CK3 Dev Diary #77 - Becoming a Polyglot

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
1.Make going above the cap only increase stress and be very clear about this mechanic. (Red pop ups when learning more languages, like in Stellaris when choosing some decisions) Let us find other ways to get rid of said stress!
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but you don't have to forget a language to get rid of the stress, you can choose to get rid of it by other means too (hunting, decisions, etc.). Staying above the limit will periodically give you stress though, until you're at or below it again. Think of it as discontinuing your use of the language, no longer maintaining it in your head.

Has a Language map mode been added?
No, but it'd be nice... we'll consider adding it in the future (there might be more culture-related mapmodes we'd like to have, as well).

Are language families a thing? I'm thinking about getting bonuses if you already know a closely related language, i.e. having a bonus success chance to learn Spanish if you already know Italian etc.
No, but if you try to learn the language of someone sharing your culture's heritage, you'll get a bonus. A lot of very similar languages are grouped together regardless (see the culture DevDiaries).

Will we be able to create multilingual characters with the character creator by say selecting extra languages at a cost of points?
No, but good point. We'll make a note of it for the future!

Any chance that learning a foreign language can be integrated into the Ward mechanism? Similar to culture conversion when choosing who will tutor your heir.
Wards will have a chance of picking up the language of their guardian, yes. :)

• 20Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Can you please explain Language Pillars? What is a language pillar? Is it like for example Germanic (historical in game timeline context: Middle German, Old English, Dutch etc) and Romanic languages like (Italian, French, Spanish). Does it mean that culture acceptance between German culture and English culture has a better baseline acceptance than for example French culture and English culture?

Each Culture has a set of Pillars, and one of them is the Culture's Language. So for example, the Anglo-Saxon Culture has Anglic as their Language (Pillar).

• 10Like
  • 3Love
Reactions: