• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3: Tours and Tournaments - The Vision

Greetings!

Come one, come all! The grand tournament awaits your attendance - your steeds have been readied and your entourage assembled for the journey ahead! It’s time to show the world your graciousness as host and worth in the arena… but to get there, we’re better off routing our journey around the treacherous mountain passes of Stipon, as I hear they’ve been crawling with highwaymen since your, ahem, dalliance with Duke Andronikos’ wife during his son's wedding. Then there’s the matter of your unruly vassals: perhaps it’s time for a royal tour?

The life of a ruler was always active - there were many things to attend to, and most courts at the time were itinerant, roaming from place to place constantly. Tours and Tournaments aims to give rulers plenty of things to do, especially during times of peace, by introducing new systems of Travel and Grand Activities!

As mentioned in the Floorplan Dev Diary, we want to reinforce the connection between character and map - after all, the game is played on a beautiful medieval map, and no longer will the only time your ruler leaves the safety of their capital be when you’re at war. There’s an entire world out there to explore, filled with both great opportunities and adventurous obstacles.

By assembling an entourage, selecting options for your travel, and hiring a caravan master, you are ready to set out on the road and travel to activities across the world. The Travel system is an integral part of activities, with both the host and guests traveling to reach them - creating a stronger feeling of place as you see your route being plotted and your character moving directly on the map.
3.png

[Image: The Duke of Bohemia setting out on a Tour]

So what are these activities you can travel to, you ask? There’s plenty - firstly we’ve updated and revamped Feasts, Hunts, and Pilgrimages completely - the bread-and-butter of activities. There’s now a reason to hunt in a specific forest within your domain, as a ferocious wolf or legendary stag might have been spotted there - or a reason to hold a feast in a holding with leisure palaces, as you might need to impress a particularly unruly vassal. Pilgrimages will now be epic journeys, potentially taking years if you’re going far - making it necessary for a regent to rule in your stead. All activities have dedicated interfaces with easily-accessible information and beautiful art to set the scene.

Of course, there are Grand activities that are even more impactful - each of them different in their own magnificent way! They have Options and Intents which affect rewards and what type of content you might encounter. Our aim is to make each activity have a clear purpose and be interesting in its own right, therefore we chose to make Grand Tournaments, Grand Tours, and Grand Weddings - three vastly different activities with vastly different executions and purposes!
2.png

[Image: Example of Activity Types, initial step]

Grand Tournaments are where you go to test your mettle: spectacles to be announced far and wide, with rewards ranging from precious trinkets to fabulous prizes! Grand Tournaments aren’t only for martially-inclined characters - while there are contests such as melees and jousts, there are also more cerebral ones such as recitals or erudite board games. You can join your knights in slippery wrestling, eagle-eyed archery, dangerous horse racing, and vicious team melees - all clad in gleaming armor brandishing your coat of arms for the masses to see! Participating and winning in these contests will see your characters and knights grow in skill and receive prizes; living the life of a frequent tournament-goer is a valid path to take. Exploring the tournament Locale and choosing the right Intents might help you out in other ways as well, be it finding friends or dispatching rivals. If you’re in need of renown, hosting tournaments yourself will grow your standing significantly, as rulers from foreign realms come flocking to the fateful grounds, eager to compete!
4.png

[Image: Snapshot of part of the Tournament UI. Tournaments, unlike other Grand Activities, have an extra special interface - more on that in the Tournaments Dev Diary]

Grand Tours see you assemble your entire court and set out to visit vassals in your realm - an activity commonly undertaken by medieval rulers. This is a way to assert your overlordship, while also enjoying the hospitality your vassals have to offer. There are various paths to take: Intimidation, Majesty, or Taxation, all affecting the rewards and opinions of your vassals. At its core, Tours are a tool for realm stability - and something a newly-ascended ruler should undertake quite early to avoid factions and revolts. You also get to choose between ways of approaching your vassals individually; you might want to tour the grounds, observe a cultural festival, or simply have a private dinner hosted for you.

Grand Weddings allow you to marry above your station… if you’re willing to pay the cost! They also provide ample opportunity for diplomatic shenanigans, such as impressing neighboring rulers into becoming vassals, forming hard-to-get alliances, or creating favorable matches for your children. Of course, these spectacles come with everything you’d expect out of a medieval ceremony - revelries, drama, and even a bedding ritual at the end. Or you can invite a group of mercenaries to color the halls crimson with the blood of the other House, should you desire it.
1.png

[Image: Planning a Grand Wedding]

As some of you managed to cleverly figure out, there’s also a brand-new regency system where we’ve made sure that it’s both interesting to have and to be a regent. Loyal regents help you by dutifully fulfilling their Mandates, and being the regent of your liege gives you opportunities to (with varying degrees of bloodshed) seize the throne for yourself, should you be doing a “good” job.

There’s also a myriad of other changes which we’ll go into in future dev diaries - smaller systemic updates to buildings, knights, vassal opinions, and so on - all to support a more interesting and living map, where your choices matter more.

So take to the road, ruler - great opportunities await!

Tours and Tournaments will be released in late spring, and until the release we will have weekly Dev Diaries.

Don’t forget to wishlist:
Wishlist on Steam
Microsoft Store

Watch the trailer here!

• 268Like
  • 141Love
  • 7Haha
Reactions:
Welp guess we have to wait (at least) another year for functional crusades, meaningful religions, and distinct governments. Glad we're finally getting regents, but I'm really puzzled why the rest of this stuff is the priority when so much of the rest of the game is lacking mechanically.
I believe this is a strong potential mechanic if implemented in the future.

Getting to and from crusades becomes interesting. You might have to actually plan a long voyage to Jerusalem from England, choosing whether you should travel with the army, or in style, enabling events (I mean, read up on everything that happened on the way to the crusades)

Distinct governments as well, i'd love to be able to set up a large trade voyage across different lands.

I get the issue but I think this is a very big potentially strong mechanic both for modders and future development, this seems very cool.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Do you really think that they are gonna lay out every itty bitty feature in the very first Dev Diary? If the following ones disappoint you and everyone else, then I encourage you to be upset. But people are rushing to conclusions, are they not?
No, of course they not. However, with this post, they've set the stage for what they view as the most important features for a year's worth of development of the game. Based on those features, I dislike the prioritizations they made, so I'm voicing my displeasure.

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
CK3 did, on design and architectural level religions far better than CK2.
However instead of using that great potential as a foundation of an engine capable of telling the story of the Great Western and Eastern Schisms and the Church Councils, it has decided to go for bespoke heresies. Rather meh for me.
It's been a long time and I, as a fan, feel abandoned. CK3 is not becoming more of a grand strategy. It's getting more of the "story content", which is not, what I come for, when launching PDS games.
Now it builds the routing systems, but instead of making it a key government mechanic for the rex itinerans, the Medieval travelling kings governing by travelling, we get this.
I don't share the CK3 vision presented by consecutive DLCs.
I want a medieval dynastical feudal ruler simulator. That's what CK3 should strive to become. As of now, I think I'll load up CK2 with HIP and some additional bells and whistles.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I've wanted more peacetime content, more things to spend my gold on, more realistic mechanics for travel. In that regard my expectations are met. Regencies are also not unexpected at this point.

I just wish coronations were part of it. And that there was a release date.

• 30Like
Reactions:
Cool concept.

It also adds some stuff that people has been asking for (Weddings are back, visiting your realm is neat).
Seems like diplomacy will be expanded a bit, with the tours and regencies.
Regents won't just take charge (apparently) when the ruler is incapable (sick, old), but also when he's simply not available (travelling? prisoner? partying?). This can be great, it might encourage you to pick a ''bad'' ruler that does nothing but party, while your capable regent takes charge of everything. And vice versa, support a bad king so you can be their regent.

They've also mentioned a different in styles and clothes for early and late western Europe. Cool, cool.

HOWEVER, no release date (Jesus Christ, it's been more than 2 years since the game launched...), no price tag (I assume 30€, but frankly, what we've been shown seems like 20€, like CK2 expansions).
It's also more content for Western Europe... and it's not even deep stuff.

Religion is still a joke in the game. Economy and warfare are barebones.
For people like me, starving for content, this doesn't seem like much, but it will probably be a nice addition for those that pick up the game in 3 years.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I like this, but as others are saying, roleplay would be far better if we had mechanics to reinforce the idea of ruling as a monarch, not just their personal lives.

• 9Like
Reactions:
That's good content.

I hoped more mechanical changes, and I don't really cared about tournaments at all, but you hook me interested. This looks polished and flexible.

Ok Paradox, show me where this goes.

• 24Like
Reactions:
Looks nice for a first look :)

I especially like weddings getting some (bloody) love, regencies and a traveling court. The changes to hunfts/feasts/pilgrimages are welcome as well, as those activities currently soon become too repetitive.

Does this come with a tweaking of existing events to make location matter more? Or can you still go on a fishing trip - not to a pond in your forest, but into another realm hundreds of miles away. Will you still randomly encounter foreign rulers on a stroll through your castle or town?

Will pre-existing events be modified to take into account the location of your character?
Yes, absolutely. Events needs (beside other restrictions) to pick geographically resonable participants or they will continue to break immersion, inclulding the increase amount provided by this DLC in that regard.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I've wanted more peacetime content, more things to spend my gold on, more realistic mechanics for travel. In that regard my expectations are met. Regencies are also not unexpected at this point.

I just wish coronations were part of it. And that there was a release date.
More expenses are a big one for me, too. I've always wanted gold to be plausibly easy come, easy go - an abundance of sources of income, but always an even greater plethora of things to spend it on, and this sounds like it will check a lot of those boxes nicely.

• 8Like
Reactions:
So initial response is undecided.

The key issue with Royal Court was it was a function I could largely ignore. There was no real motivation for me as a player to ever Hold Court beyond pure RP.

I think if they can provide a motivation for why I as a player should plan a big wedding or tournament: clear benefits as well as obvious risks. Then it will be a much more rewarding mechanic.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Gotta love how this announcement shows a critical flaw in the game’s direction with a simple line: “duke” andronikos. The fact that a game about the Middle Ages still shows the Eastern Roman Empire as just another feudal state years after it’s launch is crazy, and another commenter pointed out how the papacy still has no influence on the monarchs of Europe, and they barely interact with each other beyond the player going “gib gold” whenever they get 250 piety. There is a reason I’m more excited for first contact, the story pack for stellaris then this, a full expansion: because first contact has clear mechanical impact, that serves rp, but primarily focuses on mechanical impact to tell those stories. This looks like just another event spammer like royal court. The only reason I’m still playing ck3 at this point is because of the graphical and ui improvement over ck2 and my 100 mod mod list with mods like dtr which add some mechanical improvements.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
I believe this is a strong potential mechanic if implemented in the future.
I've been saying this line for years but unfortunately it feels like the "if implemented in the future" part gets more and more difficult each discrete and separate system they tack on while the underlying mechanics are still broken.

The court system is a strong potential mechanic, but it's poorly implemented, repetitive, and takes me out of the game more often than it immerses me.

The artifact system is a strong potential mechanic, but it's poorly implemented, a chore to manage, and there's very little in terms of concrete benefit besides a few numbers going up.

The struggle system is a strong potential mechanic, but there's been nothing done with it outside the incredibly limited scope of Iberia.

I'd vastly prefer these systems be strengthened and improved before adding ANOTHER system that has strong potential.

Again, at least we're getting regents, that's a step in the right direction, but it's hard to be excited about this when I've been disappointed by the direction of the DLCs so far and, in spite them saying that they're listening and will have something for the more mechanically inclined players, it feels like we're getting more half-baked RP stuff that's trying to paint over the gaping hole in the wall.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I honestly don't understand why so many people seem to be annoyed or angry about this. It gives a lot of things that would make the game better, like meaningful regencies and expanded pilgrimages and interactions with vassals.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I like the new tour system. This is what I always wanted, because medieval rulers in Europe traveled alot.
Agreed. I hope it also makes it harder to keep large realms together - IRL the Emperors of the HRE had to split time between the North and South of the realm, usually leading to trouble in any area from which they were away.

• 7Like
Reactions: