CK3 Dev Diary #63 - 1.4.0 “Azure” Patch Notes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
  • 6Like
Reactions:
> The assign_council_task effect now properly errors when the old councillor cannot be fired, rather than just silently doing nothing

Do you mean
assign_councillor_type
?

Because I don't understand what this means otherwise.
You can use assign_council_task with someone who doesn't currently hold the position. That replaces the old councillor.
If they're impossible to fire, before it'd just silently fail. Now it logs an error.

I believe assign_councillor_type on the other hand already logged an error. Not 100% sure.

Reactions:
Thanks team, and congrats on your first DD, @pdx_snob ! :)

Quick but obvious question - sorry if I've missed the answer anywhere - but will this be save game compatible with games started prior to the patch? I would assume not, given the number of changes, but would be interesting to know what you would expect the game's behaviour to be.
We always try to make saves from the pervious version work reasonably well on the new update. However with a game as complex as Crusader Kings, we can never test all the edge cases. If you want to be sure your save doesn't break, make a backup. On Steam you can also roll back to the previous version to complete your campaign.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Is that not supposed to be opposite? If someone is gluttonous, he eats a lot. And If he eats a lot there is higher chance that he will swallow poisoned food like a pelican.
No, Gluttonous will have a chance to detect the poison and save themselves.

Am I understand that properly: so greedy characters will have higher montly income if their stress level is higher? Higher stress level - higher monthly income?
Correct. Their initial bonus is lower now (+5% instead of +15%) but they gain +10% per stress level.

This apply only on the very beggining of the game or occurs also with inheritance?
It's only applied at the beginning of the game.

Apart from Realm laws? And if not, it was something wrong now that this is a fix?
Realm laws should forbid them to do that indeed. If you notice a case where it's not the case, please report the bug!

Why? I think that was quite reasonable and tactic-friendly approach. I had to consider strait penalty and alternatively think about different route on the map. As well as the AI. Also if AI army was trying to attack me I could lure them to cross strait and get penalty by them. So why nerfing that?
We did these changes to make sure that the AI will support a human players even if it means suffering from some penalties.

I hope it will not prevent vassal wars? For example duke vs duke over a county?
It should not!

So for example after conquering one Tribal county, feudal or clan ruler will stop their expansionc over Tribal realm? That's right?
Correct! They will first convert the holding before continuing their expansion over other Tribal realms

Cheers,

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hmmm... from my perspective Gluttonous characters just can't resist to eat any food that they have in their field of view... so described behaviour fits better for me to Paranoid or Craven characters. But I can make a suggestion post for that ;)
I don't want to spoil the narrative event that will be triggered so I won't expand more, but yes please create a suggestion! I'm always happy to explore ideas from our community!

I hope so ;) but there is any measure of this 'more focus' of the AI characters on higher titles CBs?
From what I know, we linked that to the boldness of the AI character so it won't be systematic.

Hmm but this will not make Tribal realms nearly untouchable? For example if I would rule Tribal realm next to HRE, HRE will only bite off one county of my realm and than stops waging war against my for as long as they convert? (so amass 500 gold? I'm correct?)
They can still target more than one County at a time: it depends on the Casus Belli. But if they use a Holy War on a Tribal Duchy, they won't start a new war against a Tribal until the converted the existing holdings indeed.

Cheers,

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is culture update fre feature in Azure or is it a paid feature in "Royal Court"?
It is my understanding that parts of the Culture update will be free in Royal Court, but the full hybridization and divergence system will be a paid feature of Royal Court. The new culture system will be the focus of a future DD, so I'm not going to say more than this :)

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Hello,

In the IA section there is an abreviation i don't know/understand : "CB" .

English is not my native language.

It's not the first time i struggle with abreviation here, it shouldn't be the case in a dev post in my opinion.

thanks
Sorry it's a developer bias... We tend to use acronyms thinking everyone will understand them...

CB stands for Casus Belli - the reason you use to start a war.

Cheers,

• 9Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Although, I wonder how paying off scandinavian adventurers works? I tried everything, looked in decisions... but after a varangian war of 10 years, I got no event whatsoever that alows me to pay them off. Any more information on how to do this?
Scandinavian Adventurers are only for the AI. They are quite similar to Varangian Adventurers, except that you can pay them off.

Cheers,

Reactions:
So still no fix for the game breaking bug where grandkids wont get married, come on why is this not fixed yet ???

From the changelog:
  • Your children and grandchildren can now get married off by their liege if their liege is their parent or grandparent and is allowed to marry on their own
Are issues with counties having permanently dead holders fixed? What about counties having no holders at all?
The cases of that that we're aware of have been fixed. If you run into any, please make a bug report.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I notice that only sanded same-sex concubines have been added, and not same-sex marriage. It was mentioned in the earliest Dev Diary on Azure that same-sex marriage would be added in 1.4, but then you guys made the next patch into 1.4. Did you push back same-sex marriage to the next patch when you did so? If so, will you add in same-sex marriage with the Royal Court update, or will you add it earlier?
We only added the same-sex concubines in Azure. The same-sex marriage will be released along the Royal Court.

We mentioned releasing same-sex marriage in the 1.4 because initially Azure was supposed to be a 1.3.x update. Sorry for the confusion!

We couldn't release the same-sex marriage in 1.4 Azure because we need more time to verify that there is no side effects on existing content and game system.

Cheers,

• 4Like
Reactions:
I thought I'd got away with it, but check Garrisons, mine are set to zero in all cases and won't reinforce. It's a more subtle problem to spot but it has a huge gameplay impact.
We are investing the issue!

Thank you for fixing "end of an era." Is there a way to unlock this with save files which have reached 1453? The fact that it says it now unlocks a month earlier suggests not.
It could work - but I'm not 100% sure and so no promises ^^

Cheers,

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do any of the changes to war target selection induce the Byzantines and Seljuks to fight each other, or should we still expect them to just sit there as peaceful neighbors?
The AI changes should encourage Seljuks and Byzantine to fight each others more often!

• 14Love
  • 8Like
Reactions:
I think the 10 years refers to the literal first 10 years of your game - 867 to 877 and 1066 to 1076 - not the first 10 years of each new ruler.

Seems to be more about letting the game stabilise at the start / ensuring players aren't faced with immediate rebellions (and potential game overs) within the first few minutes of starting a new campaign.
It does indeed refers to the first X years after the start of the game. The intention is indeed to give some time to rulers to be able to stabilize their realms before the faction strikes. Players can still create factions, and AI will join them. Moreover, Peasant Factions are not affected by the delay.

As we mentioned in the dev diary, we are really eager to hear your feedback on how it feels to play with the changes we did on the faction system. I hope to read discussions on dedicated threads in the coming days. Depending on that, we will see which course of actions we should take to keep improving the system!

"Gluttonous: they have a high chance to avoid being murdered if the Poison food method is chosen."

What do they mean "chosen?" How is the method selected?
When a scheme reaches its conclusion, the game will select a method defining how the target should be murdered. It can be by food poisoning, hiring an assassin, using an angry mob.... If the chosen method is food poisoning, Gluttonous character will have a chance to escape death.

So, from what I've seen so far.
  1. Garrisons all seem to be set to zero permanently right now
  2. When I declare war on a person, my vassal's wars with that person's allys seem to be ended for some reason (I don't think that was always the case before?)
  3. I can't swap my Grand Allamah anymore.
  4. Sieges carry on when a battle is happening in a county! (Possibly because garrisons are set to zero?)
Don't know if others have seen these bugs?

I think I'll be swapping back to Covus until those issues are patched because it makes the game (especially war) pretty unplayable.

On a positive note, I love the new UI for war declaration, it's so much nicer than before, and seeing how much money they have is a massive help.

If you have a save file which could help us to reproduce the bugs, it would be amazing if you could create a bug report and attach it! We are already investigating the garrison issue for 1.3.1 saves but I'm not aware of the other issues.

As mentioned by other members of the community, starting a new game should be bug-free (at least you should encounter none of these :D)

Cheers,

Reactions:
Hello there,

Thank you all for your feedback to the Azure patch. The team is currently working on an update that will be deployed as soon as we can, in order to fix the most annoying issues that you have reported. More will follow; I can say that the team has been efficient these past days!

We want to wait until Monday before deciding on a concrete release plan in order to make sure that we are not missing any critical errors.

Here is a list of some of the issues that we are aiming to fix:
  • Garrison strength is set to 0 in previous versions' saves, making sieges battles almost instant
  • Grace period after going over domain limit removed, causing instantaneous penalties
  • The Jester hat is used by too many male characters after 1300, we will change the fashion trend
  • Peasant Rabble sends ultimatum despite positive popular opinion
  • Send Gift can reach exponential values with the right setup
  • Ambitious getting stressed by accepting a white peace even if they are defending
  • Defenders of Rod decision has an impossible requirement at the moment
We appreciate your patience & understanding.

We will keep you updated about the timeline next week, likely by hijacking the Dev Diary.

Cheers,

• 17Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Welcome @pdx_snob, and hello @Pdx_Meedoc! :)

Thank you for the patch! :) I noticed with great sadness that there was nothing to do with message settings in this patch - do you know if there are any plans to introduce them in the future? :)
The underlying system will not allow us to recreate the message settings as they existed in CK2 but this is something we hope to explore sometime in the future.

Just checked and all of the Slovianska Pravda holy sites already special building slots so can get some clarifications about how this decision is supposed to work right because it seems like its impossible to do now. @pdx_snob @Pdx_Meedoc
Yep, I did a stupid mistake but it will be fixed in the next update!

I wonder how that goes together with the Stewardship/Avaricious perk "Golden Aplomb" - can both effects stack?
Yes both effects stack!

Just to clarify, the grace period thing is about the grace period being reinstated, right? :)
Yep it will be reinstated; the 1 year period of grace was unfortunately removed by another bug fix ^^'

This is a big one and frankly I'm surprised it didn't rate a mention in the devs rollup of potential hotfixes.
We are also working on it :) Custom Rulers should have their Men-at-Arms in the next update! I just didn't list all of the issues we are working on ^^

Cheers,

• 8Love
  • 5Like
Reactions:
You have a way of getting a person's hopes up @Pdx_Meedoc
I value transparency even more ^^ even when it means sharing less pleasant news. I hope that my honesty will pay and keep you hopeful for the future. We are listening and we are dedicated to make this game better. The team is working hard to make sure that you (the whole community) can have a lot of fun!

Thank you for the reply, @Pdx_Meedoc! :) When you say "explore sometime in the future," do you mean adapting the underlying system to implement message settings, or am I misunderstanding you?
I cannot promise anything. I have no idea of how we will approach that concretely, nor when. What I can tell you is that we read your messages, we take notes and analyze the needs of the community. I don't know which solution we will deploy nor when, but we will do our best to have a solution corresponding to your needs.

Today I had a faction where 5 of the 7 members had +100 opinion of me :(
I think Loc files or something still have bugs
Both bugs will be fixed in the next update!

Cheers,

• 8Like
Reactions: