• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #115 - Monumental Foundations

Hello and welcome to this dev diary where we will be looking into some new map visuals that’ll be added in the future. As the team grows, we’ve had the opportunity for our new artists to warm up by sprucing up the map a little. Among the things we’ll show off today, chief is the Canterbury Cathedral and its evolution over time: made by our new Environment artist Joel, who’s written about his process and the research involved.

Building a Monument – Canterbury Cathedral​

The Original Church - Tier 1​

When creating the first tier of the Canterbury Cathedral, which references the Anglo-Saxon church extant in the 867 & 1066 start dates, it was important to acknowledge the lack of available visual reference material. Historically speaking, the Anglo-Saxon church was burnt down in 1067, but we do have some conceptual renditions and blueprints of the estimated building layout to work from, courtesy of the archeologists (our heroes).

blueprint1.png
blueprint2.png

Sometimes luck strikes and blueprints or estimated ones can be found.

From this, I created a fairly basic interpretation of the church that serves well as the first/starting stage for the Canterbury Cathedral. Additional geometry, like pillars and an external house, was added to the building to create a more compelling in-game silhouette.

tier1.png

The original Anglo-Saxon church - Tier 1

The Norman Cathedral - Tier 2​

After the first fire, a second church was built in its place, distinctively making use of the Romanesque style. As we move forward in history, more references become available, and fortunately the church foundations are described as rather similar to the church of today. The more significant differences to modern Canterbury Cathedral are, for example, the front and main towers: they are still Romanesque.

tier2.png

Canterbury Cathedral - Tier 2

Romanesque and Gothic
If this happens to be your first time coming across these terms, some explaining might be in order. Romanesque and Gothic are two styles of architecture which defined buildings and churches throughout the Medieval era. Romanesque, the older of the two, emerged sometime around the year 1000 and lasted until around 1150. It’s a style arising from and defined by Germanic, Byzantine and old Roman influences, favoring circular Roman arches and a more solid-looking facade compared to later churches.

lessay.png

Romanesque Abbaye de Lessay

From the Romanesque emerged the Gothic in the 12th-13th centuries. In Gothic architecture, Roman arches find themselves replaced by Gothic ones; we also see elaborate ribbed vaults, towering flying buttresses, and church interiors brightened by large stained glass windows.

chartres.png

Chartres Gothic Cathedral

Modeling
I technically started with the third tier of the structure of the Canterbury Cathedral, rather than the second tier. Because we work with modular pieces and texture atlases, I find it easier to work from the complete cathedral, then remove any additional geometry. It also meant that the last tier would have most of the same layout as the modern cathedral, minus some of the later additions.

modular.png

Modular pieces used for building the Cathedral

With the modular pieces ready, it was then just a question of assembling the cathedral.

The Gothic Cathedral - Tier 3​

We could see in the final version of the Cathedral that a lot of areas had been raised since the time of the second, so I simply made minor tweaks to the height of some walls and roofs, while preserving the original UV. The back of the cathedral had also been extended and rebuilt, with the addition of two new structures. The south-west tower was rebuilt, but not the north-west tower as of yet: that happened later historically.

cathedral.jpg

The cathedral with the towers in the front. The main tower however was a new construction past CK3’s timeline.

tier3.png

Canterbury Cathedral - Tier 3

The third tier takes on a Gothic style, with flying buttresses along the length of the cathedral, and it also puts a golden angel on the pinnacle of the main tower.

Basing and Decal
In order for us to be certain that our holdings will be placed correctly on the map, we extend the ‘basement’ of the mesh into the ground to accommodate for the map’s height differences.
This ensures we have no areas free flying in the air. Usually this is a bigger issue for holdings than monuments, as monuments have a single specific place on the map where they exist.

decal-texture.png

Decal texture in Substance Painter

We also create decals that show a more interesting ground variation around the structure. In my case, I painted out some roads to give life to the area. Some color variation to the grass to better blend in with the rest of the map, and darker areas where the cathedral would be located. The decal plane is on average twice the size of our building.

tiers1-3.png

Anglo-Saxon church , Romanesque Cathedral, Gothic Cathedral T1 - T2 - T3

After all the buildings were done and I was happy with the progression from tier 1 to tier 2 and tier 3, I could finalize the UV’s. We use two UV maps to layout the textures: one is for the ambient occlusion that we bake in, and the other for the texture atlas. The texture atlas lets us reuse textures to save on performance. I did the baking in marmoset with a low poly to low poly set up. Normally you have a high poly to bake down to the low poly mesh, but I was only after the ambient occlusion.

Bonus Bridge Update​

A new set of cultural stone bridges will be added over the world, replacing some of the old wooden bridges and overall making it a bit clearer where the safer river crossings are. We will be adding a total of four standard bridge types, for Western Europe, the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and Indian regions.

bridges.png

These bridges have been based on historical examples sampled from these regions. The Western and Mediterranean bridges are based on arched bridges from Europe, with the appropriate local flairs. The Middle Eastern bridge is based upon Sassanid designs like the Marnan and Kohneh bridge, among others, and are mostly found in the regions around modern Iran and Iraq. The Indian bridges take their inspiration from the Athernala bridge in eastern India.

• 155Like
  • 42Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Is this what the next major DLC is going to be? Monuments?

Also, how will bridges on borders work? It would be pretty jarring if upon conquering some Italian region as England say, if all the bridge designs suddenly changed over night. But equally, it would be weird if I conquered a place early on and kept it for 500 years of gameplay, if their bridge-building style didn't change to become closer to mine at all.

• 21Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I hope we may finally know the theme of the expansion in the next weeks/months
This seems to confirm some headcanon even more, but I will definitely be surprised - Royal Court was very surprising to me at least

• 4Like
Reactions:
I have to admit, i am not often zoomed in, so i don't particularly pay attention to these details, but i still like the behind the scenes look of how stuff like this is made. :)

I find the speculation on the next DLC based on this post kind of weird, to be honest.
Could it be monuments? Maybe, but there is literally zero hint that this is anything more than polishing up the immersion factor as an onboarding task for new staff so they get used to the toolchains and work flows.

• 28Like
Reactions:
Interesting. Right now, I believe Canterbury Cathedral is just a generic holy site, with only a single level of monument (i.e., built or unbuilt).

This presumably means it is being expanded to be a unique building with multiple tiers, all holy site buildings get multiple tiers, or they are making the graphics style for it change more with either time period or culture.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Guys, you know I'm fairly critical of the direction the game seems to be taking, but for this, I really only have one thing to say.
And?
Thanks for your constructive contribution.
I am sure responses like this will motivate the devs to engage more with the community and spend time on the forums to listen to their ideas.

• 13Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This all looks great, but I am getting slightly worried that the next DLC will focus on Monuments, which I think is probably the least interesting possible avenue to explore. I hope it's something else!

Just Monuments would be rather bland, yes, but also reworking monuments to be more meaningful would be good, and probably not take up too much time compared to mechanics/event programming.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I find the speculation on the next DLC based on this post kind of weird, to be honest.
Could it be monuments? Maybe, but there is literally zero hint that this is anything more than polishing up the immersion factor as an onboarding task for new staff so they get used to the toolchains and work flows.

Hitting the nail on the head, this was pretty much a warmup task for our new hire where he got to work on monuments as well as giving us an opportunity to flesh out an existing monument.

Interesting. Right now, I believe Canterbury Cathedral is just a generic holy site, with only a single level of monument (i.e., built or unbuilt).

This presumably means it is being expanded to be a unique building with multiple tiers, all holy site buildings get multiple tiers, or they are making the graphics style for it change more with either time period or culture.

Indeed, this is a bit of an experiment into multi tier monuments, there's a sparse set that's had this previously, like the Hagia Sophia that can be upgraded if captured to have minarets.

Just Monuments would be rather bland, yes, but also reworking monuments to be more meaningful would be good, and probably not take up too much time compared to mechanics/event programming.

Its a small in between tasks thing we're working on, and there shouldn't be a worry that this is all we are working on, the environment team has had some extra time to work on this while the others have been busy with other things. The next DLC wont be an old school monument pack like in CKII or EUIV :p

• 111Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
As someone who's very keen for the CK3 team to move to a Stellaris-style "more, but smaller" approach to dev diaries, this sort of thing is exactly what I'm talking about.

Good work - and welcome to the team Joel!

What will trigger the model change? Date? Technology of the owner? Player "investing" in the Cathedral?

Last edited:
  • 38Like
Reactions:
If we get monuments how about more clothes? No plate armor in a medieval game... Hmm.
I think it could be interesting as well to have a more detailed map since it seems sort of basic.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Also, how will bridges on borders work? It would be pretty jarring if upon conquering some Italian region as England say, if all the bridge designs suddenly changed over night. But equally, it would be weird if I conquered a place early on and kept it for 500 years of gameplay, if their bridge-building style didn't change to become closer to mine at all.

Maybe tied to the county's culture?

That'd allow the bridges to change over time - but avoid the sudden change you mention.

• 14Like
Reactions:
OK. This is a nice Starter Diary.

Finally some Information. The mechanics that I imagine in the head will be legendary.

No. But Updates of Monuments are nice. Hopefully there will be a system like in CK2 in the Future.

• 4Like
Reactions:
As they were hinting travels and probably pilgrimages for the next DLC, some monuments on the map makes sense. No matter what is the DLC good job and thank you to the artists who have worked hard on this Canterbury reconstitution.

• 20Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Maybe tied to the county's culture?

That'd allow the bridges to change over time - but avoid the sudden change you mention.
That was my hope too. You probably still get some sudden shifts but not as many.
I'm trying to recall if there are any bridges between counties though because that suddenly becomes not quite as nice in how you decide the model. And of course, the more complicated it is, the easier it is for there to be bugs.

• 2Like
Reactions:
There was a whole thread with people complaining about no dev diary last week (hey, I get it, I too was disappointed and want to know where the game is heading). The devs said filler dev diaries had been poorly received by the CK community in the past, hence why they were wary of doing any. Posters said filler dev diaries are fine, actually, just give us something. And of course, most early responses to this thread are people complaining that this dev diary doesn't have more information.

I'm really glad I don't work on this game right now, is what I'm saying.

• 60Like
  • 9Haha
Reactions: