• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CK3 Dev Diary #66 - A Fresh Coat of Paint
Greetings!

The sun is out, and we’ve all been enjoying pristine Azure skies during the Swedish midsummer celebrations. Or, well, a few of us have! Some members of the team got to enjoy a massive downpour of rain (which is customary, to be fair), and others even got to experience a refreshing storm of hail. Speaking of Azure, we’re releasing another small patch today which addresses a handful of issues (most notably some stability concerns):
  • Fixed unpause issues in multiplayer if choosing to continue in single player after network out of sync on 1.4.2
  • Fixed crash on save and progressive dynasty and title coat of arms disappearing
  • Fixed UI lists refresh, allowing to access characters for some interactions when they should not be available (i.e.: you could grant vassal to your liege characters from other realms)
  • Fixed crash happening after starting a fort assault during a crusade on a long playthrough save on 1.4.2

Beginning next week a majority of the team will be going on summer vacation, which means that it’ll be mostly deserted for the next five weeks. In practice this means that the next few Dev Diaries won’t be as meaty as the ones that came before. You can think of them more as teasers than proper Dev Diaries. When we’re back we’ll of course resume having more substantial ones!

With that being said, we don’t want to leave you empty handed. Summer vacation doesn’t start until next week after all. Some of you might have noticed in the previous Dev Diary that we had a small square at the top of the window when creating a hybrid or a divergent culture, showing a colour. This is of course a preview of the colour your new culture will have when it’s created. Clicking it allows you to change and set the colour of your culture exactly as you want it!

01_culture_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour during culture creation]

But we didn’t stop there! We added this new and wonderful tool in a couple of other places as well. As when creating a culture, we've added it for creating a new faith too.

02_faith_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour when creating a faith]

You'll also be able to change the colour when customizing a title. No longer will you have to settle on the colour the game picks for you when creating a custom kingdom or empire! Especially when that colour turns out to be neon pink... You can edit the colour for any title you hold or is held by your vassals, similar to how you are allowed to edit the name & adjective for titles in your realm. Yes, this means that you can make your vassal lands sport a cavalcade of colour if you so desire!

03_title_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour when customizing a title]

That's it for today, I'm afraid. While this might be a fairly small addition in the grand scheme of things, we do think it’s a nice and flavourful tool that lets you customize your experience more than before!

Great dev diary! Will you also be able to change the color of custom realms AI owns? Like if you gave that title away to a relative to make them an independent king could I then continue to be able to change his color?

This one is likely more difficult on the technical side of things, I'm afraid. Not something we've planned.
Please. :rolleyes:
I know, you need a programmer that is familiar with all the shader stuff for customizable clothing colors, but I'm sure that he/she can find some time for that at some point, right?

Reactions:
Any chance CoAs customization will come with the Royal Court since were getting all these options to change the color of our culture and religion colors now? Really want to change my CoA instead of hoping I get the one I want in the color I want.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I too would like color options for clothing. Perhaps a few color palette options could be available for any given outfit, maybe two or three. It would give some more visual variety to the game.

Reactions:
Beginning next week a majority of the team will be going on summer vacation, which means that it’ll be mostly deserted for the next five weeks

Enjoy your holiday but man I need to move to Europe. I get 11 single holidays a year. Yes, I am jealous.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
I’m disappointed to learn that no proper CoA customizer is coming with the Royal Court patch. I’m afraid we’re going to pass the game’s one year anniversary without this feature. It’s really high on my wishes for the game.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Thank god. Now only if it would at least DISPLAY god names and priest names and things like that for religions. I would like more customization there but at least seeing what it is instead of having to use mods or go into the files would be a huge improvement

• 2Like
Reactions:
CK3 Dev Diary #66 - A Fresh Coat of Paint
Greetings!

The sun is out, and we’ve all been enjoying pristine Azure skies during the Swedish midsummer celebrations. Or, well, a few of us have! Some members of the team got to enjoy a massive downpour of rain (which is customary, to be fair), and others even got to experience a refreshing storm of hail. Speaking of Azure, we’re releasing another small patch today which addresses a handful of issues (most notably some stability concerns):
  • Fixed unpause issues in multiplayer if choosing to continue in single player after network out of sync on 1.4.2
  • Fixed crash on save and progressive dynasty and title coat of arms disappearing
  • Fixed UI lists refresh, allowing to access characters for some interactions when they should not be available (i.e.: you could grant vassal to your liege characters from other realms)
  • Fixed crash happening after starting a fort assault during a crusade on a long playthrough save on 1.4.2

Beginning next week a majority of the team will be going on summer vacation, which means that it’ll be mostly deserted for the next five weeks. In practice this means that the next few Dev Diaries won’t be as meaty as the ones that came before. You can think of them more as teasers than proper Dev Diaries. When we’re back we’ll of course resume having more substantial ones!

With that being said, we don’t want to leave you empty handed. Summer vacation doesn’t start until next week after all. Some of you might have noticed in the previous Dev Diary that we had a small square at the top of the window when creating a hybrid or a divergent culture, showing a colour. This is of course a preview of the colour your new culture will have when it’s created. Clicking it allows you to change and set the colour of your culture exactly as you want it!

View attachment 735516
[Image of selecting a colour during culture creation]

But we didn’t stop there! We added this new and wonderful tool in a couple of other places as well. As when creating a culture, we've added it for creating a new faith too.

View attachment 735517
[Image of selecting a colour when creating a faith]

You'll also be able to change the colour when customizing a title. No longer will you have to settle on the colour the game picks for you when creating a custom kingdom or empire! Especially when that colour turns out to be neon pink... You can edit the colour for any title you hold or is held by your vassals, similar to how you are allowed to edit the name & adjective for titles in your realm. Yes, this means that you can make your vassal lands sport a cavalcade of colour if you so desire!

View attachment 735518
[Image of selecting a colour when customizing a title]

That's it for today, I'm afraid. While this might be a fairly small addition in the grand scheme of things, we do think it’s a nice and flavourful tool that lets you customize your experience more than before!
Could this one day be expanded to a full 'unit painter' for MaA units too?

I don't know how combat unit models work Vs full character models/clothing, but it could be fun to customise the armor on men at arms, and chose which bits of armor/trim apply which of the house or primary title colours - at a 'Realm' level or at a 'Cultural' level. (Even if it would lead to a surge in nude or neon pink troops on Reddit for karma, it would be cool, imo).

Beginning next week a majority of the team will be going on summer vacation, which means that it’ll be mostly deserted for the next five weeks

Enjoy your holiday but man I need to move to Europe. I get 11 single holidays a year. Yes, I am jealous.
lmao come to Brazil, we have many vacations.. but we work for "free"

Can you please add RGB value text fields so that we can type in exact colours as needed? This would be lovely. :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Nice, I guess, but where's our "Choose your coat of arms for your dynasty rather than randomly clicking through dozens of them hoping to get the right one, and hope you don't click too quickly or you will miss it" feature?

Last edited:
  • 3Haha
Reactions: