• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CK3 Dev Diary #66 - A Fresh Coat of Paint
Greetings!

The sun is out, and we’ve all been enjoying pristine Azure skies during the Swedish midsummer celebrations. Or, well, a few of us have! Some members of the team got to enjoy a massive downpour of rain (which is customary, to be fair), and others even got to experience a refreshing storm of hail. Speaking of Azure, we’re releasing another small patch today which addresses a handful of issues (most notably some stability concerns):
  • Fixed unpause issues in multiplayer if choosing to continue in single player after network out of sync on 1.4.2
  • Fixed crash on save and progressive dynasty and title coat of arms disappearing
  • Fixed UI lists refresh, allowing to access characters for some interactions when they should not be available (i.e.: you could grant vassal to your liege characters from other realms)
  • Fixed crash happening after starting a fort assault during a crusade on a long playthrough save on 1.4.2

Beginning next week a majority of the team will be going on summer vacation, which means that it’ll be mostly deserted for the next five weeks. In practice this means that the next few Dev Diaries won’t be as meaty as the ones that came before. You can think of them more as teasers than proper Dev Diaries. When we’re back we’ll of course resume having more substantial ones!

With that being said, we don’t want to leave you empty handed. Summer vacation doesn’t start until next week after all. Some of you might have noticed in the previous Dev Diary that we had a small square at the top of the window when creating a hybrid or a divergent culture, showing a colour. This is of course a preview of the colour your new culture will have when it’s created. Clicking it allows you to change and set the colour of your culture exactly as you want it!

01_culture_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour during culture creation]

But we didn’t stop there! We added this new and wonderful tool in a couple of other places as well. As when creating a culture, we've added it for creating a new faith too.

02_faith_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour when creating a faith]

You'll also be able to change the colour when customizing a title. No longer will you have to settle on the colour the game picks for you when creating a custom kingdom or empire! Especially when that colour turns out to be neon pink... You can edit the colour for any title you hold or is held by your vassals, similar to how you are allowed to edit the name & adjective for titles in your realm. Yes, this means that you can make your vassal lands sport a cavalcade of colour if you so desire!

03_title_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour when customizing a title]

That's it for today, I'm afraid. While this might be a fairly small addition in the grand scheme of things, we do think it’s a nice and flavourful tool that lets you customize your experience more than before!

Not what we wanted, but what we needed. A really good QoL feature!

I have a small question, that light have been answered a long time ago, tell me if it had been. When diverging or hybridizing cultures, would the AI choose a colour similar to the mother culture(s)'s, maybe even a mix or median of the two if a hybrid?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Fantastic news! +1 for the ideas presented in the replies. Reset color, hex code input, and premade colors (also, colorblindness options for colors in general would be a plus for those that need it) are things that would make this even better! Enjoy the holidays and the break, CK3 crew!

• 1Like
Reactions:
It would be nice if you also added a button to reset the color to the original value, if you want to undo any changes made.
Good suggestion! I was thinking something similar just earlier today, actually. I shall investigate and see if this is something that could be easily added or not. I imagine it could be done at least for titles, if nothing else.

Awesome!
But could you please add fields to enter the exact RGB values?
Again, that's a good suggestion! Not sure of any technical limitations, but perhaps something for us to look at, even if I can't promise anything.

Does this mean Coat of Arms customization is coming too ?
Alas, it does not. A proper Coat of Arms designer is still very high up on my wishlist of things I want us to get around to, so it's certainly something we'll add at some point. The only question is when.

Can we also set title/faith/culture colours via script?
E.g. a certain culture takes over a certain title, making the title CoA change and the title colour.
I'm actually not sure. Though I suspect the answer is that you cannot.

@Servancour

While we're talking about fiddling around with colours - perhaps letting us choose the colours of our character's clothes might be something you could add in the future. :)
This one is likely more difficult on the technical side of things, I'm afraid. Not something we've planned.

• 22Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This is a really nice feature that has been desired for a while. Since the Charlemagne expansion and custom kingdoms and empires, really. I was disappointed when I saw a news article mention the ability to change map colors but saw it only referenced cultures. Nice to know that it will be the case for faiths and titles as well.

Will this be a free feature, or is it a part of Royal Court?

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is great. No longer will people have to deal with the default vomit orange color for their faiths. I do have a question/suggestion. In the game a barony is only limited to one special building slot, with places that have 2 the second acts as a duchy capital slot. Would it be plausible that multiple special building slots be used to replace the current system with the duchy capital slots in places like Kiev, Constantinople and Rome? I mainly ask this for modding reasons.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yellow Prussia rises again!

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Choosing a color for your custom title is a great feature. The "your old title color but brighter" system always kept me from making custom titles in CK2 and CK3.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seeing how this DLC is going to add a great deal of customisation features are there any plans for CoA editor? I think it would go great with hybrid cultures since hybrid CoAs might need a little bit of correction from the player. I probably should have posted this in the last DD but I didn't think of it until now.

Reactions:
Does this mean Coat of Arms customization is coming too ?

Yes, please! That has to be the single most wanted bit of customization by now.

I've yet to understand the delay.

Reactions:
h1.PNG

• 24Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Something as small as only being able to choose colors turns me so on. I wish this could be implemented for the clothing too but I heard that can't happen because of how the engine works?

Reactions:
As a colourblind person, the Sim 3 was always a bother because it forced you to be creative when you really just wanted to choose from base colour options or premade options.
But Sims 3 did have a (pretty big but categorized) set of base options, you weren't forced to use the wheel below.

Reactions: