• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Winter Teaser - Photo mode

CK3 Winter Teaser #1 - Photo mode​

Salutations, I am Carlberg, the 3D environment art lead on CK3 and today we have a small teaser for that button you may have spotted down in the right corner on a lot of dev diaries. It is the button that will bring up the Photomode of the court, to make it easier to take memorable pictures of the events and happenings of your court! Along with this preview we also thought we’d show off some more artifacts in their natural habitat.​

photomode_icon.png

The camera might not have been invented in the dark ages, but don’t we all want clean screenshots?.

We’ve been confident for quite some time that our players would want to take some pictures of what happens in their court, the interesting courtiers interacting or from finally seeing your rival and vassal arrive to bend the knee. So for that purpose the Photo mode will give everyone the ability to pick what camera is currently active out of a curated selection. Some of these are camera angles that you’ve seen depending on different interfaces and some camera angles only available in the photo mode.
photomode_Screen.png

photomode_Screen_Drop_Down.png

In the photo mode you can select cameras from a dropdown, turn off courtiers for decoration focused shots, or the UI to get a clean picture with no interface.

And following, here are a few more court shots taken with the photo mode.​
photomode_India.png

photomode_Mena.png
Edit: We have been made aware of the flipped text of the banner, thanks for your keen eyes!

photomode_medi.png

Trivia:
Did you know that the natural camera, camera obscura, is an optical effect that can occur in a dark room with a small hole for the entry of light. This light causes a projection of the outside to occur within the dark room and has been observed and mentioned in Chinese written texts as early as 400 bce.

We'll be back again next week with another teaser!

Last edited:
  • 86Like
  • 29Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Nice the babershop mod but 3D :D

I assume this will be nicely moddable ?

Will the pictures show up in the steam screenshot folder or ?

• 2Like
Reactions:
You guys serve with that visual! One thing that I would like to ask is whether the activity seen from people in the court is influenced by something else, or it is just randomly arranged.

Reactions:
I assume this will be nicely moddable ?

Will the pictures show up in the steam screenshot folder or ?

Cameras are quite moddable, they can be set to appear in the dropdown list of the photo mode with a setting.

Screenshots are saved to your Documents/ParadoxInteractive/Crusader Kings III folder

Arabic calligraphy in Islamic court written wrong direction.
Ah! I will make the relevant people aware of that.

You guys serve with that visual! One thing that I would like to ask is whether the activity seen from people in the court is influenced by something else, or it is just randomly arranged.
Courtiers will be conversing and interacting in the background unless they're tied up somewhere or participating in court events, in which case they will be standing together with the relevant parties. There's some triggers that causes more favor to certain courtiers (a war court would see more knights in attendance for example) as well as some others I think you'll discover during play ;)

• 23Like
Reactions:
I notice the Byzantine shield on the wall in one of the screenshots - will there be a possibility to display our custom coats of arms in our throne rooms?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The halls look great, but they are all so ... emtpy? I'd say the court of a King or Emperor should be way more decorated. Also where is all the furniture?

• 3Like
Reactions:
I notice the Byzantine shield on the wall in one of the screenshots - will there be a possibility to display our custom coats of arms in our throne rooms?
Shields as well as banners can have coat of arms applied to them, this includes custom coat of arms.

• 20Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Nice! This should really come in handy for people doing AARs.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I see these lovely changes and worry about people with weak computers.

Maybe its time to update my machine :p

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I think it will be good to add some sort of elevation platform beneath the thrones so that rulers are standing above everyone else when the grandeur is high level.

Another cool thing you can add to the update is to make it available to customize your title. For example to choose how people refer to you, like High King, Khan, Great Khan, etc. A simple button to change that will add amazing immersion. Recently there was a cool mod that made this.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Courtiers will be conversing and interacting in the background unless they're tied up somewhere or participating in court events, in which case they will be standing together with the relevant parties. There's some triggers that causes more favor to certain courtiers (a war court would see more knights in attendance for example) as well as some others I think you'll discover during play ;)

Will the courtiers behave differently based on their agenda? In other words will it be noticeable who is scheming to murder, spying, romancing, or just chilling (I assume if it is noticeable we would need to be aware of their agenda in the first place to see them behave differently)

Additionally, what happens with the court view once the holding is under siege?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Very nice addition to the game.

Reactions:
The Arabic banner on top of the ruler's throne in the MENA court room supposedly says God's name but it is reverted! It's like a mirrored cursive, please correct!

• 1Like
Reactions: