• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #73 - Serving On Her Majesty's Court

Greetings!

In the update that will launch alongside the Royal Court expansion, we will introduce Court Positions - which can be seen as an evolution of CK2’s Minor Titles with a number of new improvements. While the old feature from CK2 had all sorts of various honorary titles, we wanted to focus on the most important positions at your court. Jobs that are relevant directly to you as a ruler, or that of your court.

Court Positions include a number of different positions, such as a Court Tutor, or Seneschal. Most positions imply that the appointed character has an actual job at your court and provides you with their services. That doesn’t mean we haven’t added any of the classical honorary positions though. Expect to also be able to appoint a Master of the Hunt, Master of the Horse, or (if you are playing as England) a Keeper of the Swans.

Each position will provide you with a set of bonuses, mostly in the form of various modifiers, but certain positions have more interesting benefits as well. For example, a Court Tutor increases the chances for children at your court to receive a better education trait.

Not all characters are equally fit to serve in any given position. Their skills and traits have a significant impact on how good they are at their job. This is reflected in their Aptitude. A position uses one or several skills, such as Learning for a Court Physician, which is the main factor for what Aptitude a character will have. Each position also has a number of traits that may increase (or even decrease!) their Aptitude further. Aptitude is measured on a scale in five steps, ranging from ‘terrible’ to ‘excellent’. The higher the Aptitude is, the greater the benefit. Let’s look at the Seneschal as an example. A character with the lowest Aptitude will only grant you a Control Growth bonus of +0.1, while a character with the highest possible Aptitude will give you +0.5.

01_aptitude.jpg

[Image showing the Aptitude for a court position]

Unlike CK2, hiring a character for a position is actually going to cost you, as each Court Position has an associated salary that you will be paying for out of your own pocket. While the salary for any given position won’t be very expensive, they will stack up. You’ll have to make a decision on how much gold you are willing to spend on all of your appointed positions, and if the characters you have available are skilled enough to warrant the salary.

As you may remember from Summer Teaser #3, we’ve gone through several old events to make sure that if you have someone appointed in a relevant position, they can appear to provide extra options or affect an outcome to be more favourable. Additionally, some positions may appear in events related to schemes. We’ve also added Cultural Traditions that increase the Aptitude of specific positions for characters of that culture, or even unlock a position you normally wouldn’t have access to! The goal is to make sure that Court Positions feel like an integral part of the game, and to have them feel as immersive as possible.

Before we wrap up, let’s take a look at a few examples of what some of the different Court Positions can do for you.

The Court Physician has been updated to be a fully fledged Court Position and make use of the new system. As you’d expect, the appointed character will take care of the sick people within your court. Court Physicians have a lower salary than most, so you should in practice always be able to afford one. If you have the Royal Court expansion, having a Court Physician also provides you with a small bonus to your grandeur. A skilled physician was often seen as very prestigious after all.

02_court_physician.jpg

[Image of the Court Physician Court Position]​

Next is the Bodyguard. You can hire up to two Bodyguards at the same time. Bodyguards don’t provide any passive modifiers like most other positions, but do have two fairly powerful bonuses. They have a chance to prevent assassination attempts on you, and they reduce the risks of participating in battles, as long as both of you partake in the same battle. So make sure that your Bodyguards have been appointed as your knights to make the most use of them. But beware! Bodyguards are very powerful agents should they join a scheme against you. Keep an eye on their opinion to avoid any backstabbing shenanigans!

03_bodyguard.jpg

[Image of the Bodyguard Court Position]

Another interesting position is the Food Taster. Any self-respecting (and perhaps paranoid) ruler should have one. A Food Taster not only gives you some protection against hostile schemes, they may even prevent a poison-related murder attempt against you! By, of course, eating your food and dying in your place… Just like a Bodyguard, a Food Taster is also a powerful agent should they join in on a scheme against you.

04_food_taster.jpg

[Image of the Food Taster Court Position]

Let’s take a look at the Court Gardener. This court position is unlocked by a cultural tradition - Garden Architects. Gardeners provide a passive opinion bonus for your courtiers and guests (who doesn’t appreciate a well tended garden?), and depending on their skill, a significant bonus to the Development Growth in your realm capital.

05_court_gardener.jpg

[Image of the Court Gardener Court Position]

And for reference, this is what the tradition looks like:

06_garden_architects.jpg

[Image of the Garden Architects tradition]

Finally, we couldn’t show off Court Positions without showing the Court Jester, complete with a jester’s outfit!

07_court_jester.jpg

[Image of the Court Jester Court Positions]

08_jester_clothing.png

[Image of the Court Jester's clothing]

That’s it for today!

• 159Like
  • 88Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Are Court Positions localisable to cultures?
E.g. Huscarl as the name of the bodyguard title in nordic cultures

And can players be appointed a court position by their de-jure liege? Will they actually get the money for the position in that case?

• 16Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Wow, Jesters and Tasters, have quite high salaries; and the Gardener, he's living quite the good life! Particularly when compared to the Physician. I bet physicians would have a thing or say about the appreciation of healthcare.

Any way, glad to see you're adding money sinks, the game really needs more of them to keep players' finances balanced.

• 7Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Will there be possible to have a Bodyguard for your heir? Like if you send your heir to a court have the bodyguard accompany him etc

• 19Like
Reactions:
Any chance we could get regent position too?
I would expect to leave the court with someone I can trust in my absence so they could oversee my lands when I am fighting in wars, on a pilgrimage or in case I die and my heir is underage

• 19Like
Reactions:
What about Ladies-in-waiting? Like, if the King won't be able to finance a lady-in-waiting for his female family members, at least the ruling queen would have a close female confidant.

• 20Like
Reactions:
Will there be possible to have a Bodyguard for your heir? Like if you send your heir to a court have the bodyguard accompany him etc
this was going to be my next question

at the moment we can offer and receive concubines but I would assume you would be able to offer some of these to other rulers
The only thing is it might be easy to cheese in case you have a knight with a strong hook and you offer him to your heir who you'd like to skip

• 4Like
Reactions:
Great additions.

Reactions:
Good stuff!
May I suggest (if this isn't the case already), that the salaries go up as you increase in rank? I'd expect the bodyguard or seneschal of an emperor to be paid much more than that of a count, for example, to go along with the increased scope of their duties.
I'm also in favour of there being trade-offs more broadly when you increase in rank.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Very hyped about this! It's gonna be a flavor bonanza!

So, modding-wise, are Court Positions a separate system to Council Positions, or does it use the same system, with a predefined multiplicity and ability to assign tasks? It seems like a lot of what the dev blog is describing could be done using council positions (If one was willing to put in some extra legwork!) but stuff like having multiple bodyguards would be a pain in my backside if you asked me to duplicate council positions, because you'd need to also duplicate any tasks like "Protect my heir instead of me", to take a hypothetical example.

I'm also curious how this ties to the DLC-lock for mods - I assume the actual court positions will be DLC-locked, but will the underlying system be restricted too? Or will it be a free feature ala the artifacts system, so long as we don't just make mods that unlock the actual DLC positions?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Greetings!

In the update that will launch alongside the Royal Court expansion, we will introduce Court Positions - which can be seen as an evolution of CK2’s Minor Titles with a number of new improvements. While the old feature from CK2 had all sorts of various honorary titles, we wanted to focus on the most important positions at your court. Jobs that are relevant directly to you as a ruler, or that of your court.

Court Positions include a number of different positions, such as a Court Tutor, or Seneschal. Most positions imply that the appointed character has an actual job at your court and provides you with their services. That doesn’t mean we haven’t added any of the classical honorary positions though. Expect to also be able to appoint a Master of the Hunt, Master of the Horse, or (if you are playing as England) a Keeper of the Swans.

Each position will provide you with a set of bonuses, mostly in the form of various modifiers, but certain positions have more interesting benefits as well. For example, a Court Tutor increases the chances for children at your court to receive a better education trait.

Not all characters are equally fit to serve in any given position. Their skills and traits have a significant impact on how good they are at their job. This is reflected in their Aptitude. A position uses one or several skills, such as Learning for a Court Physician, which is the main factor for what Aptitude a character will have. Each position also has a number of traits that may increase (or even decrease!) their Aptitude further. Aptitude is measured on a scale in five steps, ranging from ‘terrible’ to ‘excellent’. The higher the Aptitude is, the greater the benefit. Let’s look at the Seneschal as an example. A character with the lowest Aptitude will only grant you a Control Growth bonus of +0.1, while a character with the highest possible Aptitude will give you +0.5.

View attachment 756239
[Image showing the Aptitude for a court position]

Unlike CK2, hiring a character for a position is actually going to cost you, as each Court Position has an associated salary that you will be paying for out of your own pocket. While the salary for any given position won’t be very expensive, they will stack up. You’ll have to make a decision on how much gold you are willing to spend on all of your appointed positions, and if the characters you have available are skilled enough to warrant the salary.

As you may remember from Summer Teaser #3, we’ve gone through several old events to make sure that if you have someone appointed in a relevant position, they can appear to provide extra options or affect an outcome to be more favourable. Additionally, some positions may appear in events related to schemes. We’ve also added Cultural Traditions that increase the Aptitude of specific positions for characters of that culture, or even unlock a position you normally wouldn’t have access to! The goal is to make sure that Court Positions feel like an integral part of the game, and to have them feel as immersive as possible.

Before we wrap up, let’s take a look at a few examples of what some of the different Court Positions can do for you.

The Court Physician has been updated to be a fully fledged Court Position and make use of the new system. As you’d expect, the appointed character will take care of the sick people within your court. Court Physicians have a lower salary than most, so you should in practice always be able to afford one. If you have the Royal Court expansion, having a Court Physician also provides you with a small bonus to your grandeur. A skilled physician was often seen as very prestigious after all.

View attachment 756240
[Image of the Court Physician Court Position]​

Next is the Bodyguard. You can hire up to two Bodyguards at the same time. Bodyguards don’t provide any passive modifiers like most other positions, but do have two fairly powerful bonuses. They have a chance to prevent assassination attempts on you, and they reduce the risks of participating in battles, as long as both of you partake in the same battle. So make sure that your Bodyguards have been appointed as your knights to make the most use of them. But beware! Bodyguards are very powerful agents should they join a scheme against you. Keep an eye on their opinion to avoid any backstabbing shenanigans!

View attachment 756241
[Image of the Bodyguard Court Position]

Another interesting position is the Food Taster. Any self-respecting (and perhaps paranoid) ruler should have one. A Food Taster not only gives you some protection against hostile schemes, they may even prevent a poison-related murder attempt against you! By, of course, eating your food and dying in your place… Just like a Bodyguard, a Food Taster is also a powerful agent should they join in on a scheme against you.

View attachment 756242
[Image of the Food Taster Court Position]

Let’s take a look at the Court Gardener. This court position is unlocked by a cultural tradition - Garden Architects. Gardeners provide a passive opinion bonus for your courtiers and guests (who doesn’t appreciate a well tended garden?), and depending on their skill, a significant bonus to the Development Growth in your realm capital.

View attachment 756243
[Image of the Court Gardener Court Position]

And for reference, this is what the tradition looks like:

View attachment 756244
[Image of the Garden Architects tradition]

Finally, we couldn’t show off Court Positions without showing the Court Jester, complete with a jester’s outfit!

View attachment 756245
[Image of the Court Jester Court Positions]

View attachment 756246
[Image of the Court Jester's clothing]

That’s it for today!
So... You're telling me that I have to PAY my servants and not the other way around?! This is Heresy! I am ruling by Divine Right so they should be honoured to serve me for free!

Is it possible to adjust how much you are willing to pay them in return for an opinion/grandeur malus? I am not willing to pay the same salary to a mediocre jester as I would an excellent one.

But more importantly: Can I force my prisoners to serve as jesters? It would be grand to coerce a former king into humiliating himself for my courts amusement!

• 2Like
Reactions:
All sounds great. Would be cool to have a court role of personal chaplain (in addition to the realm priest), i.e. your own chaplain in charge of your personal spiritual health - this was pretty common. Even maybe an interaction with realm priest where to improve his opinion you can ask him to recommend such a person to you.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Another question re modding Court Positions: is it possible to make the positions inheritable in the same way it is for Council Positions? Kind of a similar q to the poster above

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is cool I love minor titles :)

Some Questions

1.) are all the CK2 honorary titles in here? Specifically I am thinking of the various unique religious/regional titles such as how Muslims have a chief Qadi, Norse can have a Volva, Indian Religions can have a court Guru and so on.
2.) Is their a new section of the Council screen for all the various honorary titles that exist?
3.) Do some honorary titles have different names based on the culture of their liege? For example would a Norse seneschal be called a Drottseti?
4.) Can you make honorary titles be inheritable/locked to a particular family.

• 4Like
Reactions:
# of bodyguards is moddable, right? :rolleyes:
Yes!

Given the increased number of powerful agents in possible hostile schemes, does that mean agent join chance is being rebalanced? Currently, it’s a little too easy to murder kings and emperors because everyone in their realm joins
We haven't made any major changes to agents and their willingness to join, but it's something we'll have to keep an eye on.

Are court positions moddable?
Of course! They should be very moddable, and you can add new positions or change the effects of existing positions very easily. The overall moddability should be fairly high.

Can you appoint vassals ou just courtiers to these positions ?

Would appointing a vassal (or someone from a vassal's family) as court jester decrease their opinion of you ?
Depends on the position. Some positions only allow landless characters to be appointed, while other may allow only landed characters, or both.

Yes, appointing a vassal as your jester is a sure way to make them feel insulted. ;)

Will there be a court poet?

Will tribes/dukes have access to these positions even if they don't have a court.?
We do have a court poet, yes!

Court positions are available to everyone, regardless of government type or tier, but the actual positions you have access to may vary. As mentioned in the DD, some positions are unlocked by cultural traditions, others by being a king or emperor, etc.

Wow, Jesters and Tasters, have quite high salaries; and the Gardener, he's living quite the good life! Particularly when compared to the Physician. I bet physicians would have a thing or say about the appreciation of healthcare.
Physicians ought to be paid fairly well in a realistic context, but gameplay trumphs realism here. We want all rulers to have a viable chance at being able to afford a physician, despite having a low income.

Any chance we could get regent position too?
I would expect to leave the court with someone I can trust in my absence so they could oversee my lands when I am fighting in wars, on a pilgrimage or in case I die and my heir is underage
Not at this time. Regents is still something we want to look into in the future though.

• 14Like
  • 2Love
Reactions: