• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This week has been extremely busy and writing of the CO word of the week almost slipped my mind. But the workday is not over yet and I want to share with you what we have been up to this week! The team has been implementing the missing features for Natural Disasters and the expansion is really starting to shape up, we are still missing a couple of the disasters, but they will be implemented in the upcoming weeks.

The scenario editor is now being tested and we are working on making the scenarios themselves. There will be 5 scenarios in total in the expansion and as I have mentioned many times before we really can't wait to see what you guys come up with when the editor is out. If you want to read more about the editor, check out last week's dev diary. After all the features are in place we will focus on bugfixing and polishing them to making sure everything works as planned.

We showed a little bit what there is to come in Natural Disasters on a live stream with Paradox yesterday. We mainly focused on the scenario editor and tried to show few of the disasters, but there's more to come with new streams so stay tuned.

Here's a recap of the disasters, for those who have been eagerly waiting:
We will be introducing all of these different disasters in detail in future dev diaries as well as the other features present in the expansion. The team is working hard to making Natural Disasters great and I'm very much looking forward to showing you guys more!

What do you think? Any specific disaster you are looking forward to? Which one should be the one we talk about in next week's dev diary?

Cheers,
Mariina

I think is missing natural disasters but, this is one I am looking for:

Yesterday I saw on Netflix the movie Contagion and I remeber that everyone wants disasters in this game, but maybe a different kind of Disasters from SimCity, and Contagion is a good example, starts with someone post in Chirpie that a cim is very sick, and then go to the clinic but the doctors cant do anithing and return it to his home, and then the sicks icon starts to apear in the clinic and in the neiborhoods where the patient zero lives, then the Hospital makes the alarm of epidemic and the cims starts to post in chirpies , that are afraid, that are sick etc...and the clinics and hospitals and the cims starts to die, the houses, stores, and industry get abandoned
Until you bring the medicine from other city, by airplane or train, or in the Hospital unlock the medicine with a lot of money, or in the Cientific Building start the research and the medicine will be unloked in 1 year, or maby building the Medical Center : what you do think?

The epidemic is a natural disaster, I think that the game have already the tools to make it possible with out much work, I have seen the scenario editor yesterday in the stream, this disaster can make easily. But I want to be a vanilla disaster.

I wrote this on august 4 on a whislit of steam mods.
Sorry my English.

Reactions:
here's the youtube video of yesterday's live stream:

Reactions:
@co_martsu These disasters sound awesome! Can't wait to get more info on them in he upcoming weeks!

The Natural disasters I think you're missing are the following:

Hailstorm- could work in a similar to meteor strike but without the complete destruction of a city but rather damage to it

Avalanches
Landslides
Blizzards
Hurricanes
Droughts and Heatwaves

If you wanted to continue with the space theme (with the meteor strike),you could also have Solar flare- could cause loss of power etc across the entire city

P.S my vote for next week's Dev diary would be Thunderstorms

Last edited:
Reactions:
if you want everyone to get sick in your city just stick a water tower in an industrial zone and connect it to your pipe network

Reactions:
Well this is better than expected!

I truly love the fact that you've focused so much on natural disasters, which most places in real life have to consider and plan for. The meteor strike is the most exotic one, but that's fine as we've got quite a few others to choose from as well! Besides, meteors are quite fun... :D

If these natural disasters are implemented in a good way, I'd say you guys at CO have done a fantastic job with this expansion DLC! And to top it off you're also doing scenarios, which is the thing I was most excited for from the get-go anyways.

Yeah I'm liking this!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Great news. Many natural disasters are there.
What is sinkhole? Flooding of streets filled drains?

Will we see a cow fly in the middle of the tornado? :D
Sinkholes that occur in cities are generally caused by water undermining the subgrade (soil) below a road leading to the collapse of the road once the soil can no longer bear the weight of the pavement. The source of the water can be natural but is more likely to be from a utility pipe burst, leak, or from a poorly graded roadway that doesn't drain properly.

Reactions:
I like what I read. You're working really fast at CO!

I know it's not a natural disaster, but it wouldn't hurt to have car accidents some day. Particularly in those busy and congested roads.

Reactions:
This week has been extremely busy and writing of the CO word of the week almost slipped my mind. But the workday is not over yet and I want to share with you what we have been up to this week! The team has been implementing the missing features for Natural Disasters and the expansion is really starting to shape up, we are still missing a couple of the disasters, but they will be implemented in the upcoming weeks.

The scenario editor is now being tested and we are working on making the scenarios themselves. There will be 5 scenarios in total in the expansion and as I have mentioned many times before we really can't wait to see what you guys come up with when the editor is out. If you want to read more about the editor, check out last week's dev diary. After all the features are in place we will focus on bugfixing and polishing them to making sure everything works as planned.

We showed a little bit what there is to come in Natural Disasters on a live stream with Paradox yesterday. We mainly focused on the scenario editor and tried to show few of the disasters, but there's more to come with new streams so stay tuned.

Here's a recap of the disasters, for those who have been eagerly waiting:
We will be introducing all of these different disasters in detail in future dev diaries as well as the other features present in the expansion. The team is working hard to making Natural Disasters great and I'm very much looking forward to showing you guys more!

What do you think? Any specific disaster you are looking forward to? Which one should be the one we talk about in next week's dev diary?

Cheers,
Mariina

How about riots? In addition to the matchday stadium or because of lack of services.

Perhaps more natural. A lava eruption creating new land from under water But also causing a tsunami. From a mountain it creates Nice big fires ;)

Another addition might be a train derail. Or a plane crash. And while i'm at it perhaps car accidentents are Nice too. Causing giant traffic jams. Just making cities a bit more realistic

Cant wait until release!
Greets, Kositive

Wait there is an unmentioned disaster ?
Because between forest fires icon and the structure fire icon
There is an icon between them
What is that disaster ? Especialy at moment 2:58

I think that's the earthquake as mentioned by co_martsu, as it was announed. tornado was also mentioned but that wouldn't fit the icon at all. It might be hidden on the left or right in this side scrolling menu.

There will be 5 scenarios

I think initially 3 where announced but I am glad to hear, there are more official scenarios to come.

I'm happy that fire will spread now. I wonder, if it could spreads over a road to another building or it has to be next to it.
I am wondering if the fire fx effects have been tweaked a bit, because before the scene with the meteor strike you showed us the fire spread. The light effects of fire looked better, or was it just because now there are more light sources because fire spreads and it seemed more intense?

The fire hazard layer in the video displays now noise reducing trees from roads. I assume that they can burn down?
But how's the logic when these trees burn down (rebuild the street / road maintenance service / disaster maintenance service, ...) or how is it repaired, and is there any icon indication that noise reducing trees on a road where destroyed? This would be required, if the player has to manually repair it with the road upgrade button.

I also like the part with the meteor impact at 26:30 where cars were thrown away and parts of buidlings twirling around and the screen was shaking. YES - that feels like a disaster :)
It's a pity we couldn't hear sound effects from the meteor and when he crashed in the video. It would be nice in an upcoming dev diary so we can have a better insight how the sound effects will be.

And for the scenerio editor it would be nice to have some more effects, like reduced health, increased crime rate, decreased land value. And policies are completely missing here I think, at least what I saw in the video.
For example it would be nice to make a scenario where every 4th year the farming industry has a dry period resulting in 50% reduced goods, and oil industry receives a 25% boost, because the city has to import more goods and you need more fuel to overcome this. And it would be nice to limit effects on certain districts.

Last edited: