• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, what do you know? It's Legacy of Rome dev diary day again! Today's topics are Liege Levies and Retinues.

In patch v1.07, you raise fewer, larger levies from your direct vassals (we call these "Liege Levies" for lack of a better term.) These levies are now handled separately from actual Holding levies; you only get regular holding levies from your own Demesne. The opinions of vassals of vassals are thus now mostly irrelevant; you only need to worry about the opinions of your direct vassals. Another benefit is that you don't get tiny little armies all over the place when you mobilize your realm. Liege levies also fix a fundamental balancing flaw in that you can no longer just keep raising little levies from all vassals as a war drags on (due to the portion of holding levies that was reserved for the liege.) The new Liege Levies do not reinforce at home while raised.

LoR_02_Liege_Levies.jpg

That's it for Liege Levies. Now, the concept of Retinues should be familiar to those of you who have played Sengoku. Basically, Retinues are your household guard; your elite core of professional soldiers. At the start of the game, most rulers are not able to employ Retinues, but it becomes possible as their total manpower (based on all the levies in their realm) and average Military Organization (a new technology) level increase. Over time, the Retinues turn into proper standing armies. The downside is that, as your Retinue capacity increases, your normal levies decrease in size. However, even at max tech, levies will still account for the majority of your armies.

There are many types of Retinues available for hire - including several unique cultural variants - though they always come in 500-man regiments with a commander of your own culture. Retinues reinforce in the field, like mercenaries, and when you first hire them, they start with 1 man. Unlike armies in other games, for example Europa Universalis, Retinues only cost maintenance while they reinforce. You are of course allowed to declare war even if you have Retinues (which are always standing on the map.)

LoR_02_Cataphract_Retinue.jpg

So, why did we choose to add the Retinue system to the DLC? Why should you spend $6 on Legacy of Rome rather than a Latte and a slice of cake? There are many reasons, including these:

• Retinues make arranging your flanks and balancing your armies far more tactical
  • Having a dependable standing army ready is strategically preferable
  • They fit nicely into the overall military system in patch v1.07 with Liege Levies, etc
  • History saw levy based militaries transform gradually into more professional forces

LoR_02_New_Retinue.jpg

I should mention again that the whole Retinue mechanic requires that you own the DLC; if you don't, the new Retinue tab will be grayed out in the military view and the AI will not use Retinues either. However, if the host in a multiplayer game owns the DLC, all players will be able to use Retinues.

I think that will do it for today. Next week, I plan to talk about the new Leader traits and cultural buildings. Until then!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious as to what will happen if I load a previous version save game that was saved during a major war with "tiny little armies all over the place"?

Nothing good. They will likely all be gone.

i want this now !

but one question, why do the characters have so dark skin colour, aren't they supposed to look like greeks/romans? in the portraits they look more arabian then the actual arabs.

i want this now !

but one question, why do the characters have so dark skin colour, aren't they supposed to look like greeks/romans? in the portraits they look more arabian then the actual arabs.

It's a work in progress, but I do agree.

wait, does this mean we no longer get the HRE raising a million troops anymore from the entire realm? great. just great.

also, if they only cost maintance cost while reinforcing, does that mean we finally get to do something usefull with our money late game? and what if theyre wiped ou to the last man? do we lose them? and any chance that those standing armies get a tad stronger than normal levies to simulatethem being expierienced killers?

Yes, but be aware that some old plots and similar will cease to exist when you load an old save in v1.07.

Oh, thank you. Looking forward to that. And, if it is allowed to say it, I`d like to add that CK2 is a really good, polished and replayable game that will keep me busy. Good work, indeed. *nods*

I forgot to ask but.
Does this mean that, for example as the HRE, I could park a 2k retinue on top of the independent count north of me, wait till I have claims, then declare ware and have them besieged, all without using up my men or money (since they only cost money if they're reinforcing, and if your army is larger than a county's total levies the defenders won't sally forth)

Also, what about the Varangian Guard? Will they remain as vassal mercenaries?

o, and another question: it is already confirmed that fleets will just randomyl appear in a nearby tie if the capital of the liege isnt next to water. what if his capital is under siege/occupied? does the army appear in a "safe" tile? and will it mean that if i give the duke of munster the duchy of jeruzalem as well that i can teleport armies ove rthe map?

I forgot to ask but.
Does this mean that, for example as the HRE, I could park a 2k retinue on top of the independent count north of me, wait till I have claims, then declare ware and have them besieged, all without using up my men or money (since they only cost money if they're reinforcing, and if your army is larger than a county's total levies the defenders won't sally forth)

No, you can't have troops inside the target's territory.

Also, what about the Varangian Guard? Will they remain as vassal mercenaries?

Yes.

Mr. Doomdark how far does the maintenance cost balloon to when retinues reach near-peak sizes? Will they eventually become unsustainable unless we start holding a lot of cities?

Mr. Doomdark how far does the maintenance cost balloon to when retinues reach near-peak sizes? Will they eventually become unsustainable unless we start holding a lot of cities?

Well, they only cost maintenance while reinforcing. But, when they do reinforce, they are quite expensive.