the Latest AOW news!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 38Love
  • 32Like
Reactions:
Will this soundtrack also be released on Steam to add to my collection of game soundtracks? Maybe as a late Pre-Order bonus, as it is appearantly not in the Premium Version?

Listening to it now and this is again amazing work by Michiel van den Bos, who made some pretty epic music in the other AoW games!

• 5Like
Reactions:
A very well done soundtrack :) I can tell I will enjoy it a lot in game. Great spread of different tunes and emotions, distinct and yet all are connected to each other. Would love to hear more vocalisations but I really enjoy the Vikingesk inspirations, in my opinion they work really well.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I really love the conceptual write-up for the songs here; Thank You!

..My inner audiophile is going to go soak in this soundtrack for a while now.. =)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Thanks for sharing it, the work and the insights on the music. Gonna listen to it. Awesome for sure :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
Our Work Shall Commence at Dawn
Getting up in the morning is always hard and this song evokes just that feeling, especially when you need to spend your day building roads and bridges. The second part of the song is more the labor part, whereas the intro feels like looking across vast plains in the cool morning air.

The YouTube clip opens with "Our Work Shall Commence at Dusk" is there a missing track in the list or is there a typo somewhere?

Reactions:
Thank you for this gift, Triumph! I am currently meditating on these songs, with a full bottle of mineral water to detox the effects of the Void! I am ready to conquer realms and to forge stories of fantasy! Once again, a Big Thank You for presenting us with the music so early! I know that it may be an unpopular opinion, but for me, this is better than any live stream! Still looking for some of that next week though! Stay safe and healthy, Dear Triumph, and congratulations to the work of Michiel!
See you soon!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Loving this! And wondering along with @Triscopic if “Our Work Shall Commence at Dusk” has a contrasting piece, “Our Work Shall Commence at Dawn,” which would be very fitting for opposing cultures in AOW4! :p. ...though I suspect it’s a typo in the video. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
So, clearly a lot of work has gone into this, and it is great that this is a flagship product with all new sound, music and graphics and high production values.

That said, a lot of me is nostalgic for the older tracks, which have been in the series since AoW1 (which I still have). Is there a chance of the older tracks being included in the game (apologies if this is answered somewhere and I have missed it).

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You know an album or soundtrack is good when somebody describes it as "This track is my favorite... and this other track is also my favorite... and oh yeah, these other three tracks? ALSO my favorites."

• 2Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
So, clearly a lot of work has gone into this, and it is great that this is a flagship product with all new sound, music and graphics and high production values.

That said, a lot of me is nostalgic for the older tracks, which have been in the series since AoW1 (which I still have). Is there a chance of the older tracks being included in the game (apologies if this is answered somewhere and I have missed it).

AoW3 has a mod that adds the older games tracks in to its mix, so there may be a similar one for AoW4 so you have ALL the musics!

Reactions: