• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This week has been extremely busy and writing of the CO word of the week almost slipped my mind. But the workday is not over yet and I want to share with you what we have been up to this week! The team has been implementing the missing features for Natural Disasters and the expansion is really starting to shape up, we are still missing a couple of the disasters, but they will be implemented in the upcoming weeks.

The scenario editor is now being tested and we are working on making the scenarios themselves. There will be 5 scenarios in total in the expansion and as I have mentioned many times before we really can't wait to see what you guys come up with when the editor is out. If you want to read more about the editor, check out last week's dev diary. After all the features are in place we will focus on bugfixing and polishing them to making sure everything works as planned.

We showed a little bit what there is to come in Natural Disasters on a live stream with Paradox yesterday. We mainly focused on the scenario editor and tried to show few of the disasters, but there's more to come with new streams so stay tuned.

Here's a recap of the disasters, for those who have been eagerly waiting:
We will be introducing all of these different disasters in detail in future dev diaries as well as the other features present in the expansion. The team is working hard to making Natural Disasters great and I'm very much looking forward to showing you guys more!

What do you think? Any specific disaster you are looking forward to? Which one should be the one we talk about in next week's dev diary?

Cheers,
Mariina

Hello all. Just got CS last week and I'm loving it and looking forward to this dlc. Two humble suggestions though, hope I'm not being redundant if i missed these comments.

First i hope to see on/off toggle for each disaster. I like to loosely recreate real world places and sinkholes and tornadoes sound good for Cleveland but earthquakes don't.

Secondly, I would like to see sinkhole chances higher in areas with ore-specialized industry and water sources. The area where i live has an extensive abandoned mine system. Needless to say we have quite a lot of sinkholes. The state highway that runs over the old mines was affected enough that the abandoned and flooded mines below it had to be stabilized and filled with grout over the course of 3 years.

Anyways, thanks for the fun and i look forward to future updates and expansions. Have a nice day.

Sinkholes that occur in cities are generally caused by water undermining the subgrade (soil) below a road leading to the collapse of the road once the soil can no longer bear the weight of the pavement. The source of the water can be natural but is more likely to be from a utility pipe burst, leak, or from a poorly graded roadway that doesn't drain properly.
Thank you both. Now I have clear that it is sinkhole, hehe.

Wait there is an unmentioned disaster ?
Because between forest fires icon and the structure fire icon
There is an icon between them
What is that disaster ? Especialy at moment 2:58
Yes, I too saw him. In the list there are 8 disasters, and in the video there are 9 icons disaster .. :p

Here's what the disasters I suggest: chemical spills, and anything Sci-fi and Supernatural(if devs are refuses to put things like latter into even any Future DLCs of Cities Skylines, I'll stick witth mods)

Personally I'm mostly interested in the other features that might be included in the expansion. Especially if there will be more transportation options. I have some cims standing on one side of Bosporen waiting for a ferry because they can't afford the highway bridge...

This expansion seems to be shaping up nicely! Looking good so far.

One question: will spreading fires be a change to the base mechanics of the game? The Twitch TV episode seemed to suggest as much, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! We'll be releasing the next dev diary about Natural Disasters expansion later this week about one or more of the disasters ;)

Reactions:
I know it's kinda stupid to post about this, but the two people who respectfully disagreed with my post above, could you please explain why? :p

I mean, why shouldn't the sunlight simulation also be correct? Sunlight conditions are quite important IRL, and if I want to design a city, I also like to think about that as well.

Now I just have to use a compass mod and pretend that I'm doing a good job, haha!

firstly, it's trivial and secondly who's to say the the city that i build is on earth?

Reactions:
Well, why not just assume it's a fantasy version of Earth? All the flora and fauna is either directly taken from or heavily inspired from Earth, so I don't see why not just have the planet spin the same way as the one we all live on?

Also, I cannot believe this to be a big task. I mean, that object only needs to reverse its direction?

Last edited:
No volcanic eruptions? :(
Nope sounds like no....
43573792.jpg

I'll go with a whole different topic: Can you make some performance improvements? The Linux version is really slow (since a few days before the initial release of the game, and I think ith upgrading to Unity 5.3+ we'd see some serious improvements