Dev Diary #116 - Agrarian Research Techniques

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Wokeg

CK3 Experienced Game Designer
Paradox Staff
May 14, 2018
116_EyesLeft.png

116_EyesRight.png

... Anyone watching? No? Good.

Ok, just you and me. Great, because I've only got a few wee lil morsels today and I don't want to share them with too many people. So let's all just keep this quiet and, if anyone asks, the dev diary was about how we research thirteenth century agrarian techniques in rural France. Got it? Good.

I want you to tell me what this historical character...
116_Char1.PNG

... this historical character...
116_Char2.PNG

... and this historical character all have in common.
116_Char3.PNG

Figured it out? Yes? No? Waiting for someone else to scan through every character in the game before you hazard a guess? Ok, well, to be a bit fairer, it's got something to do with this:
116_ListCensoredv2.png

The list includes all the interactions in a particular category. You would not see all of them at the same time like this.
:D This has nothing to do with Wards & Wardens.

Finally, none of them are directly connected to this chap:
116_Char4v2.PNG

Alright, that's all I've got for you today, but I expect to be going over that list again soon. And in detail. If anyone asks, remember: rural France, agriculture, thirteenth century, yada yada.

Till next time!

• 100Like
  • 45Haha
  • 5Love
Reactions:
What I've gotten out of this is that we now have homework assigned to figure out who these *historical* characters are, then we can maybe, *maybe* figure out what interaction links them.

I imagine it's *possible* to find them, but a real pain to sift through all the various characters, especially if they're unlanded

There's more than one teaser in this dev diary, as it happens. More than two, even. Some might be more subtle than others...

• 13Like
  • 5Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
There's more than one teaser in this dev diary, as it happens. More than two, even. Some might be more subtle than others...
Three that I notice at a glance. Only agricultural techniques here. There are absolutely no hidden things in this developer diary.

I shall take a lean back and see when people notice what these characters have in common.

• 10Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
As far as the pictures go… they are all obviously agrarian serfs. Nothing to see here.

The body sizes don’t match the heads. I’d even hazard a guess the heads were pasted on (hands do match though), or else they are all dwarves. They all look like kid sized bodies.

The backgrounds look interesting. Hmm.

I'm not sure I can categorically rule out Big Head Mode, but I gotta say this isn't the speculation I was expecting

• 36Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions:
What I've gotten out of this is that we now have homework assigned to figure out who these *historical* characters are, then we can maybe, *maybe* figure out what interaction links them.

I imagine it's *possible* to find them, but a real pain to sift through all the various characters, especially if they're unlanded
It should be! They don't have pre-scripted DNA, so can't be cheesed that way, but the save was taken on release with zero script changes, so they should be visually findable for y'all.
None of them wear crowns, they are unlanded.
It would, usually, be rather difficult to get saves with unlanded characters in.
p*
  • Revoke title?
  • R*
  • L*
  • Sell titles?
  • S*
  • D*
  • R*
  • I*
  • S*
  • Designate heir?
  • O*
  • E*
  • Disinherit?
  • S*
Oh my, some good thoughts. I'd love to see what you think of the rest!
View attachment 949384 View attachment 949380

The fourth image looks like a list of "Personal" character interactions. The P[redacted] is italicised like "Personal" currently is in-game and the coin icon with S[redacted] matches the icon and "Send Gift" interaction that's currently in-game.

EDIT:

View attachment 949387

Ransom? Release prisoner? (it's the same icon as it currently used for "Imprison")

View attachment 949388

Disinherit? (taking a crown away)
Hmmm, I certainly follow your logic.
If the team can't discuss the DLC in more detail, could we PLEASE get more info on the content of the free patch?

I can't be the only person with CK3 in my Steam wishlist waiting for the base game features to get ironed out...
Probably not what you want to hear, but FWIW, two of the hints here are free patch-related.
No idea who they might be, so I'm gonna take a wild guess and say they all started as lowborn or landless and you are, against all odds and common sense, implementing landless play
^^' We are not. They are, indeed, landless, though not lowborn.
ngl. I'm actually disappointed this wasn't agriculture. It's what made me click on it, and all
:p I knew there'd be at least one.
Schemes.
DD is written as a plot entry, someone is explaining to you who are other plotters (first three historical characters). The list contains personal interactions (some of them could be schemes). The last character has a circlet, probably he is a target of a scheme. And of course, they don't have anything in common.
And all you've heard and seen here was medieval agricultural technology ;)
There is a scheme in the list!

... an agricultural scheme. About farming.

• 9Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I think the third one might be the son of Rurik of Novgorod in the 867 start date. He looks familiar but can't open the game at the moment. I think he's got the quick trait.
That + Rurik's "son" makes me think this is indeed about regency.
;) It's not Rurik's son.

Reactions:
See also below FYI Wokeg’s post about regency mechanics from about a month ago…I think I read it at the time to mean that regencies weren’t something on the radar just yet but, looking at it again, there’s nothing to indicate that they won’t in fact be part of the next update…

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/regency-how-to-best-implement-it.1566239/post-28740282
:p Such heartless insinuations about the nature of my character and the phrasing of my posts.
Is the Norse guy Oleg the Wise?
Nope.
Pupil interactions.
Sorry, but no.
The list of interactions can be a hint if we can match every currently existing one, then the unmatched ones would presumably be new interactions
;) These are all new interactions - varying from "that's a simple request" to mini-features, plus the one small scheme. I am very much looking forward to speaking about them in more detail at some point (hopefully) soon.
Not certain. Wokeg always jumps out from the bushes in when people talk about regencies. (Unless i am confusing them with another dev. Sorry, if that's the case!)
I do like me some regencies, it's true.

• 15Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
116_EyesLeft.png

116_EyesRight.png

... Anyone watching? No? Good.

What could the eyes at he beginning of the thread mean? Anyone found out yet?

116_EyesLeft.png

116_EyesRight.png
^^' They mean I find the forum's emoji variety to be woefully lacking.

• 25Haha
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
PDS_Noodle said that the DD contained two teasers, so the fourth guy may well be about something else entirely.
At least two. For what it's worth, the total number is 4, although technically I guess you could count it as 5.

Edit: whilst we're here, I'll say the three more obscure clues haven't even been picked up on for evaluation, from what I've seen.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The other backgrounds are:

throneroom_west
throneroom_east
fp1_throneroom_tribals
So close and yet not quite there.
Btw if someone is obsessive enough they could try to match possible interaction names to the size of the respective blacked out bars.
... not that I think ill of our dear community's obsessive attention to detail, but I did size the censorship bars accurately to the text they're obscuring specifically because I assumed someone would like to do that.

• 20Like
  • 10Haha
Reactions:
I think a lot of people voted for it for that reason - but I don't think Paradox ever said that W&W would include regency mechanics. In fact, they went out of their way to say that all of the options weren't really about mechanical additions.
Speaking personally, I was very scandalised that my beloved Love & Lust was voted down partially by a large number of people assuming that Wards & Wardens, specifically, would come with certain mechanics. An outrageous injustice.

• 20Haha
  • 8Like
Reactions:
this was regarding throneroom pictures

So the room with cages is a throneroom background? the screenshots are clearly taken in the main menu.
But who would have such a background? It's gotta be for some tribal kings, in a particular region?
Interesting - colder though, I'm afraid ;).
You could at least tell us which start date it is...
Sure thing: 1066.
Aren't dna random every update. So if you are using a dev build these character would look different
For many characters, yes. :) I took a save on an unchanged release version of CK3 so that the DNA would stay the same, then loaded it up on a dev build. Made these pictures a bit easier to take.
First one's a Spymaster
Certainly the spymaster animation, that.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Jokes aside I would really love to see agriculture be expanded upon like food supplies in general. Something to split development into population and economical output maybe, a big population doesn't equal high economic output all the time but they need food, it would be nice to see it lower in war especially if sacked and farm can produce food for faster growth of population. Though this may be needed in a plague update, I would love to see it.
Honestly, I'm actually really pleasantly surprised with the small but notable number of people here who've said they'd genuinely really like more agricultural content. :) It's always good to be able to point to this type of thing when discussing future plans, and though I'm definitely not in the Add Pops to CK3 camp that's occasionally chatted about on the forums, I am pretty interested in the type of thing you're talking about here - mechanical consequences to agrarian societies for lengthy wars, a more flexible representation of prosperity than the development system currently gives us, and economics that are a little more detailed without going full trade-sim.

I've also always felt that, especially for minor land-owners where it would be a more pressing concern, it'd be neat to have more content related to bad or good harvests sweeping the realm, boons from the advance of agricultural techniques, changing global temperatures, and so on. ^^' Though I don't think we'd ever do a DD on agrarian science research, I wouldn't be complaining if I was in a position where I had to write a DD on a handful of new agricultural mechanics and events.
At first I thought, the reference to the thirteenth century was linked to agricultural advances. But if we depart from the supposition that this dev diary is not actually about agriculture, but that it is a code or something, then I wonder what the "thirteenth century" reference means.
:p Thirteenth century is best century, that's all. Edward I, Ban Kulin, both the Latin Empire and Michael VIII, the list goes on. It's a fascinating era in history and I really wish we had a bookmark in it. Or two, or three.

... sadly I think 1200s bookmarks are far down the bookmark prio list, after our fan favourites in 936 & 1081. I guess there's 1187, which is close but suffers from a chronic case of Richard the Lionheart being alive.
Is this just an artifact from the CK3 devs borrowing CK2 code? Or does the comment suggest that at some point during CK3's development a 1220 start date was on the table - a bookmark that was ultimately cut but will make its return with the next expansion?
Though CK3 generally doesn't include reused script from CK2 (except for some of the loc of the health events, I believe), the major exception to that is our history files. They're not 1:1 the same, as CK2 continued development for a while after CK3 started up (which is partially why late history changes introduced into CK2 sometimes aren't present in CK3, though there's also sometimes a deliberate design choice there too) and CK3's done a decent amount of redevelopment and revamping since, but you'll find a lot of crossover from that shared heritage.

The biggest part of that is CK3 retaining the post-1066 history, even though we don't have a post-1066 bookmark. As far as I'm aware, sadly, there was never a 1200s bookmark on the table, but there were (and still are from some members of the team) hopes to have some specific later bookmarks at some point in the future.

• 17Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 23Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
The first looks like a spymaster by his pose, the second like a noblewoman, the third noble nord and the last one a english king
A spymaster pose? With his feet showing so garishly? The very idea.

• 10Haha
Reactions:
That was my earlier guess as well, but I didn't see a dev response suggesting we were on the right track...

I'll go with this hypothesis now: the first three characters have in common that they wear leather shoes, while the fourth character wears some kind of chainmail boots.

If he were at least wearing sabatons, then I'd take it as a hint that there will be a Sabaton soundtrack....

You're gonna kick yourself when you find out!

• 8Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions: