• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Forum banner.png

Plop the Growables, Forest Brush and Theme Mixer - These are just a few of TPB’s popular mods. Hear how he got into modding, and how that landed him a job at Colossal Order!

-------------------------------------------------

My name is Tai AKA TPB, and I'm a gameplay programmer at Colossal Order.

How did you get into Cities: Skylines and modding?​

I was an active member of the Simtropolis SimCity 4 community back in 2015. Then, Cities: Skylines came out, and there was a huge flurry of activity about this new game that seemed like a worthy contender for dethroning SC4's supremacy.

I decided to give it a go, and got hooked immediately. Initially, I just spent a lot of time in the asset editor making interchanges, parks and the like. Pretty soon though, as mods began popping up like mushrooms on Steam Workshop, I became intrigued by the code-based mods. They seemed to offer endless opportunities for adding new features or fundamentally changing how the game worked.

Other than basic HTML and CSS, I had no prior programming experience at the time. But, with a lot of help from knowledgeable modders, I started learning C# and embarked on a journey that would ultimately lead me to moving to Finland with my family to work for Colossal Order full time.

What is a significant mod you made? Why is that special to you?​

My favourite creation has to be Forest Brush. I really enjoy creating natural scenes and rural types of towns. I always found it very tedious and time-consuming to create realistic looking forests in the game due to the limitations of the game’s tree brush. Forest Brush was my solution.

Forest Brush gif.gif

How did you end up applying for a job at Colossal Order?​

When I was young, I had a difficult time figuring out what I wanted to do. I ended up working low-paying jobs in various fields, which didn’t really advance my career in any meaningful way. This lack of direction was also affecting my mental health a lot. I was feeling stuck and unfulfilled.

My modding hobby, on the other hand, was making me quite happy. I really enjoy seeing a creation come to life. That feeling you get, when all the parts fall into place and things just work, is simply priceless.

So it was with great excitement that I one day opened my inbox to find an email from Colossal Order informing us modders that they were looking for junior gameplay programmers. Even though I was full of self-doubt, I decided that I really had nothing to lose, and applied. You can only imagine my surprise and the utter feeling of happiness when I heard I got the job!

What is it like working at Colossal Order?​

We get free cake. Compared to any other job I've had before, working at Colossal Order feels like being in some sort of workplace Valhalla. Where can I start? Awesome co-workers, best boss in the world, a bunch of perks, a lovely country, I could go on forever but... did I mention we get free cake?

How do you spend your free time now?​

I never really technically "played" Cities: Skylines before, unless you count modding as playing. ;) Nowadays, I don't play nor mod the game anymore. Instead, I spend my time with my family, and on improving my existing skills and learning new ones.

------------------------------------------------------

Hiring Modders series

Last edited:
So can we get Forest Brush added into the game? Along with a tree eraser if it doesn't already have it. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: