• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Legacy of Rome will be released next week, so this dev diary will be the last of this cycle. Doomdark is busy hammering away at the game, so this week the honor of writing it falls to me. As he said last time, we'll finish off with some of the unique decisions, events and mechanics we've added to the Byzantine Empire in the DLC. Note that the following stuff is for the DLC, not the free 1.07 patch.

Succession in Byzantium works the same as in the rest of Europe, except for one thing. Children born to an emperor during his reign will get the ”Born in the Purple” trait, which gives them a stronger succession claim than any older siblings born before their parents ascended the throne. If you, as emperor, still want your gifted firstborn son as your heir instead of his snotnosed younger brother who had the good fortune of being born during your reign, infanticide is not your only option. Granting the Despot honorary title to your firstborn will rank him the same as if he had the Purple trait, and given his seniority in age, he will become your heir again.

View attachment LoR_02_ERE_Events.jpg

Ambitious emperors will no doubt try to reclaim some of Rome's former glory by restoring the Empire's lost territory. If they or their imperial vassals hold certain provinces, they will have the opportunity to restore the Roman Empire. This decision essentially signifies that the West has no choice but to accept the Byzantines as the true heirs of Rome's legacy. You will get a new title (complete with a new flag, of course), and the rulers of a restored Rome always get the ”Augustus” trait, which gives a slight boost to vassal relations. If you wish it, there is a decision to move your capital to Rome, though the city scarcely compares to Constantinople in this era so you will likely have to invest a lot of gold and time to rebuild it.

Another major decision, of course, is to mend the Great Schism between the Catholic and Orthodox churches. You will need to reunite the Pentarchy (Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem, Alexandria and Rome) under Byzantine and Orthodox rule and accumulate a great deal of piety. When this decision is taken, Catholicism will become a heresy and Catholic rulers across Europe will have to decide whether to convert or not. A few will refuse, and Europe will likely be plagued by religious unrest for some time, but the first step has now been taken to unite Christendom under a single church.

View attachment LoR_01_ERE_Events.jpg

As you have probably seen, Byzantine rulers can elect to blind or castrate their prisoners. This can be an efficient way of permanently crippling your rivals without executing them outright. Have an obnoxious brother that covets your throne? If he is blinded or castrated, he will be removed from the imperial succession, and you will have one less pretender to worry about. Just don't expect him to like you much afterwards.

Castrated rivals aside, eunuchs played an important role at the Byzantine imperial court, and from time to time one of them will distinguish himself enough to be brought to your attention. This eunuch will be very loyal to your ruler and quite skilled in his chosen field. When other lords turn their backs on you, you will usually still be able to depend on his service, whether it's as a skilled general or a gifted spymaster.

Other events you can expect to see are triumphs being held when you emerge victorious from decisive wars, unruly Varangians in the capital, Hippodrome races and much more.

View attachment LoR_03_ERE_Events.jpg

Finally, let me stress that this does not mean that we have created a supercharged Byzantine Empire that will always go on to dominate Europe as the Romans did before them. Skilled and dedicated players will be able to stage a miraculous recovery and recreate the borders of the Roman Empire and maybe even hold it all together afterwards, but we have naturally taken care not to upset the balance of the game. Just wanted to put that out there. :)

I don't see your point in regards to his. Would you not agree that the Pope and the HRE historically would have like to end the schism and thus bring total legitimacy to them? Certainly the Popes of the period would have relished the chance to end the schism by subjugating the Orthodox Church. The HRE isn't the successor state to Rome, but that wouldn't matter in the eyes of the Pope or the Emperor.

I would like to separate the ERE vs HRE debate from ending of the Schism between Orthodoxy and Catholicism within 'Imperial' Christianity, which also deserves a Catholic way to end the Schism. Furthermore it wouldn't really be subjugating, but more like having your view accepted by the other side.

Last edited:
But Orthodoxy exists well outside of Asia Minor -- why would the Rus' and Ethiopians disavow Orthodoxy (either branch) just because Byzantium had fallen, or even that a Catholic Roman Empire set up in its place? This did sort of happen anyway with the Latin Empire, and yet Orthodoxy did not disappear.

I don't think there's any real basis for it to be honest, whereas at least with Orthodoxy one can surmise that should Italy be reconquered by the Byzantines (complete with the Pope as a vassal; and one can assume that he may then be forced to 'convert') then Catholicism would then be in real trouble.

It all depends on the mechanics involved, though, as I'm pretty sure that both the Kaiser and the King of France would feel the need (either genuinely or politically) to pick up the Catholic mantle.

This whole thing makes me laugh. HRE successor to Rome! Charlemagne helped the pope out of a tight spot and the pope chose to tighten their ties even more by crowning him emperor. This happened because it was politically expedient at the time for the pope to take this action, there was no intention to create a successor realm. The intention was solely for the pope to gain a protector and an ally. Charlemagne's empire was a Frankish empire, not a Roman empire. The HRE was a Germanic empire, not a Roman empire. It might have suited Charlemagne's successors to claim political descent from Augustus, but they were nothing of the sort. They were the political descendants of Clovis, and if you ask me that's a pretty good place to start.

There's a certain kind of Western-orientated mindset that doesn't want to accept that other empires throughout the world were actually empires. The Chinese or Persian empires for example. It just all seems a little bit small-minded.

You misunderstand my intention -- I just want to make it so that you have the option in either the east or west. I am more a fan of sandbox and writing your own story than I am staying strictly adhered to realistic historical possibilities.

Byzantium, at this point in time, was already a shell of what Rome was -- while they certainly had a more direct descent, politically, from Rome (and indeed maintained that title), the HRE would almost certainly love the chance to fully legitimize his position as Emperor of Rome, in the eyes of the entire world, not just Catholics.

Similarly, if the Pope gained enough power, and Orthodoxy's patriarchs were weak enough (or heck, if he controlled the Pentarchy), he would have loved to force them to recognize Papal Primacy, and mend the schism of the church.

Last edited:
You can; in fact you can do what was done historically -- create the Latin Empire. :)
I know, as a further (very difficult to achieve) step, 'western restoration' should be allowed for the holders of the Latin Empire. :)

I know, as a further (very difficult to achieve) step, 'western restoration' should be allowed for the holders of the Latin Empire. :)

That's a good idea, although I don't really see why the HRE would transform itself into the Latin Empire when it already claims to be an Emperor. It would be nice if somebody could use the Latin Empire title to claim their own primacy as Rome, though.

That's a good idea, although I don't really see why the HRE would transform itself into the Latin Empire when it already claims to be an Emperor. It would be nice if somebody could use the Latin Empire title to claim their own primacy as Rome, though.
You must have the Latin Empire as your primary title, hence the AI would never do it for being itself an Empire it will never create another one (especially if titular).

Hence fot the sake of sandboxy playstyle, it's something essentially allowed to the human player, a challenge, and the human player of course can come up with his own narrative whatever the Christian character / country he plays with.

A rubbish question, but does anyone know how long after its release until Amazon starts to sell it themselves? I brought all of my DLC from there and I really don't want to buy it anywhere else.

You're a nice guy and I genuinely dislike having to disagree with you so vehemently, but that's total garbage. Several Anglo-Saxon kings labelled themselves emperors of Britannia (numerous Latin and/or Greek variations of that title) and managed to get Welsh and Scots rulers to swear allegiance to them on that very basis. William the Conqueror did the same thing, as did his son William Rufus after he'd conquered Cumberland and annexed it into England on the promise that the king of Scots would accept him as his liege lord and legal overlord of Britain.

But of none of this was Ireland a constituent element.

Imperial Reconquest actually works in ALL the former Roman empire. Just freed Northumberland from barbarian oppression! Senātus Populusque Rōmānus!

lol.jpg

Oooh Faeelin's going to love this. :happy:

Good. Forging a claim to some pissant county that's part of my alleged universal empire was quite silly. :p

Imperial Reconquest actually works in ALL the former Roman empire. Just freed Northumberland from barbarian oppression! Senātus Populusque Rōmānus!

Even assuming that a casus belli on such distant territories would be justified, they REALLY should require you to already have nearby territory. As is the Byzantine Empire can conquer Northumberland in 1066... :mellow:

I foresee weird outcomes from AI Byzantine Empire.

It's a bit silly but I prefer it this way. So long as I don't see AI Byzantines attacking England of course.

lol.jpg

Uh.

What.

I am a fan of sandbox gameplay, but that? That should not happen.

Meh, then it wouldn't let you attack italy or spain or Carthage off the bat.

Meh, then it wouldn't let you attack italy or spain or Carthage off the bat.

Well, to be honest, I expected it to be limited to Justinian reconquests (up to k_Italy and k_Africa, give or take), with the rest perhaps being 'Unlocked' if you Restore Rome through the DLC decision. But this works too, its not like the player has any incentive NOT to start with Tunisia/Sicily/Latinum.

Restored Roman Empire is associated with Italian culture in the landed titles file. Really? Such nonsense.

Easily fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.