• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New month, new dev diary! This time, let's talk about events. Does anyone remember the first Crusader Kings? Raise your hands, kiddies. Now, think back to the events in that game. There were loads and loads (and loads) of them, though they were not exactly verbose. CK was, in fact, very much an event driven game, and this remains true in Crusader Kings II; characters still gain and lose traits through events, random stuff happens to them, and so on. These are the basic, bread and butter type events, and they are still very succinct and to the point in CKII. They are written in first person and represent various occurrences in the life of the character. They are, however, not particularly immersive, and so, we have added two other classes of events; letter events and narrative events.

ck2_devdiary6_ss2.jpg

Letter events are a form of custom interaction between characters, and are, as the name suggests, presented in letter form. Functionally, there is no real difference between these and normal events, but they have a different look and feel to them. They are fairly common, though rarer than regular events, normally used whenever a character's choice in an event should trigger an event for another character in a different location.

ck2_devdiary6_ss1.jpg

Narrative events are very rare, occurring on average only once or twice per game, and are used to tell a kind of interactive story where the player choices can have unforeseen effects down the road. They have fairly lengthy texts, and, like letter events, a distinctive appearance. When one of these event chains kicks off, the player should be surprised, and should rarely get the same narrative again (and never in the same game.) Narrative events typically vary with character culture, and can have a bit of a mythical element to them (subjectively speaking, of course.)

ck2_devdiary6_ss3.jpg

All three event types will have many unique pictures and borders. We feel that the new events are more immersive without being more intrusive, and will bring characters to life in a way that was not possible in Crusader Kings. Until next time!

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

Is it just my imagination or are the male portraits now 3D? If so, would we be able to use 3d modelling software (or even facegen) to edit these?

Good question. The portraits seem to have taken a great leap forward!

I wonder how easy will it be to mod it, though...

Good question. The portraits seem to have taken a great leap forward!

I wonder how easy will it be to mod it, though...

Yes.. they certainly seem different than

attachment.php

Although the female portrait in the screenshot doesn't seem to have changed.

These new 3d portraits are less immersive in my opinion, but I figure there will be lots of advantages, like ageing by they year/decade instead of only 3 stages.

Last edited:

attachment.php

Although the female portrait in the screenshot doesn't seem to have changed.

These new 3d portrait are less immersive in my opinion, but I figure there will be lots of advantages, like ageing by they year/decade instead of only 3 stages.

Maybe they have seen that 3D models are easier to work with.

I shouldn't have looked at those pictures, now I'm twitching in anticipation. It's going to be a long time to twitch...

Looking good.
:cool:

Like King Duncan's idea at the beginning. Though that might be more of a mod thing.

i'm sure it wouldn't be much to have the response-text centred. e.g. "Okay" in the middle of the screen rather than at the left... but i'll mention it anyway.

Some minor ideas, which may or may not already be in the works. Or not worth the effort:

Event text: "Great news, [wife's-name] is with child!"

Have the response text possibly vary depend according to the character traits.
a) "Rejoice!" (for most normal characters)
b) "It better be mine!" (for suspicious types)

And maybe custom, realm-wide announcements for when a King has a firstborn (son). Those'd be important enough?

Is it just my imagination or are the male portraits now 3D? If so, would we be able to use 3d modelling software (or even facegen) to edit these?

It looks like flat 2D, with same 'layers' system like that from CK1 (but much improved of course). You can`t see any distorted textures (by shading/angle), or sharp edges of 3d models' polygons. 3D portraits would make sense if they were animated - with still images there`s no point to use 3d.

Shouldn't be bishop of Trent instead of count? I'm talking from ignorance.

I think they intended it to be so seeing as he has a mitre as headwear and is lord spiritual. Only guessing here but I guess it would make sense to restrict this to theological/church based characters, in the case of an empire, the bishops, archbishops or possibly patriarchs would be preferable (to a random qualified courtier) since you want to keep as many vassals happy as possible.

Shouldn't be bishop of Trent instead of count? I'm talking from ignorance.

I guess that depends on what title he got :) .... in CK1, you could grant your diocese bishop a bishopric (thus making him a bishop) or a normal county (thus making him a count).

Nice. About the Lord Spiritual: Others will have similar units, yes? As in Orthodox/Pagan/Muslim equivalents. Especially given the Jihadists. Don't think they'd sit around and hope provinces would decide to slowly revert back on their own. :)

Also curious about what the "High Priority - Low Priority" counters on top of the map represent.

The event window for Merry Men of Nassau? ...Absolutely gorgeous. I love it. :D

attachment.php

These new 3d portrait are less immersive in my opinion, but I figure there will be lots of advantages, like ageing by they year/decade instead of only 3 stages.

Seconded. Portraits are far, far superior to renderings. Despite the freakily Fremen blue eyes of this particular guy, that is (totally tempted to take out rivals with "Byzantine" assassinations while chanting "MUAD'DIB!"). ;)

I really hope they haven't set their sights on making it like that, even if they up the rendering quality by a lot. It'd still look out of place and feel all uncanny valley for most.

Edit: Heh. I forgot them referencing it in the original Dev Diary. It's really that obvious then. Here's to hoping there'll be some non-freaky blue eye colours in addition to the Arrakis' references. :)

Last edited: