• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #77 - Becoming a Polyglot

Greetings!

As you all know, one of the new Cultural Pillars each Culture has is their native Language. Now, what effect does language have? At its very core, Languages affect the Baseline acceptance between cultures - if two Cultures share the same Language Pillar, they’ll like each other better. But that’s not all, characters can also learn additional languages!

So, why do you want to learn a language? Knowing a language cuts the (rather hefty) opinion penalties for Different Culture in half, both for Characters and Counties. Planning on conquering a foreign kingdom? Start your conquest by mastering their language, making subsequent control of your new subjects just that much easier! The less accepted your culture is, the more impact learning a language will have.

Now for the more pertinent question, how do you learn another language? You learn new languages through scheming!
SchemeInteraction.png

[Image showing the Learn Language interaction]

LanguageSchemeStart.png

[Image showing the Start Scheme window]

‘Learn Language’ is a Learning-based scheme, where progress and chance of success are primarily derived from how scholarly your character is. This scheme is available to everyone, even young children (who have a vastly increased chance of success/progress, by virtue of being young, less tired, and having working brains). It targets someone who natively speaks the language, having you try to emulate them. While the exact target you choose is less important than in other types of schemes, you might still get opportunities to interact with them.

Now, learning languages takes quite some time. Though it’s possible to significantly speed up the process by employing a Court Tutor!
CourtTutor.png

[Image of a Court Tutor]

You will also find that bonuses for this scheme have been added throughout the existing Lifestyle trees. Some examples:
  • Adaptive Traditions - Unlocks an additional Learn Language Scheme
  • Embassies - Increases Scheme Power
  • Chains of Loyalty - Increases Scheme Power
  • Pedagogy - Increases Scheme Success Chance
  • Open-Minded - Increases the Language Limit
  • Smooth Operator - Increases the Language Limit

If the scheme is invalidated by, for example, the target dying, your progress is retained and you get the opportunity to choose a new target.
InvalidationEvent.png

[Image of Invalidation Event]

When we first talked about languages, we had some people (rightfully) point out that decreasing the chance of success the more languages you know isn’t very logical. We still needed a way to prevent characters from knowing all the languages in the world, and thus we introduced the concept of a Foreign Language Limit. This represents how many languages a character can comfortably remember.

KnownLanguages.png

[Image of Language Limit]

If a character exceeds their Foreign Language Limit, they will start getting events about feeling overwhelmed, giving you the choice between forgetting a language or gaining stress. In a sense, this system is very similar to how we handle characters having too many lovers.

Of course, a character can never forget the language that is native to their culture, and that language isn’t included in the limit (as you can see in the above screenshot, Telugu isn’t included in the limit as it is his native language).

The Foreign Language Limit is affected by many things, but primarily by a character’s Learning score, where every 5 attribute points increases the limit by one.

With this change, we’ve made it so that the more languages you know, the higher your success chance is for learning additional languages. You have the basics down already, after all.
LanguageSuccessChance.png

[Image of a success chance breakdown]

Now, the process of learning a language can be quite entertaining. There are many events that can happen along the way; being helped by friends or family, opposed by rivals, and so on. Here are a handful of examples of what can happen during the course of learning a language:

LearnLanguageEvent1.png

[Image of your Court Tutor helping you]

If you have a particularly good Court Tutor, they can guide your efforts along very speedily.

LearnLanguageEvent2.png

[Image of a rival ruining your notes]

Beware your rivals, lest they release ink-soaked birds in your study...

LearnLanguageEvent3.png

[Image of a very amorous misunderstanding]

Sometimes learning a language doesn’t result in what you’d expect...

LearnLanguageEvent4.png

[Image of the Byzantine Emperor with a “It’s just a prank, bro”-smile]

Sometimes your target might find your efforts laughable, and try to make fun of you.

LearnLanguageEvent5.png

[Image of a merchant offering you a book]

Of course, there is an opportunity to gain a trinket-slot item that’ll help your efforts along.

LearnLanguageEvent6.png

[Image of someone offering to help]

As learning a language isn’t secret, sometimes you’ll get offers from other rulers to help you… for a price.

When the scheme completes, you have a chance of success and failure. If you’re brave, you might even choose to test your new abilities right away by penning a letter to your target!
SuccessEvent.png

[Image of a successful scheme]

FailEvent.png

[Image of a failed scheme]

Of course, you might find that others are emulating you in their efforts to learn your language. This gives you the opportunity to praise their efforts, or perhaps you’d rather ridicule them?
SomeoneLearnedYourLanguage.png

[Image of someone learning your language]

That’s it for this week! Now, this isn’t the only way languages are used in the game… next week we will dive into another use for them, something which ties directly into the mechanics of the Royal Court!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 145Like
  • 62Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Perhaps it's me, but isn't forgetting a language by hand like super unrealistic?

And I absolutely get that knowing too many languages will probably be OP so there has to be a downside. For this reason I have a few alternatives that are easy to implement:

1.Make going above the cap only increase stress and be very clear about this mechanic. (Red pop ups when learning more languages, like in Stellaris when choosing some decisions) Let us find other ways to get rid of said stress! Combine this with a 'sticking' cap, if you could learn four languages and you did that, your minimum cap will be 4 regardless of modifiers. If you could learn four languages and you did not than you'd still lose that slot.

2.Make the cap a hardcap, its atleast not as mind boggling as 'unlearing' a language.

3.Make each language you learn less effective if its above the cap, see it as confusing in words or grammar, you aren't mentally able to process all that kind of info. So you mix things up more?

Of these I'd probably say the first suggestion is best though followed by the second which is unrealistic but atleast more realistic than simply forgetting a language at will.

Last edited:
  • 26Like
Reactions:
Shouldn't there be a requirement or a modifier depending on whether your tutor is bilingual or not. It feels like whether or not your tutor understands you should matter when teaching a language.

• 37Like
Reactions:
Great work and thanks for the update.

How has Latin been incorporated?

As the ‘lingua franca’ of the age, the official language of most royal courts and the language of the church, it would be odd if Latin didn’t play some role in the West.

• 55Like
Reactions:
Are language families a thing? I'm thinking about getting bonuses if you already know a closely related language, i.e. having a bonus success chance to learn Spanish if you already know Italian etc.

• 22Like
Reactions:
Hey,

Any chance that learning a foreign language can be integrated into the Ward mechanism? Similar to culture conversion when choosing who will tutor your heir.

Cheers!

• 12Like
Reactions:
It's a very interesting mechanic, but wouldn't it make more sense if the bonus in learning new languages is not a flat bonus just because you know more language, but based on if the languages you know is similar to the one you are trying to learn?

• 6Like
Reactions:
Are language families a thing? I'm thinking about getting bonuses if you already know a closely related language, i.e. having a bonus success chance to learn Spanish if you already know Italian etc.
Yes I was wondering that too, especialy since, back then, languages would have been much closer.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Learning a specific language should be a prerequisite to swapping to another culture imho. Both for decisions and wards.

Also Common Turkic is a bit broad but it should be fine considering gameplay reasons.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Great! I have a few questions:
- What makes a language available for a character to learn? Is it only if a vassal/liege speaks it?
- Is the amount of time it takes to learn a language affected by how close they are? For example, a character that speaks Spanish would take less time to learn Italian than to learn Arabic?
- Will it be possible to form new languages, as we know it happened a lot in this time in history?

• 3Like
Reactions:
1.Make going above the cap only increase stress and be very clear about this mechanic. (Red pop ups when learning more languages, like in Stellaris when choosing some decisions) Let us find other ways to get rid of said stress!
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but you don't have to forget a language to get rid of the stress, you can choose to get rid of it by other means too (hunting, decisions, etc.). Staying above the limit will periodically give you stress though, until you're at or below it again. Think of it as discontinuing your use of the language, no longer maintaining it in your head.

Has a Language map mode been added?
No, but it'd be nice... we'll consider adding it in the future (there might be more culture-related mapmodes we'd like to have, as well).

No, but if you try to learn the language of someone sharing your culture's heritage, you'll get a bonus. A lot of very similar languages are grouped together regardless (see the culture DevDiaries).

Will we be able to create multilingual characters with the character creator by say selecting extra languages at a cost of points?
No, but good point. We'll make a note of it for the future!

Any chance that learning a foreign language can be integrated into the Ward mechanism? Similar to culture conversion when choosing who will tutor your heir.
Wards will have a chance of picking up the language of their guardian, yes. :)

• 20Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Is the Language limit for characters affected by the Ethos of the culture and the Court Type? Does Grandeur level affect the Language limit? Do Emperors get more languages to learn than say a Duke who gets more than a Count? Does learning a new language help in the deliberate seduction or romance of a character who is a native speaker of the language in question? Does learning a language improve the marriage acceptance chance of getting a foreign spouse.

Does learning a new language improve scheme secrecy of Schemes that take place in a realm that uses that language as the Default Language? Does it reduce hostile scheme secrecy if the hostile schemers use the same language that your character has learned?

An example would be a French duke that becomes king of Italy and learns Italian. Does he get a bonus to detecting hostile schemes in Italy between Italian schemers? Does he get a bonus to scheme secrecy against, say a Italian duke who becomes the French king, in a French murder scheme with French-speaking agents?

• 5Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but you don't have to forget a language to get rid of the stress, you can choose to get rid of it by other means too (hunting, decisions, etc.). Staying above the limit will periodically give you stress though, until you're at or below it again. Think of it as discontinuing your use of the language, no longer maintaining it in your head.

Its more that I find the mechanic of 'unlearning' a language wildly unrealistic. Where not every mechanic has to be entirely 100% accurate, this is definitely very very unrealistic to happen in practice.

Thats why my suggestion is to not have the option to unlearn languages, but only have the stress events from knowing too much. But making it -very- clear that that is the choice you are making as a player and that that is the consequence of said choice. (E.g. ultimate psijic path in Stellaris, its made -very- clear what taking that choice is going to do)

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I like the mechanics for learning languages that have been presented so far, but will there also be a way to teach languages you know to other characters? This would be particularly relevant for heirs, but also for vassals who rule over territory of another culture.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Perhaps it's me, but isn't forgetting a language by hand like super unrealistic?

And I absolutely get that knowing too many languages will probably be OP so there has to be a downside. For this reason I have a few alternatives that are easy to implement:

1.Make going above the cap only increase stress and be very clear about this mechanic. (Red pop ups when learning more languages, like in Stellaris when choosing some decisions) Let us find other ways to get rid of said stress! Combine this with a 'sticking' cap, if you could learn four languages and you did that, your minimum cap will be 4 regardless of modifiers. If you could learn four languages and you did not than you'd still lose that slot.

2.Make the cap a hardcap, its atleast not as mind boggling as 'unlearing' a language.

3.Make each language you learn less effective if its above the cap, see it as confusing in words or grammar, you aren't mentally able to process all that kind of info. So you mix things up more?

Of these I'd probably say the first suggestion is best though followed by the second which is unrealistic but atleast more realistic than simply forgetting a language at will.

I took it as less “you click a button and your character forgets the language” and more “you stop devoting time/mental effort to practicing”, thus losing its benefits. It’s a bit more abstracted than would be ideal but for now I guess these are the systems available to work with and still a lovely addition.

• 3Like
Reactions: