• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #76 - Royal Audio

Hello!

Welcome to another Dev Diary! This time I’m back to tell and show you a little behind the scenes of what we have been doing with Audio & Music for Royal Court

The room matters!​

The introduction of Court View made us really excited in the Audio Dept and also a new challenge! After working so long with games that mainly use paper maps, finally having a 3D space there was some extra room to play around with Sound Design and also getting a bit creative.

Of course, we wanted to add sound effects onto certain different objects like fireplaces and chandeliers and also including room ambiences for each type. But we also thought it would be a perfect opportunity to give more “life” to the court rooms by adding something we call “walla”. Or perhaps known more commonly as “crowd recording”.

Since restrictions did start to loosen up more in Stockholm, (and also it’s a fun activity) we thought about recording some of our team members from the CK team (and a few more colleagues from other projects)

Now you might be wondering how you even do something like this? Of course, it requires a bit of patience and having a couple of microphones!

eh8mEDpuQPI_afcC3wJfSziRXRS0a3auCeI_J9u54ZfpHQ5TqZp-eR-WdxgpE9Zez-u-3M0-b5s_raSsFngGM83nXUACMlhLIEOhPTzQjzwbgySIWiI0svdji4XvHqotu7_mlpGF=s0

uns_HY1WP1TV7zvLzfI3DvfRnMs6z5OQtBFpKW7knH83LhmHVY6qvTTrQoslgZbKVh5U-yzWqia6j4500GszNWBRWhJY1TSc1gry2JOGyNqWgNBJMs3OhWhWBGxQsTU94A20wbVY=s0

So this is me and Tobey Evans, the Sound Designer working on Royal Court, sitting down in one of the Sound Studios and doing pre-work before the big recording session. we’re testing out all the equipment, making sure all the cable works as intended and it all sounds great!

After all that we did manage to book the biggest room we have in the office, which is called “the Library”. Not only was it to ensure that we would be able to have distance between all people while recording all their voices, but also it had the best acoustics to match the size of the Court Rooms.
TQbYbORdJnUzsMhMAi6Um9FJ6EAc3WjtWEVR_FK2e0JIKPe5t1xGHMFkZV7UrH2-WT-43N2R5Vis0v2XPpXnHzbWfMc64_53lY_pKHgxHziwfctrQi_hxvXg08ocwWxyqkhhtp70=s0

v_2DV8J2jOTaSYba85Ky6rUWjsUKdQ7eNpouoH2aiC6grpqWqI3MLvrxcqcWWg2_taH1DE9SpSloA7M3redGSgRZK4PUd1RkIw9UWr83cHQKGYQLGIKOifshAAAxcL589g9OXmp0=s0

The next question would be what kind of script we were using for this recording. It’s rather difficult to record “walla” in all languages, so instead, we did use a script made in Latin. Not because we all are fluent in Latin (would have been cool though!) but because,from my experience, that has been some of the best languages to use when you need some “gibberish” talk in the background. Especially since we had a big mix of people with different accents.
b391MHdRVJP-D9rEDJZ7ONZYET5hthKMDdprJFO6r8mQgnU8RhNxXxuy9Y_DRumzUsbUf68kMLEg-ZWZuUxREgNDsaW3qfZ5LpuQaoBozjpM2vra9pkxeVP6_LBIiHW1p3QSHzhS=s0

50FDdfNkSIB6awtETaVERVlpEkPDWCyxYn3_DJ91mgU7l3O7GUwAm6OHd9MzvceERgA50S8ehSP1ZI1UTePzKCcHAqPJ2Za8cBg9W4NXhx1IqlE5taWeeZ9Vn4O7Ng725kumkOz1=s0

It was a fun big session we had, and everyone was happy to be part of such a big team event again after not seeing each other for such a long time in person!

Jh1rRrCZ-hSqpdU_h814v4OPV66lsH2we1Q0h1j5vQj8a8uI40n7LH7sP4fvoAlpD5JWAfuso6agXI2m8qx7yWYVEU73izZ4uC9ir8GIJe3gHoGTwp8hi-V13VIaKqM-Sy-Nnxwa=s0

So we did go a bit extra to make these new fancy rooms in CK3 sounding more alive and enhance the experience for you players. :)

How will all this sound in the end? It will change depending on your Court’s Grandeur level! The higher this value, the more of the crowd you will hear in the room, (and this will also work the other way around, so less Grandeur , fewer people.

Royal Tunes​

Hi everyone, it’s Yannick and Robin from Audinity. After having written music for several Paradox games and expansions, we’re happy to be on board again for CK3: Royal Court and share some insights into the new music for this expansion!

The soundtrack for this Expansion will consist of some new ambient Mood Tracks, Cue Tracks and even a new Main Theme.

The main direction for these new tracks was trying to make them sound a bit different compared to the existing music from the base game. Medieval music can have many different sounds, but since we are at the Royal Court this time, the keyword for the music for this Expansion was “Royal”. So you can hear some powerful fanfares, noble strings, and a medieval guitar ensemble that make you feel like standing right in the King’s hall.

While the Mood Tracks will add some noble flavours to the general ambient music, the Cue Tracks will play when you are Holding Court in your Kingdom. And when starting the game, the new Main Theme will welcome you to this Expansion and to the Royal Court!

We did not only record several fantastic solo musicians playing some fancy historical instruments for this soundtrack, we also wanted to go a bit extra on the orchestral side, so we actually went to Prague and recorded the music live with the FILMharmonic Orchestra at Smecky Music Studios!

This was the studio before the recording session...

rmq6xev0JScSVzZIxob-bi1hWjWtfXI9IQmkLEDEbQ2rSKxbzHKpoDLAUXnbr7jLUWtds8o0RJLs9fdynb4lB5X64WqfCf3vN256BKAvoN4cu2l5H5xa9zwaMSA_Wu2rEFtemgDh=s0

...and this is what it looked like during the session with over 60 great musicians at work!
E0_3X9GBADuXFiusapSzv5JwZSorgb9ZEMmlVzPUcEYJIWGOfWHcBjsx0ZQz7myd7FqEPw05xPydtynq2-allpkLie4ZlFSzZl9JXZ-06QK_lSjUj9_EQ4K40y6AKj_wdnfCpd0J=s0

qnPNWdPVNuQcTLH6Q_dA3xNKSiYfmLWBK182M9i9_MtyN0S5YxCrESqIWUbURAyH77FvHVl_4E8ZCaX2hGanWpX79MOqnZEa1FzNvdog86n-zZb5DppdkopsD7jfxiiLAiLwOI8Y=s0

Two happy composers :)

We could keep writing about the music, but we think you get the best insight into the soundtrack for CK3: Royal Court when listening to some of the music itself!
So we are happy to share with you the “Holding Court” Cue Track for Western Europe as a preview!

So back to Metal King, I hope you enjoyed this week’s Dev Diary, understand it might not tell you so much about the features but at least we got to show you a little behind the scenes when we do work with Sound Design & Music.

• 102Like
  • 47Love
Reactions:
That soundtrack sounds great! It kinda makes me realize how lacking this game's soundtrack currently is. Also since we're talking about music now, that means there's nothing else to discuss? So release date soon???
now I think they will post several diaries on the same soundtrack for other cultural groups (if there are any) :) :) :)

Reactions:
It’s rather difficult to record “walla” in all languages, so instead, we did use a script made in Latin.
Although that is at least somewhat accurate because in the Middle Ages, Latin was the lingua franca. That means that international meeting, like those that would be happening in a royal court, probably would consist of lot of spoken Latin.

• 1Like
Reactions:
We could keep writing about the music, but we think you get the best insight into the soundtrack for CK3: Royal Court when listening to some of the music itself!
So we are happy to share with you the “Holding Court” Cue Track for Western Europe as a preview!

So back to Metal King, I hope you enjoyed this week’s Dev Diary, understand it might not tell you so much about the features but at least we got to show you a little behind the scenes when we do work with Sound Design & Music.
Will there be other regional musical cues for holding court, etc.?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Next patch, when?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree, love you Paradox but I am a little tired of being patient and think the glass i half full. You as a company have my good will, always, but I personally need that patch DD as my future with ck3 is also weighing on this. Sorry
No need to apologize to 'em. You're the customer.

Reactions:
The introduction of Court View made us really excited in the Audio Dept and also a new challenge! After working so long with games that mainly use paper maps, finally having a 3D space there was some extra room to play around with Sound Design and also getting a bit creative.

Of course, we wanted to add sound effects onto certain different objects like fireplaces and chandeliers and also including room ambiences for each type. But we also thought it would be a perfect opportunity to give more “life” to the court rooms by adding something we call “walla”. Or perhaps known more commonly as “crowd recording”.

Jh1rRrCZ-hSqpdU_h814v4OPV66lsH2we1Q0h1j5vQj8a8uI40n7LH7sP4fvoAlpD5JWAfuso6agXI2m8qx7yWYVEU73izZ4uC9ir8GIJe3gHoGTwp8hi-V13VIaKqM-Sy-Nnxwa=s0

So we did go a bit extra to make these new fancy rooms in CK3 sounding more alive and enhance the experience for you players. :)

How will all this sound in the end? It will change depending on your Court’s Grandeur level! The higher this value, the more of the crowd you will hear in the room, (and this will also work the other way around, so less Grandeur , fewer people.
Nice update. It certainly looks like most of the CK3 team were able to enjoy themselves as well as be productive. "Crowd ambience" tied to grandeur should be a nice touch but I hope it's not obnoxious like the satanic cult "ambience" from CK2. Props to the single person wearing a facemask in this photo.

...and this is what it looked like during the session with over 60 great musicians at work!
E0_3X9GBADuXFiusapSzv5JwZSorgb9ZEMmlVzPUcEYJIWGOfWHcBjsx0ZQz7myd7FqEPw05xPydtynq2-allpkLie4ZlFSzZl9JXZ-06QK_lSjUj9_EQ4K40y6AKj_wdnfCpd0J=s0
The instrumentation from this tune is really good! I can't wait to listen to a longer version in-game. This orchestra is primarily composed of strings (which do shine in this track) but I feel the brass fanfare and drums somehow take the spotlight. What is the instrument used at the start? Some kind of trumpet? Whatever it is, I can't see it in this picture but they deserve an honourable mention.

Once again, another good dev diary. But, you still haven't talked about improving the AI. I would really like this game to get more difficult and have the AI play true to their personalities.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Once again, another good dev diary. But, you still haven't talked about improving the AI. I would really like this game to get more difficult and have the AI play true to their personalities.
Play true to their personalities, now that I am down for. Whether that makes it more difficult is not guaranteed, and maybe that is ok with me. but hey, this Dev diary is about music and sound, so I don't want to derail it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Play true to their personalities, now that I am down for. Whether that makes it more difficult is not guaranteed, and maybe that is ok with me. but hey, this Dev diary is about music and sound, so I don't want to derail it.
Lets derail it a little... just to make our voices and thoughts heard.

AI, how they role play and especially how well they play is my biggest concern right now(difficulty not only from within but also other realms).
Currently I get to second, maximum third generation before I quit and see no challange... thats like 80 years approx.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You've certainly come a long way from the EU2/VIC1 days of using public domain music.
Also, will crowd background noise be moddable? If it is, I have a feeling that we'll eventually see quite a few versions localized to specific area/cultures.

Reactions:
I love how you're casually showing off your Neumanns in the photos :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Mastering on Audio Technica throwaway headphones, So-So monitors, and barely decent interfaces?

You guys are from the EU, the whole place should be filled with Sennhesier HD650's, RME audio interfaces, and Genelec 8361A active monitors >_>

Reactions: