• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone!

I know you are all eager to learn more about the Royal Court, but as we announced last week, we will go into more details once the Azure patch is released. If everything goes according to plan, and there are no unexpected events, we aim to release Azure next week! But let’s focus on today's small dev diary for now!

During the development of Crusader Kings III, we organized a community challenge where you could unlock unique cosmetics for the game, which we dubbed the Monarch’s Journey. With the 1.4.0 Azure patch, we’ve decided to make these cosmetics available for everyone!

It includes:
  • Headgear:
    • Hennin
    • Chaperon
    • Jester's Hat
  • Haircuts:
    • Miller
    • Miller Highlights
    • Jeanne d'Arc
    • Pageboy
    • Mullet
  • And the Wizard's Beard!
In order to celebrate this, we’ve also hooked some of these assets in to be used by random characters. For instance, Scots will be able to randomly use the Mullet haircut, while Frankish women will be able to use the Jeanne d’Arc haircut.

1.jpg

[A classy French woman with a Jeanne d’Arc haircut]

t3BtwD4oQ0zJCvxyK2KHOtw4Dwk6pVvjpU530WSuEyNk55-SjWcjExtyhDE1nt7DgGkQ_N5-BvyVdlE2ljIkattcQVF-PDauZERoMP3xTBm_7Asce0lE12AzY3Z8brOGu5zGWn1i

[A charming Scot with a Mullet]

And because fashion changed over time, the Chaperon and Hennin will be available in the western world only after 1300.

3.jpg

[A wonderful Chaperon]

pAP7DzFVQd9YEXx7KWPVSBaFNlMuzCp0hhBeOMD2bq-gk4o8uR-lBo5nd21TPuKmMmEWOqH6XJcP5QdPVr_wHYms_0UAoO2MJg1kyiJZtilktTwc4mMF-aWulNBspWIBxVnmVPIi

[A magnificent Hennin]

In addition to that, we fixed several visual bugs highlighted by you:
  • Spouses of rulers will now once again wear clothes based on their spouse's culture
  • Arabic High Nobility will now use the Scholar's Turban and Caliphs will use the Caliphal Robes
  • The 'Spindly' Trait will not make people's limbs too thin anymore

On the AI side, we reworked how vassals handle holy war and added constraints on Feudal and Clans rulers to limit their aggression of Tribal rulers. These modifications still allow the Byzantine empire to expand but in a more elegant way. Let’s have a look at a few results from Observe mode!

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

And this is it for today! As mentioned at the beginning of this dev diary, we should be back next week with the changelog for the patch if everything goes well!

Until then, I wish you the best and, hopefully, have fun!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    379,6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It happens more frequently when playing mongol empire.

Two visual examples were posted previously in another thread.

[Apologies for retrospective correction - Out of those two examples, the first one has to be and will be edit-corrected later by the author for clarification. After further observations, it has been realised that the first example in that reference apparently is a case of low rank vassal invading a kingdom and ranking up, which is the reason that its title history says swore fealty - that is not the actual swearing fealty of the small realms].

The second example in that post, duchy of voronezh, does swear fealty as soon as it shares a border with the player, without asking the player, without notifying the player. The player notices its existence only when it starts an independence faction.

That example is not rare, but extremely common on the contrary.
Presumably you've posted this as a bug, with saves since you can reliably reproduce it?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Moreover, if the neighbouring code-realm swears fealty to the player's realm while it is at a war-at multiple wars with others, it will become a vassal to the player AND the player inherits all the wars of the vassal.
Isn't swearing fealty blocked when you're at war? If not, then it should be anyway, and so the problem solved. Or the player can just... not accept that fealty?

Reactions:
Can we please get some kind of answer or response about the CoA designer? I noticed how the question was asked and ignored, but the Dev felt it necessary to comment on the debug tools on the picture.
I'm pretty sure that the devs would have mentioned adding a CoA designer if the Azure patch had it, but they didn't so they'll probably add it in a patch accompanying the Royal Court (I think. They didn't mention it there too.)

Reactions:
Amazing. I worked collecting points, completing sophisticated tasks in order to receive the promised rewards, and in the end they are distributed to everyone just like that. That is, I bought crusader kings 2 on the release itself, bought all the add-ons for the game at full price when they just came out without discounts. Completed tasks to get awards in ck3, which I also bought and is this attitude towards me? Why? Why are they pouring mud and dislikes on me for buying games at full price, earning unique hats so that everything is just given away. Let's give everything away for free. I bought ck3 but i suggest setting the price of ck3 to zero.
This reminds me when HOI4 removed the colonel edition (Had a unique historical battleships pack and some unique tank models) and put the content from it into the base game and allied/axis armor packs.

I didn't care. They compensated people who had the colonel edition by giving them a free copy of the allied armor pack.

EDIT: Maybe in this case, it might be fair if people who did the Monarch's Journey stuff get a free cosmetic DLC the next time one is released as compensation? That's what HOI4 did and I think that might be a good solution to appease people who felt they were "Robbed". Although in this case AFAIK nobody paid for Monarch's Journey, it was just challenges in CK2.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
i got access to the ck3 nine months after, i work for it, you work for free, i believe in it.

are you talking about free game giveaways, contests, free lotteries? Let's give everyone all the games, apartments, houses. Are you a communist? Then start giving me games and apartments, please, and do not deprive me of the right to live like you. I live in a Russian dump with a dictator, and you live in luxury
This reminds me of a very funny quote from a classic Swedish Christmas animation:

"Tyko Jonsson belonged to those who think that all who voluntarily give something away are communists." :)

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Check @Belonogy 's activity - he has gone into all my comments on posts and marked them as "respectfully disagree". Not only here but on other threads, several months old.

Not only mine but also other people's who disagreed with his benevolent views on why he thinks giving everyone a hanfdul of cosmetics that he unlocked almost a year ago is a terrible idea.
He just did the same to me too, and I didn't even make a post in this discussion - I just disagreed with a single one of his posts. I hope he's got a doctor monitoring his blood pressure :D

• 7Haha
Reactions:
[..] I live in a Russian dump with a dictator, and you live in luxury[..]

Besides the silly things you say about a bunch of free game assets, watch out what you post, really. If things are as bad as it stands for privacy in the western world, I can only imagine how they are on your side...

Reactions:
People didn't like monarchs journey? I thought it was cool. It was a nice change of pace to play as rulers I'd never usually choose with an objective. I wanted it to be kept in CK3 permanently.

Reactions:
People didn't like monarchs journey? I thought it was cool. It was a nice change of pace to play as rulers I'd never usually choose with an objective. I wanted it to be kept in CK3 permanently.
People didn't like it when they removed the challenges completely when CK3 was released. I raged for a second and then looked at the game I'm sure was dumbed down version of CK2 with expectations to be disgusted but then I went "hey that's the county of Namur... I've always wanted that, wait, look at Saxony oh so many provinces... let me look at the entire map... marvellous! I shall have to try this." Read up on it more, found the cheapest royal edition and haven't looked back since.

Reactions:
Yep, that would be the best version, just letting us decide the colours of the clothes through a colour-wheel. Shouldn't that be doable?
That would be awesome! Imagine if you can choose the color and material of your cloth, sorta like the CAS in The Sims 3. Adding an option to just have your emblem on the clothes would be a perfect addition.
1622776114793.png

Something like this.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I have an insane amount of hours played in CK2 over 2k hours on steam and I played a lot before I transferred the game to steam. By the time the achievements came out I really didnt have the energy or the will power to play ck2 anymore jsut to get the outfits. I am glad they are comin gout.

Reactions:
Why are those who did not participate in the challenge given our unique awards? So I was wasting my time getting the maximum points? Leave or make at least one hat for those who participated in good faith pls
Amazing. I worked collecting points, completing sophisticated tasks in order to receive the promised rewards, and in the end they are distributed to everyone just like that. That is, I bought crusader kings 2 on the release itself, bought all the add-ons for the game at full price when they just came out without discounts. Completed tasks to get awards in ck3, which I also bought and is this attitude towards me? Why? Why are they pouring mud and dislikes on me for buying games at full price, earning unique hats so that everything is just given away. Let's give everything away for free. I bought ck3 but i suggest setting the price of ck3 to zero.

That was the plan from the beginning:

Hello there,

Sorry it took me some days to reply here as I was gathing as much details as possible beforehand.
I can confirm that these cosmetic rewards (earned from playing Monarch's Journey's challenges) will be available for free at a later date after launch.
Though, we want to keep the surprise and we won't unveil them before the release, we can't wait for you to discover them in-game! :D
(Source)

• 1Like
Reactions:
You should have did them because it was fun. If you ever find yourself playing games for not-fun reasons, than stop immediately because you are using games wrong.
Never played a grindable RPG, huh? ;)

Reactions:
I bought ck3 but i suggest setting the price of ck3 to zero.
Well, in case you haven't noticed that's what eventually happened to CK2 - many people bought it but now the base game is free. (And to Star Wars: The Old Republic many years ago... still bitter about that one, but note that, unlike with Monarch's Journey, no warning was given for that one.) This seems to be a thing now: when things are old they are given with a discount, sometimes a 100% discount.

As for being in a Russian dump - hailing from Russia myself, I can only offer my condolences and understanding.
If things are as bad as it stands for privacy in the western world, I can only imagine how they are on your side...
Not that bad due to general incompetence of our services.
Imagine if you can choose the color and material of your cloth, sorta like the CAS in The Sims 3.
Actually, given how dyes were a rare and expensive thing - and, most importantly, quite limited in available colors - this might be an overkill.
Never played a grindable RPG, huh? ;)
There are people who genuinely like grinding ;)

Reactions:
Well, in case you haven't noticed that's what eventually happened to CK2 - many people bought it but now the base game is free. (And to Star Wars: The Old Republic many years ago... still bitter about that one, but note that, unlike with Monarch's Journey, no warning was given for that one.) This seems to be a thing now: when things are old they are given with a discount, sometimes a 100% discount.

As for being in a Russian dump - hailing from Russia myself, I can only offer my condolences and understanding.

Not that bad due to general incompetence of our services.

Actually, given how dyes were a rare and expensive thing - and, most importantly, quite limited in available colors - this might be an overkill.

There are people who genuinely like grinding ;)
Grinding can often be a very relaxing experience...

Well that would very much depend on the dye and on the region. Colours like Red and Yellow, for example, were generally available to, at least, the nobility in medieval times. Viking farmers were able to dye their clothes red, yellow and dark blue (in fact, in that case, the lower classes wore clothes with deeper colours, since the dye could mask stains, while the wives and daughters of Jarls were fond of wearing white dresses, to show off that they could afford servants to keep those white dresses spot free and even the Edda makes note of Frigg sending Baldr's wife a white linen robe)
And India historically had access to brighter dyes earlier than Europe.
From what I remember the Colours that historically, in Europe were difficult, to dye clothes in are bight/vivid greens (hence why the Victorians used arsenic dyes, because it was finally an affordable way to have strong, vivid green clothes. Dull green were easier to dye), bright blues/cyans and, of course purple.

So maybe purple could be restricted to Empire-tier characters?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well that would very much depend on the dye and on the region. Colours like Red and Yellow, for example, were generally available to, at least, the nobility in medieval times. Viking farmers were able to dye their clothes red, yellow and dark blue (in fact, in that case, the lower classes wore clothes with deeper colours, since the dye could mask stains, while the wives and daughters of Jarls were fond of wearing white dresses, to show off that they could afford servants to keep those white dresses spot free and even the Edda makes note of Frigg sending Baldr's wife a white linen robe)
And India historically had access to brighter dyes earlier than Europe.
From what I remember the Colours that historically, in Europe were difficult, to dye clothes in are bight/vivid greens (hence why the Victorians used arsenic dyes, because it was finally an affordable way to have strong, vivid green clothes. Dull green were easier to dye), bright blues/cyans and, of course purple.

So maybe purple could be restricted to Empire-tier characters?
A vivid green was quite accessible - but not necessarily quick or cheap. You dyed blue woad cloth with a strong yellow. (Lincoln and Kendal greens were both done this way.)

The problem was that double dying is difficult to get consistent between lots as you can get it wrong on *both* dying jobs that are required. And of course if either component of the dye starts to fade, the whole thing discolours. It's also *massively* time consuming to do, compared to dying things a single time.

A very acceptable purple could be obtained by overdying blue (woad) and red (madder), although the red component (at least in Western Europe) was prone to fading, so redying might well be required.
You could also dye blue and overdye with crimson for a more stable, rich purple.

Some flavours, yes - but not the entire RGB grid like in The Sims 3 and like the quoted post suggests. This only came with synthetic dyes. Some set of dyes would be more reasonable.
You can get quite a few red and yellow shades from madder and lichens - and onions will give a quite pretty yellow. England and France had another very strong yellow available from "weld".

Now, sure we can't get the entire RGB grid, but we could certainly get a couple of versions of each primary and secondary colour, and maybe some of the tertiaries.

True black is difficult, but *really* dark grey is manageable.

• 1Like
Reactions: