• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #85 - An Artifact's Life

Hello and welcome to Dev Diary 85 for Crusader Kings III!
This is Areysak, Content Designer (some of you might remember me from Imperator).

As the release date draws nearer and nearer, I’m here to talk to you about Artifacts. Again?! - you are probably thinking. YES, because artifacts still have more to offer! Let’s take a closer look.

First, you probably know by now that artifacts are an investment that requires time and gold. An inspired character makes them for you, but how can you make them feel like they are really yours?

… Why not inscribe your name on them!

While an inspired character is hard at work making a fancy artifact for you, they might ask for your input on dedications: do you want this artifact to preserve the glory of your name for posterity? Or maybe you want to impress your lover, memorialize your deceased soulmate, or even make the artifact testify to your faith. A dedication is forever!

Event to add dedications to artifacts in the making

Event to add dedications to artifacts in the making

Dedicated artifact

Occasionally, an inspired character might also seek your input on what functionalities you expect out of their artifact. Should your armor shine so bright that all your knights are inspired to greatness on the battlefield whenever you lead them, or should it favor practicality and make you more effective in mountain areas? You can choose an angle for your artifact that will make certain modifiers more likely to appear at creation.

Event to set the artifact’s focus

On a separate topic, artifacts don’t exist in a void, but are living items in a living world, meant to be used, exchanged, stolen… and damaged. With use and time, an artifact’s durability lowers. What happens when your grandpa’s armor gets rusty, or your sword loses its edge? You need an expert! The Antiquarian at your court specializes not only in maintaining but also in repairing your artifacts. With just a couple of clicks (and some gold) your artifacts will be as good as new!

Repair interface

Sometimes, however, just repairing an artifact doesn’t really strike your fancy… Grandpa’s armor has seen its fair share of adventures, but it’s ancient, and you have newer and cooler stuff to wear! Before you hit a flea market to get rid of it (and possibly have Grandpa curse you from his grave), you have another choice: reforge! By reforging an inventory artifact, you change it into a pedestal artifact to expose in your court. Of course, its modifiers will change accordingly - wearing armor might make you tougher to kill, but it will hardly be of any help if it stays on a stand by your throne! On the other hand, your courtiers might be impressed by its fine decoration.

Reforge interface

Reforged armor

Reforged weapon

In some cases, however, you might not care enough about an artifact to repair or reforge it… When artifacts reach 0 durability they get destroyed and disappear from the game. Before that happens, however, other possibilities might open up for you through events. Perhaps a scrap collector will offer to buy it in exchange for some gold (don’t expect too much, though, they collect scraps, not riches!), or your antiquarian might find a way to repurpose it.

Event for decaying artifacts

Event for decaying artifacts

Finally, some artifacts gain a reputation or a story through time! The sword of an often-triumphant general will be remembered as a fearsome weapon, while the crown that sat on the heads of your dynastic predecessors for generations will be recognized as a symbol of your people. But be careful, because if either you or your artifact gain an ominous reputation, your artifact might be known as a cursed item!

Crown with a reputation

Event from an artifact's life

Armor gains a reputation

An artifact can gain a reputation

That’s it for today! I hope you enjoyed this DD, and are looking forward to next month’s release as much as we are!

• 97Like
  • 39Love
Reactions:
Hi, thanks for the DD, will the curse / blessing be permanent ? What does it bring to the artifacts ? Dread / Piety ?

• 13Like
Reactions:
The artifact system looks great and seems to be a major upgrade from CK2 but will we see items from mythology return like Mjolnir? CK3 hasn't really introduced supernatural elements compared to CK2 like secret societies and those artifacts.
Looking forward to the update!

• 1Like
Reactions:
As the release date draws nearer and nearer, I’m here to talk to you about Artifacts. Again?! - you are probably thinking. YES, because artifacts still have more to offer!
Shame that Inspiration mechanic related to it is still ridiculous as it was in the first diaries though

Shame that so many people here are fine with such shallow and non-sensical mechanic too

Last edited:
Reactions:
Artifacts gaining a reputation sounds *really* good. Ideally, this system can actually make you feel attached to your stuff, so you don't just discard it as soon as you find a slightly better one. Really looking forward to release. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The artifact system looks great and seems to be a major upgrade from CK2 but will we see items from mythology return like Mjolnir? CK3 hasn't really introduced supernatural elements compared to CK2 like secret societies and those artifacts.

There is no Mjölnir in the game :)

Some artifacts claimed to be items from legends can show up, like for instance Joyeuese and even the Ark of the Convenant (as was shown previously), but they are generally court artifacts and their effects are meant to reflect their reputation more than any true supernatural abilities. :)

• 18Like
Reactions:
Is there going to be a lot of artifact bloat? "Steel mail" feels like its on its way toward that.

It looks like every item will end up being considered one. Thus we'll have a ton of them. Rather than having artifacts that are significant in some way.

Problem with this is if you have a character with a mediocre set of armour and a pretty bad iron longsword. If this has to be shown. What were they using before? The assumption/abstraction is that they already had something of, at least, average quality.

Feels like it would be more elegant to have an event pop up saying "oh your x weapon is now famous/well known" after you fight a lot. Which then has the event window give you options of what weapon you were using as your main thing. Sword, axe, spear etc. Then it gets added to your artifact list due to it now having some significance.

Just seems a bit bizarre and bloaty if you have a ton of pretty generic "artifacts" floating about. Don't really deserve the title of artifact if they're generic items.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is there any penalty if you lose certain artifact (like crown)?

How does the naming works. Can you, for example, have multiple French crowns in the game (which would be stupid)?

Are crowns associated with the realm they are named of (French crown) or is this just flavour text?

How does artifact claims work? Do only original owner have claim on it or after his death his heirs?

Do heirlooms exist and does losing them cause penalty (at least for head of dynasty) as long as heirloom is not in their hands?

Overall, artifact system looks great but without good claim system this arftifacts will become stale soon. Another important question is how is

Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire represented in game. Does owner of the crown gets a claim to conquer HRE? If Emperor lose it are there any negatives to it? It would be idiotic (forgive the expression) if you could just craft another crown. AT least permanent negative modifier should be inplace in case you dont have crown. THis whole system has ton of potential but without smart claim systems and some uniqness( cant just craft mulltiple crowns) it would be kind of meh. Crown and regalia represented authority. Yes, kings crafted their own personal regalia to represent their fortune but without Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire, emperor reign would never be legitimate no matter the wealth.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think some artifacts are national treasures and shouldn't be tied to a dynasty. Like in CK2 the crowns of Byzantine and HRE were transfered to the next Emperor if I remeber correctly. I hope this is done for CK3 as well

• 2Like
Reactions:

Some artifacts claimed to be items from legends can show up, like for instance Joyeuese and even the Ark of the Convenant (as was shown previously), but they are generally court artifacts and their effects are meant to reflect their reputation more than any true supernatural abilities. :)

On a related topic, the same goes for blessed and cursed artifacts! And since I've been asked, I can confirm that the intervention of a holy figure, as suggested by the event above, can reassure your people about the non-cursed nature of a cursed artifact. Of course, they won't be successful every time... ;)
The modifiers reflect the fact that people will recognize the artifact and be intimidated or encouraged by its fame: for instance, they give fighting advantages.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Thanks for this week DD, great work.

I like it either way but it seems more like equipment and furniture than artifacts IMO. Maybe the games have changed my interpretation of the word artifact.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's great to see that the Content Designers have been productive while the artists and coders finish work on the Throne Room! These look like nice improvements to the Artifacts feature.

By the way, I hope that one of the remaining Dev Diaries will be devoted to AI improvements and bugfixes. AFAIK we haven't yet had an AI-focused dev diary in this cycle, but AI development is so important so keeping the game replayable. For example, have there been any steps towards the AI acting more strategically? How will the AI decide whether or not to reforge items? Please tell us what you've been up to.....

I seem to remember that the developers said in one of the earliest Dev Diaries that such overtly supernatural elements would not be present in the game in the early stages and I'm pleased that they've stuck to this plan.

This isn't because I'm some boring atheist who wants to exclude religion from the game. I'm a Christian and think that 'supernatural' events do take place, though I would also describe a lot of supposedly 'supernatural' events as superstition. And that's why I like the CK approach: the descriptions leave it ambiguous as to whether the effects are due to the people/artifacts/places themselves or due to the way that others perceive those people/things. That allows room for multiple interpretations. I interpret some events as (a fictional version of) the Lord's work, and others as (a fictional version of) superstition. Some players might interpret it all as superstition. A third group might want to play as though Odin was a real god with power. The ambiguity allows us to happily co-exist.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Will most religions still get unique important artifacts ? Not asking for a working staff of Moses but unique artifacts give flavor to playing a certain faith.

• 3Like
Reactions: