• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #81 - A tour of your Royal Court (Interface)

Hello there, and welcome to the eighty-first CK3 Dev Diary!

Today we are going to look at the experience of admiring your Royal Court, one of the paid features of the Expansion with the same name.

Most of the actual mechanics of the expansion should already be familiar to you if you have read previous Dev Diaries. I will refer back to these Dev Diaries where appropriate, so you can see this as a bit of a summary of what it means to preside over your own Royal Court.

That being said, we are going to talk a bit about Court Types, a minor feature for your Royal Court

Visiting your Royal Court​

When you reach the rank of King or Emperor as a Feudal or Clan Ruler, you have laid the foundation for your Royal Court. You can now go to it via a button in the main interface.

This button highlights if there is something interesting to do in your Royal Court at this moment, such as if you have new Court Artifacts.

pasted image 0 (1).png

You can also view anyone else’s Royal Court via a button next to their Character.

pasted image 0.png

The Throne Room​

Your Royal Court is split into three segments: Throne Room, Court Grandeur, and Court Artifacts

When you enter your Royal Court, you end up in your Throne Room.

pasted image 0 (2).png

Here you can see various petitioners or other goings-on in your Court, and you can choose to interact with them. These types of events are described in Dev Diary 75. If any Inspired Characters are present or have projects in progress, they are also shown here, on the left side of the screen.

2021_11_08_2.png

If there is not enough going on here, you can also choose to Hold Court, inviting Courtiers and Vassals across the Realm to grovel before you (which was shown in Dev Diary 72).

pasted image 0 (3).png

pasted image 0 (4).png

If this is your Liege’s Court, you can even approach them to hear your reasonable requests, as seen in Dev Diary 74.

pasted image 0 (5).png

Grandeur and Amenities​

Moving on to the second part of your Royal Court, which is an overview of your Court Grandeur. How much you have, various factors affecting it, and so on.

Grandeur was explained a while ago, in Dev Diary 61. Basically, it is a measure of how well known your Court is, and each Level gives you further benefits.

Your current Grandeur, Grandeur Baseline, and unlocked Grandeur Levels are shown on the large bar in the center.

In the image below, we can see we are gaining Grandeur every month due to being below our Baseline.

pasted image 0 (6).png

Our current Level is 4: while we do not have enough Grandeur to maintain this Level, we had unlocked it before, and it will thus stay unlocked for 6 months, regardless how much Grandeur we have.

pasted image 0 (7).png

We can also see that our expected Grandeur Level is 7, which we are nowhere near fulfilling.

pasted image 0 (8).png

Grandeur is also reflected in other ways. If you have high Grandeur, the UI looks more luxurious, and new (non-Artifact) furniture appears in your court.

pasted image 0 (9).png

pasted image 0 (10).png

A large source of Grandeur is which Amenities are available to your Courtiers and visitors to your court. Providing excellent Amenities is sure to make your name well known across the world.

pasted image 0 (11).png

pasted image 0 (12).png

There are two other factors affecting Grandeur, Court Language and Court Types. Court Language was already explained in Dev Diary 78, so let’s talk about Court Types.

Court Types​

With Court Types, you can choose which kind of Royal Court you want to foster. Perhaps one where martial prowess is admired, or where there is a whisper around every corner and a lover behind every curtain.

You always have the choice between two Court Types, based on the Ethos of your Culture, and changing it costs Prestige. If your Culture changes, you can still keep your old Court Type.

The type of Royal Court affects two things: what you get from your Grandeur Level, and what your Courtiers get from being part of the Court.

While some Grandeur Levels you reach are always the same regardless of your Court Type, some change somewhat. So, in a Diplomatic Court, Grandeur Level 4 may see you gaining less Tyranny, while in a Warlike Court, you may gain more Levies.

pasted image 0 (13).png

As for Courtiers, each Courtier who stays at an especially Grand Royal Court for a certain period of time (5 years) will gain a special Courtier Trait based on the Court Type

pasted image 0 (14).png

Each Trait of this type has two different levels. If your Court is at Grandeur Level 5, Courtiers get the first level, while the second level will appear at Grandeur Level 8. The second level comes with extra bonuses and can be especially useful for those you plan to be your Vassals.

pasted image 0 (15).png

Court Artifacts​

Last but certainly not least, are the Court Artifacts. We showed a few of them off in Dev Diary 69.

In short, Court Artifacts are a special type of Artifacts. These are large furniture and other decorative items you display inside your Royal Court. This makes them distinct from your Inventory Artifacts described in last week's Dev Diary as you are not hauling them around everywhere.

When entering this part of the Royal Court, you can see all spots where you can place Court Artifacts

2021_11_09_1.png

Just like Inventory Artifacts, they give you a bonus if they are actively on display in your Royal Court. The primary purpose of Court Artifacts is to increase your Court Grandeur, but some have additional effects.

pasted image 0 (16).png

For most Court Artifacts, there is more than one slot to place them. Perhaps that tapestry would look better on that other wall?

swap.gif

End of the Tour​

That is all for this week, thank you for reading!

Attachments

• 2021_11_08_2.png
    2021_11_08_2.png
    2,8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2021_11_08_2.png
    2021_11_08_2.png
    2,8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2021_11_09_1.png
    2021_11_09_1.png
    2,6 MB · Views: 0
  • 127Like
  • 58Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
You will not, because how dare you expect that much effort lol
The coming DLC is going to be late because of intractable bugs that need to be put down before release. I'd say the Devs are putting out plenty of effort. If the 3D Court pans out well, I'm sure other Courts will be brought out later.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
The coming DLC is going to be late because of intractable bugs that need to be put down before release. I'd say the Devs are putting out plenty of effort. If the 3D Court pans out well, I'm sure other Courts will be brought out later.

Sorry bud, for the price tag, missing a culture that people already paid money for is unacceptable. This attitude is why lifeless, buggy games like this are normal now.

Reactions:
Sorry bud, for the price tag, missing a culture that people already paid money for is unacceptable. This attitude is why lifeless, buggy games like this are normal now.
But it's such a blatantly confused request... Royal court is for feudal or Clan only... NL is primarily for tribal Norse. When court culture reached Scandinavia, it was very western looking in architecture. Bergenhus castle, one of the royal residences in Norway was rectangular not unlike the one court in Caen.
Like what did you expect? A wooden hut for your misled imagination of what Scandinavians were like in the post-Viking world?

For instance:

Last edited:
Reactions:
But it's such a blatantly confused request... Royal court is for feudal or Clan only... NL is primarily for tribal Norse. When court culture reached Scandinavia, it was very western looking in architecture. Bergenhus castle, one of the royal residences in Norway was rectangular not unlike the one court in Caen.
Like what did you expect? A wooden hut for your misled imagination of what Scandinavians were like in the post-Viking world?

For instance:

I expect a 3d replica of the 2d throne room the game already has for them. Since this DLC is all meaningless fluff anyway, you damn sure better cover all the fluff. If I formed Siberia into a Feudal Empire I expect a Russian/Eastern European throne room. You can't play fast and loose with historical accuracy only when it suits you. It either matters or it does not. and Paradox has made it quite clear that it does not. So I couldn't care less if actual Vikings held court in a stereotypical fashion, because that argument implies historical accuracy matters, and clearly it does not given the nonsense the game allows.

Reactions:
This all sounds mildly interesting and kind of neat - but the more I learn about the granularity of the court system, the more I wonder: does this really help tell a better story? I can't remember ever being really interested in the particulars of how thick the mattresses in the lodgings at Charlemagne's court were.

Court interactions, fair enough, those make sense, but if I think about the narrative I build in my head during a game of CK3, I'm not sure the splendor and amenities mechanics are going to add anything.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally I have something to do, considering my passive tall playstyle. I hate painting the map, so uncivilized

I can't wait for these concepts to manifest in a Republic. Then and only then will I have a new favourite game :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will the Crusader Kings 3 map eventually expanded to possibly the same/similar size of that of Eurapa Universalis IV? With the right mods, A gaming computer to allow you speedily and smoothly play it is actually quite easy to gobble up a large percentage of the current map.
There isn't really a need for it. I can see why having Americas might be tempting when you play as a Norse character but that could be achieved simply by installing a mod with a separate New World map where you start as a viking tribal lord on Greenland or Newfoundland without the need of knowing what's going on in Scandinavia.

Yes, the medieval world was more interlinked than we tend to think (Vikings reach Americas from the east while Polynesians reach it from the west, Chinese goods are traded all the way to Great Zimbabwe, and even some inter-tribal contact exists between Australia and the nearby isles) but we haven't even reached a point when adding China is feasible (if they cut it only out of greed while leaving a place for it on the map, it would have been added in the first major DLC, not relegated into a distant unspecified future).

I can see CK4 or perhaps CK5 having the whole globe in 3D, but I highly doubt if CK3 will have any further map expansions after East Asia. Map-painting isn't the primary feature of this game. More people on the forum seem to be interested in playing barons and unlanded characters than expanding the map to Aoteroa.

Reactions:

For instance:
When i First heard about royal court as someone who plays often as a Norse First thing i was hoping for was

A table formed like a viking boat and then you put archifacts that i raided for in the room But then i found out it would be nothing Maybi it was to imaginary

There isn't really a need for it. I can see why having Americas might be tempting when you play as a Norse character but that could be achieved simply by installing a mod with a separate New World map where you start as a viking tribal lord on Greenland or Newfoundland without the need of knowing what's going on in Scandinavia.

Yes, the medieval world was more interlinked than we tend to think (Vikings reach Americas from the east while Polynesians reach it from the west, Chinese goods are traded all the way to Great Zimbabwe, and even some inter-tribal contact exists between Australia and the nearby isles) but we haven't even reached a point when adding China is feasible (if they cut it only out of greed while leaving a place for it on the map, it would have been added in the first major DLC, not relegated into a distant unspecified future).

I can see CK4 or perhaps CK5 having the whole globe in 3D, but I highly doubt if CK3 will have any further map expansions after East Asia. Map-painting isn't the primary feature of this game. More people on the forum seem to be interested in playing barons and unlanded characters than expanding the map to Aoteroa.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35935725 https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03972-8 https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...chaeology-viking-settlement-excavation-canada https://bangordailynews.com/2021/10...ry-brings-vikings-and-skraelings-full-circle/ https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160401222056.htm https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ng-discovery-north-america-canada-archaeology https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-point-rosee-l-anse-aux-meadows-a6965126.html https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/reverse-colonialism-how-inuit-conquered-vikings

However if it is preferred as more of a hypothetical alternative history exploration rather than actual historical possibility https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/reverse-colonialism-how-inuit-conquered-vikings

You don't have to link stuff that most people posting on the forums about history-themed games are aware of. In my reply I already mentioned Norse interacting with Americas, as well as other examples of intercontinental exchanges. This doesn't change the fact that the engine has its limits and for now more people are interested in making the game deeper rather than wider.

we haven't even reached a point when adding China is feasible (if they cut it only out of greed while leaving a place for it on the map, it would have been added in the first major DLC, not relegated into a distant unspecified future).
The CK3 map in the game files definitely has space for China and Southeast Asia (and possibly Japan), it's only the map shown in game that is cut down to that jaged border on the east side of the map. Though one reason for this is while there is space for China, none of the counties have been drawn (in the game files it is completely blank east of Tibet, there isn't even the shape of the landmass drawn).

Pretty sure that they don't have East Asia ready to go and are holding it back, but instead this is them planning for the future,. Because one of their problems with expanding the map in CK2 was that it meant they had to keep changing their projection and thus redraw counties already on the map. So I think for CK3 they decided on the area they'd eventually want to cover, which seems to be what we have currently plus East Asia, and figure out a projection that would let it fit in the rectangular map files. But they weren't and still aren't ready to handle adding East Asia to the map (as you said a lot of fans want them to make the game deeper, not wider, right now), so rather than having everyone look at an empty/blank area on the east side of the map, they cut off that part of the map from being shown.

So I don't know if or when they'll add East Asia, but the devs have definitely made sure to leave the door open for it.

Reactions:
You don't have to link stuff that most people posting on the forums about history-themed games are aware of. In my reply I already mentioned Norse interacting with Americas, as well as other examples of intercontinental exchanges. This doesn't change the fact that the engine has its limits and for now more people are interested in making the game deeper rather than wider.
I was simply providing newly discovered evidence that is apparently rewriting those well known chapters (in that there might have been other areas of possible Viking colonization and interaction within North America besides the historically accepted areas) of history books and also providing possible what ifs scenarios for alternative history exploration. However I apologize.