• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #93 - Turmoil in the Peninsula

Greetings!

Winter is slowly fading behind us (at least in the northern hemisphere), and spring is starting to take over. A new season calls for an announcement. I’m happy to present you with our next Flavor Pack: Fate of Iberia, due to be released on the 31st of May! We are obviously talking about Mediterranean Iberia, not the former Kingdom in Georgia.

In addition to being one of the most played regions, the Iberian peninsula is interesting because of the complexity of the geopolitical situation, and the richness of the events occurring during the time period of Crusader Kings 3. It gives us a good opportunity to bring more flavor for both the Christians and Muslims living there.

With this new flavor pack, we want to offer you the opportunity to truly decide the fate of the whole peninsula, either by reenacting history or creating an alternative that pleases you more. In order to model the complexity of the situation, we are introducing a new system, the Struggle. It will be changing the rules and increasing the challenge for the rulers within the Iberian peninsula. You can have an idea of how the game will be affected in the screenshot below. The effects will vary a lot depending on the stage of the struggle, but we will go into details in the next dev diary :)

20220419131254_1.jpg

The Struggle will both create new opportunities and add constraints for the rulers within Iberia.

A new 867 bookmark features a revamped Iberian cast of characters, giving players the perfect place to jump in and deflect history as they see fit. The Struggle will persist into the 1066 start date as well. The bookmark lets you choose between different vassals, either from the Christian Kingdoms, or Al-Andalus. Each of them offers different starting challenges and choices.. For instance, in the south, Emir Adanis and Ibn Marwan are both Dukes under the Sultanate of Al-Andalus. But they also are neighbors and rivals. Starting with one of them will certainly imply crossing swords and scheming against the other.

Screenshot of the new Iberian bookmark
The new 867 bookmark will be available for everyone, while being more interesting to experience if you own Fate of Iberia

We also seized the opportunity to update the map, refining the county and duchy divisions, as well as the cultures and faiths. This means the stage is more accurately set for the start of our game.

Screenshot of the new county division in Iberia

We mostly focused on the Northern part of the region.

20220419103731_1.jpg

The new culture set up for the year 867

20220419103821_1.jpg

The new faith set up for the year 867

You might have noticed the addition of the Mozarabic faith, but again, we will detail that in a future dev diary, along with the rest of the content you can expect from a Flavor Pack!

We are excited to go into the details and share all of this with you in the coming weeks! Until then, I wish you a lovely day and enjoy the trailer!

Cheers,

P.S.: While we do not expect the save versions to be incompatible, please make sure you wrap up your previous playthrough to ensure a seamless transition. If you encounter issues, you can of course roll these saves back to a previous version UNLESS you are playing in Ironman.

• 185Like
  • 86Love
Reactions:
[Rumor] The DLC is all about PARADOX TINTO struggling in Iberia to get everything stabilize. :)

• 74Haha
  • 5Like
Reactions:
This looks nice!

I must ask, though, what is the reasoning behind announcing new DLCs only a few weeks away from when they'll be released? Six weeks seems very short compared to all of the DDs you could release about Fate of Iberia.

• 4Like
Reactions:
"Struggles" could be a massively modular mechanic and is hugely exciting to see how it will be implemented and what it can do. From the Danelaw in England to the Outremer in the Near East to the struggle of the Khans to unite their clans, this mechanic could be the start of the next big thing for CK3. However, if its just mission-trees-by-any-other-name or something easily broken, then this could also be a big disappointment.

Edit: There is a LOT more information available about this system over on the steam page, especially in the screenshots. Seems like my fears of it being mission trees are allayed (for now).

Last edited:
  • 47Like
Reactions:
Greetings!

Winter is slowly fading behind us (at least in the northern hemisphere), and spring is starting to take over. A new season calls for an announcement. I’m happy to present you with our next Flavor Pack: Fate of Iberia, due to be released on the 31st of May! We are obviously talking about Mediterranean Iberia, not the former Kingdom in Georgia.

In addition to being one of the most played regions, the Iberian peninsula is interesting because of the complexity of the geopolitical situation, and the richness of the events occurring during the time period of Crusader Kings 3. It gives us a good opportunity to bring more flavor for both the Christians and Muslims living there.

With this new flavor pack, we want to offer you the opportunity to truly decide the fate of the whole peninsula, either by reenacting history or creating an alternative that pleases you more. In order to model the complexity of the situation, we are introducing a new system, the Struggle. It will be changing the rules and increasing the challenge for the rulers within the Iberian peninsula. You can have an idea of how the game will be affected in the screenshot below. The effects will vary a lot depending on the stage of the struggle, but we will go into details in the next dev diary :)

View attachment 830547
The Struggle will both create new opportunities and add constraints for the rulers within Iberia.

A new 867 bookmark features a revamped Iberian cast of characters, giving players the perfect place to jump in and deflect history as they see fit. The Struggle will persist into the 1066 start date as well. The bookmark lets you choose between different vassals, either from the Christian Kingdoms, or Al-Andalus. Each of them offers different starting challenges and choices.. For instance, in the south, Emir Adanis and Ibn Marwan are both Dukes under the Sultanate of Al-Andalus. But they also are neighbors and rivals. Starting with one of them will certainly imply crossing swords and scheming against the other.

View attachment 830533The new 867 bookmark will be available for everyone, while being more interesting to experience if you own Fate of Iberia

We also seized the opportunity to update the map, refining the county and duchy divisions, as well as the cultures and faiths. This means the stage is more accurately set for the start of our game.

View attachment 830535
We mostly focused on the Northern part of the region.

View attachment 830536
The new culture set up for the year 867

View attachment 830537
The new faith set up for the year 867

You might have noticed the addition of the Mozarabic faith, but again, we will detail that in a future dev diary, along with the rest of the content you can expect from a Flavor Pack!

We are excited to go into the details and share all of this with you in the coming weeks! Until then, I wish you a lovely day and enjoy the trailer!

Cheers,

P.S.: While we do not expect the save versions to be incompatible, please make sure you wrap up your previous playthrough to ensure a seamless transition. If you encounter issues, you can of course roll these saves back to a previous version UNLESS you are playing in Ironman.
maybe its a long shot but i like that this is a step towards more dynamic faith relations and I hope in the future that this will lead to the system being dynamic and gluid across the world.

• 6Like
Reactions:
So, can I join the struggles as an outsider invader? Let's say I start as my boy hasteinn. If conquer de balleares do I join up in the struggle?

Do I have to be christian or muslim to participate?

• 9Like
Reactions:
This makes me incredibly happy. For one, Iberia is just a fun and dynamic place to play.

But also because the "Iberian Struggle" screenshot shows Paradox is finally adding adding mechanics to make different areas of the world unique. It's something I've always felt Crusader Kings has lacked, and as the game grows will help to differentiate the different parts of the world. I could totally see a more robust HRE, Theme system for Byzantium, and so on.

• 9Like
Reactions: