• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hey! This is my dev diary for my newly released Content Creator Pack: Train Stations! This pack contains 6 Train Stations, 6 Metro stations and 4 Transport Hubs!

In this dev diary I’m gonna take you through my process of making this pack, from conception to production and show off the cool parts that I think you’ll love!
But first, here’s a little bit about me: I am BadPeanut on the steam workshop and I’ve been creating assets and helping out with some mods since the launch of Cities back in 2015. I love the game and though I started out making train stations my biggest joy is to make functional and useful assets for everyone to use and that is where the core concept of this pack comes from.

My very first asset for Cities: Skylines was a train station from where I grew up! When I first started playing Cities I wanted to be able to recreate the cities I lived in and the modding capabilities let me do that! There’s something really satisfying about seeing the cims use your station, watching them follow the paths, wait on the platforms, get on and get off trains. I spend 80% of my testing time just staring at a fully functional asset - the first 20% actually checking it works and the rest just enjoying the cims zooming around. It can be very mesmerizing!

Looking back at my first asset I can say my ability to model and texture has drastically improved though I am still happy with how it ended up! - It goes to show that if you’re interested in modding, just take a chance, be kind to yourself and always try things out and test and play around. It’s how I got to where I am today, with a strong knowledge on how the game works and how the editor works - all from practice and problem solving.

1621712400211.png

My first asset, Suburban Train Station - uploaded less than 1 month after the game release in 2015.

What’s Included in the CCP:

As you know, Train and Metro are two separate types of transport so I wanted to make each set of stations have slightly different uses while still having overlapping functions so you can choose to go either train or metro (or both) if you want to. For those of you who are familiar with my workshop content, some tracks are now making appearances as official content! Some of them are new, and not seen before. All buildings are completely new and use the new station tracks!
This Content Creator pack adds 12 New Station tracks:

Train Station Tracks
  • Ground Island Platform Station Track
  • Ground Dual Island Platform Station Track
  • Ground Bypass Station Track
  • Elevated Island Platform Station Track
  • Elevated Dual Island Platform Station Track
  • Elevated Bypass Station Track

Metro Station Tracks
  • Below Ground Island Platform Station Track
  • Below Ground Dual Island Platform Station Track
  • Below Ground Bypass Station Track

And 16 New Transport buildings:

6 Train Stations
trains.gif

When concepting this pack I decided that Train Stations were going to have larger footprints and contain parking lots as they can be used for intercity trains as well as local train lines- with an outside connection cims would be able to drive to the stations and park to visit the external cities. This felt more realistic to me as train stations are often used as park and ride transportation in the places I grew up in.
The Train Stations can be placed adjacent to the roadside with the parking lots snapping to create intersections with that road (as seen in the above gif)

6 Metro Stations
metros.gif

I decided the Metro Stations would be more compact than the Train Stations on offer. They would also connect differently to the road network. I used sub buildings to make it possible to place the stations perpendicular to the roadside so that the disruption to the zoning grid would be minimal.
I really wanted the sunken Metro Stations to have more eye candy as well, instead of being totally underground and hidden, I decided to have them partly visible into the tunnel like stations so you can watch your cims board and the metro trains zip through.

4 Transport Hubs
hubs.gif

The Transport Hubs were the largest assets in the packs and the most complex to design. Configuring the paths of all the assets to make sure that all the possible pedestrian connections to each platform worked was the first week of the process - so I knew I had a working prototype for each asset. More on that process later…
The Transport Hubs needed a dedicated Metro hub, and dedicated Train hub and a mixture of the two and something heritage styled too. Each building in this pack uses the transparent shader for glass roofing and glass balustrades.

oldmarkethub.gif

Old Market Station

Development Process:

I will use the Metro Plaza Station Hub as a case study to take you through the development process for this pack.
MetroPlazaGif01.gif

Metro Plaza Station - Using New Below Ground Bypass Station Tracks and Below Ground Island Platform Station Tracks.

The first week of development was concepting and producing proof-of-concept assets that used the in game networks (pedestrian pathways) and the new station networks I put together. Here is a snapshot from making the new networks:
1621712532187.png

These are some of the new elevated metro and train station tracks (for editor use only)

The station networks did not take too much time as I made sure to reuse the same materials from the base game to save memory and putting together the meshes was a short enough task.
The complexity of the network layouts is another story and it took the majority of that week to plan them and place them in the editor and play test they all worked.
In order to do this I used a 3D modelling program to sketch out the networks, their lengths, node positions and connections.
1621712546586.png

3D Modelling software to map out network layout

I used these modeled lines to measure the distance from the origin point (the center of the asset) to the nodes of each network. I repeated this for every asset included in the pack. I ended up with an empty asset that used the hidden pedestrian paths and the below ground networks: (excuse the asset template’s original mesh from the base game metro station template).
1621712558662.png

Metro Plaza with no mesh, but fully working pedestrian paths and station tracks - proof of concept asset.

This guaranteed that I had a working asset for the final delivery, and I could move on to modelling and texturing to complete the assets.

The next week of development was creating the meshes for all the stations and importing them into the game assets to make sure they fit the placed networks and the asset extents. These would be fully UV mapped but remain white as I would not do any textures until the next step. Here is an image of the white box model for the Metro Plaza Station.
1621712573481.png

Metro Plaza white box model with propping

Note that the mesh isn’t fully white as the default shaders for game assets apply a default concrete texture to any mesh below the ground level (this is how the concrete basement is generated for other assets)
At this point with a mesh in place I could start placing props and lights to figure out the best way to populate my stations to make them feel alive. As an architecture grad (or nearly) I’m a sucker for green design so I loved adding greenery and trees to the assets wherever I could.

The last thing to do for the assets is to create the textures and apply them in game, as well as make LOD models and bake down the main textures to suit these lower poly models for distance viewing. Below is the asset with materials applied, as viewed in the asset editor which shows the complexity of the hidden pedestrian path networks.
1621712589403.png

In game asset editor preview that shows hidden pedestrian paths in finished asset

Once all the assets were finished, I play-tested to be doubly sure they worked - and took screenshots to serve as the in game tooltips and thumbnails which are custom made.
1621712597249.png

Custom thumbnails (all states)

Each asset had multiple sub buildings and or sub meshes, usually for the use of the glass shaders - this meant a certain amount of meshes were needed split over each of these sub assets. I made sure that I used shared materials for any sub asset per main asset, which helped save on memory. This meant that although the final pack used 519 raw files (various .FBX models, and .PNG files for textures) the final file size of all these files combined was 81MB though this would be different to the actual memory usage of the pack once fully imported into the game.

I hope this sheds some light on my process for making this pack, I hope you enjoy the new stations and the new configurations they will let you use for your public transport networks!

Below are some more of the work-in-progress shots of the other assets included!

Thanks for reading,
Bad Peanut

1621712611661.png
1621712615537.png

1621712624860.png
1621712629702.png

1621712641260.png
1621712646730.png

1621712660651.png
1621712666784.png

1621712678511.png

Last edited:
Sounds pretty realistic to me. Alternatively you can place a water pumping station next to it with an anarchy mod. That usually works.

I really like the new train and metro stations, that came with the new Content Creator Pack. But what I like more, is the creative aspect of the game in terms of creating custom assets.

Strangely, I'm stuck at this part. I have created several train stations without problems for the game. I just tried to create a station with the new elevated bypass track. I can save the station without problems and load it again in the asset editor, but the station is always INACTIVE in the content manager. And it is not possible to activate / enable it, so of course it does not even show up in the game. It looks like this option is disabled for stations with the new station track. I can place the bypass station track in the game though.

So can the new track be only used by the pack's stations or is it just a bug @BadPeanut ?
I think that's a bug but @co_avanya should be able to confirm!

I think that's a bug but @co_avanya should be able to confirm!

Hi, first thanks for your reply. Are there any news about this topic? The error still exists. My custum train station based on the Content Creator Pack's stations still does not appear in the game (nor is it active / selectable in the content manager). Is that maybe on purpose?

Furthermore I have problems with your elevated bypass track from here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1577947171. I can use the ground bypass track without problems, but the elevated bypass track does not show up in the asset editor nor in the game. But it is shown as active in the content manager.
What is really weird though is, that I can open your station track in the editor itself, like when opening every other network.
I then exported it with MoveIt and when I try to import it in the building editor into a train station I get this message:
The following assets are missing and will be ignored:
Bypass Station Track_Elevated_Data0

Which is not surprising, as it doesn't show up in the asset editor at all.
Am I doing anything wrong? I don't understand why your ground bypass track works, but the elevated one won't.

Last edited:
I completely forgot to get back to this thread. My bad! It is indeed a bug and will be fixed. No ETA on the fix at this time.

Hey! This is my dev diary for my newly released Content Creator Pack: Train Stations! This pack contains 6 Train Stations, 6 Metro stations and 4 Transport Hubs!

In this dev diary I’m gonna take you through my process of making this pack, from conception to production and show off the cool parts that I think you’ll love!
But first, here’s a little bit about me: I am BadPeanut on the steam workshop and I’ve been creating assets and helping out with some mods since the launch of Cities back in 2015. I love the game and though I started out making train stations my biggest joy is to make functional and useful assets for everyone to use and that is where the core concept of this pack comes from.

My very first asset for Cities: Skylines was a train station from where I grew up! When I first started playing Cities I wanted to be able to recreate the cities I lived in and the modding capabilities let me do that! There’s something really satisfying about seeing the cims use your station, watching them follow the paths, wait on the platforms, get on and get off trains. I spend 80% of my testing time just staring at a fully functional asset - the first 20% actually checking it works and the rest just enjoying the cims zooming around. It can be very mesmerizing!

Looking back at my first asset I can say my ability to model and texture has drastically improved though I am still happy with how it ended up! - It goes to show that if you’re interested in modding, just take a chance, be kind to yourself and always try things out and test and play around. It’s how I got to where I am today, with a strong knowledge on how the game works and how the editor works - all from practice and problem solving.

View attachment 722125
My first asset, Suburban Train Station - uploaded less than 1 month after the game release in 2015.

What’s Included in the CCP:

As you know, Train and Metro are two separate types of transport so I wanted to make each set of stations have slightly different uses while still having overlapping functions so you can choose to go either train or metro (or both) if you want to. For those of you who are familiar with my workshop content, some tracks are now making appearances as official content! Some of them are new, and not seen before. All buildings are completely new and use the new station tracks!
This Content Creator pack adds 12 New Station tracks:

Train Station Tracks
  • Ground Island Platform Station Track
  • Ground Dual Island Platform Station Track
  • Ground Bypass Station Track

Metro Station Tracks
  • Below Ground Island Platform Station Track
  • Below Ground Dual Island Platform Station Track
  • Below Ground Bypass Station Track

And 16 New Transport buildings:

6 Train Stations
View attachment 722126
When concepting this pack I decided that Train Stations were going to have larger footprints and contain parking lots as they can be used for intercity trains as well as local train lines- with an outside connection cims would be able to drive to the stations and park to visit the external cities. This felt more realistic to me as train stations are often used as park and ride transportation in the places I grew up in.
The Train Stations can be placed adjacent to the roadside with the parking lots snapping to create intersections with that road (as seen in the above gif)

6 Metro Stations
View attachment 722127
I decided the Metro Stations would be more compact than the Train Stations on offer. They would also connect differently to the road network. I used sub buildings to make it possible to place the stations perpendicular to the roadside so that the disruption to the zoning grid would be minimal.
I really wanted the sunken Metro Stations to have more eye candy as well, instead of being totally underground and hidden, I decided to have them partly visible into the tunnel like stations so you can watch your cims board and the metro trains zip through.

4 Transport Hubs
View attachment 722128

The Transport Hubs were the largest assets in the packs and the most complex to design. Configuring the paths of all the assets to make sure that all the possible pedestrian connections to each platform worked was the first week of the process - so I knew I had a working prototype for each asset. More on that process later…
The Transport Hubs needed a dedicated Metro hub, and dedicated Train hub and a mixture of the two and something heritage styled too. Each building in this pack uses the transparent shader for glass roofing and glass balustrades.

View attachment 722129
Old Market Station

Development Process:

I will use the Metro Plaza Station Hub as a case study to take you through the development process for this pack.
View attachment 722130
Metro Plaza Station - Using New Below Ground Bypass Station Tracks and Below Ground Island Platform Station Tracks.

The first week of development was concepting and producing proof-of-concept assets that used the in game networks (pedestrian pathways) and the new station networks I put together. Here is a snapshot from making the new networks:
View attachment 722131
These are some of the new elevated metro and train station tracks (for editor use only)

The station networks did not take too much time as I made sure to reuse the same materials from the base game to save memory and putting together the meshes was a short enough task.
The complexity of the network layouts is another story and it took the majority of that week to plan them and place them in the editor and play test they all worked.
In order to do this I used a 3D modelling program to sketch out the networks, their lengths, node positions and connections.
View attachment 722132
3D Modelling software to map out network layout

I used these modeled lines to measure the distance from the origin point (the center of the asset) to the nodes of each network. I repeated this for every asset included in the pack. I ended up with an empty asset that used the hidden pedestrian paths and the below ground networks: (excuse the asset template’s original mesh from the base game metro station template).
View attachment 722133
Metro Plaza with no mesh, but fully working pedestrian paths and station tracks - proof of concept asset.

This guaranteed that I had a working asset for the final delivery, and I could move on to modelling and texturing to complete the assets.

The next week of development was creating the meshes for all the stations and importing them into the game assets to make sure they fit the placed networks and the asset extents. These would be fully UV mapped but remain white as I would not do any textures until the next step. Here is an image of the white box model for the Metro Plaza Station.
View attachment 722134
Metro Plaza white box model with propping

Note that the mesh isn’t fully white as the default shaders for game assets apply a default concrete texture to any mesh below the ground level (this is how the concrete basement is generated for other assets)
At this point with a mesh in place I could start placing props and lights to figure out the best way to populate my stations to make them feel alive. As an architecture grad (or nearly) I’m a sucker for green design so I loved adding greenery and trees to the assets wherever I could.

The last thing to do for the assets is to create the textures and apply them in game, as well as make LOD models and bake down the main textures to suit these lower poly models for distance viewing. Below is the asset with materials applied, as viewed in the asset editor which shows the complexity of the hidden pedestrian path networks.
View attachment 722135
In game asset editor preview that shows hidden pedestrian paths in finished asset

Once all the assets were finished, I play-tested to be doubly sure they worked - and took screenshots to serve as the in game tooltips and thumbnails which are custom made.
View attachment 722136
Custom thumbnails (all states)

Each asset had multiple sub buildings and or sub meshes, usually for the use of the glass shaders - this meant a certain amount of meshes were needed split over each of these sub assets. I made sure that I used shared materials for any sub asset per main asset, which helped save on memory. This meant that although the final pack used 519 raw files (various .FBX models, and .PNG files for textures) the final file size of all these files combined was 81MB though this would be different to the actual memory usage of the pack once fully imported into the game.

I hope this sheds some light on my process for making this pack, I hope you enjoy the new stations and the new configurations they will let you use for your public transport networks!

Below are some more of the work-in-progress shots of the other assets included!

Thanks for reading,
Bad Peanut

View attachment 722137 View attachment 722138
View attachment 722139 View attachment 722140
View attachment 722141 View attachment 722142
View attachment 722143 View attachment 722144
View attachment 722145
Hey BadPeanut,
As always you do a fantastic job with your MOD creations. I have always used your MODs (I used a different name back then...have my own acc now) because I know they work. I haven't felt like playing CS for awhile now especailly after the loss of my wife!

So I am back now with my own acc, and totally floored by your creations.
Loved your work with the Melbourne stations, Flinders Sation and others.

Douvie.

Any news on new CC packs for consoles? When they first came out they had me playing Cities again for weeks. After that I noticed I kept an eye for more CC packs but they did not arrive. What I still miss on consoles are parking lots

This looks great and I'm very keen to install it and have a play. Before I do, can I just ask whether it's fully compatible with the Mass Transit DLC which I already have?
Thanks.
Just be aware of that certain mods might not be compatible or working right on release date.

Other than for cargo/freight, I rarely ever used trains. Until this pack!
In the "Trains!" scenario, I challenged myself to ONLY use trains for transit. I REALLY enjoyed that. After winning the scenario (Which was difficult because you had to reach a large population really fast) I enjoyed building a train network throughout the entire city. With all the variety now, it's not boring. Quite enjoyable!
I also challenged myself to keep the rails above ground as much as possible. No tunnels! (Only minimal amount of tunnels)

20211212122556_1.jpg

20211212122359_1.jpg

20211210233143_1.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
As much as I appreciate the Trains CCP, what I don't like is that the dual stations have multiple platforms connected to a single node on each side, such as the Crossover Train Station Hub. This single node can act as a bottleneck with heavy train traffic; it would be much more efficient if the tracks were on separate nodes.

Other than for cargo/freight, I rarely ever used trains. Until this pack!
In the "Trains!" scenario, I challenged myself to ONLY use trains for transit. I REALLY enjoyed that. After winning the scenario (Which was difficult because you had to reach a large population really fast) I enjoyed building a train network throughout the entire city. With all the variety now, it's not boring. Quite enjoyable!
I also challenged myself to keep the rails above ground as much as possible. No tunnels! (Only minimal amount of tunnels)

View attachment 798787

Yeesh! That's a pretty hideous layout with all those tracks overlapping fifty feet in the air. Not to mention it looks ripe for gridlocks. Learn to build flyovers with one-way tracks to avoid trains crossing paths.

Reactions:
I love BP's Train Stations CCP. My only complaint was the lack of a multi-track cargo station, but now Airports gives us that, so that's good.

First of all thank you for this CCP! But I have a little problem with the metro-plaza. The cims can't find an entry or exit for the upper platform on the outside of the asset (which have its own escalator). I am pretty sure it is not a demand problem, because when I choose an other track for cims, they are using the route. On other places or road configurations it seem to work better.
I would be glad, if you could provide a soulution!

This is a really nice pack and I enjoy the vehicles. It's a welcome addition to my cities and I love the various styles!

I do have some questions about them, and if there's going to be an increase in functionality later.

The Old Market station is one of my faves, and I really find the road underneath to be nice. I notice it goes back to the back of the lot, but can't be connected or pathed to. Is there going to be any way to get it to be connected to have a through road?

Also I noticed that even if I rename the station sometimes when people are pathing to it (like visiting it or working there) they'll use the generic name "Crossover Train Station Hub." Is this intended?

Hi,

amazing pack, I like having contributors like yourself being more enrolled in the game. I love it.

I have one stupid question, and bare with me if it is just my setup... I am trying to build the Sunken Dual Island Platform Metro Station but on a 2 lane road, and it is systematically complaining about "Space already occupied". Can you confirm that the station was never designed to support 2 lane roads? or some additional content on my end is breaking the station?

Thanks and best regards, Emile.

I'm trying to use your Metro Plaza Station and I am having trouble connecting the train lines. I'm getting the Space Already occupied error. The metro lines work fine.
1655029475856.png