• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It has been a while since I last wrote a word of the week, but as we are about to head to summer vacation I thought it would be good to give you guys a heads up that we'll be off the grid for a month. Worry not, we are still going to add more content and new features to the game and will be listening to your input on what would be the most interesting theme for a new expansion. So any hopes and dreams for future developments are still more than welcome! We'll just get back to it after the vacation :)

Mass Transit expansion was released in May and it seems that you guys really liked it! We have received some ideas and suggestions for features that already exist in the game and we thought that improving the communication on what an update brings to the game was needed. You might have already noticed the “What’s new” window that appears with a major update. The intention is to notify you if the game has updated with new content. The window informs you on what is new and how it works in a nutshell. It won’t advertise new features in a DLC you don’t have, but mention things that have been updated for free or are in a DLC pack you have purchased. Any feedback on this feature is highly appreciated! Is it informative? Needed? A waste of time? Awesome?

I shall continue these updates in mid-August and it's going to be very exciting as we have some cool content that we have been working on. If I say anything more Paradox will hunt me down and no remote cabin in the Finnish woods will be far enough to hide in. However I shall now take my four weeks of vacation for horsing around and enjoying the possibility of decent weather (I want to believe).

Have a great July :D

Cheers,
Mariina

I would love to see more district styles than just vanilla and European. For example: Mediterranean, Asian, Russian/Eastern European, slums/ghetto, Art Deco, Jugenstil/Art Nouveau, Gothic/historic city center, etc.

Also, different language possibilities for street names, district names and citizen names would be nice, so you can (for example) use Dutch names for a Dutch-themed city. (replace "Dutch" with whatever culture you want your city to be part of).

The new panel is fine by the way. It tells me what I need to know and once I've leard it I can just hide it again.

Last edited:
I would love to see more district styles than just vanilla and European. For example: Mediterranean, Asian, Russian/Eastern European, slums/ghetto, Art Deco, Jugenstil/Art Nouveau, Gothic/historic city center, etc.

Also, different language possibilities for street names, district names and citizen names would be nice, so you can (for example) use Dutch names for a Dutch-themed city. (replace "Dutch" with whatever culture you want your city to be part of).

The new panel is fine by the way. It tells me what I need to know and once I've leard it I can just hide it again.

You can name yr streets like districts & all, click inside only :)

Have some nice holidays! @ CO team, and everyone :)

I love the what's new feature, even for regular players you can sometimes forget about a feature or two.

My main problem with all the new content, mainly roads, is that the road selection is too crowded and it is too difficult to find the road I want to place. A custom road builder would be nice. I would rather quickly draw up specs for the road I want rather than search through 20 different roads trying to find the best one. This would clean up the road selection screen and also give players greater freedom in road design. I attached a picture of said concept.

Attachments

• Road Builder.png
    Road Builder.png
    18,2 KB · Views: 276
I love the what's new feature, even for regular players you can sometimes forget about a feature or two.

My main problem with all the new content, mainly roads, is that the road selection is too crowded and it is too difficult to find the road I want to place. A custom road builder would be nice. I would rather quickly draw up specs for the road I want rather than search through 20 different roads trying to find the best one. This would clean up the road selection screen and also give players greater freedom in road design. I attached a picture of said concept.
That's what they did for Cities in Motion 2. Don't know what happened here.

That's what they did for Cities in Motion 2. Don't know what happened here.
I don't know how buildings were spawned in CiM2, but CiM2 wasn't a city-builder, so I guess that buildings semi-randomly snapped to roads. This was very obvious when you tried to expand your city. All of your buildings ended up looking sort of wonky.

In Cities Skylines however, buildings are based on grids. This means that if your roads are not a multiple of the gridsize, your grids will not lign up, and your buildings will look out of place. Especially the dense zones from the European theme.
Currently all roads (Except highways) are 2 or 4 grids wide. Even trying to make roads 1 or 3 grids wide, results in uninteded grid behaviour. As seen with the tiny roads from NExt2.

Also to all of the Colosal Order team; have a nice holiday!

I would like the ability to create / edit roads in asset editor. There are many different road types with added lanes in CS now, eg bikeways, monorails, bus, tram etc. But with them none have decorative trees or grass. Trees especially useful for cutting down road noise in elite suburbs. The ability to edit these splines would be helpful, besides could make fence splines and many others.

I posted earlier in this thread about the ability of editing roads in the asset editor, here is another idea or function I would like to see in the game. Districts are underused imo, and Id like to see a function on service buildings, eg fire, cemeteries etc be limited to its district. This would stop hearses for example travelling from 1 side of the city to the other to pick up and driving right past 20 or so buildings that need a pickup. Maybe just a check that can be toggled on and off to restrict service vehicle to that district. I realize that this would mean districts most likely have to be larger to make use of all vehicles available eg cemetery ?/10 etc.

It already is!
Yes, for English names. But I mean it would be nice if you could opt for name lists in other languages. Imagine you want to build Rome or Kopenhagen, then English street names would make no sense. So it would be nice if there was a list of (for example) Italian or Danish street names you could pick instead at the start of the game. And then people can all make their own language lists and share them in the workshop.

This game is really great. But I like its periodic improvements.
Some ideas :
- allow to add some custom buildings to one (and only one) default style (European or American) or allow to associate multiple styles to a district
- events could be great: for instance, create a multi-usage place for weekly market, circus installation, annual festival -> during these events, some roads should become pedestrian but some rental fees could return to the city
- allow to create some facilities along pedestrian ways (seats, ice-cream seller, underground entrance, ...)

you can turn off in game popups in the gameplay settings menu

Have a nice holiday!

The what's new panel is great for players who never do research and that's quite a large amount of players. It's a nice addition.
I have yet to find the "what's new" panel. Can someone please show me the light?