• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3: Tours and Tournaments - The Vision

Greetings!

Come one, come all! The grand tournament awaits your attendance - your steeds have been readied and your entourage assembled for the journey ahead! It’s time to show the world your graciousness as host and worth in the arena… but to get there, we’re better off routing our journey around the treacherous mountain passes of Stipon, as I hear they’ve been crawling with highwaymen since your, ahem, dalliance with Duke Andronikos’ wife during his son's wedding. Then there’s the matter of your unruly vassals: perhaps it’s time for a royal tour?

The life of a ruler was always active - there were many things to attend to, and most courts at the time were itinerant, roaming from place to place constantly. Tours and Tournaments aims to give rulers plenty of things to do, especially during times of peace, by introducing new systems of Travel and Grand Activities!

As mentioned in the Floorplan Dev Diary, we want to reinforce the connection between character and map - after all, the game is played on a beautiful medieval map, and no longer will the only time your ruler leaves the safety of their capital be when you’re at war. There’s an entire world out there to explore, filled with both great opportunities and adventurous obstacles.

By assembling an entourage, selecting options for your travel, and hiring a caravan master, you are ready to set out on the road and travel to activities across the world. The Travel system is an integral part of activities, with both the host and guests traveling to reach them - creating a stronger feeling of place as you see your route being plotted and your character moving directly on the map.
3.png

[Image: The Duke of Bohemia setting out on a Tour]

So what are these activities you can travel to, you ask? There’s plenty - firstly we’ve updated and revamped Feasts, Hunts, and Pilgrimages completely - the bread-and-butter of activities. There’s now a reason to hunt in a specific forest within your domain, as a ferocious wolf or legendary stag might have been spotted there - or a reason to hold a feast in a holding with leisure palaces, as you might need to impress a particularly unruly vassal. Pilgrimages will now be epic journeys, potentially taking years if you’re going far - making it necessary for a regent to rule in your stead. All activities have dedicated interfaces with easily-accessible information and beautiful art to set the scene.

Of course, there are Grand activities that are even more impactful - each of them different in their own magnificent way! They have Options and Intents which affect rewards and what type of content you might encounter. Our aim is to make each activity have a clear purpose and be interesting in its own right, therefore we chose to make Grand Tournaments, Grand Tours, and Grand Weddings - three vastly different activities with vastly different executions and purposes!
2.png

[Image: Example of Activity Types, initial step]

Grand Tournaments are where you go to test your mettle: spectacles to be announced far and wide, with rewards ranging from precious trinkets to fabulous prizes! Grand Tournaments aren’t only for martially-inclined characters - while there are contests such as melees and jousts, there are also more cerebral ones such as recitals or erudite board games. You can join your knights in slippery wrestling, eagle-eyed archery, dangerous horse racing, and vicious team melees - all clad in gleaming armor brandishing your coat of arms for the masses to see! Participating and winning in these contests will see your characters and knights grow in skill and receive prizes; living the life of a frequent tournament-goer is a valid path to take. Exploring the tournament Locale and choosing the right Intents might help you out in other ways as well, be it finding friends or dispatching rivals. If you’re in need of renown, hosting tournaments yourself will grow your standing significantly, as rulers from foreign realms come flocking to the fateful grounds, eager to compete!
4.png

[Image: Snapshot of part of the Tournament UI. Tournaments, unlike other Grand Activities, have an extra special interface - more on that in the Tournaments Dev Diary]

Grand Tours see you assemble your entire court and set out to visit vassals in your realm - an activity commonly undertaken by medieval rulers. This is a way to assert your overlordship, while also enjoying the hospitality your vassals have to offer. There are various paths to take: Intimidation, Majesty, or Taxation, all affecting the rewards and opinions of your vassals. At its core, Tours are a tool for realm stability - and something a newly-ascended ruler should undertake quite early to avoid factions and revolts. You also get to choose between ways of approaching your vassals individually; you might want to tour the grounds, observe a cultural festival, or simply have a private dinner hosted for you.

Grand Weddings allow you to marry above your station… if you’re willing to pay the cost! They also provide ample opportunity for diplomatic shenanigans, such as impressing neighboring rulers into becoming vassals, forming hard-to-get alliances, or creating favorable matches for your children. Of course, these spectacles come with everything you’d expect out of a medieval ceremony - revelries, drama, and even a bedding ritual at the end. Or you can invite a group of mercenaries to color the halls crimson with the blood of the other House, should you desire it.
1.png

[Image: Planning a Grand Wedding]

As some of you managed to cleverly figure out, there’s also a brand-new regency system where we’ve made sure that it’s both interesting to have and to be a regent. Loyal regents help you by dutifully fulfilling their Mandates, and being the regent of your liege gives you opportunities to (with varying degrees of bloodshed) seize the throne for yourself, should you be doing a “good” job.

There’s also a myriad of other changes which we’ll go into in future dev diaries - smaller systemic updates to buildings, knights, vassal opinions, and so on - all to support a more interesting and living map, where your choices matter more.

So take to the road, ruler - great opportunities await!

Tours and Tournaments will be released in late spring, and until the release we will have weekly Dev Diaries.

Don’t forget to wishlist:
Wishlist on Steam
Microsoft Store

Watch the trailer here!

• 268Like
  • 141Love
  • 7Haha
Reactions:
what do "long-time fans" want?
More pop-up events, of course! But be warned, they can't be just any events based on historical times, no, the more unbelievable and out of a place the better. If they contain a pop culture reference, that's a big plus! And if an event isn't repeated at least ten times in the lifetime of one ruler, that's not enough! I love when I'm waging a war on which the existence of my realm depends, and every few seconds an announcement jumps out at me that some irrelevant person I don't know is sleeping with another irrelevant person I don't know. Ah, those brilliantly implemented roleplay elements... /s

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

• 10Haha
Reactions:
Part of the problem of the perception about the expansions that y'all are talking about might actually come down to PDX being a bit too generous to players re: the free updates to the point that it kinda undervalues their product, even though that product is what makes the free changes possible in the first place. Like, if the cultural rework were thought of as part of Royal Court, rather than accompanying Royal Court, I think RC would be more positively perceived. I understand why the devs are doing it this way, and I commend them for the user-friendly decision to make mechanics free and accessible as part of their DLC policy, but it does lead to the expansions themselves being a bit less meaty every time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Part of the problem of the perception about the expansions that y'all are talking about might actually come down to PDX being a bit too generous to players re: the free updates to the point that it kinda undervalues their product, even though that product is what makes the free changes possible in the first place. Like, if the cultural rework were thought of as part of Royal Court, rather than accompanying Royal Court, I think RC would be more positively perceived. I understand why the devs are doing it this way, and I commend them for the user-friendly decision to make mechanics free and accessible as part of their DLC policy, but it does lead to the expansions themselves being a bit less meaty every time.
It is a balancing act for sure. Keeping the gameplay fresh and improved for all players regardless of whether they purchased the DLC while at the same time introducing content in the DLC to convince players to buy. Some people thought that the changes to the base game involving cultures were enough and decided to skip on Royal Court because of this. Creating customized hybrid cultures is great, though. A lot of people may not see the value in creating customized cultures, though.

The throne room part of RC wasn't the greatest. The limited space provided for displaying stuff hurts. If you conquer or inherit the HRE, England, or the Byzantine Empires (I haven't really done much outside of these) in 1066, you get great artifacts with little effort but no real place to put new pedestal items. If you didn't need to create a cadet branch after inheriting/conquering, two of your three banner spots are taken (unless your house banner is crap, then you only have one taken because you should be the dynasty head). It also is pretty jarring if your character decides to come before your throne during a petition ceremony

• 1Like
Reactions:
Same thing happened to Total War: Three Kingdoms and possibly other Total War games as well. The free patches that released alongside the DLC always overshadowed the DLC. I think that had to do with why the DLCs didn't sell well at all, which eventually led to them abandoning the game, even though they still had plans for future DLCs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Same thing happened to Total War: Three Kingdoms and possibly other Total War games as well. The free patches that released alongside the DLC always overshadowed the DLC. I think that had to do with why the DLCs didn't sell well at all, which eventually led to them abandoning the game, even though they still had plans for future DLCs.
I like this approach of developers because paywalling important game mechanics would limit further development of the game. And I try to consider everything together, patch and paid content. If the patch content is seriously good, I'll gladly buy the DLC to support the developers. The reworking of the cultures was good. But was it good enough for me to pay 30 euros for it if nothing else in the DLC interested me? It wasn't, but I got it because I bought the Royal Edition. Patch content from TaT looks interesting so far too, regencies are a great addition that I'd happily pay some 10 euros for. But if nothing else interests me, it really won't be worth 30 euros to me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I find this attitude really weird. To me the free patches are something i would want to support with money. It is ultimately always better for long term health of the game - and thus for me. That's why i buy the DLC, and why i would buy it even if it was only mildly interesting to me.
This is a model that just works a lot better for everyone involved. I do consider the free features part of what i pay for in DLC.

Also, some people have less money available and can't support this model as i choose to or buy the paywalled content. They still get some benefits from it and that's another reason why i like it. The game grows for the entire community and it drastically reduces the amount of DLC-walled mods, too. Anyone can make or use mods with the struggle mechanic, whether they own FoI or not. Even if you don't buy T&T, you will probably see the mechanics be used in big mods like RICE or EK2. (once the mod devs get around to it.)
That is very user-friendly and something i am willing to pay for. User-friendliness is rather rare (especially from bigger publishers), so i really don't want them to decide to stop it, because too many people just enjoy the free features and don't buy the DLCs that pay for their development.

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I find this attitude really weird. To me the free patches are something i would want to support with money. It is ultimately always better for long term health of the game - and thus for me. That's why i buy the DLC, and why i would buy it even if it was only mildly interesting to me.
This is a model that just works a lot better for everyone involved. I do consider the free features part of what i pay for in DLC.

Also, some people have less money available and can't support this model as i choose to or buy the paywalled content. They still get some benefits from it and that's another reason why i like it. The game grows for the entire community and it drastically reduces the amount of DLC-walled mods, too. Anyone can make or use mods with the struggle mechanic, whether they own FoI or not. Even if you don't buy T&T, you will probably see the mechanics be used in big mods like RICE or EK2. (once the mod devs get around to it.)
That is very user-friendly and something i am willing to pay for. User-friendliness is rather rare (especially from bigger publishers), so i really don't want them to decide to stop it, because too many people just enjoy the free features and don't buy the DLCs that pay for their development.

Yeah I second this - and I ought to say that I agree with your comments on my initial post.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wait, this is the major expansion? When I saw the description of content being added I assumed it'd be a new twist on flavor packs where it's focused on an activity type instead of a region. Maybe even a more ambitious event pack. But an expansion?

First of all, even Royal Court did not live up to Paradox's justification of the DLC price hike (and longer development time, though in this specific case I guess a good share of that time was making the courts 3D for some reason) where the DLCs were supposed to be significantly larger than in previous PDX games, yet it ended with Paradox's own Steam description listing the features showing it has less than CK2's Holy Fury (whose own Steam description didn't even list everything and left some features simply jumbled together under the "and more" bullet point). And this one has much less than content advertised than Royal Court.

Secondly, a second expansion focusing on the more personal aspect of the game when it is still lacking in uniqueness for historical religions and culture groups that didn't have a flavor pack, more varied government forms and generally lacks strategic depth? Really? I guess the "strategy" part of grand strategy game as it concerns CK3 crawled into some ditch and died while I wasn't looking.

Also, judging by it's Steam description I'll be shocked if the "major expansion feature" of actually fighting in tournaments doesn't largely ape the duel system from Northern Lord('s free patch).

Reactions:
Secondly, a second expansion focusing on the more personal aspect of the game
Yes. They said so in the floorplan dev diary. The time to be shocked was then.

It seems like a lot of people only remember the pretty picture, not the plainly stated disclaimers attached to it.

Reactions:
Yes. They said so in the floorplan dev diary. The time to be shocked was then.

It seems like a lot of people only remember the pretty picture, not the plainly stated disclaimers attached to it.
Replace shock with disappointment and you'll actually be in the right ballpark. Especially since the actual initial Dev diary about tournaments and whatnot stating the vision doesn't mention that it is the major expansion even once. It's almost as if I expressed surprise about it being the case right at the start of the comment you just quoted and it's almost as if there was a reason for that.

Reactions:
Wait, this is the major expansion? When I saw the description of content being added I assumed it'd be a new twist on flavor packs where it's focused on an activity type instead of a region. Maybe even a more ambitious event pack. But an expansion?

First of all, even Royal Court did not live up to Paradox's justification of the DLC price hike (and longer development time, though in this specific case I guess a good share of that time was making the courts 3D for some reason) where the DLCs were supposed to be significantly larger than in previous PDX games, yet it ended with Paradox's own Steam description listing the features showing it has less than CK2's Holy Fury (whose own Steam description didn't even list everything and left some features simply jumbled together under the "and more" bullet point). And this one has much less than content advertised than Royal Court.

Secondly, a second expansion focusing on the more personal aspect of the game when it is still lacking in uniqueness for historical religions and culture groups that didn't have a flavor pack, more varied government forms and generally lacks strategic depth? Really? I guess the "strategy" part of grand strategy game as it concerns CK3 crawled into some ditch and died while I wasn't looking.

Also, judging by it's Steam description I'll be shocked if the "major expansion feature" of actually fighting in tournaments doesn't largely ape the duel system from Northern Lord('s free patch).
The biggest things coming are the travel system and regency, which are both in the free patch. Would you rather have them in the DLC so you'd be more comfortable calling it a "major expansion"? Is it somehow better to have the substantial updates locked behind a paywall instead of having them in the base game?

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Wanderers and Striders: Playable Landless Courtiers would be the best add-on ever possible. Tournaments sound great as an addition to the vanilla experience.
I’m not sure I want landless courier play in CK, but I do know that several Romance of the Three Kingdoms entries allow you to play landless courtiers if you’re interested in that sort of thing.

Reactions:
I’m not sure I want landless courier play in CK, but I do know that several Romance of the Three Kingdoms entries allow you to play landless courtiers if you’re interested in that sort of thing.
Mount and Blade comes to mind as well

Reactions:
The biggest things coming are the travel system and regency, which are both in the free patch. Would you rather have them in the DLC so you'd be more comfortable calling it a "major expansion"? Is it somehow better to have the substantial updates locked behind a paywall instead of having them in the base game?
Because apparently other PDX games don't have free patches and this totally unique feature of CK3 is what makes it live up to Paradox's justifications pertaining to the pricing of its DLCs compared to their other titles. Oh, wait...

And since I didn't actually say a word about the free patch content, if you can't defend the game without putting words in mouths of people offering mild criticism, rethink the reason as to why you're even doing it to begin with.

Substantial updates in base game content are fine and dandy. But they aren't excuse for major expansions to not be, you know, major. Especially since the Paradox statement about their pricing changes for CK3 compared to the rest of their grand strategy games made a clear distinction between free patches and the DLCs they are accompanying. And the justification about the pricing of major DLCs was predisposed on their content and their content alone.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I really just wanted a big expasion that made the game deeper. side note I just checked Steam and Royal Court is on sale for 30$ !!!! WHAT ! how is that worth 30$ jesus christ paradox o_O im pretty sure Rajas of india wasnt even that expensive.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I really just wanted a big expasion that made the game deeper. side note I just checked Steam and Royal Court is on sale for 30$ !!!! WHAT ! how is that worth 30$ jesus christ paradox o_O im pretty sure Rajas of india wasnt even that expensive.
It was also released 9 years ago. Things have got more expensive in that time frame, and the approach to DLC has also changed.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
It was also released 9 years ago. Things have got more expensive in that time frame, and the approach to DLC has also changed.
According to a website that I found through Google search, average annual inflation since 2014 is 2.72%. Difficulties with COVID made making the DLC harder. $30 today would be $23.56 back in 2014.

Reactions:
Because apparently other PDX games don't have free patches and this totally unique feature of CK3 is what makes it live up to Paradox's justifications pertaining to the pricing of its DLCs compared to their other titles. Oh, wait...

And since I didn't actually say a word about the free patch content, if you can't defend the game without putting words in mouths of people offering mild criticism, rethink the reason as to why you're even doing it to begin with.

Substantial updates in base game content are fine and dandy. But they aren't excuse for major expansions to not be, you know, major. Especially since the Paradox statement about their pricing changes for CK3 compared to the rest of their grand strategy games made a clear distinction between free patches and the DLCs they are accompanying. And the justification about the pricing of major DLCs was predisposed on their content and their content alone.
Well, what do you consider a major DLC then? Because they're simply not going to put the big substantial game changing mechanics into a DLC package. They give the game changers for free and have the DLC as extra goodies and as a way for players to support the devs.
I won't argue about the price. That's your business whether you think its worth the price or not. I'm personally willing to pay it to support the development at the very least...

• 1Like
Reactions: