• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Crusader Kings 3 Dev Diary #72 - Holding Court at Court in The Royal Court (in a courtly fashion)

Welcome comrades! In today’s dev diary, we’ll be taking a gander at a neat part of the upcoming expansion: Holding Court. Per the usual, I’ll preface this by saying that the court scene is a work in progress, the UI of the court scene is a work in progress, and the art generally is work in progress; we also have some missing animations and camera perspectives, so take all the images here with a grain of salt.

001.png

As with any medieval ruler, monarchs in The Royal Court are vain creatures. It’s not enough to control the largest or best-developed realm, you have to have the largest palace, the fanciest food, the most renowned courtiers, and so on: after all, what’s the point of taxing the masses if you have to live like a peasant anyway?

Sometimes, though, you can’t quite afford the fanciest feast, the latest fashion, or even just the shiniest artefact to spruce up your court.

When times are that hard, and you really need just _immediate_ distraction from the flaws in your life, it’s important to spend some time indulging those with lives even harder than yours. Like nearly everyone else. For times when you feel like slumming it amongst the weird and wonderful characters of your realm, you can Hold Court.

002.png

This repeatable decision lets you hear a number of requests from various characters, listening to petitioners seeking your aid and legal ruling on many subjects. They might be guests, courtiers, neighbouring rulers, vassals, spies, the odd bumbling peasant…

003.png

At present, you’ll receive three such petitioners each time, with all events delivered in the new courtly event style (though follow-up may be character events or similar).

004.png

Some choices are easy…

005.png

… some choices are hard…

006.png

… and some are just weird.

007.png

After you’ve made your ruling in each case, in addition to the effects of each turn, you’ll gain some court grandeur to bolster your overall supply. We’ve got just shy of a hundred or so of these events alone, so there should be a goodly amount of variety for most playstyles.

This system is something pretty dear to our hearts, as it models a task that would’ve been a pretty big part of the day-to-day for many rulers, and we’ve put a lot of effort into getting plenty of alternate events to keep it as varied as possible for as long as possible. We hope you find it a fun & proactive way to explore some of the smaller (and uhh, not so small) issues developing in your realm.

Small dev diary, but that’s all from me for the mo. As ever, I’ll be around in the comments for an hour or so to answer questions, but otherwise, see y’all next diary!

… Y’know what, let’s have a few more events to show off before we finish for the day.

008.png

009.png

010.png

011.png

• 138Like
  • 89Love
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Wouldn't worry too much: it's just one event that I thought was quite cool, amidst a swarm of others and available only to kings holding court. It shouldn't affect game balance much at all.
This makes me afraid you don't even see the issue - if AI holds court at all (and, if I understood everything up to this point correctly, they do) they will blob more in DLC-enabled game than in non-DLC-enabled, this isn't just about player. And this, in turn, suggests other strong effects can be hidden under "it's just one event... amidst a swarm of others".

Reactions:
This makes me afraid you don't even see the issue - if AI holds court at all (and, if I understood everything up to this point correctly, they do) they will blob more in DLC-enabled game than in non-DLC-enabled, this isn't just about player. And this, in turn, suggests other strong effects can be hidden under "it's just one event... amidst a swarm of others".
There's an easter-egg event that references Dwarf Fortress where you build a carp pond and a dwarf courtier falls in and gets eaten. Dozens of dwarves die to this event in every game. I don't think Paradox fully appreciates how often "rare" events fire over the course of a campaign.

• 8Haha
Reactions:
I feel like that title is a jab at everyone whining about how we hadn't seen any court development for the Court update. A good move, on your part: they'd probably take you to court for false advertising.

On a much more serious note, and one of absolute importance: does this mean we can arrange an entire 3D court full of Adamites?

• 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
"Oath of Fealty" makes me afraid that dynamics of large countries' covering the map will change too drastically between buyers and non-buyers of DLC. Free patch needs a corresponding (simpler) mechanics of vassalization.
We already have the character interaction to offer vassalization to a lower-tier neighbor or to swear fealty to a higher-tier neighbor. If they can find a way to share the "willingness to accept" calculation between the interaction and the event, there won't be any difference in who becomes whose vassal. Just a potential difference in how long it takes the game to sign a deal between two AI characters who are both willing to sign.

Reactions:
To be fair, Kocel should historically already be a vassal of East Francia at the start date, so maybe it's just an event writer doing his best to fix errors in the history files.

Look really neat. Is perhaps possible that you could either make people not show up in their battle armor - and if they do, then perhaps make it some more fancy stuff that just a surcoat and mail.

In either case, it would be cool if they were holding their helm instead of wearing it.

Also, the case with the "Dress me!" event, will they actually show up in region specific cloth if you choose the tailor to do that?

For the Dress Me event, I hope they actually do switch out clothing. I remember getting an event that involved me "getting new clothes" and I could choose between blowing a lot of gold on some great clothing, or spending only a little for some adequate clothing. No matter what option you pick, your outfit doesn't physically change.

I know, I can use the barbershop or whatever to pick a new outfit, but I really think your ruler's "default" clothing should change more depending on his accomplishments, prestige, your dynasty's splendor, etc. so your clothes change a few times throughout your ruler's lifespan.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will it be possible for modders to create even more rooms?

The dev's have truly broken new ground. Genre-bending. Now I just wonder how far it can be pushed......

It would be cool if other rooms/spaces like a Feast Hall, Armory, Gardens, Library, Chapel could be made. And to justify each space, different elements of CK3 could be expanded-upon.

Gardens: sway schemes, intrigue, and stress reduction could gain depth based on who you invite, interact with, and how much time you spend. They could also be highly customized.
Library: could deepen Learning gameplay with books, ancient texts, perhaps "old family records" found in a musty drawer in a neighbor's castle (claim fabrication!)
Feast Hall: instead of the game choosing who you interact with at a feast, you could choose a seating arrangement to suit your "social priorities" or honor certain guests. And your hunting trophies could go on the walls!

I'm not saying the developers have to do this. I know none of this is easy. I'm just wondering if there'll be enough flexibility for modders to roll up their sleeves and get rollin.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Changing the color of the realm is much easier than custom forms of address. And it is not something that can be scoped in at this point in development given that our time is already full until release.
Thanks for that insight @blackninja9939

I hope it's something you'll be able to keep an eye on as development goes on. We as players can trust you to be responsive on things like this as you have been in the past.

A quick suggestion regarding ease scope and speed with this one (from my non-programmer's perspective): A simple overwrite-able text string ability for now, like Stelaris ruler FoAs, like CK2 Holdings, and like CK3 landed titles.

Ex. (Remember, all holdings in CK2 were editable by the player):

InkedTribe_LI.jpg

For now we simply need the same ability for Forms of Address. Until a more permanent solution can be developed.

This is already possible in Stellaris, albeit to a limited degree. We would need it for all characters in CK3, not just our ruler.

0yommr907v131.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I would expect the titles to be bound to the culture and not the title (like the map colour or CoA) so it would probably be easier to tie it to the cultural rework
Yes, exactly. That is my suggestion as well. Please see the link in my signature. Would love to have your input in that thread.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
The 'Abbasid throne room looks a touch too Andalusi, but it's nevertheless thrilling to see some Islamic architectural features appearing in-game. However, it does look altogether rather ... bare.

The most gorgeous (and numerous) works of artifice in many an Arabic throne room - apart from beautfully stuccoed and painted walls, some extraordinary examples of which have been excavated from Samarra - were the textiles adorning them, a testament to the prodigious output of the tiraz textile factories. (This included seating: although the 'Abbasids certainly did have portable chairs and thrones of various sorts, the caliphs were also known to sit on a raised platform covered with farsh: quilts and cushions with beautiful designs, which constituted the customary Arab furnishings on which to recline. )

Hilal al-Sabi, although not a contemporary of what he described, wrote about the adornments of the caliphal palace complex in Baghdad during the reign of al-Muqtadir: these included 38,000 curtains of gold brocade with images of goblets, elephants, horses and camels, lions and birds; 22,000 carpets and runners in the rooms and corridors, halls and alcoves; and an ebony throne covered with the very finest brocade from Dabiq in Egypt, from which the caliph held court. Although it is likely that al-Sabi's report of the 'Abbasids splendour is vastly exaggerated in volume, it is impossible to deny the central role of textiles to that image of vanished glory.

Although cloth rarely endures through the centuries, we do have patterns and descriptions that allow us to envisage what all of this may have looked like. I feel that Arabic throne rooms should display a bounty of textiles in addition to the artifacts crafted from precious metals and carved crystal that have survived to our time.

• 4Like
Reactions:
The 'Abbasid throne room looks a touch too Andalusi, but it's nevertheless thrilling to see some Islamic architectural features appearing in-game. However, it does look altogether rather ... bare.

The most gorgeous (and numerous) works of artifice in many an Arabic throne room - apart from beautfully stuccoed and painted walls, some extraordinary examples of which have been excavated from Samarra - were the textiles adorning them, a testament to the prodigious output of the tiraz textile factories. (This included seating: although the 'Abbasids certainly did have portable chairs and thrones of various sorts, the caliphs were also known to sit on a raised platform covered with farsh: quilts and cushions with beautiful designs, which constituted the customary Arab furnishings on which to recline. )

Hilal al-Sabi, although not a contemporary of what he described, wrote about the adornments of the caliphal palace complex in Baghdad during the reign of al-Muqtadir: these included 38,000 curtains of gold brocade with images of goblets, elephants, horses and camels, lions and birds; 22,000 carpets and runners in the rooms and corridors, halls and alcoves; and an ebony throne covered with the very finest brocade from Dabiq in Egypt, from which the caliph held court. Although it is likely that al-Sabi's report of the 'Abbasids splendour is vastly exaggerated in volume, it is impossible to deny the central role of textiles to that image of vanished glory.

Although cloth rarely endures through the centuries, we do have patterns and descriptions that allow us to envisage what all of this may have looked like. I feel that Arabic throne rooms should display a bounty of textiles in addition to the artifacts crafted from precious metals and carved crystal that have survived to our time.
Unfortunately, I think there's only going to be four total court room styles, so we'll probably only get regionally generic ones that don't really represent any particular court or culture perfectly.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately, I think there's only going to be four total court room styles, so we'll probably only get regionally generic ones that don't really represent any particular court or culture perfectly.
Certainly, however the 'Abbasids were the original Muslim dynastic trendsetters, and many of the great Islamic states that came after were similarly saturated with textiles, from the Ghaznavids to the Mamluks. Every Islamic throne room should have more than one small, solitary rug.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm so happy to see Paradox putting effort on the graphic to increase the immersion. I hope others games will follow this path, it's so much pleasant for the eyes.
Can't wait to play this expansion, it feel like a new game!

• 1Like
Reactions:
100 events, you say? It's at least better than learning that yet another court chef is secretly a cannibal, but if one holds court fifty times, won't we have seen nearly all of them several times over?

I'm not saying it has to be much more right this instant, but could we see more variety added to court and lifestyle events over time?

• 7Like
Reactions:
I'm really glad to see there are over 100 events. I've been a little let down by the amount of content in this DLC so far but this really raised my hopes for how much this expansion will change gameplay rather than just add cosmetic features! I can definitely see this giving you more to do when not at war and so on.

Reactions:
Thanks for that insight @blackninja9939

I hope it's something you'll be able to keep an eye on as development goes on. We as players can trust you to be responsive on things like this as you have been in the past.

A quick suggestion regarding ease scope and speed with this one (from my non-programmer's perspective): A simple overwrite-able text string ability for now, like Stelaris ruler FoAs, like CK2 Holdings, and like CK3 landed titles.

Ex. (Remember, all holdings in CK2 were editable by the player):

For now we simply need the same ability for Forms of Address. Until a more permanent solution can be developed.

This is already possible in Stellaris, albeit to a limited degree. We would need it for all characters in CK3, not just our ruler.
Unfortunately there's a *lot* of data hiding behind that simple forms of address idea.

5 levels of title, potentially republican, religious, feudal, clan, and tribal; each coming in two sexes as well as singular and plural.

Some titles then have cultural or religious overrides associated with them as well.

Some titles also vary depending on if they're independent or vassals.

It's a lot deeper than it looks on the surface.

Reactions: