• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Last week I talked about some of the free features we're putting into the upcoming patch 2.1 (i.e. the free parts of the Rajas of India expansion.) This time, I thought I'd round that off, and next week we will finish this cycle of dev diaries with a Q&A thread!

Why not start off by talking about the promised revised decadence system that people have been clamoring for since, well, the release of Sword of Islam? Admittedly, there were many issues with Decadence; for example, the fact that all unlanded men of your dynasty generated decadence regardless of their virtue, which is strange and unrealistic. Gameplay where you automatically tend to imprison your relatives if you cannot give them land is also repetitive and, again, not very realistic. So the system needed revision, and now was the time to do it. With the new system, only characters with the new Decadent trait actually give decadence to your dynasty. Landed characters are less likely to pick up the trait, as are Zealous, Diligent and Just characters, etc. The net effect is that decadent characters are rarer but have a greater effect than before. To make it more interesting, we've removed the free imprisoning of dynasty members for Muslims. Instead, you get a chance to convince Decadent characters to straighten up. The outcome depends on your own attributes and those of the target character. If you're diplomatic, for example, he might be easier to convince. If you're learned, you might get him to go on the Hajj, which will automatically remove the Decadent trait, and so on. If you fail, you do get a reason (i.e. no opinion penalty with vassals) to imprison the character, as a last resort.

ck2_RoI_dd_06_Revised_Decadence.png

Another issue with the decadence system was that it did not really serve to encourage you to land your relatives; you just imprisoned them instead. Thus, in the event where a close relative asks you for a title, there is now a risk that he might start an adventure against you if you refuse, and this is likelier in Muslim realms. Lastly, we've increased the fracturing effects of losing a decadence revolt a bit more.

Ok, so that's the new Decadence system, which is fairly unrelated to the general theme of the expansion (although it should now be more interesting to play as a Muslim, with India to your east...) A change that was absolutely necessary with the bigger map, however, was a form of diplomatic range. We did not want Irish counts marrying Indian princesses, etc. Thus, we added a distance threshold for most diplomatic interactions, as well as for councillor jobs. It's a simple enough change, and the range also happens to be precisely right to stop Norse pagans from marrying West Africans (a pet peeve of many people, since the religions are both in the pagan group.)

ck2_RoI_dd_06_Diplo_Range.png

What else have I got for you? Oh yes, the Steam integration stuff. We've added support for Steam Workshop and multi-player matchmaking, just like we have in Europa Universalis IV. (I predict the big mods will have some issues to sort out, however, since there seems to be a file size limit in Steam Workshop.) In a similar vein, we've also added Borderless Windowed mode. For those who don't know what that is, it's basically that the game is actually running in windowed mode, but it appears as fullscreen, so you don't have to tab out of the game; other windows can be open in front of it.

ck2_RoI_dd_06_Steam_MP.png

Since the save game converter to EU4 is a long-time commitment, we are of course going to support converting your very own India to EU4 as well. Jainism is thus a new religion in EU4, etc.

ck2_RoI_dd_06_867_EU4_Jain.png

That's about it! There are tons and tons of other improvements, of course, but you can ask about them when we post the full change log for the Q&A thread next week.

ck2_RoI_dd_06_867_EU4.png

How does diplomatic range change with the size of your realm? If the caliph in the screenshot counquered Asturias, would he be able to negotiate with people in Britannia (assuming they had anything to negotiate about)? It would be frustrating for, say, a reformed Roman Empire based in the City of World's Desire to be unable to declare a reconquest on the far parts of the empire (or marry a princess over there if you had conquered everything in between).

What actions are possible beyond the range (ransoming/releasing prisoners and making peace were mentioned during the stream, but are there more possibilities)? Does religion have an impact, or would a Catholic splinter kingdom in India be unable to negotiate with the Pope? Can a vassal near one border negotiate further in his direction, or is everything decided by the capital of the top liege?

Also, does the range impact plots, or can we still ask people to plot against people on the far side of the map? Related to this, what happens if we kill Timur or Seljuk (or if a courtier does it for us because of religious or cultural reasons)? Do we get the "Timurid" invasion led by the Randomids, or does something else happen (it would be annoying if the invasion did not happen because Seljuk was a good marshal who was killed because someone wanted that post)?

On a side note, will e_timurids ever be changed so that it switches to dynastic names if another dynasty takes the title like East and West Francia for non-Karlings (or be purely dynastic like k_seljuk_turks)? It is somewhat odd to see the Timurids keep that name if Timur dies without a dynastic heir before his first invasion is over.

What about Baltic/Slavic pagans and West Africans?

More importantly, given that pagans can't marry non-pagans, who are my (hypothetical) West African pagan characters going to marry now? Are they effectively limited to fellow West Africans only?

Hmmmm, looks like playing a West African pagan just became a tad harder, unless the same religion requirement for marriage has been loosened a bit. Changing it to must be same religion or same culture group would make sense.

Diplomatic range for marriages? Update to the converter? Oh this is brilliant news! Thank you for recognising (and perhaps exploiting) the time sink CK2 and EU4 are, and the desperate need we have to carry good sessions from one game to the other.

Last week you said that you had added a button that allowed you to go straight to a persons murderer with a single click. I was wondering if you could do that with the plot button, so if you see a coutier is plotting to kill someone you can just click it instead of trying to find them manually.

I know this isn't the right place, but I would still like a combat modifiers trait in the character finders screen, especially when you are selecting commanders for an army. I would love for you to add this.

More importantly, given that pagans can't marry non-pagans, who are my (hypothetical) West African pagan characters going to marry now? Are they effectively limited to fellow West Africans only?

Hmmmm, looks like playing a West African pagan just became a tad harder, unless the same religion requirement for marriage has been loosened a bit. Changing it to must be same religion or same culture group would make sense.

Hm...maybe PI will enable some intermarriages by default now? (ie, West African <-> Sunni/Shia/whatever muslim; Slavic <-> Orthodox, not sure about catholic thou)

You mentioned in an earlier dev diary that naval AI and republics have been worked on. In the current status quo, one frustration with Republics that are in the 'east' (e.g.: Wali-Emir of Oman) is that they would inexplicably want to set up trade posts in places like Venice and Constantinople. With the new AI, do the republics tend to stick to one Ocean -- at least until you control Suez or land on both sides?

How moddable is decadence now? Can opinion modifiers be tagged to decadence for example? Also, can you modify the amount of piety required to make a family member straighten up?