• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #115 - Monumental Foundations

Hello and welcome to this dev diary where we will be looking into some new map visuals that’ll be added in the future. As the team grows, we’ve had the opportunity for our new artists to warm up by sprucing up the map a little. Among the things we’ll show off today, chief is the Canterbury Cathedral and its evolution over time: made by our new Environment artist Joel, who’s written about his process and the research involved.

Building a Monument – Canterbury Cathedral​

The Original Church - Tier 1​

When creating the first tier of the Canterbury Cathedral, which references the Anglo-Saxon church extant in the 867 & 1066 start dates, it was important to acknowledge the lack of available visual reference material. Historically speaking, the Anglo-Saxon church was burnt down in 1067, but we do have some conceptual renditions and blueprints of the estimated building layout to work from, courtesy of the archeologists (our heroes).

blueprint1.png
blueprint2.png

Sometimes luck strikes and blueprints or estimated ones can be found.

From this, I created a fairly basic interpretation of the church that serves well as the first/starting stage for the Canterbury Cathedral. Additional geometry, like pillars and an external house, was added to the building to create a more compelling in-game silhouette.

tier1.png

The original Anglo-Saxon church - Tier 1

The Norman Cathedral - Tier 2​

After the first fire, a second church was built in its place, distinctively making use of the Romanesque style. As we move forward in history, more references become available, and fortunately the church foundations are described as rather similar to the church of today. The more significant differences to modern Canterbury Cathedral are, for example, the front and main towers: they are still Romanesque.

tier2.png

Canterbury Cathedral - Tier 2

Romanesque and Gothic
If this happens to be your first time coming across these terms, some explaining might be in order. Romanesque and Gothic are two styles of architecture which defined buildings and churches throughout the Medieval era. Romanesque, the older of the two, emerged sometime around the year 1000 and lasted until around 1150. It’s a style arising from and defined by Germanic, Byzantine and old Roman influences, favoring circular Roman arches and a more solid-looking facade compared to later churches.

lessay.png

Romanesque Abbaye de Lessay

From the Romanesque emerged the Gothic in the 12th-13th centuries. In Gothic architecture, Roman arches find themselves replaced by Gothic ones; we also see elaborate ribbed vaults, towering flying buttresses, and church interiors brightened by large stained glass windows.

chartres.png

Chartres Gothic Cathedral

Modeling
I technically started with the third tier of the structure of the Canterbury Cathedral, rather than the second tier. Because we work with modular pieces and texture atlases, I find it easier to work from the complete cathedral, then remove any additional geometry. It also meant that the last tier would have most of the same layout as the modern cathedral, minus some of the later additions.

modular.png

Modular pieces used for building the Cathedral

With the modular pieces ready, it was then just a question of assembling the cathedral.

The Gothic Cathedral - Tier 3​

We could see in the final version of the Cathedral that a lot of areas had been raised since the time of the second, so I simply made minor tweaks to the height of some walls and roofs, while preserving the original UV. The back of the cathedral had also been extended and rebuilt, with the addition of two new structures. The south-west tower was rebuilt, but not the north-west tower as of yet: that happened later historically.

cathedral.jpg

The cathedral with the towers in the front. The main tower however was a new construction past CK3’s timeline.

tier3.png

Canterbury Cathedral - Tier 3

The third tier takes on a Gothic style, with flying buttresses along the length of the cathedral, and it also puts a golden angel on the pinnacle of the main tower.

Basing and Decal
In order for us to be certain that our holdings will be placed correctly on the map, we extend the ‘basement’ of the mesh into the ground to accommodate for the map’s height differences.
This ensures we have no areas free flying in the air. Usually this is a bigger issue for holdings than monuments, as monuments have a single specific place on the map where they exist.

decal-texture.png

Decal texture in Substance Painter

We also create decals that show a more interesting ground variation around the structure. In my case, I painted out some roads to give life to the area. Some color variation to the grass to better blend in with the rest of the map, and darker areas where the cathedral would be located. The decal plane is on average twice the size of our building.

tiers1-3.png

Anglo-Saxon church , Romanesque Cathedral, Gothic Cathedral T1 - T2 - T3

After all the buildings were done and I was happy with the progression from tier 1 to tier 2 and tier 3, I could finalize the UV’s. We use two UV maps to layout the textures: one is for the ambient occlusion that we bake in, and the other for the texture atlas. The texture atlas lets us reuse textures to save on performance. I did the baking in marmoset with a low poly to low poly set up. Normally you have a high poly to bake down to the low poly mesh, but I was only after the ambient occlusion.

Bonus Bridge Update​

A new set of cultural stone bridges will be added over the world, replacing some of the old wooden bridges and overall making it a bit clearer where the safer river crossings are. We will be adding a total of four standard bridge types, for Western Europe, the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and Indian regions.

bridges.png

These bridges have been based on historical examples sampled from these regions. The Western and Mediterranean bridges are based on arched bridges from Europe, with the appropriate local flairs. The Middle Eastern bridge is based upon Sassanid designs like the Marnan and Kohneh bridge, among others, and are mostly found in the regions around modern Iran and Iraq. The Indian bridges take their inspiration from the Athernala bridge in eastern India.

• 155Like
  • 42Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Given the list of regions for bridges, Sub-Saharan Africa, Tibet, the Steppe, and norhern+eastern+maybe central Europe are all retaining current bridges?

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Money should motivate them, as larger and happier community will make them more money
How is passive-aggressively posting on every official thread going to help with that?
The devs are people, too. And constantly dealing with useless, demotivating, unconstructive comments like that is certain to have an adverse effect on everyone's shared goal of the devs being willing to invest time and effort into communicating with the community.

Sure, money should be a motivator for a company, but communication is a two-way street.
If you want someone to engage with you positively, it's not likely to happen if you are going into the conversation openly hostile.
That doesn't mean you can't criticise (i have my own share of criticisms of the game), but passive-aggressive comments that are not even specifically criticising anything in any way just turns this whole forum into a toxic mess that neither the devs nor i want to participate in. That's the essence of toxic forum culture.

We see in other PDS titles (mainly Stellaris) how much these games benefit from community interaction and we've seen the CK3 devs massively ramp up their communication from the start of the year. But that's a process. Demotivating them now, when they are clearly making an effort to improve is absolutely counterproductive - and quite frankly stupid.

No amount of enraged screaming at someone will make them want to listen to you more in the future. Basic empathy should get you that far.

• 8Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Good developer diary, I would love to see more models for unique buildings in-game as well as potentially more relevant unique buildings (with flavor relevant to them). For example, it would be great to add/model the Florence Cathedral with a decision for Commissioning The Dome after a certain point of progression (tier system really works well for buildings like this), with a chosen character facing similar engineering struggles as Filippo Brunelleschi in the construction of the Florence Cathedral dome. Existing unique buildings I'd like to see given models include The University of Siena and the Great Mosque of Samarra.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Please, PLEASE tell me it's gonna be a whole Great Works DLC and not just new models for existing stuff...
If anything, I'd gladly pay for my elephant and horse troops to get an actual in-game model. not for a Canterbury or whichever other reskin that I likely won't even be able to build anywhere else.

I don't think I've ever even directly held Canterbury on my 3000 hours of gameplay.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So the people who guessed from the earlier teaser art that this was a pilgrimage DLC were right, since Canterbury Cathedral was a prominent centre of pilgrimage. That gives me at least one idea that I hope to write up in the Suggestions forum. [EDIT: Just read the later dev post, seems I was wrong.]

I enjoyed this DD showing how the art is made.

The bridges are a nice touch and maybe we'll be able to use them to notice cultures spreading. I think the map is underused in all the current GSGs (except maybe V3) as a means to convey information. I have been playing with the ObfusCKate mod which obscures most information outside your domain, so the only information you have about your neighbours/enemies/allies is looking at their castles and armies on the map. It's really made me pay more attention to the map.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ugg I get the distinct feeling everything about the next big DLC is hinting at very involved pilgrimages with your characters location represented.

I can't stress enough how little I care for this direction of DLC.

it's like tackling a small game gap in the gmae mechanics that sure, could be nice but just ignoring the gaping chasms in the other game mechanics as usual.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It would be really cool if one of the new things is more of an incentive to try to take and develop Holy Sties. Right now all they really do is provide small passive buffs and are only really important if you're trying to make your own religion or if you're an unreformed pagan.

I can already see something like two families having a long-running feud over who gets to be wardens of a major cathedral.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It would be really cool if one of the new things is more of an incentive to try to take and develop Holy Sties. Right now all they really do is provide small passive buffs and are only really important if you're trying to make your own religion or if you're an unreformed pagan.

I can already see something like two families having a long-running feud over who gets to be wardens of a major cathedral.
Cool idea.
Part of that could be that your entire dynasty gets a claim to a holy site for as long as you owned it after losing it. (regarding holy sites of your religion - if the other dynasty members also have that religion)
Even better if all dynasty members with a claim could be called as allies. (if they like you or hate the current owner - same goes for the active defender, obviously)

So you could have two dynasties constantly battling over the holy site - until one dynasty has failed for so long to take it back that they lose their claim.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
when? why does it takes so long? i understand that they dont want to rush but if they are going to release the dlc in q1 they shoud have strated showing some content i think
4 weeks before launch is when they start showing stuff. There's still a bit time left in Q1.
Personally, I'd prefer it if they'd tell us what's coming at least. I don't even need to see anything. I just want to know what it is that I'm supposed to be looking forward to. Waiting almost a year for Royal Court wasn't super fun but at least I knew what I was waiting for. I guess not a lot of people feel the same way, which is why the devs choose to do things differently now.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Boy oh boy I sure love 3D models. Models and pictures. The bread and butter of a video game.

Gameplay? What is that? Can it be expressed in repeatable events?

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
A nice little dev diary I wanna say "Thank you!" for; the visuals look very pleasent :) And yes, I'm waiting for game play additions and bug fixes as well...and still I can enjoy this one. It can't be said often enough that working on visuals does not mean that something else is depriorized; different people are doing different things in the development team - and for me the artists are welcome to showcase their creations as well. @ the entire dev team: Keep up your work and don't let yourself get discouraged from the doomsayers; the latter may cry louder, but they are not the majority as one can just see when counting the DD reactions.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A nice little dev diary I wanna say "Thank you!" for; the visuals look very pleasent :) And yes, I'm waiting for game play additions and bug fixes as well...and still I can enjoy this one. It can't be said often enough that working on visuals does not mean that something else is depriorized; different people are doing different things in the development team - and for me the artists are welcome to showcase their creations as well. @ the entire dev team: Keep up your work and don't let yourself get discouraged from the doomsayers; the latter may cry louder, but they are not the majority as one can just see when counting the DD reactions.
Agreed. I really don't understand this idea that graphics and gameplay are somehow diametrically opposed.

Reactions:
im guessing its no coincidence that ck2 dev diary 115 was the great works / monuments update and same with ck2's 115th dev diary. still though, its kinda interesting to see how the games dev speeds are so different. ck2's dev diary 115: talks about adding an entire monument system, with multiple stages, additions, events and such surrounding them, and them all having 3d models was a given. ck3 dev diary 115: rambling about 3d models for a single building and some bridges (which im guessing will clunkily change instantly if the county or ruler culture changes, since you know, that definitely happened the nanosecond a county had a change in cultural identity.). and ck2 had already added standing armies, a full Byzantium rework, a full Islam rework, (ik they weren't playable before that, but id rather not be able to play a type of country then have them play basically identical to every other one), full pagan rework, full Catholicism rework with cardinals, antipopes and such, a full indian rework, complete with castes and more flavour for india, adding playable republics that play completely different to feudal or iqta, and they were not far off from releasing Charlemagne by this point in its development, which added viceroyalities, an entire new start date, reworked regencies and more. ck3 in that time has gotten a viking pack (which was pretty good), a overpriced glorified event pack with royal court, a chess match request spam dlc (jokes aside, struggle for Iberia was alright), and a non glorified event pack. I get royal court threw things for a loop by being unexpectedly hard to develop, but come on.

Reactions:
Bridges are currently for the foreseeable future basing their look on their geographical regions.

The ability to build them and change them over time are interesting, though we'd probably want to make that a proper system if we expand further on bridges in the future. Currently they play a part of geographic features that might need to be part of planning army movements, and the ability to build or destroy them would be a larger kind of action/system needed.

But monumental bridges that were mentioned earlier in the thread is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind.

Adding to that, it could be a great opportunity to include building roads and upgrading them when you ever make a trade system. Bridges could be part of that. I see potential, i.e. when you try to steal your neighbours trade by offering a shorter way over the river.

Leaves even the Viae Romanae, or the tech to build streets of that quality, as a possibility. The street network was probably one of the most impressive monuments the Romans ever built. It almost feels like a waste to not have it present in the game in some capacity.

• 6Like
Reactions:
i mean, this is more the age of chainmails innit? late medieval 'plate' is something that goes below the gambeson. the full plate people think of is an eu4 era development i think.
The War of the Roses (only 40-50 years after the end of CK3) is a period with more or less full plate armour.

This is late 14th century armour, which would be recognisably plate armour, albeit transitional.
late 14th knight.png

• 2Like
Reactions: